The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #141
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
OH NO!!!! Fox news posted it too! Maybe the news isn’t fake and biased like political people want to make it.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/...ons-in-us.html
Wow...looks like someone missed the point, and the sarcasm, in considering how sensational these news articles are in stating that "meddling" in Pokemon Go, is considered to have such powerful political repercussions on our society in leading to the 2016 election of Trump.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #142
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I think the idea here was that their intrusion was so broad reaching as to be able to hack into something intended for children.

I'd be curious what the encryption level for Pokemon Go! is as well.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #143
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Also, consider how popular Pokemon Go was when it first came out. All those people, wandering their neighborhoods as well as other public and private spaces, holding their phones out in front of them, the camera on and recording information. Imagine if someone had access to that data. In most cases, it's useless, but with such a large amount it becomes more valuable because you can see and predict trends. Data is the most valuable resource.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #144
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

The only reason Russian meddling is considered so important recently, is frankly, because Trump won the election. I'm sure there have been many other foreign governments in many other past American elections who have tried to influence our elections. One would think that effective "meddling" would have to do with government lobbyists, maybe foreign spies involved handling votes in the election process, or cyberhacking government computers.

...But Pokemon Go? ...Really? It reeks more of the media's desperation to try to invalidate Trump's election. ...At least the Muller investigations are something more substantial worth discussing.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #145
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Remember last year when all the discussion was about how the Democratic Party rigged the primaries so that Hillary became the candidate instead of Bernie Sanders, who had much more popular support? All that kinda got buried by all this Russian interference talk. I remember though.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #146
plastroncafe

I'm always amazed with folks who are just Okay with the idea of a foreign power tinkering with our election process...because their guy got in.

As for the frivolity of cracking into Pokemon Go!.
I had someone steal my AMEX card number a few years ago.
They bought one song on iTunes with it, before buying five grand in airline vouchers.

That's what this Pokemon makes me think of:
The people testing out the efficacy of something by using something frivolous as a model first.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #147
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Did some of you not read the article? They never hacked Pokemon Go, they used the game to give rewards and to promote an anti-government agenda, which btw Pokemon Go is played by a lot of adults and it does seem like it's obvious they did it. It's not only this they also used videos of blacks promoting resentment from blacks who were obviously not American.

But it's not that these weren't factors, people are using it as scapegoats as to why Trump won. It was a variety of factors and yet people still don't want to take a look at what happened and instead go for the cheap "X" is the only reason he won. If Americans don't take a look at themselves then it'll just happen again in 2020, so I better prepare because it affects me more than the average person complaining about him.

Democrats fall for fake news involving russia as much as republicans fall for their fake news, some people are so eager for collusion they'll believe anything.
https://www.vox.com/world/2017/5/19/...-louise-mensch
When they were on the opposite side they did exactly as the Republicans are doing now when it comes to the connections
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...l-comey-239389
And yet when there was obvious interference with Obama's white house, this story leaked and the media chose to ignore
http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-kept-rus...-moscow-686660

confirmation bias from both sides

Last edited by sdp; 10-19-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #148
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I had someone steal my AMEX card number a few years ago.They bought one song on iTunes with it, before buying five grand in airline vouchers.
Sorry that happened to you. Thieves are despicable. What song was purchased?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #149
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Sorry that happened to you. Thieves are despicable. What song was purchased?
Dunno.
Amex is the one that alerted me to the fraud, told me they'd taken care of it, and that my new card would be in my hot little hands within 24 hours.

That IS a really good question though.
Now I wish I knew.

Considering the flight vouchers were for British Airways I'm going to assume it was Lily Allen.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #150
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
That IS a really good question though.
Now I wish I knew. Considering the flight vouchers were for British Airways I'm going to assume it was Lily Allen.
I really want to know what a bandit buys with only one song purchase. British Airways, hmmm.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #151
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I really want to know what a bandit buys with only one song purchase. British Airways, hmmm.

Never liked that song much. It was my first JP song and it turned me off from checking out the rest of the band for a while. Then I listened to Desert Plains and decided to give the band another shot.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #152
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Best Judas Priest song:

Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #153
Prowler
Emperor

If I had to make a top 10, I guess it'd look like this:

Desert Plains
Pain And Pleasure
Painkiller
A Touch of Evil
Night Crawler
Evil Fantasies
Turbo Lover
Riding on the Wind
Heavy Metal
Devil's Child

...how did a thread about Trump and Russia end up with us discussing Judas Priest?
Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #154
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

...And I'm always amazed by the sanctimonious behavior of others (to the point of self-appointing themselves as a defender of social liberties) belligerently complaining about one candidate's differing social/political viewpoints, but yet hardly displays any qualms when their candidate accepts donations from tyrannical governments that have harsher laws (far beyond the political viewpoints of their opponent).

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/25/...on-foundation/
Old 10-26-2017, 02:01 AM   #155
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
If I had to make a top 10, I guess it'd look like this:

Desert Plains
Pain And Pleasure
Painkiller
A Touch of Evil
Night Crawler
Evil Fantasies
Turbo Lover
Riding on the Wind
Heavy Metal
Devil's Child
Boiling it down to ten is so hard for me.

But if I had to... hmm... dammit, I'll keep it to one per album. That should help.

Sinner
Exciter
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown)
Metal Gods
Riding on the Wind
The Sentinel
Hell Patrol
Demonizer
Death
Never Forget

Quote:
Best Judas Priest song:
Radio ruined that song for me, back when we had a hard rock station. It's one of the few Priest songs it seemed they played. Same for Iron Maidens Run to the Hills. Haven't listened to that one in years, either.

But that's fine, I guess, because it's not like Number of the Beast is lacking in good songs.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #156
plastroncafe

This Thread is informed me that I have far too little Judas Priest in my life.

