The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 7,882
Could the Fred Wolf cartoon have broken continuity too seriously?

I know the title may seem weird and maybe a little hard to understand, so allow me to explain.

Fairly recently, I debated the value of continuity in the Fred Wolf cartoon and argued that even though the show wasn't very big on continuity, to some extent it must matter because the show isn't a total anthology. Since it follows what are ostensibly the same versions of the same characters, and does indeed make episodes that are direct sequels, then the show can't really afford to have rather heavy contradictions like showing Krang is from a race of Brain-like creatures in one episode and claim he was originally a Reptilian creature in another. The other guy disagreed and went so far as to claim continuity didn't even matter within season 1, even though season 1 is a five-parter and thus isn't episodic enough to defend in such a matter.

While I can understand continuity being kept somewhat loose, like keeping a floating timeline or not following up on certain characters introduced, I find it difficult to believe anyone is so disinterested in continuity to the point where the core plot or the main characters' backstories can be contradicted.

The Simpsons is a show that has never been big on continuity either but what's arguably first episode that was reviled, was so precisely because the episode broke continuity.
Spoiler:



So, Is there really no way the show could have broken continuity and you wouldn't have been OK with it?

Here's an extreme example that could have happened:
Let's say the show decided it wanted synergy with the movie because it did so well and didn't bother to explain any of the changes made. Suddenly Splinter started out as a pet rat, the Foot Clan consists of runaway teens, Bebop and Rocksteady are replaced with Tokka and Rahzar, the Ooze suddenly came from TGRI rather than the Technodrome, April now works for Channel 3/Charles rather than Channel 6/Thompson, Casey Jones is now a main character and acts more like his movie counterpart, etc.

Essentially, if the show had become "The Movies: The Animated Series" without explaining any of the changes while still clearly being the same show rather than a reboot or sequel to the movies, would you have accepted that? Because if you say yes to that question, I am really curious as to how you could think such a drastic change would be acceptable, especially if it has no in-universe explaination.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 01-09-2022 at 09:58 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I know the title may seem weird and maybe a little weird, so allow me to explain.

Fairly recently, I debated the value of continuity in the Fred Wolf cartoon and argued that even though the show wasn't very big on continuity, to some extent it must matter because the show isn't a total anthology. Since it follows what are ostensibly the same versions of the same characters, and does indeed make episodes that are direct sequels, then the can't really afford to have rather heavy contradictions like showing Krang is from a race of Brain-like creatures in one episode and claim he was originally a Reptilian creature in another. The other guy disagreed and went so far as to claim continuity didn't even matter within season 1, even though season 1 is a five-parter and thus isn't episodic enough to defend in such a matter.

While I can understand continuity being kept somewhat loose, like keeping a floating timeline or not following up on certain characters introduced, I find it difficult to believe anyone is so disinterested in continuity to the point where the core plot or the main characters' backstories can be contradicted.

The Simpsons is a show that has never been big on continuity either but what's arguably first episode that was reviled, was so precisely because the episode broke continuity.
Spoiler:



So, Is there really no way the show could have broken continuity and you wouldn't have been OK with it?

Here's an extreme example that could have happened:
Let's say the show decided it wanted synergy with the movie because it did so well and didn't bother to explain any of the changes made. Suddenly Splinter started out as a pet rat, the Foot Clan consists of runaway teens, Bebop and Rocksteady are replaced with Tokka and Rahzar, the Ooze suddenly came from TGRI rather than the Technodrome, April now works for Channel 3/Charles rather than Channel 6/Thompson, Casey Jones is now a main character and acts more like his movie counterpart, etc.

Essentially, if the show had become "The Movies: The Animated Series" without explaining any of the changes while still clearly being the same show rather than a reboot or sequel to the movies, would you have accepted that? Because if you say yes to that question, I am really curious as to how you could think such a drastic change would be acceptable, especially if it has no in-universe explaination.
It would have been incredibly jarring of course, even as kids.


Oddly enough, even though the live action movies were so different from the cartoon, I always imagined it was done that way cause it woulda been way too expensive to do the Techndrome, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady and robot Foot Soldiers, and woulda been easier to just use human Foot Soldiers and I guess Casey was used cause it's easier to use another human than another mutant, and all the focus could go on making the Turtles themselves look good.

I never knew, at the time, that it was adapting a slightly more grounded indie comic book. I thought the changes were because it woulda cost too much to stick closer to the cartoon.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:36 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 24,657
Haha, I kinda thought that as a kid, too.

Once I realized I didn't even miss Krang, the Technodrome, Bebop and Rocksteady, etc., that was probably the moment I realized I was "outgrowing" the cartoon show. I'd always loved the cartoon just fine, but once I saw the first movie it was like, "Yeah, it'd be a lot better if everything was more like this." I slowly started drifting away from the cartoon after that; I kept watching it but not as religiously anymore. By the end I wasn't even aware that they'd cancelled it. It just wasn't what I wanted from the brand anymore.

Anyways, I don't have anything to offer to the main point of the thread itself.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 4,042
I would've not been okay with the show breaking continuity by making Splinter a rat. And the show never broke continuity to that extent.

It always had some continuity throughout its run, even if it was basic as the location of the technodrome. There was a clear beginning, middle and end to the shows timeline, guest characters frequently made re-appearances and the events of past episodes were mentioned frequently.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-09-2022 at 08:29 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 24,657
Right, correct, but all of that kind of runs contrary to the claims of some people that "The FW cartoon had no serious interest in continuity, and furthermore that's part of what I liked about it." And I think that's kind of the point neatoman was trying to make. Such claims are rather contradicted by the show itself. The show DID have continuity, albeit very loosely-structured most of the time.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was part of the point of neatoman's post. Someone claimed the show never concerned itself with continuity and were praising that as a virtue, and neatoman is pointing out how that simply isn't factually correct, that while the show wasn't entirely strict with the continuity, it WAS there and without it the show would have been even "worse" than it was, because the continuity WAS there and people DID in fact care about it, at least a little bit.

If I'm wrong though, neato, feel free to correct me.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #6
Sumac
Foot Elite
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So, Is there really no way the show could have broken continuity and you wouldn't have been OK with it?
Unlikely for me.
Even though the show maintained some sort of basic continuity, they also were constantly breaking some details here and there.
So, writers were clearly willing to break timelines and details, when they saw fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Essentially, if the show had become "The Movies: The Animated Series" without explaining any of the changes while still clearly being the same show rather than a reboot or sequel to the movies, would you have accepted that? Because if you say yes to that question, I am really curious as to how you could think such a drastic change would be acceptable, especially if it has no in-universe explaination.
I mean, FW series basically did this with its tone, in the last seasons and some people were / are OK with it.

So, if they moved into being "The Movies: The Animated Series" I am sure, a lot of people would be OK with it. Not sure about myself, it largely depends on a tone of the show.

Also, I want to remind about The New Adventures of Batman in relation to the Batman TAS, which had redesigned multiple characters without any explanation. And it was accepted and didn't cause massive problems, AFAIK.
__________________
Now with 200,1% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:28 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Right, correct, but all of that kind of runs contrary to the claims of some people that "The FW cartoon had no serious interest in continuity, and furthermore that's part of what I liked about it." And I think that's kind of the point neatoman was trying to make. Such claims are rather contradicted by the show itself. The show DID have continuity, albeit very loosely-structured most of the time.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was part of the point of neatoman's post. Someone claimed the show never concerned itself with continuity and were praising that as a virtue, and neatoman is pointing out how that simply isn't factually correct, that while the show wasn't entirely strict with the continuity, it WAS there and without it the show would have been even "worse" than it was, because the continuity WAS there and people DID in fact care about it, at least a little bit.

If I'm wrong though, neato, feel free to correct me.
Thats true, and I'm not among those people who say "zero care and continuity" whenever the cartoon is brought up. It would be more accurate to say that you can jump into almost any episode aside from the Red Sky ones and not be too lost, as the basic premises of the show is pretty simple and doesn't require too much prior explanation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:23 AM   #8
sdp
doomer
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,733
Continuity didn't really become more of a thing until the 00's at least an important part. 90s shows usually had better continuity than previous decades, 80s besides a few exceptions was pretty bad and anything before the 80s had basically very little.

So for the time the 1987 had way more continuity and even season arcs than shows of the time. I read a little bit of the other thread and yeah it was ridiculous what that user was trying to argue.

Even heavily serialized shows have big continuity problems, sagas like Star Wars and whatnot. It's silly to dismiss the 1987 as if it had no continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
then the show can't really afford to have rather heavy contradictions like showing Krang is from a race of Brain-like creatures in one episode and claim he was originally a Reptilian creature in another.
No contradiction there, the episode where Krang is from a race of brain like creatures is still correct, hell the 2012 crossover basically makes it canon that they're all Utroms. Krang states that he wanted his "body" in the first season and that body turned out to be a robot body.

Yeah the reptilian episode implies that it is meant to be his "real" body, but it's only ever implied and never explicitly said. Knowing what we know now and how it contradicts the previous episode we can assume easily that the reptilian is not his real body and it doesn't contradict anything the show says.

The other popular continuity mistake is the show has 2 Atlantis, that's a bigger whoopsie but the fanon theory is that Atlantis is really big and they're just from different areas of Atlantis.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The other popular continuity mistake is the show has 2 Atlantis, that's a bigger whoopsie but the fanon theory is that Atlantis is really big and they're just from different areas of Atlantis.
The Atlantis in the Atlantic Ocean from Atlantis Awakes was probably the real. What we saw in The Lost Queen in Atlantis was probably just a colony island of Atlantis in the Mediterranean Sea wehre Atlantean explorer once settled. That colony island then sank, thousands of years ago.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.