The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Did people really not like the Season 2 opener? I just watched Mutation Situation right now in my rewatch, I thought it was a great episode. While I wish they didn't bring back the Kraang in the very next episode after the Season 1 finale, the ep itself was very fun. (And we got to see Shredder decide not to work with the Kraang anymore after their foul ups)

I LOVED that slow moving shot of the mutagen canisters raining down as April was staring at them from the sky, and then her father getting mutated. While I don't like Kirby-bat's design, having April hold a grudge against the Turtles for a little while was a great direction for her character. There was some great development here as April learned not to hold petty grudges against the Turtles.

Meanwhile the humor was top notch, mainly because Mikey became the Turtlefly character and kept saying, "Buzz Buzz" which I thought was pretty funny. And Mikey calling it Wingnut and Don telling him not to give her father a mutant name,

Lastly about recovering the mutagen canisters, Splinter does tell them to do that and in the next episode about the Squirrelnoids we see the Turtles tracking some down. Obviously it proved impossible to find all of them so they likely had to stop searching, or the Kraang recovered them. Likewise it explained where a lot of the new mutants from Season 2 were popping out from.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #42
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did people really not like the Season 2 opener? I just watched Mutation Situation right now in my rewatch, I thought it was a great episode. While I wish they didn't bring back the Kraang in the very next episode after the Season 1 finale, the ep itself was very fun. (And we got to see Shredder decide not to work with the Kraang anymore after their foul ups)

I LOVED that slow moving shot of the mutagen canisters raining down as April was staring at them from the sky, and then her father getting mutated. While I don't like Kirby-bat's design, having April hold a grudge against the Turtles for a little while was a great direction for her character. There was some great development here as April learned not to hold petty grudges against the Turtles.

Meanwhile the humor was top notch, mainly because Mikey became the Turtlefly character and kept saying, "Buzz Buzz" which I thought was pretty funny. And Mikey calling it Wingnut and Don telling him not to give her father a mutant name,

Lastly about recovering the mutagen canisters, Splinter does tell them to do that and in the next episode about the Squirrelnoids we see the Turtles tracking some down. Obviously it proved impossible to find all of them so they likely had to stop searching, or the Kraang recovered them. Likewise it explained where a lot of the new mutants from Season 2 were popping out from.
As someone who liked season 2 even I thought Mutation situation was beyond stupid. For some reason Mikey, Raph, and Leo were playing soccer with a dangerous alien artifact, Mikey was being an insensitive ass and making jokes about April's dad turning into a mutant and we are pretty much retreading the "Kirby O neal is missing" plot point.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Those jokes were short-lived though, it really doesn't detract from the rest of the episode. Mikey was also trying to comfort April about how it wasn't her fault that her father was mutated, even though him revealing the Turtles accidentally let the mutagen canisters roll out of the spaceship caused it.

While April's father going missing again may have felt a bit repetitive, at least it paved the way for a different direction for April and they don't drag it out long since Kirby is de-mutated halfway into the season.

Last edited by CyberCubed; 10-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #44
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Those jokes were short-lived though, it really doesn't detract from the rest of the episode. Mikey was also trying to comfort April about how it wasn't her fault that her father was mutation, even though him revealing the Turtles accidentally let the mutagen canisters role out of the spaceship caused it.
Okay imagine the episode Owari and just after Splinter gets stabbed by Shredder April makes makes the "Well at least Splinter is something he loves, Swiss cheese" and later comforting the turtles. Notice how not only the acts I describe are not only assholish in nature but makes for a huge tonal shift.

Quote:
While April's father going missing again may have felt a bit repetitive, at least it paved the way for a different direction for April and they don't drag it out long since Kirby is de-mutated halfway into the season.
What direction, she was pissed at the turtles for 3 episodes and she later came back to them. You could remove the Bat-Kirby aspect of the season and barely anything will change
Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Having just watched the episode, he wasn't trying to be insensitive, he just didn't realize what he was doing because that's his personality. April said she blamed herself for her father getting mutated since she brought him to the rooftop with her. Then Mikey was trying to reassure her saying it was their fault he got mutated, because they opened the latch on the Kraang ship and the mutagen canisters rolled out over NYC. And also, it's April's father. He's basically there just to be a plot device, not an actual character. It's also why he largely stops appearing in the show much after Season 2.

