The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

It disturbs me greatly for some reason when I see people say the early 2000's, "was their childhood."

Good god am I old.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #42
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It disturbs me greatly for some reason when I see people say the early 2000's, "was their childhood."

Good god am I old.
Well, being born in 1990 and teenage years "officially" beginning at the age of 13, I don't think it's inaccurate for me to claim 2000-2002 being part of my childhood as well. Especially since I was born in November, meaning I was 9 years old for most of 2000 and 11 for most of 2002.

It wasn't until late 2002/early 2003 when I was 12 that I began disliking stuffed toys and began not feeling like a little kid anymore. I was now beginning to feel like an angsty teen and no longer a cheerful and naive child.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #43
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

Good god am I old.

Eh, still a young wbippersnapper compared to some of us!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My brother, on the other hand, was born in 1983 and he does not remember the 80s.
I was born in 1981 and I remember... moments of the 80s. I remember buying Sega Master System games at Video Only, birthday parties, laying on my belly watching cable TV, cartoons, toys, drawing stuff... just little memories here and there... but I don't really feel like I "experienced" the true 80s.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #45
newfan
Mad Scientist

I wonder if people relate more to the decate of their teen/young years over their childhood decade.
My dad has an affection for the 70s but I feel more for the 80s than the 90s or early 2000s (maybe they just don't seem long enough ago yet )
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I'd go so far as to say that your experience would match your age at the time. Different milestones will reflect the zeitgeist.

For example, I remember growing up in the 80's and early 90's. Those were pre-school to middle school years. I'd consider high school and college to be a different time, since those were the 2000's.

I believe I experienced the 80's. I remember hair styles and shoulder pads. I remember old school rap videos and WWE. It was awesome. But it was also what a 4-5 year old would experience. It's one of the reasons I'm here.

I didn't experience the cocaine fueled parties or the material excess of the 80's the way some other people did, though.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #47
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I wonder if people relate more to the decate of their teen/young years over their childhood decade.
My dad has an affection for the 70s but I feel more for the 80s than the 90s or early 2000s (maybe they just don't seem long enough ago yet )
Well, not me. I wasn't very happy in my teen years, and a lot of the stuff at the time didn't appeal me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I'd go so far as to say that your experience would match your age at the time. Different milestones will reflect the zeitgeist.

For example, I remember growing up in the 80's and early 90's. Those were pre-school to middle school years. I'd consider high school and college to be a different time, since those were the 2000's.

I believe I experienced the 80's. I remember hair styles and shoulder pads. I remember old school rap videos and WWE. It was awesome. But it was also what a 4-5 year old would experience. It's one of the reasons I'm here.

I didn't experience the cocaine fueled parties or the material excess of the 80's the way some other people did, though.
Well ofc my brother probably remembers random things from 1988 and 1989 when he was 5-6 years old like playing the NES or the Atari. And Ghostbusters. I'd say TMNT as well, but TMNT didn't arrive here until 1990 with the first movie and then the cartoon airing afterwards. So the peak of Turtlemania here happened in 1990-1992.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

My younger/baby brother that was born in 2001 is turning 18 in a few days. Dear god.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #49
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
My younger/baby brother that was born in 2001 is turning 18 in a few days. Dear god.

And my daughter turns 12 today. Your point? I was 30 when I had her! How old do you think I feel??!!

Old 09-21-2019, 03:00 AM   #50
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
And my daughter turns 12 today. Your point? I was 30 when I had her! How old do you think I feel??!!
Duckie.. it's Cubed. He's playing the same song again. It's his schtick.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #51
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

*Le sigh* Yeah, I know. Just gets a bit tiresome when I think that he's still rather young compared so some of us. Yet bellyaches constantly about getting "old" waaaay before it will actually happen....