The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #41
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's almost entirely Jesus Bible humpers and overly religious people down south. I don't care how religious you are, don't enforce your beliefs onto others and don't hate people who don't believe in the same thing you do.

They're basically like a cult, as you said. Some of them really are insane and think they're possessed by angels or demons or some other such nonsense.
I said "in the Americas". Meaning both North America and Latin America. Lots of people in Latin American nations seem to be very religious as well.

It wasn't until Brazilian immigrants began "invading" Portugal that I began seeing "Evangelist churches" and "7th Day Adventist" places popping up. What is a 7th Day Adventist even?!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #42
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Despite what Cubed said it's NOT almost entirely super-religious foljs here in the South- YES, people are more serious about their religion, and many are very outspoken about their particular brand of Chritianity, but about half are of the garden variety average church-goers, or just on holidays. However there IS a very vocal minority that feel the need to "save" everyone else around them, especially if those others believe something different that they don't understand.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

Don't sweat, I'm very well aware how rich Cubed's knowledge of the world is by now.

But yeah, don't get me wrong, there's definitely lots of very religious people in the Old Continent still, but it seems they're just less outspoken and in your face overall. Per example, I watch a lot of football, and it seems most Brazilian players and many other Latin American players in general, like to reference Jesus and God in their interviews or have it written on their underneath t-shirts "100% Jesus". I really don't see European players doing that nearly as much. It's like, it's sorta considered "rude" and "intrusive" to directly ask about someone's religious beliefs here.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Religion is also where all these people feel justified for being rude, nasty or downright villainous to people. They feel their religion justifies their actions, so if they kill someone they say, "God told me to do it."

Religion really is the worst. It also cause many to be racist and prejudice.

How do you think Trump got elected president? Literally all the racist and religious Christians voted for him to, "make America white again" and get all the Muslims and foreign people out of America. These are the type of people you're dealing with, especially the southern folk down south.

A shame really. In for a penny, in for a pound. What goes around comes around. Do onto others what you will have them do onto you.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #45
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Religion is also where all these people feel justified for being rude, nasty or downright villainous to people. They feel their religion justifies their actions, so if they kill someone they say, "God told me to do it."

How do you think Trump got elected president? Literally all the racist and religious Christians voted for him to, "make America white again" and get all the Muslims and foreign people out of America. These are the type of people you're dealing with.

A shame really. In for a penny, in for a pound. What goes around comes around. Do onto others what you will have them do onto you.
I wouldn't go that far. Most religious people are normal everyday folk like you and me. See, that's the thing. Being religious or not is NOT what defines your character.

And I don't think it were just "racist Billy Bob hillbillies" voting for Trump at all.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Well he's HALF right on that one. Racist RICH hillbilly-Bobs and corporate grognards who want to go back to the days when they could chomp their cigars at their men's clubs in peace without all those women and gays and ethnic people trying to nose their way in. And all so they can feel superior and make tons of money that they just sit on and do nothing with, other than buy expensive crap like gold toilets. Or they are the poor racist hillbillies who think everyone else is out to take their jobs homes or women.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #47
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Well he's HALF right on that one. Racist RICH hillbilly-Bobs and corporate grognards who want to go back to the days when they could chomp their cigars at their men's clubs in peace without all those women and gays and ethnic people trying to nose their way in. And all so they can feel superior and make tons of money that they just sit on and do nothing with, other than buy expensive crap like gold toilets. Or they are the poor racist hillbillies who think everyone else is out to take their jobs homes or women.
I still think a lot more people who don't fit that description have voted for Trump than they're willing to admit. Form what I gather, Hillary was not a very sympathetic candidate... well neither was Trump, but Trump didn't have any stains on his political record since he had none before getting into office.

Anyway, most Americans didn't even bother voting.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I certainly did- and it wasn't for Trump that is for sure. But my point was the mindset of the people who DID vote for him. I live in a "Red State" where his sort of voters are the majority. I hear them talk all the time about how "bad" Hillary (and Obama) is, while blindly ignoring every cringe-worthy comment and social blunder from their "golden boy". It's disheartening to say the least. And most of them are from the older generations, or those too young to know better because they grew up in an age where fact-checking is too much work and politicians are automatically "bad" even when they really are not. So he won on a technicality based on misinformation and disillusionment. The religious right and the pro-gun, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-immigration crowd.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #49
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I certainly did- and it wasn't for Trump that is for sure. But my point was the mindset of the people who DID vote for him. I live in a "Red State" where his sort of voters are the majority. I hear them talk all the time about how "bad" Hillary (and Obama) is, while blindly ignoring every cringe-worthy comment and social blunder from their "golden boy". It's disheartening to say the least. And most of them are from the older generations, or those too young to know better because they grew up in an age where fact-checking is too much work and politicians are automatically "bad" even when they really are not. So he won on a technicality based on misinformation and disillusionment. The religious right and the pro-gun, anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-immigration crowd.
I don't doubt that such people were a huge chunk of his voting base, but let's face it, the left wing can also be blamed for losing this election. It's not like Hillary was a nobody. She was a well known figure already and even the polls pointed to her winning easily.