April's grudge against the Turtles and not trusting them was something we hadn't seen from her before, and her learning to forgive them and not hold grudges against them for what happened is why we generally don't see her act this way again. I like that Nick's April, at least at this point before she got her powers, was basically written like a realistic teenage girl. She holds grudges, gets angry, acts sensitive, gets depressed, etc.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #46
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Wow... Some people have listed some of my favorite episodes here. Personally I love the Squirrelanoids, Fourfold Trap, Creeping Doom, Cockaroach Terminator, and Broken Foot to name just a few. They rank somewhere among my favorites actually. Do they have issues? Sure, but every episode I'm sure has a nit pick or two.

To hate an episode I have to think I'd click by it on the TV and say "Nope!" and watch something else. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this because it was so widely liked, but in my opinion the WORST episode is when they introduced Don Vizioso. Mutant Gangland I think it was? I don't know why I thought that episode was freakin stupid... maybe cause I'm Italian.

If I had to pick others they would be Bat in the Belfry, A Chinatown Ghoststory, and Race with a Demon. Those three in particular stick out in my head for some reason. Maybe Shellacne and the Wild World of Wyrm depending on my mood, but I'm honestly happy with the majority of the series...

I think the filler is fun as long as it doesn't interfere with the story. Sometimes it gets irritating, but what more do you want with TMNT really? It's never going to be as serious and well planned as we all want it to be.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #47
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Having just watched the episode, he wasn't trying to be insensitive, he just didn't realize what he was doing because that's his personality. April said she blamed herself for her father getting mutated since she brought him to the rooftop with her. Then Mikey was trying to reassure her saying it was their fault he got mutated, because they opened the latch on the Kraang ship and the mutagen canisters rolled out over NYC. And also, it's April's father. He's basically there just to be a plot device, not an actual character. It's also why he largely stops appearing in the show much after Season 2.
I don't care if he was trying to be insensitive its still a dick move and him reassuring April doesn't really make up for the fact that he tried to give a nickname to a then mutated Kirby.

Quote:
April's grudge against the Turtles and not trusting them was something we hadn't seen from her before, and her learning to forgive them and not hold grudges against them for what happened is why we generally don't see her act this way again. I like that Nick's April, at least at this point before she got her powers, was basically written like a realistic teenage girl. She holds grudges, gets angry, acts sensitive, gets depressed, etc.
Doesn't mean we need it and we certainly didn't need the whole "you should't hold a grudge against a person" lesson because we already have that with Shredder also the whole grudge thing never amounts to anything so again you could have written that out and barely anything would change.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #48
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
As someone who liked season 2 even I thought Mutation situation was beyond stupid. For some reason Mikey, Raph, and Leo were playing soccer with a dangerous alien artifact, Mikey was being an insensitive ass and making jokes about April's dad turning into a mutant and we are pretty much retreading the "Kirby O neal is missing" plot point.
Yeah, so many contrived situations too

Kirby just had to be operating that silly scanner on the roof right? The Turtles fall out of the Kraang ship and land directly where Kirby just got mutated and immediately engage him? Felt so ADHD.

And "canisters scattered across the city"? It was like maybe 4 city blocks at that height lol.

Silly episode, but had some pretty cool action. And butt cannons.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #49
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag0nfeathers View Post
Wow... Some people have listed some of my favorite episodes here. Personally I love the Squirrelanoids, Fourfold Trap, Creeping Doom, Cockaroach Terminator, and Broken Foot to name just a few. They rank somewhere among my favorites actually. Do they have issues? Sure, but every episode I'm sure has a nit pick or two.

To hate an episode I have to think I'd click by it on the TV and say "Nope!" and watch something else. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this because it was so widely liked, but in my opinion the WORST episode is when they introduced Don Vizioso. Mutant Gangland I think it was? I don't know why I thought that episode was freakin stupid... maybe cause I'm Italian.

If I had to pick others they would be Bat in the Belfry, A Chinatown Ghoststory, and Race with a Demon. Those three in particular stick out in my head for some reason. Maybe Shellacne and the Wild World of Wyrm depending on my mood, but I'm honestly happy with the majority of the series...

