The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
80s cartoons have dated as much as any other era. Today's cartoons will look ugly as hell in a couple of generations time and then we'll get 15 year olds saying how 'pathetic' the animation in stuff like Adventure Time and My Little Pony Friendship is Magic were while neatoman furiously defends them.
I don't know about neatoman, but I will furiously defend Mlp FiM to my dying breath

Anyways, regarding the thread topic, I agree its confusing. As far as I know, Lionsgate owns the right to the series itself but Nickelodeon can use the characters, VAs, recreate the music as long as they don't use anything from the series itself, hence the cameos/crossovers in their show.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #22
AKaun6899
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Anyways, regarding the thread topic, I agree its confusing. As far as I know, Lionsgate owns the right to the series itself but Nickelodeon can use the characters, VAs, recreate the music as long as they don't use anything from the series itself, hence the cameos/crossovers in their show.
Thank you! But are the clips of the theme song used in the crossovers new or recycled, because Nickelodeon can be stingy regarding licensed music.
AKaun6899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #23
Xav
Foot Elite

Why does the Fred Wolf site have "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" listed as two different show?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKaun6899 View Post
Thank you! But are the clips of the theme song used in the crossovers new or recycled, because Nickelodeon can be stingy regarding licensed music.
There are no clips of the theme song used in the crossovers. There are some retraced clips from the original theme song's animation done in Flash but nothing literally copied and pasted from it. The 80s soundtrack from the Nick crossover, despite sounding identical in parts, is also a recreation.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #25
AKaun6899
Random Punk

Quote:
There are no clips of the theme song used in the crossovers. There are some retraced clips from the original theme song's animation done in Flash but nothing literally copied and pasted from it. The 80s soundtrack from the Nick crossover, despite sounding identical in parts, is also a recreation.
I was referring to audio clips. I didn't know they were recreations. They sounded spot-on.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:17 AM   #26
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Does Kevin Eastman still do the YouTube Q&A thing? He probably knows if someone asks him.

Edit - his last one was a year ago. Just checked.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:46 AM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I don't know about neatoman, but I will furiously defend Mlp FiM to my dying breath
The thing about He-Man is that it doesn't just look dated today, it looks primitive even for it's time. I'm not gonna sit here and say the early days of outsourced animation looked good, it was horribly rushed just to satisfy the damands of toy companies, but at least it was a bit of an improvement from before. He-Man on the other hand looks like such a step backwards, if I didn't know any better I'd say it was made in the late 60's.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:04 AM   #28
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The thing about He-Man is that it doesn't just look dated today, it looks primitive even for it's time. I'm not gonna sit here and say the early days of outsourced animation looked good, it was horribly rushed just to satisfy the damands of toy companies, but at least it was a bit of an improvement from before. He-Man on the other hand looks like such a step backwards, if I didn't know any better I'd say it was made in the late 60's.
You sure you were meant to respond to my post? I didn't talk about He-Man at all.

Regardless, I personally love the He-Man cartoon. Sure, the animation reminds me of something from the 60s like Flintstones but I still find it to be charming and enjoyable.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 03-23-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
You sure you were meant to respond to my post? I didn't talk about He-Man at all.

Regardless, I personally love the He-Man cartoon. Sure, the animation reminds me of something from the 60s like Flintstones but I still find it to be charming and enjoyable.
He-Man in comparison to MLP. I meant that MLP looks more of it's time than He-Man, so it's easier to defend the quality of it's animation.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #30
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Why does the Fred Wolf site have "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" listed as two different show?
Probably because it first aired in syndication, then during mid-season 4 CBS took over. But its still the same series.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Probably because it first aired in syndication, then during mid-season 4 CBS took over. But its still the same series.
That's... Odd. What's the point? To showcase a new deal at the time? Some contractual obligation?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #32
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
With neatoman I always feel ignorance must be bliss.

Quote:
As far as I know, Lionsgate owns the right to the series itself but Nickelodeon can use the characters, VAs, recreate the music as long as they don't use anything from the series itself, hence the cameos/crossovers in their show.
Lionsgate only have distribution rights for home video formats, that is all.

Quote:
He-Man in comparison to MLP. I meant that MLP looks more of it's time than He-Man, so it's easier to defend the quality of it's animation.
Are you trying to say the cheap computer Flash animation of MLP is better for today's audience than the handcrafted if limited animation of He-Man that was similar at times to Hanna Barbera's stuff? I mean you can't compare man.

Quote:
The thing about He-Man is that it doesn't just look dated today, it looks primitive even for it's time. I'm not gonna sit here and say the early days of outsourced animation looked good,
Outsourced? What are talking about?! I'm pretty certain all Filmation cartoons were done on site, that was what they prided themselves on after all. You sound like you have no idea who Filmation are or their history? If that's the case I would hold off criticisms you cannot back up like with Fred Wolf Films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I can answer this: The first credit belongs to MWS from Seasons 1-4 (the syndicated episodes). Originally the studio was just called MW but later became MWS. When CBS picked up the show with the second half of Season 4 Wolf Jimmy Murakami and Charles Swenson had less involvement with the production of the show or abandoned it so Wolf renamed the company Fred Wolf Films. That explains the second credit from Season 4-10.

This should help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Wolf_Films
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #33
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
With neatoman I always feel ignorance must be bliss.
I wouldn't go that far...

Quote:
Lionsgate only have distribution rights for home video formats, that is all.
I wish they would re-release the 80s show on Blu-Ray with all the episodes on 1-2 discs. I would definetly love to keep it for the novelty value even though everything is online these days.

Quote:
Are you trying to say the cheap computer Flash animation of MLP is better for today's audience than the handcrafted if limited animation of He-Man that was similar at times to Hanna Barbera's stuff? I mean you can't compare man.
To be fair, I've seen most casuals/reviewers praise Mlp's animation as colourful/bright etc. But in the end, its just down to personal preference. I still prefer Hand Drawn to Flash these days for the most part.

Quote:
I can answer this: The first credit belongs to MWS from Seasons 1-4 (the syndicated episodes). Originally the studio was just called MW but later became MWS. When CBS picked up the show with the second half of Season 4 Wolf Jimmy Murakami and Charles Swenson had less involvement with the production of the show or abandoned it so Wolf renamed the company Fred Wolf Films. That explains the second credit from Season 4-10.
It could also be a simple error on the website to list tmnt twice but who knows, your explanation makes the most sense assuming it was deliberate.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #34
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far...
With neatoman? Yep I would!

Quote:
I wish they would re-release the 80s show on Blu-Ray with all the episodes on 1-2 discs.
So would I but I doubt very much they'd want to fit every episode over 2 discs. That's impossible really. You're looking more at 10 to 15 discs taking into account extras as well. Maybe more.

Quote:
I still prefer Hand Drawn to Flash these days for the most part.
I still have nightmares of when that Spanish animated Top Cat movie came out (shudders).

Quote:
It could also be a simple error on the website to list tmnt twice but who knows, your explanation makes the most sense assuming it was deliberate.
Just checked again:

""Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - 1988/89
65 half-hour episodes: For distribution by Group W"

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" - 1990/96
72 half-hour episodes: Produced for CBS' Saturday morning line-up"

Yep, 100% sure it was deliberate.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Here's another example of the official TMNT channel using screencaps directly lifted from the Fred Wolf series:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg_lb8IgGLx/?taken-by=tmnt

More often than not, when it's a clip or gift, they stick to 4Kids-era animation.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #36
AKaun6899
Random Punk

On a similar note, I was in FYE today, and they had large figurines of the Turtles as they appear in the 90s movies. Only Nickelodeon and Viacom were credited on the boxes.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #37
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
80's cartoons in general were a weird breed. Hanna-Barbera made all those classic shows and Superfriends at the time, and there weren't that many competing studios at the time.

Cartoons didn't really take off till the 90's, except back then they also made countless cartoons based on movies or shows that only ran 26-65 episodes. Then the anime craze happened in the late 90's and early 2000's so less new stuff was produced, but then that died down and here we are in the modern era of Nick and Disney shows.
Not sure on that?

He-man? She-Ra? MY little Pony? Jem? Bravestarr? Thundarr? Galaxy Rangers? Jace and the Road Warriors? Inspector Gadget? And even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all got there start in the 1980's. Than we had the cartoon movies like Fire and Ice and Heavy Metal.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #38
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Not sure on that?

He-man? She-Ra? MY little Pony? Jem? Bravestarr? Thundarr? Galaxy Rangers? Jace and the Road Warriors? Inspector Gadget? And even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all got there start in the 1980's. Than we had the cartoon movies like Fire and Ice and Heavy Metal.
Exactly! 80s cartoons were huge. Why do you think Saturday morning cartoons became an event?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #39
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I was searching around VUDU today and it seems the Fred Wolf series is no longer listed on the site. I'm curious what that might mean for the rumored re-release of the series on dvd this year.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #40
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I was searching around VUDU today and it seems the Fred Wolf series is no longer listed on the site. I'm curious what that might mean for the rumored re-release of the series on dvd this year.
Is the DVD release still a rumour? I thought it was confirmed?

VUDU probably are re-negotiating the rights as they've run out.

Tags
fred wolf series