Clearly this needs to be rectified, and soon.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #157
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Boiling it down to ten is so hard for me.

But if I had to... hmm... dammit, I'll keep it to one per album. That should help.

Sinner
Exciter
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown)
Metal Gods
Riding on the Wind
The Sentinel
Hell Patrol
Demonizer
Death
Never Forget

Radio ruined that song for me, back when we had a hard rock station. It's one of the few Priest songs it seemed they played. Same for Iron Maidens Run to the Hills. Haven't listened to that one in years, either.

But that's fine, I guess, because it's not like Number of the Beast is lacking in good songs.
The Green Manillishi is great, although that is a cover. But it's a great cover. I think I prefer it to the original... almost. Not so often does that happen.

Iron Maiden to me are THE classic heavy metal band. They're consistent for the most part. And they're one of those bands where I cannot name a favourite song at all. It depends on my mood.

If I had to make a top 10 favourite Maiden songs in no order:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
2 Minutes to Midnight
Stranger in a Strange Land
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
Moonchild
The Red and the Black
Sea of Madness
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Die With Your Boots On

I think this is a very solid top 10... but still missing soem great songs and personal favourites such as The Prisoner, Sun and Steel, The Nomad, The Trooper, Killers, Iron Maiden, Prowler(my username!), Phantom of the Opera, etc.

Man I saw Maiden live in 2013. It was awesome. These guys are old but can still give a damn good live performance.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #158
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Haha and radio is the only reason I know those two songs, heard them all the time on the classic rock station back when I lived in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Iron Maiden to me are THE classic heavy metal band. They're consistent for the most part. And they're one of those bands where I cannot name a favourite song at all. It depends on my mood.
Man I saw Maiden live in 2013. It was awesome. These guys are old but can still give a damn good live performance.
For me personally, it's Black Sabbath. They're the OGs of heavy metal. I love a lot of their tracks but the album Paranoid as a whole is so great, if I start playing it I'll end up listening to the whole thing. I got to see Ozzy and Geezer at a show a couple years back, it ****ing ruled.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #159
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The Green Manillishi is great, although that is a cover. But it's a great cover. I think I prefer it to the original... almost. Not so often does that happen.

If I had to make a top 10 favourite Maiden songs in no order:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
2 Minutes to Midnight
Stranger in a Strange Land
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
Moonchild
The Red and the Black
Sea of Madness
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Die With Your Boots On

I think this is a very solid top 10... but still missing soem great songs and personal favourites such as The Prisoner, Sun and Steel, The Nomad, The Trooper, Killers, Iron Maiden, Prowler(my username!), Phantom of the Opera, etc.

Well crap, I'll give ten of my own then and, like before, keep it to one an album (Maiden has more than ten, so some are going to get left off, unfortunately, particularly the first two Di'Anno albums, though I love them).

The Prisoner
To Tame a Land
Back in the Village
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Fear of the Dark
Lord of the Flies
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
The Legacy
The Talisman

Man, I love all ten of these songs to pieces and I'm still not a hundred percent happy with these ten. But then, Maiden is the rarest of bands. One where you could make a two disc "best of" compilation with, like, thirty plus tracks and still never get everything worthwhile. They're the kind of band where you just get the whole studio album because pretty much everything is good. Same for most of Priest, too, but not quite as much as Maiden, I think.

I saw them in 2013 too. Alice Cooper opened for them. Went with my mom, who was a big fan of Maiden when she'd been younger. Very special memory for me, because it's one of the last things we got to do together before she died.

Quote:
Oh yeah, definitely. Top shelf cover. I actually have a lot of cover songs I really like, though.

Quote:
This Thread is informed me that I have far too little Judas Priest in my life.

Clearly this needs to be rectified, and soon.
Indeed! A lot of their classic albums are great - everyone immediately goes for Screaming for Vengeance, but I drift to Stained Class as among their very best - but the modern stuff, post reunion with Halford, is good too. I wasn't wild about the most recent one, Redeemer of Souls, but Angel of Retribution was a pretty good album and Nostradamus, some filler in disc two aside, is actually in my top five, maybe top three overall Priest albums.

Quote:
Haha and radio is the only reason I know those two songs, heard them all the time on the classic rock station back when I lived in Texas
Yeah, that's what classic rock stations do, really. Unfortunately, they never play anything past the top hits. Maiden an Priest have, like, fifteen albums, but you never hear anything more than the one song everyone remembers. It's sad.

Quote:
For me personally, it's Black Sabbath. They're the OGs of heavy metal. I love a lot of their tracks but the album Paranoid as a whole is so great, if I start playing it I'll end up listening to the whole thing.
I like Sabbath, but I find them hard to listen to, sometimes. The production values on some albums is dogs***, which legend has it is because the band snorted the money for it. I think I like covers of some songs better than the originals. But I love Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as an overall album.

Last edited by dl316bh; 10-27-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #160
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Well crap, I'll give ten of my own then and, like before, keep it to one an album (Maiden has more than ten, so some are going to get left off, unfortunately, particularly the first two Di'Anno albums, though I love them).

The Prisoner
To Tame a Land
Back in the Village
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Fear of the Dark
Lord of the Flies
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
The Legacy
The Talisman

Man, I love all ten of these songs to pieces and I'm still not a hundred percent happy with these ten. But then, Maiden is the rarest of bands. One where you could make a two disc "best of" compilation with, like, thirty plus tracks and still never get everything worthwhile. They're the kind of band where you just get the whole studio album because pretty much everything is good. Same for most of Priest, too, but not quite as much as Maiden, I think.

I saw them in 2013 too. Alice Cooper opened for them. