The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Can you all please stay on topic? Yes, some people only eat a certain number of meat while others are region specific with a country or specific to a country or two. Now about how to improve upon The Punk Frogs...
F#ck 'em, they're an inherently bad idea and it's better to forget about them than to pretend anything interesting can some out of them. It's a far more productive discussion to talk about diversity in the meat dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Zebra, moose and whale are "filthy"? Since when?

I'm not really adventurous with food and was a very picky eater when I was a kid. I usually stick to familiar stuff. Ofc when I went to other countries I tried some local stuff but that's it. I only have whale, moose and snails like once in my whole life.
I tried snails once, kinda like squid but with more parts in them.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Can you all please stay on topic? Yes, some people only eat a certain number of meat while others are region specific with a country or specific to a country or two. Now about how to improve upon The Punk Frogs...
Eh I already said pretty much everything I had to say about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
F#ck 'em, they're an inherently bad idea and it's better to forget about them than to pretend anything interesting can some out of them. It's a far more productive discussion to talk about diversity in the meat dishes.

I tried snails once, kinda like squid but with more parts in them.
I don't remember much but I liked them. The snails we eat here are small tho and not those big escargot ones the French eat.

Squid is OK but I much prefer octopus. The only Portuguese dish I eat on a regular basis is Polvo à Lagareiro. Google it. **** is good.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #23
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Ooooh, I love octopus! I think I prefer squid though, personally. In its own ink sauce? Freaking delicious.

I love duck, rabbit, venison, all that gamey meat. Bison is good too.

I don't think I've ever had frog legs. I had alligator a couple times though. There's an inherent spiciness to it, almost
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Ooooh, I love octopus! I think I prefer squid though, personally. In its own ink sauce? Freaking delicious.

I love duck, rabbit, venison, all that gamey meat. Bison is good too.

I don't think I've ever had frog legs. I had alligator a couple times though. There's an inherent spiciness to it, almost
I don't like spicy food. Always had bad experiences with it. hate having my tongue on fire.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #25
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I think the best thing with the Punk Frogs is to give them personalities. As previously said, they really don't have distinguishing characteristics. While I liked them, the only thing I remember about them when I was a kid was that one of them had exploding arrows. Literally, that was it.

There's potential there though. With a four-on-four dynamic, you could play around with similar/dissimilar traits to their turtle counterparts. Though, I think a better approach would to not necessarily "pair" them with any particular turtle opposite but to develop different traits for each of them. I've found in the past that if you develop good characters, storylines tend to write themselves so I think that would need to be a starting point for the frogs in the future.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #26
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
I think the best thing with the Punk Frogs is to give them personalities. As previously said, they really don't have distinguishing characteristics. While I liked them, the only thing I remember about them when I was a kid was that one of them had exploding arrows. Literally, that was it.

There's potential there though. With a four-on-four dynamic, you could play around with similar/dissimilar traits to their turtle counterparts. Though, I think a better approach would to not necessarily "pair" them with any particular turtle opposite but to develop different traits for each of them. I've found in the past that if you develop good characters, storylines tend to write themselves so I think that would need to be a starting point for the frogs in the future.
I see what you mean,like Hob's characterization, Slash's bond with both Slash and Mike and you bring in Agent Bishop and knowing who he is from other versions it writes itself.

So instead of the Mike Frog, the Leo Frog,etc. give them individual personalities,but not try to connect them to different Turtles. What personalities do you see from what is presented from what little they have appeared in?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only other way I can see them used is if Bishop controls 4 Frogs and uses them against the Turtles.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #28
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Nah, I say just leave em be in the past where they belong. They're a one-note joke
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #29
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I see what you mean,like Hob's characterization, Slash's bond with both Slash and Mike and you bring in Agent Bishop and knowing who he is from other versions it writes itself.

So instead of the Mike Frog, the Leo Frog,etc. give them individual personalities,but not try to connect them to different Turtles. What personalities do you see from what is presented from what little they have appeared in?
The few personality traits that I could pull from the few episodes they were in (and honestly, these are probably greatly influenced by my interpretation of small details) were:

Rasputin definitely seemed the most intelligent (of the group) and if I was going to give the group a leader, it would be Rasputin.

Genghis seemed the most naïve about the world in general.

Napoleon the most trusting.

