The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Religious zealots are the worst thing in the world, even worse than political zealots.
Religion fanaticism is the worst kind out there since it's hard to prove if there exist gods or not. After all these years we can't still prove that.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #22
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I haven't stated my own personal beliefs so here I go...

I grew up in a moderately religious household, was the goody good God loving boy who everyone knew and lived like that until about 16, when I began doubting my faith and eventually became atheist, subscribing to a materialist outlook on life.

However, it has been recent that I have decided that atheism is not for me, and I no longer see the reasoning of the position to be sound after my research and insight into religious teachings and their connection to the human condition. I respect all religions, but I usually do not limit myself to one religion. In real life, I go to church, attend Islamic festive and prayer events with family/friends and often sit around with Buddhists and have heartwarming discussions.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, since that topic is frowned upon... when I walk in these doors I'm just the average Turtleist like the rest of you.

In real life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't care about religion. It has never been part of my life. I'm not even baptised since my parents are both Agnostic/Atheist.
Same boat.

Was always kind of a 'nature kid,' and that whole feeling connected to nature, universe, what have you... so I suppose you could loosely label that as some vague form of 'spirituality,' for lack of a better term, but that's as far as it goes. Unseen world making/controlling entities, no. Though I'm not entirely closed off to the concept of the paranormal (and see that as being able to exist as an entirely separate thing), however I can't help my strong natural skepticism and can't say I actually believe in such things, even while there are still a few experiences with no logical answer that I continue to wonder about after nearly 20 years.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

And for the record, I oughta be fair and say that atheism also has blood on its hands. Look at communism and the Spanish Civil War, per example.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I don't think any philosophical school of thought, be it religious or non, has a history without blood on someone's hands. That's just now how people function in an Us vs Them situation.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I don't think any philosophical school of thought, be it religious or non, has a history without blood on someone's hands. That's just now how people function in an Us vs Them situation.
I don't think real life Jediism followers have killed anyone yet.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #27
plastroncafe

Quote:
I don't think real life Jediism followers have killed anyone yet.
I don't think I've heard of there being any fatalities from the Flying Spaghetti Monster camp either, but...time will tell.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think I've heard of there being any fatalities from the Flying Spaghetti Monster camp either, but...time will tell.
Well, I doubt anyone on Earth actually takes the whole FSM thing seriously.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #29
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Though technically it's individuals, not religion/atheism that did it, and in some cases just using the perspective/belief/philosophy to find a twisted justification.

Generalizing ignores (edit: ANNOYS) me. As does ignoring history. Christianity isn't innocent, though some like to seem to forget. But was it all Christians, no, just some. Atheism isn't communism, even if some within communism were atheists. Most Muslims are not out to get us, the decent ones far outnumber the nuts. Who else can I add...

Quote:
Sooner or later there is going to be a pasta recall for something that would make people sick and FSM adherents are going to be pointed at. lol They're going to be expected to publicly condemn the contamination, else be suspected of being a part of it or in support of it.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Though technically it's individuals, not religion/atheism that did it, and in some cases just using the perspective/belief/philosophy to find a twisted justification.

Generalizing ignores me. As does ignoring history. Christianity isn't innocent, though some like to seem to forget. But was it all Christians, no, just some. Atheism isn't communism, even if some within communism were atheists. Most Muslims are not out to get us, the decent ones far outnumber the nuts. Who else can I add...
Communists do tend to be agnostic/atheist but I doubt most agnostics/atheists are communist. Certainly not nowadays where atheism is getting more and more common with younger gens. My parents are both agnostic/atheists and they are not communists nor am I. I know several right wing atheists.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #31
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

In before disintegration.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #32
plastroncafe

Quote:
Well, I doubt anyone on Earth actually takes the whole FSM thing seriously.

HAVE YOU NOT BE BLESSED BY HIS NOODLY APPENDAGE?!11112DAAAJFALASOWQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Generalizing ignores (edit: ANNOYS) me. As does ignoring history. Christianity isn't innocent, though some like to seem to forget. But was it all Christians, no, just some. Atheism isn't communism, even if some within communism were atheists. Most Muslims are not out to get us, the decent ones far outnumber the nuts. Who else can I add...
I was legitimately surprised to learn that prayer was removed from American schools not because of some sort of Atheist Secular agenda, but because no one could agree on which Christian prayer should be used.

Quote:
Sooner or later there is going to be a pasta recall for something that would make people sick and FSM adherents are going to be pointed at. lol They're going to be expected to publicly condemn the contamination, else be suspected of being a part of it or in support of it.
QFT.
Ramen.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

You guys pray in school? And it's mandatory?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
It's "a moment of silence" now from what I heard. I'm a Catholic school kid. Thankful for it too, because the standards for teaching are a lot higher. No, we don't have nuns
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It's "a moment of silence" now from what I heard. I'm a Catholic school kid. Thankful for it too, because the standards for teaching are a lot higher. No, we don't have nuns
Really? Any reason why the standards for teaching are higher at a Catholic school than at an ordinary one?

Public vs. private education.. here it depends. many private schools just want cash and will inflate your grades just to look good in rankings. Private universities here are a joke. Just diploma factories, really.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #36
plastroncafe

Quote:
On the books: not anymore.
Off the books: it still happens. It's not supposed to, but it does.

There are invocations at graduation ceremonies, before sporting events, and even before such mundane things like City Council meetings.

I can't speak to Snake's experience, but where I'm from you can make more money at religious/private schools, because they can pay more.
Mostly because they charge admission to go. Those schools also don't require state licences to teach, where as at public schools here not only do you need a Masters Degree in the subject you're going to instruct, but you need to be certified by the state as well.

I think there are moral guidelines that private school teachers have to adhere to as well, which differ by the institution.
For instance, they can claim a religious grounds as a reason to fire someone for being gay, or pregnant during the school year, or cohabitating.
It all depends.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #37
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Yes. Our school did have mandatory but brief Christian prayer in assemblies and before lunch began everyone except for Non-Christians religious believers were obliged to recite a Christian prayer. Alot of Muslim boys had also voluntarily set up one of the rooms for their friday prayers during lunch time.

In general, where I live (New Zealand) public schools still have a level of religious influence in them (in the form of prayers and being given Bibles, outside of the written curriculum of course) that decreases over time until the point of the last years of high school where its practically non existent, despite the high rate of atheism here.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #38
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Really? Any reason why the standards for teaching are higher at a Catholic school than at an ordinary one?

Public vs. private education.. here it depends. many private schools just want cash and will inflate your grades just to look good in rankings. Private universities here are a joke. Just diploma factories, really.
The Catholic schools cost $$$ so the teachers have to actually put effort in. I've heard horror stories about the sh*t that goes down in public schools.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

Some schools offer a class/subject called "Moral and religious education". it is optional and it's offered at both private and public schools from 5th to 9th grade. Dunno if it's still around. I've never signed up for it obviously. Heard it was basically a subject about catholic religion, but seems so pointless considering the kids form more religious families already attended catechism/sunday school.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #40
ToTheNines
[sic]

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jesushtapdancingchrist