I think the filler is fun as long as it doesn't interfere with the story. Sometimes it gets irritating, but what more do you want with TMNT really? It's never going to be as serious and well planned as we all want it to be.
Mutant Gangland was really good. Vizioso was introduced in Casey Jones vs. The Underworld, which was a garbage episode. I ****ing hate that scene with Shredder, TC and Fishface riding motorcycles to meet him. You have to right to take shots at FW TMNT after that cheese.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #50
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

Like Cyber, I've been slowly going through the series again and looking back on it...

I think its more just 'bits' of episodes I didnt like rather than any entire episodes. Some are definitely a lot stronger than others certainly, but for the most part, its been pretty decent throughout. A lot does depend on your mood at the time I think, there are definitely episodes that work better for FW fans than Mirage, and then the reverse in some cases. Its a good mix for all tastes, but that means no one is going to like everything. Someone on this thread mentioned Buried secrets as one of the worst episodes for instance. I loved that episode personally.

Mostly for me I think its just some design elements that I disliked (butt cannons to take a mentioned example), and now and then theres a plot point I was less happy with (or normally a Lack of a plot point i felt should have been there).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #51
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Out of curiousity why did you dislike Vision Quest, I personally thought it was one of the strongest episode of season 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
While I think Vision Quest is a decent episode, especially in comparison to most of season 3, it still felt mishandled. Vision Quest feels like a sudden "Wait, we gotta return to NY!" now, a sudden shift in tone. Its emotional moment with Splinter ala the 90s movie was rushed and didn't have the warmth of the former, just repetition of the Turtles' overall flaws. Finally, which is my personal problem, the episode feels overstuffed with the fights. They were handled well but went by too fast with minimal stakes.

I think for being the episode to tie Northampton and a Return to New York type scenario together, it could've had more to it. Vision Quest easily could've been a multi-parter, especially considering at least two or three of the episodes at Northampton were extraneous (Foot Too Big, The Croaking, Race with the Demon, and Eye of the Chimera easily are my choices there).
Forgot to answer earlier, sorry.

Yeah, the action was excellent but it didn't carry any weight for me. Here's what I said back when it debuted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Honestly didn't like it. All the combat was great but other than that it felt rushed and a lot of it was silly.

I won't nitpick everything, but my main beef was with the campfire scene with Splinter. His speech in the first movie has moved me to tears several times, but here he shows up and basically says "you're an asshole, you're a retard, you're a nerd and you're a big pussy. Now go dress up and play make believe in the woods. Also I'm not dead."

And then Mikey is the only one to get emotional.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

I see people listing a A Chinatown Ghost story and the Wingnut episode often, what was wrong with these? A Chinatown Ghost Story was a homage to the movie, "Big Trouble in Little China" and seeing the 3 Purple Dragon goons get powers for an episode was really cool. Ho-chan was a silly villain but it was a fun filler.

And the Wingnut ep was fun as hell. I don't care for them being comic book characters but it doesn't really matter, and the action sequences on the ziplines were great.

Quote:
Like Cyber, I've been slowly going through the series again and looking back on it...

I think its more just 'bits' of episodes I didnt like rather than any entire episodes. Some are definitely a lot stronger than others certainly, but for the most part, its been pretty decent throughout.
I kinda agree. It seems more like people are nitpicking certain scenes out of an episode that makes them dislike an episode rather than the entire episode itself.

For me it's the same. I don't like every joke as some of them fall flat, and some scenes I don't care for, but it doesn't make me hate the entire episode. Even in episodes I don't care for at all, there's usually a very cool action sequence or some great animation that makes up for it.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #53
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
And the Wingnut ep was fun as hell. I don't care for them being comic book characters but it doesn't really matter, and the action sequences on the ziplines were great.
Bat in the Belfry was one of the most explicit parodies I've seen in the entire show. The amount of tribute towards 60's Batman just got boring to me; even if I grew up watching it with my dad, I was bored through most of it. That, and pretty much anything relating to April's powers/Aeon crystal in season 4 felt rushed.

