The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It felt like it just try-hard "edgy" and applying what made BSG 2004 work to something that was a good wholesome action yarn in previous incarnations
I guess that's fair. It was radically different than either of the other shows but I still dug it, and the mystery of what was past the edge of the universe.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Wow, no one else feels passionately about Weezer. It illustrates my point beautifully.
I passionately enjoy the first record. That's the only one I own, though.

Y'know what's funny? In like 2001 I was listening to that record, and talking to some girl I was friends with online about how underrated Weezer had been, and she wasn't much younger than me but she was like, "Who's Weezer? I never heard of them." It was weird. Then 6 months later "Hash Pipe" came out, and one day she tells me she's all excited about going to the Weezer concert one weekend. I'm like, "Remember I talked about them like 6 months ago and you had no idea who they were?" "No..."

People are weird.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #43
snake
Disgusting

You don’t like Pinkerton? The absolute single most important album of the 90s? The most relevant album for any teenage virgin loser ever? Get outta here, dude.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

Confession Time: Don't own it, never heard the entire thing in sequence, just a few songs. I know, I gotta fix that.

I also only own ONE (1) Led Zeppelin record. I'm behind on lots of stuff, man. It ain't personal.

If you knew exactly how much of my "music listening" time was spent blasting "Real American" on repeat for nebulous reasons, this would all make a lot more sense.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #45
snake
Disgusting

Oh wow. I actually can’t believe you’ve never heard Pinkerton. Jesus. I mean, listen to it now if you really want to, but I think it’s like Star Wars. If you didn’t hear it when you were young then you’re going to be missing out on the full effect. Personally, it’s probably the album I can relate to most out of anything I’ve ever listened to, but the confessional nature of it probably isn’t going to give an almost middle aged man the same feelings it would a 15 year old kid.

Basically, it’s still an amazing work, but the emotional aspect to it is probably going to be lost or downplayed if you aren’t living it, man.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Either way, he is Legend.

I'm not what you'd call a "huge fan", but I own a few records and it's a "Must-Listen" whenever one of his songs comes on.

I think I once played Bat II on a loop for like three days when I was a teenager.
The line "If you want my views of history, then there's something you should know/The three men I admire most are Curly, Larry and More" is a real hidden gem. Everybody knows "I Would Do Anything For Love", but that entire album is just the perfect balance between overwhelmingly bombastic and empowering and insufferably pretentious. Just the way I likes it!

LOL, yup! That line is actually one of my favorites from that album, though by far the best songs on it were Objects in the Rearview Mirror and Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through.

Welcome to the Neighborhood had several gems too, like his version of Original Sin, and my personal favorites Not a Dry Eye in the House, Out of the Frying Pan (and Into the Fire), and Good Girls Go to Heaven (But the Bad Girls Go Everywhere). Bat III's In the Land of the Pigs(the Butcher is King) is a real gem, along with The Monster is Loose and his cover of It's All Coming Back to Me.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not sure if it's really "Rock N Roll" if you can't stick a piano in there somewhere.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Lol! I love his instrumental talent, too. Monstro is A-MAZE-ING....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #49
snake
Disgusting

The age is really showing in this thread.

I never got into Meatloaf and that specific subset of dadrock. Like, I listen to a lot of music, but I never got the appeal behind Zepplin and the sort. It’s almost too soft for me or something and there’s just too much material and apparently only half of it is any good. My only exposure to Meatloaf is Rocky Horror Picture Show, and he does a lovely job there, so I don’t hate him at all.

I don’t know, I hate a lot of artists that are considered “essentials”. Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead might be my top 2 most hated with Prince and AC-DC trailing not far behind.

I love Sabbath though. They’re f*cking legendary and are responsible for creating an entire genre and multiple subgenres.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

I am with you on having an intense disdain for both Floyd and the Dead.

I've had people seriously almost hit me for saying I don't like Floyd, but that's how it is. They easily could have written ONE song, called it "Hooray For Heroin", recorded it a few dozen times and nobody'd even notice.

The Grateful Dead is music for people who really like walking around outdoors with no shoes on, never washing their shirt, and beginning every sentence with the word "Man", but really, really, really hate music.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #51
snake
Disgusting

Spot on. Floyd is just a combination of how pretentious people get when they get brought up, and like, the distinction between the way they’re talked about and the quality of their actual music (sh*t). They’re boooooooring too. I love Radiohead, so it’s not like I don’t like music with a slower tempo, but Floyd is just trash. Knocking out someone wearing a DSOTM tee shluld be legal.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:46 AM   #52
Leo656
The Franchise

I know what you mean. Angels And Airwaves supposedly were heavily influenced by Pink Floyd, but I think they're like 1,000 times better. And that they actually sound more like early-80s U2 most of the time anyway.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #53
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I never thought I'd meet anyone who didn't like Floyd, let alone two people in the same thread.

The whole discography? No songs at all? Let alone Darkside of the Moon, which is just an incredible album through and through, there's gotta be SOMETHING in there. . .
Old 03-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

Not so far! But I definitely hate everything that the radio's ever played of theirs, and that honestly hasn't made me want to scratch any deeper.

Statistically, though, you're right, there's probably at least one song I wouldn't hate and I simply haven't heard it yet. If it's meant to be, it'll come.

