The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #1
oldshreddersgirl
Thug

How old is Splinter?

Yeah anyone know how old cool splinter is?
oldshreddersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshreddersgirl View Post
I don't really know. In my TMNT fanfics, and in my crossover ones, I generally make him in his early 60's.

Hmmm, now that you've got me thinking about it, though, I think I'll check the official website and see what IT says in his Profile there, IF anything.

*wanders off to do so*

EDIT: Okay, it DOESN'T list his age, but in his OWN words, Splinter says in his Profile that "My days as a warrior are reaching their sunset." He also says that "I know not what the future holds for my sons and I, but I savor each new day and eagerly await the next. Time passes all too quickly for these old bones, but I welcome its passing as the thirsty oak beckons the oncoming storm."

Of course, his age ALSO depends entirely on which UNIVERSE that he's in. In the TV series, I believe that he's an elder. In Volume 4 of the Mirage comics, he's...um (oh, there's no delicate way to put this!)...dead, having passed away from a heart-attack due to old age. (At least, I THINK that it was aheart-attck. I don't have many of the early issues of Volume 4 (must get!), I'm ashamed to admit.

Anyway, I hope that I've been of SOME help to you.

Last edited by Whitewolf89; 03-12-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
oldshreddersgirl
Thug

splinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf89 View Post
I don't really know. In my TMNT fanfics, and in my crossover ones, I generally make him in his early 60's.

Hmmm, now that you've got me thinking about it, though, I think I'll check the official website and see what IT says in his Profile there, IF anything.

*wanders off to do so*

EDIT: Okay, it DOESN'T list his age, but in his OWN words, Splinter says in his Profile that "My days as a warrior are reaching their sunset." He also says that "I know not what the future holds for my sons and I, but I savor each new day and eagerly await the next. Time passes all too quickly for these old bones, but I welcome its passing as the thirsty oak beckons the oncoming storm."
Of course, his age ALSO depends entirely on which UNIVERSE that he's in. In the TV series, I believe that he's an elder. In Volume 4 of the Mirage comics, he's...um (oh, there's no delicate way to put this!)...dead, having passed away from a heart-attack due to old age. (At least, I THINK that it was aheart-attck. I don't have many of the early issues of Volume 4 (must get!), I'm ashamed to admit.

Anyway, I hope that I've been of SOME help to you.
Thanks for the info
oldshreddersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
You're very welcome, my friend.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Well it all depends on the Universe as has been said.

Mirage: Going by all that's been said. Well he was around 50 - 60. He wasn't a normal rat to begin with because if I understand the timeline he was around 12 or 15 when mutated..plus the fact that he immitated Yoshi's movements. NOT NORMAL! Rats only live 2 years!! Splinter was born in Japan and was a pet of Yoshi. Yoshi killed Oroku Nagi when Saki was a little boy (around 10 - 12 years of age).... then years later Saki kills Teng Shen and Yoshi... Splinter had to have been extremely old already in rat terms. So I say he was around 50 - 60 years at the time of death.

In TMNTOS and The Archie series: In this He and Yoshi were one in the same. Yoshi was born in aproximatly 1933 and was around the age 12 when his home was destroyed by the atomic bomb. He, his mother, and a great uncle were survivors of the blast that destroyed Hiroshima.

2K3: I'd say Splinter is around 40 years of age once again going by the timeline. Yoshi was born sometime in the 1930's as he was an orphan of the war. So Ancient One took him in in the late 1940's/early 1950's Splinter was born in the house sometime in the 1960's and was a pet of Teng Shen for several years before her death. It's unknown how many years Yoshi was living in America before he was killed.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
heretic888
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshreddersgirl View Post
In the animated series on FoxBox, I have no idea.

According to Palladium Books' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness roleplaying game (which is basically a direct translation of the Mirage characters), however, he is ten years older than the turtles. Their listed age at the time is 15 while his is 25.

So, in other words, Splinter had lived about ten years as an "ordinary" rat before being exposed to the mutagen with the turtles. However, as the normal lifespan for rats is between three to five years, it is glaringly obvious that Splinter was not an "ordinary" rat even before his mutation (as evidenced by both his unusually long lifespan and that he could "learn" martial arts by mimicry).

So, um, your guess is as good as mine. By normal rat standards, Splinter should have been beyond ancient even before his mutation.

Laterz.
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
heretic888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Aignatius
Hench Mutant

Hmm. That is a mystery. I don't think the creators really knew much about rats when they started the story. After all, he has been depicted as more like a terrier or a cat, than anything even resembling a rodent.
Later they changed a few of the physical mistakes, but too often Splinter was depicted with the wrong sort of teeth.
So I doubt they relly knew what the age was they were working with. Maybe Splinter is actually an extraterrestrial rat. Or an alien in rat form? *shrug*
Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

I had a rat who lived 4 years. She was a cool old fart... Ayn Rat my uncle named her.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslady View Post
I had a rat who lived 4 years. She was a cool old fart... Ayn Rat my uncle named her.
My first male rat, Splinter, lived for about 2 1/2 years. Longest lived rat I had was a fawn hood dumbo named Sandy. She lived 4 years... wasn't sick a day in her life. Simply fell asleep one day and never woke up. Willye aka RMR's William Robert Drake (his father was named Iceman *L*) lived for nearly 4 years...he died 4 months short of his 4th birthday (which is my birthday as well). Willye was one of the sweetest rats I ever had...always giving kisses.

Another sweet rat I had was Julie. She was from the first rat breeding I ever did back when I was breeding rats for show. I never bred her tho cuz her mom, Ninjara, was mean and that meaness could easily be passed on. I was the only one that Ninjara even allowed near her. Julie got her sweetness from Splinter...that's for sure. Julie also died in her sleep. Unfortunatly Splinter and Ninjara both died of massive heart attacks...ugh.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Warhorse
Emperor

How old do guinea pigs live? I have had one for the past 7 years, and the person who gave him to me had him for three years prior, so he is about 10 to 11 years now. I'm just aksing, because everytime some old friend stops by, they are beyond shock that Krys is still alive and kicking. Or, I should say squealing.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
heretic888
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aignatius View Post
Hmm. That is a mystery. I don't think the creators really knew much about rats when they started the story. After all, he has been depicted as more like a terrier or a cat, than anything even resembling a rodent.
Later they changed a few of the physical mistakes, but too often Splinter was depicted with the wrong sort of teeth.
So I doubt they relly knew what the age was they were working with. Maybe Splinter is actually an extraterrestrial rat. Or an alien in rat form? *shrug*
Well, as the Palladium RPG made very clear, Splinter was technically a "mutant" of some sort even before he was exposed to the TCRI mutagen with the turtles. It wasn't simply his unnaturally long lifespan (more than double what a normal rat would live even before his mutation), it was also his unusually high intelligence and ability to mimic human movements and behavior.

Perhaps, one day, Peter Laird will explore that facet of Splinter's background in an issue of Tales of the TMNT or something. But, until then, its just a mystery.
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
heretic888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Maybe it'll be revealed that Splinter was another drawing....
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
Toonami Tom
Banned

I always think of 2k3 Splinter as being equal in age to a human that is in their 70s.
Toonami Tom is offline   Reply With Quote