A personal gripe for me as well involved the choice of Jeff Bennett as Screwloose. I know he's imitating Scott Menville's version of Robin from Teen Titans, but something about it felt weird. Besides having Bennett in the show, I don't see why they couldn't have brought in Menville because of him being in the Turtles' cartoons. He did have great chemistry with Daran Norris as Wingnut, but it just wasn't an episode for me outside those two.

I know there was a ton of effort to give tribute to Batman and comics, in general, too. I can appreciate that, but I think the parody went too far that I'd rather have had Wingnut and Screwloose appeared first before the giant creature (I don't remember its name) from their comic, or keep it out. Otherwise, it's an episode I can easily skip.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #54
Kit31
Foot Soldier

I have been saying all along that I didn't hate any of the episodes. I think I enjoyed aspects in every single one of them. There were some I liked better than others, but even with the stupidity and weirdness of some of the episodes, I still enjoyed every one of them a lot. This series as a whole made me an even bigger TMNT fan than I started out as.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Bat in the Belfry was one of the most explicit parodies I've seen in the entire show. The amount of tribute towards 60's Batman just got boring to me; even if I grew up watching it with my dad, I was bored through most of it. That, and pretty much anything relating to April's powers/Aeon crystal in season 4 felt rushed.
Hm, I wasn't even thinking of the Batman parody angle, just the action scenes of the episode. I'm going to have to rewatch it again, I'm only at the beginning of Season 2 now, but hopefully I can make it to it in a few weeks.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:30 AM   #56
TMNTmousers
Thug

Worst 10 for me-
A Foot too Big
Rise of the Turtles
The Kraang Conspiracy
Mutant Apocalypse
Wanted Bebop & Rocksteady
End Times
Kagayake! Kintaro
Journey to the Center of Mikey's Mind
Eyes of the Chimera
The Alien Agenda
TMNTmousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #57
zipper
Random Punk

I've always been surprised by the amount of hatred (maybe too strong of a word) for The Croaking. I personally loved it and is the only episode in the Northampton series that I enjoyed.

I'm not entirely opposed to filler episodes either. Practically all of the episodes of Batman TAS were fillers and that show is probably my favorite cartoon of all time.

I haven't watched Season 5, but the show lost a LOT of appeal for me after season 1. Season 1 is almost flawless.
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTmousers View Post
Rise of the Turtles
You didn't like the first episode of the whole show, and consider it among the 10 worst episodes? Really? lol

What was wrong with the Wanted Bebop/Rocksteady eps and End Times?

EDIT: Wait, just noticed the 2013 reg date, lack of posts, and I see your post history. Am I being baited by Mew/Etsy/Super Goku again?

Last edited by CyberCubed; 10-05-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #59
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Hm, I wasn't even thinking of the Batman parody angle, just the action scenes of the episode. I'm going to have to rewatch it again, I'm only at the beginning of Season 2 now, but hopefully I can make it to it in a few weeks.
The action was decent, but not as good as previous fights in the season (City at War or Mutant Gangland) personally. The story is where I mostly had my issues with all the parody angle and the April story.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTmousers View Post
End Times- Episode felt rushed should have been a two parter. Didn't like the conclusion to my favorite characters Fishface and Tiger Claw. Truce off screen and just goes back to crime. Rahzar goes out cheaply as well.
Rahzar was already dead at the end of Season 4, he was just a zombie when Kavaxas brought him back.

I thought Tiger Claw's conclusion was fine, and even Fishface. They were never truly evil bent on world domination or anything. Tiger Claw even showed this in the Season 3 finale when Shredder killed Splinter and he was angry with him for using his vendetta over saving the Earth.

Quote:
Wanted Bebop and Rocksteady- 1987 turtles don't know how to use their weapons, had to be trained by 2012 tmnt, thought it mocked them too much. 1987 Bebop and Rocksteady had like no screen time. Missed character interactions between Mondo, Leatherhead, Slash and the 87 turtles. Rushed conclusion.
The 2012 Turtles are better fighters in general so it makes sense. I do wish the two sets of Bebop/Rocksteady met each other, but it's not a big deal.

As for Slash/Leatherhead/Mondo interacting with the 80's Turtles, it obviously had no time and it wasn't a big deal for them to have any type of meaningful interaction. I mean what would we have gotten out of it outside a 30 second, "Hey you guys are different than the guys in our universe" type of reaction?