I'm generally not big onto psychedelic music or Prog Rock. Very few exceptions, AVA being the most notable one.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #55
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Power Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
disney star wars.

Power Rangers.

Pokemon.

Jar Jar.

Hayden Christiensen....at least as Anakin skywalker.

Social Justice Warriors.
White Knights.

the above times ten and all the drama that goes with them... sigh.
Why do you dislike the Power Rangers? Because it took over and the TMNT began to decline?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #56
Vegita-San
Emperor

pretty much. and we got that god awful live action version instead of another season of the cartoon.

although, I will admit that the toon would have ended anyway thanks to CBS dropping it's morning lineup, and if Power Rangers hadn't come along when it did, something else would have ended tmnt's run too.

although, Power Rangers has someone stayed on the air for 25 years and doesn't' seem to show signs of slowing down. same goes for pokemon. how that happens i'll never understand.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #57
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Power Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
pretty much. and we got that god awful live action version instead of another season of the cartoon.

although, I will admit that the toon would have ended anyway thanks to CBS dropping it's morning lineup, and if Power Rangers hadn't come along when it did, something else would have ended tmnt's run too.

although, Power Rangers has someone stayed on the air for 25 years and doesn't' seem to show signs of slowing down. same goes for pokemon. how that happens i'll never understand.
So, the Power Rangers have more popular than the Ninja Turtles all the time since 1993.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #58
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Pretty much just BayTurtles and "Answer The Call" (Ghostbusters 2016).

Very few things in entertainment annoy me to the point I wish they didn't exist. Most things are pretty tolerable.
Not even Smallville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Don't you mean all of Pokemon after Johto? I stopped watching once Hoenn started and Brock and Misty went their separate ways from Ash.
Hmm, Brock travelled with Ash, May and Max in Hoenn, I think. I remember watching a handful of episodes back in the day and seeing him around. But maybe he wasn't around for the entirety of Hoenn and only came back later in the saga?

Pokémon's anime pattern of replacing the main girl every new region is an odd thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Wow, no one else feels passionately about Weezer. It illustrates my point beautifully.
I don't think I even know who Weezer is.

Quote:
Confession Time: Don't own it, never heard the entire thing in sequence, just a few songs. I know, I gotta fix that.

I also only own ONE (1) Led Zeppelin record. I'm behind on lots of stuff, man. It ain't personal.

If you knew exactly how much of my "music listening" time was spent blasting "Real American" on repeat for nebulous reasons, this would all make a lot more sense.
I hear you. I'm also behind in a lot of stuff. Not to mention there's so much stuff out there that it's impossible to keep track of everything. You're always gonna miss something big.

Quote:
I am with you on having an intense disdain for both Floyd and the Dead.

I've had people seriously almost hit me for saying I don't like Floyd, but that's how it is. They easily could have written ONE song, called it "Hooray For Heroin", recorded it a few dozen times and nobody'd even notice.

The Grateful Dead is music for people who really like walking around outdoors with no shoes on, never washing their shirt, and beginning every sentence with the word "Man", but really, really, really hate music.
Pink Floyd are good when they're at the top of their game, but they're pretty much an "album band", which means they're not an ideal band for shuffling. Now, I enjoy listening to full albums from time to time, but I mostly listen to music on my phone nowadays when I'm outside or riding public transport. That's not the ideal time to be listening to full albums. I'd rather listen to full albums at home when I'm paying attention to the music instead of basically using it as background noise.

Quote:
Not so far! But I definitely hate everything that the radio's ever played of theirs, and that honestly hasn't made me want to scratch any deeper.

Statistically, though, you're right, there's probably at least one song I wouldn't hate and I simply haven't heard it yet. If it's meant to be, it'll come.

I'm generally not big onto psychedelic music or Prog Rock. Very few exceptions, AVA being the most notable one.
I don't care much about Queen myself. I dunno. They just don't do it for me. It's one of those bands EVERYONE loves as well, so I always feel like I have to defend myself when I publicly admit to not liking it as much as most people claim to.

Prog is fine at times, but a lot of prog songs are needlessly long as hell. If a song is gonna be over 10 minutes long it better have a reason.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #59
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Hmm, Brock travelled with Ash, May and Max in Hoenn, I think. I remember watching a handful of episodes back in the day and seeing him around. But maybe he wasn't around for the entirety of Hoenn and only came back later in the saga?

Pokémon's anime pattern of replacing the main girl every new region is an odd thing.
It was a then episode break starting with Hoeen Alone. Brock met up with Ash around the time of his first badge. I was in the 11th grade by then anyway. Brock and Misty made Pokemon for me. Ash was bland.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #60
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It was a then episode break starting with Hoeen Alone. Brock met up with Ash around the time of his first badge. I was in the 11th grade by then anyway. Brock and Misty made Pokemon for me. Ash was bland.
I've never liked the Pokémon anime much, tbh. I dunno how some people have been watching it since episode 1 from like 1999 to now. For ages it was an episodic formulaic show where Ash % co travelled, met people and Pokémon along the way and had to deal with TR trying to steal Pikachu every episode. Maybe the formula has changed since then, but it was still more or less that up until Hoenn. Having to sit through hundreds of episodes like that seems like a torture.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging nerds, make me forget!