Attila maybe physically the strongest as his weapon requires the most strength to wield?
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
The few personality traits that I could pull from the few episodes they were in (and honestly, these are probably greatly influenced by my interpretation of small details) were:

Rasputin definitely seemed the most intelligent (of the group) and if I was going to give the group a leader, it would be Rasputin.

Genghis seemed the most naïve about the world in general.

Napoleon the most trusting.

Attila maybe physically the strongest as his weapon requires the most strength to wield?
Switch around the leader,huh? Genghis was the leader of the group when depicted in the 1987 cartoon. Then in the 2012 cartoon we see Attila as the leader of a tribe of mutant frogs. Rasputin has not had a turn yet. So since different incarnations had different leaders why not?

Perhaps with Napoleon, he could be the one interested in making friends outside of his group. That would be a way for the Turtles to see past the Punk Frogs as an enemy if they start off as adversaries.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who enjoyed them above nearly every friend the TMNT ever had. Such little put into them yet such a concept waiting to be fleshed out.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #31
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Perhaps the punk frogs could've been part of the Mighty Mutanimals, who never appeared in the 87 toon. I could see the 87 punk frogs, Mondo Gecko, Mona Lisa and even Usagi being a part of the MMs if there was one made for the OT.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Nah, I say just leave em be in the past where they belong. They're a one-note joke
IDW is introducing the Toad Baron with a lot of frog followers, it's not too out of the question the Punk Frogs could be introduced.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #33
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'd change Rasputin's name first...it's a massive break in the naming trend. Rasputin was neither a conqueror, nor a military leader, so why was he included as a namesake?
Napoleon, Ghengis, Atillia, and Alexander is what I would go for.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #34
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

The punk frogs do work as a dark mirror to the turtles, I usually make them a bit more extreme in personality, so that it creates a parallel, and the two teams aren't always on good terms. Usually, I make Genghis the cautious leader, Attila the smart tactician/aide, Napoleon as the angry brute-strength tank, And Rasputin the snarky smart-aleck (to darkly parallel Mikey's party attitude) Use whatever characters you see value in, and do something interesting with them!

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 04-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #35
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Hmm. A good question. Personally I'd like to see them with different traits from the turtles entirely. A bit more peaceful and shy, but still capable fighters when need be. The Southern accent fits well. (And could someone PLEASE tell Cubed that Cajun cooking is a thing? Honestly frog legs, crawfish, and gator tail are STAPLES in Southern Cajun cuisine!!) But I would also maybe give them a few interests similar to the turtles as well, for common ground as allies.

As for the naming thing, Rasputin wasn't a conquorer per se, but historically he was rumored to be the power BEHIND the throne of the Czar at that time, and was supposed to be heavily into both occult practices and politics in spite of being the family physician, hence "the Mad" in Rasputin the frog's name. Shredder had some pretty twisted role models apparently....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The best way to utilize the punk frogs... is by not utilizing the punk frogs.

At best, vaguely frog-like aliens on some planet.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #37
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I've eaten kangaroo from an Australian food truck,
I'm sure Skippy is proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
At best, vaguely frog-like aliens on some planet.
Kind of defeats the whole purpose of using them.

Quote:
Come on Neatoman, I am looking for some serious contributions to this subject.
You expecting serious contribution from him regarding the FW show?!

Quote:
F#ck 'em, they're an inherently bad idea and it's better to forget about them than to pretend anything interesting can some out of them.
Good for you, anyway getting back to the topic...

The Punk Frogs were terrific in their first appearance but I don't think the writers did enough to make them central to the plots. In their later appearances they were sort of tagged on. I do agree they needed more to tell them apart in personality. Great, great execution of idea but not developed over the course of the show.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

How about them being mistaken for the Turtles killed by their enemies? Perfect opportunity to fake their deaths.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #39
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They'd have to be some pretty dumb enemies to not be able to tell the frogs from turtles. Even Bebop and Rocksteady at their very dumbest could tell them apart.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #40
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
They'd have to be some pretty dumb enemies to not be able to tell the frogs from turtles. Even Bebop and Rocksteady at their very dumbest could tell them apart.
That Purple Dragon from the first episode of the 4Kids show thought they were frogs and Spider-Bytez thought they were frogs. So yes, they have been mistaken for frogs.
Hahahaha!

Tags
punk frogs