The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Kevin Eastman hints at a live action netflix adult themed turtles show in future.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/07...kevin-eastman/

"...I feel like that's the direction I think we can go and there'll be enough of and audience to support both. Because we do see a lot of that fans asking when can we get that edgy, you know, Netflix Daredevilish sort of intensity of the Turtles - at the same time, you can balance that with such a wonderful cartoon series like, Rise of the Turtles, the new series, back to that spot where we're sacred to a much younger audience. So I think that's hopefully in the future I'd love to see that, really."

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 07-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sounds more like wishful thinking than anything.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Is this gonna have action scenes like The Raid?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

It’s a stretch calling that a tease even.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

Do we really need 4 of these threads?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:21 AM   #6
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This is the second thread I’ve seen, personally, but yeah, I think people need to look and see if a given subject has already been started.

Regardless, good to know Kevin is on board with this idea.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:57 AM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
This is the second thread I’ve seen, personally, but yeah, I think people need to look and see if a given subject has already been started.

Regardless, good to know Kevin is on board with this idea.
Kevin is literally on board with every idea love his enthusiasm
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Kevin is literally on board with every idea love his enthusiasm
He and Peter needed to meet in the middle, some are great while others just get your franchise's name out there is bad business in the long run.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yeah. I’m deleting mine lol.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
Shinigami
Thug

Does anyone know how to delete threads I made that are duplicates of this? One was an accident, the other was a duplicate of another one of these.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

a live action turtle show on the level of Daredevil... I mean that would be even better than a movie in most cases, but it sounds too good to be true. I have no doubt they could be shopping around something like that, but for it to get greenlit seems like a pipedream.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

Did everyone here see the Collider Youtube channel's sit down with Kevin Eastman from last month? I just stumbled upon it last night but had no idea it existed. Sorry, I can't link it at the moment, but a quick youtube search should find it.

I found it pretty interesting. He seems to be opening up to the fact that he tried to give Platinum Dunes his advice, and they basically showed him the door. He seemed hesitant to reveal anything but pleasantries before, when it came to that situation, but it appears more info is now available. I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially says that while PD was sure hardcore fans would show up, and they need only focus on bringing in new fans, Kevin was arguing that you don't want to piss off the original TMNT fans, and that original TMNT fans need to be won over first. Kevin says at that point they stopped taking his advice and the turtles became 6 ft tall bulletproof monsters.

I have to wonder what his status with them now is. He mentions that they do sometimes fill him in on what is going on. Maybe they will take his opinion to heart this time around, who knows. It feels a bit cathartic just knowing they shunned Kevins advice regarding hardcore fans, and it blew up all over their face.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oh, don't get my hopes up... *passes out* lol But it's good that the idea of anything along those lines is starting to be HEARD and supported by those who actually have a voice that the decision makers might actually hear.

Even if a Netflix series doesn't happen, at least it's more voice toward more serious takes on them rather than only allowing Nick to go "younger" and younger and stubbornly cling to the idea that they're "just a kids thing"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Kevin was arguing that you don't want to piss off the original TMNT fans, and that original TMNT fans need to be won over first. Kevin says at that point they stopped taking his advice and the turtles became 6 ft tall bulletproof monsters.
That's a shame, considering the larger majority of new fans will be kids, many of whom may have parents who ARE the old fans and may well be the one taking them to see it in the first place. PD is not run by very rational people, is it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-23-2019 at 01:10 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm all for this. But doesn't Nickelodeon have final say on whether to allow a mature themed TMNT show? They are the sole owners of this property.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Did everyone here see the Collider Youtube channel's sit down with Kevin Eastman from last month? I just stumbled upon it last night but had no idea it existed. Sorry, I can't link it at the moment, but a quick youtube search should find it.

I found it pretty interesting. He seems to be opening up to the fact that he tried to give Platinum Dunes his advice, and they basically showed him the door. He seemed hesitant to reveal anything but pleasantries before, when it came to that situation, but it appears more info is now available. I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially says that while PD was sure hardcore fans would show up, and they need only focus on bringing in new fans, Kevin was arguing that you don't want to piss off the original TMNT fans, and that original TMNT fans need to be won over first. Kevin says at that point they stopped taking his advice and the turtles became 6 ft tall bulletproof monsters.

I have to wonder what his status with them now is. He mentions that they do sometimes fill him in on what is going on. Maybe they will take his opinion to heart this time around, who knows. It feels a bit cathartic just knowing they shunned Kevins advice regarding hardcore fans, and it blew up all over their face.

That's the same interview where he when the interview talks about pizza being the 'heart' of the turtle and asks how Kevin came up with it he just rolls with it as if the pizza was a thing in the Mirage comics.

If I remember correctly he said he'd prefer a new movie to be a combination of the 1990 movie and the '03 series which I'm not sure he's ever seen but probably knows has a following via Tom Waltz being a fan of that version.

Kevin does have a tendency of just saying things he knows people want to hear and I wonder if ragging a little on the Platinum Dunes movies and making out he pushed aside early on after maintaining that he was consulted all the way and loved what they were doing while those movies were new is just the latest thing he knows fans want to hear.

I'm not ragging on the guy for it. It makes him a great spokesman for the brand but I'd take anything he says with a pinch of salt including the possibility of a dark live action series. Putting aside issues of whether Nickelodeon would allow darker material there's no way cgi turtles would work on a TV budget and I'm no expert on animatronics and puppetry but even coming up with something somewhat convincing with rubber suits also strikes me as a stretch on a TV budget. I could see a one off special at a push but a whole series seems far fetched to me.

Last edited by Galactus; 07-23-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I'm all for this. But doesn't Nickelodeon have final say on whether to allow a mature themed TMNT show? They are the sole owners of this property.
They literally greenlit the Batman crossover movie which has people getting their heads chopped off.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They literally greenlit the Batman crossover movie which has people getting their heads chopped off.
That's only PG-13. On Netflix they can push it to R rated territory.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

No one liked the current live action films though, what chances do they have with a live action series?
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #19
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
A ninja star through a foot soldier's skull, a security guard's head chopped off while his headless body falls, and Shredder's blades through a man's back and protruding through a blood soaked chest!
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Is this gonna have action scenes like The Raid?
No, but Kevin will probably say it will. He always says that. And District 13, etc., etc., etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Yes, but seemingly in the light of the failure of the last PD movies, they're open to letting other big companies wanting to license the TMNT getting some leeway. Like when WB came in and "rented" the TMNT for their Batman crossover movie which was slightly edgier than Nick has ever allowed in anything else.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote