The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #61
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The original Star Wars films are the most rewatchable films in existence besides Back to the Future, etc. People rewatch those films hundreds of times. They never get old.
You're joking right? Those films feel as old as yo grandma's tits.

So many of their props, clothing, hair styles and film quality feel so dated and ancient. This goes to all other great classics like Psycho, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sound of Music, etc. They're still enjoyable despite being dated though. I only watch it for the aesthetics.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #62
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Why are we ragging on people not liking Star Wars? I personally love it, but we all process stuff differently. People like what they like and don't what they don't. And since the end point of a movie is for the enjoyment of the viewers, why convince them otherwise if they don't get anything out of it, esp. if they're being polite about it?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #63
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's not often that I agree with cubed, but yeah... people who don't like Star Wars weird me out.

But I'm not gonna make 18 consecutive posts about it either.
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Why are we ragging on people not liking Star Wars? I personally love it, but we all process stuff differently. People like what they like and don't what they don't. And since the end point of a movie is for the enjoyment of the viewers, why convince them otherwise if they don't get anything out of it, esp. if they're being polite about it?
Hear Hear.

Do you think we should maybe talk about other movies besides Star Wars now?

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #64
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Same.

Hear Hear.

Do you think we should maybe talk about other movies besides Star Wars now?
No. I'm not done weirding you norms out.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
You're joking right? Those films feel as old as yo grandma's tits.

So many of their props, clothing, hair styles and film quality feel so dated and ancient. This goes to all other great classics like Psycho, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sound of Music, etc. They're still enjoyable despite being dated though. I only watch it for the aesthetics.
What on earth?

The props, costumes and sets of the original films still hold up today and are much better than the CG mess that plagued the prequels or even the modern movies. The special editions also improved some of CG effects of the originals like Bespin and the X-wing fights.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #66
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Strokes for folks, man.

I don't remember specifics... I just remember not liking them. But I'm gonna disagree that Leia wasn't a damsel in distress. She never got much to sink her teeth into...

A damsel in distress with teeth, but quite often, a damsel in distress. Also, nerdtastic golden bikini.
That's one thing I've never liked about CyberCubed. When someone doesn't like or care about something he likrs a lot, he can't just let it go and thinks that telling people a billion times that said something is pretty good is gonna make them feel bad about not liking it and thus change their minds. That and him putting strong emphasis on the "being critically acclaimed" and "being popular". Seems like everything Cubed likes fits those criteria, by the looks of things...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #67
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's one thing I've never liked about CyberCubed. When someone doesn't like or care about something he likrs a lot, he can't just let it go and thinks that telling people a billion times that said something is pretty good is gonna make them feel bad about not liking it and thus change their minds. That and him putting strong emphasis on the "being critically acclaimed" and "being popular". Seems like everything Cubed likes fits those criteria, by the looks of things...
Eh, it doesn't usually bother me. I mean, it IS Star Wars.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

Some things are just very popular. I'm just curious when I see people don't like generally well received things.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #69
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Some things are just very popular. I'm just curious when I see people don't like generally well received things.
It certainly doesn't come off as curiosity...
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just want to understand what the other person is thinking, so I ask them questions when they bring up what they don't like, especially if its about a specific thing. For people who don't like sci-fi or action movies in general I can understand, but if you're a fan of the genre it's just odd to me.

Most adult men tend to gravitate toward the same shows and movies.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #71
THGhost
Puppet Master

Here's one for you then, Cubed - I'm a huge fan of sci-fi (Star Wars, Alien, Ghost in the Shell, 2001, The Matrix, etc), but I can't stand Blade Runner.

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, that is just odd. Blade Runner is fantastic. The whole tone, setting and vibe of the movie is near perfection. Set in the near future with all Asian neo-punk film-noir vibes, Harrison Ford is fantastic, and the scenes with all the replicants are amazing.

The final scenes with Harrison Ford and the male replicant chasing him throughout the building and rooftops is fantastic, especially with his howling and him shutting down himself rather than Harrison Ford killing him. One of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.

I doubt the new one coming this year will be even half as good.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #73
Powder
So tired of this place

Harrison Ford sucked in that movie. It's wildly overrated in the first place. It's aesthetically awesome, but on a whole, not very good.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Harrison Ford sucked in that movie. It's wildly overrated in the first place. It's aesthetically awesome, but on a whole, not very good.
Harrison Ford essentially plays himself in every movie outside of Star Wars/Indianna Jones. Seriously, watch Air Force One, The Fugitive, The Witness, Patriot Games, Working Girl, etc. He acts exactly the same in every movie which I assume is essentially his real life personality.

The only time you see Harrison Ford actually act as a character is as Han Solo and Indie. Every other movie you're just seeing Ford as a cop, lawyer, doctor, president of the United States, Blade runner, etc.....but he has the same personality in all of them.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #75
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Man, that is just odd. Blade Runner is fantastic. The whole tone, setting and vibe of the movie is near perfection. Set in the near future with all Asian neo-punk film-noir vibes, Harrison Ford is fantastic, and the scenes with all the replicants are amazing.

The final scenes with Harrison Ford and the male replicant chasing him throughout the building and rooftops is fantastic, especially with his howling and him shutting down himself rather than Harrison Ford killing him. One of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.

I doubt the new one coming this year will be even half as good.
I just found it too slow and boring. It was also "The Final Cut" which a lot of people deem as the best version, and I still didn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's beautiful to look at and I appreciate what it did for the future of sci-fi, but it just wasn't very good like you say, Powder.

Overrated it definitely the word and I would use. I've seen/heard others say that too, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #76
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
What about Pulp Fiction and Sin City?
you need to stop whatever you are doing right now and watch BOTH of those films immediately!!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #77
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
What about Pulp Fiction and Sin City?
Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
you need to stop whatever you are doing right now and watch BOTH of those films immediately!!
I do hope Cubed wasn't implying that he hasn't seen Pulp Fiction and/or Sin City.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #78
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The only time you see Harrison Ford actually act as a character is as Han Solo and Indie. Every other movie you're just seeing Ford as a cop, lawyer, doctor, president of the United States, Blade runner, etc.....but he has the same personality in all of them.
I know of another exception; 42 (a movie based on Jackie Robinson's life). Ford plays Branch Rickey and went out of his way to play that character, not be a riff of his usual shtick.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #79
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Probably K19 the Widowmaker you can point to as him acting as a character, too.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord

Never seen that one, I may have to check it out.

Blade Runner was a slower paced movie based on ideals and concepts. I think people wrongly assumed it was an action movie going in and didn't know it was a slow paced movie. Every replicant fight in it deals with subliminal messages.

Last edited by CyberCubed; 03-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Tags
cubedbeatsadeadhorse, cubedlearnsaboutgoogle, cubedlearnsaboutimdb, thefifthelementrules