Now allow me to go an tangent and say that politics have been disappointing people all over the Western world lately, and the more mainstreamish and the closest parties and politicians to the centre haven't been able to gain voters' trust. Many people look in shock and horror at European countries and ask themselves "why are a woman like Marine Le Pen and a guy like Geert Wilders getting more and more popular?". Traditional parties are a lot to blame for the economic issues here in the Old Continent lately. And I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd party candidates have been getting more votes and popularity in the US of A lately.

When people are desperate, they vote for certain people, no matter how shady they might be. Trump certainly has charisma, even though he is extremely rude and a flat out asshole.

That being said, people who thought Trump was anti-system... well a loaded as f*ck guy could never be that. He IS part of said system!

Oh and believe me, many people in Europe actually like Trump. Not saying it's the majority or anything, but I read news sites from several countries and other forums and many people from countries like Portugal, Spain, the UK and France seem to like Trump. An outspoken minority of people that is, but they're out there.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #50
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Anyway, most Americans didn't even bother voting.
This is inaccurate.
While only slightly more than 50% of Americans who could vote voted, around the quarter of those who didn't were kept from voting for one reason or another.

That's nowhere near the same thing as saying most Americans did not vote.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:38 PM   #51
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
I don't doubt that such people were a huge chunk of his voting base, but let's face it, the left wing can also be blamed for losing this election. It's not like Hillary was a nobody. She was a well known figure already and even the polls pointed to her winning easily.

Now allow me to go an tangent and say that politics have been disappointing people all over the Western world lately, and the more mainstreamish and the closest parties and politicians to the centre haven't been able to gain voters' trust. Many people look in shock and horror at European countries and ask themselves "why are a woman like Marine Le Pen and a guy like Geert Wilders getting more and more popular?". Traditional parties are a lot to blame for the economic issues here in the Old Continent lately. And I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd party candidates have been getting more votes and popularity in the US of A lately.

When people are desperate, they vote for certain people, no matter how shady they might be. Trump certainly has charisma, even though he is extremely rude and a flat out asshole.

That being said, people who thought Trump was anti-system... well a loaded as f*ck guy could never be that. He IS part of said system!

Oh and believe me, many people in Europe actually like Trump. Not saying it's the majority or anything, but I read news sites from several countries and other forums and many people from countries like Portugal, Spain, the UK and France seem to like Trump. An outspoken minority of people that is, but they're out there.

No Hillary wasn't a nobody- that was part of the problem. People here like to paint her with the same brush as Bill and apparently it worked. Whether she was ever guilty of anything isn't even important- she was automatically guilty by association. And none of the other contenders had enough popularity or clout to really stand a chance. So Chump won by default- and you are right, he IS part of that system, and is one of the biggest movers and shakers in it to boot! I found it utterly disgusting the baldfaced lying and delusional thinking but many swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 03-03-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:17 AM   #52
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I said "in the Americas". Meaning both North America and Latin America. Lots of people in Latin American nations seem to be very religious as well.

It wasn't until Brazilian immigrants began "invading" Portugal that I began seeing "Evangelist churches" and "7th Day Adventist" places popping up. What is a 7th Day Adventist even?!
My mother grew up in a Seventh Day Adventist church and I went to one briefly when young. They just celebrate the Sabbath on a Saturday (like in the Jewish calendar)...think it's Protestant. They taught about the second coming of Jesus or something. The only thing I remember is that from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday you're supposedly to not do things like play cards and stuff (the looks I got from the other kids was of terror when I even remotely suggested it). Oh you're also not supposed to watch TV, play video games, and stuff on the Sabbath. The diet is also vegetarian/vegan and you're definitely not supposed to eat pork. Yeah, my mom didn't follow that. lol She quit it, like every other church she tried, because of the rules. We did go back to our old church, which was non-denominational, meaning it doesn't cater to one sect or whatever. No matter which branch you believe in, you're welcome to join.

That particular church helped my family. When I was 4, my parents were struggling. They'd just moved from New York to Virginia and stuff. The church gave us food. We were forever grateful, and back then, the church was super small. It grew over the years...but I haven't been back since I graduated high school and neither have my parents. ^^
Quote:
No Hillary wasn't a nobody- that was part of the problem. People here like to paint her with the same brush as Bill and apparently it worked. Whether she was ever guilty of anything isn't even important- she was automatically guilty by association. And none of the other contenders had enough popularity or clout to really stand a chance. So Chump won by default- and you are right, he IS part of that system, and is one of the biggest movers and shakers in it to boot! I found it utterly disgusting the baldfaced lying and delusional thinking but many swallowed it hook line and sinker.
I still think Sanders would've done ok.

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-04-2017 at 04:22 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #53
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Unrelated to your example but It's kinda odd/funny how so many people nowadays, even non-believers, hold superstitious beliefs. Some of them quite silly. And don't get me started on football supporters who really believe that their pre-match rituals such as wearing their "lucky boxers", "lucky scarves", or wtv, is gonna lead their team to victory.
I think part of that is psychological. I don't leave the house without my ipod and if I go I feel very insecure. I know there's no logic to it but I just find it comforting and others may be the same with other objects like phones, or make-up.
In some ways they're like cuddle blankets and we never really grow up, we just change our security objects.

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. Most religious people are normal everyday folk like you and me. See, that's the thing. Being religious or not is NOT what defines your character.
Agreed. It's also important to remember that religion is influenced by culture and people interpret their religious texts in light of their culture. In a more liberal culture like e.g. some parts of the UK, you have very LGBT+ friendly places of worship and LGBT+ preachers where as if you go to more conservative parts of the US, some places of worship won't accept interrracial couples.
It's the culture that can make the difference.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #54
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:

How do you think Trump got elected president? Literally all the racist and religious Christians voted for him to, "make America white again" and get all the Muslims and foreign people out of America. These are the type of people you're dealing with, especially the southern folk down south.

You're such a fool. Who do you think all of these "racist and religious Christians" (said the racist "atheist" who doesn't believe in evolution) voted for in 2008 and 2012? Trump has payed some lip service to the various right-leaning demographics, but he's obviously not a man of God. He's a New York City shyster.

I'm sure you have no idea how the electoral college works, but to put it simply: only a few states decide the presidency each election. This year it was mainly PA and FL, IIRC. He took a lot of union worker D votes because they liked his retarded protectionist economy crap.

Also, looking at history, it seems we just like to switch between Republican and Democrat every couple of terms anyways.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #55
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This is inaccurate.
While only slightly more than 50% of Americans who could vote voted, around the quarter of those who didn't were kept from voting for one reason or another.

That's nowhere near the same thing as saying most Americans did not vote.
Kept from voting? By whom and what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
You're such a fool. Who do you think all of these "racist and religious Christians" (said the racist "atheist" who doesn't believe in evolution) voted for in 2008 and 2012? Trump has payed some lip service to the various right-leaning demographics, but he's obviously not a man of God. He's a New York City shyster.

I'm sure you have no idea how the electoral college works, but to put it simply: only a few states decide the presidency each election. This year it was mainly PA and FL, IIRC. He took a lot of union worker D votes because they liked his retarded protectionist economy crap.

Also, looking at history, it seems we just like to switch between Republican and Democrat every couple of terms anyways.
CyberCubed doesn't believe in evolution?

Last edited by Prowler; 03-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #56
ToTheNines
[sic]

By work, and other life obligations. We had a whole crew of guys work a 20 hour day on election day and miss out. I almost didn't get back from a long job in Boston in time, and hadn't applied for an absentee ballot.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
By work, and other life obligations. We had a whole crew of guys work a 20 hour day on election day and miss out. I almost didn't get back from a long job in Boston in time, and hadn't applied for an absentee ballot.
I didn't mean that, though. I thought plastron was saying some ballots weren't working properly due to system errors or that there was any error regarding voter IDs and such.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #58
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:

CyberCubed doesn't believe in evolution?
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=56312&page=2

Quote:
I didn't mean that, though. I thought plastron was saying some ballots weren't working properly due to system errors or that there was any error regarding voter IDs and such.
Oh. Voter fraud/suppression. Sure.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #59
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
So he doesn't know that humans, albeit rational, are still animals? Didn't he get taught that in his, I dunno, first ever science class or something?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #60
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

There was this teacher that nearly always reprimanded and punished students of color (myself included). It didn't matter whether the action, big or small, justified the punishment. It didn't even matter if they committed the infraction or not. They were all "intolerable" to the teacher.

However, said teacher never actually reprimanded nor punished the white students. Even when it was clear that appropriate action should have been taken, the teacher never really did anything. The teacher basically tolerated them.

To this day, that still bothers me.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote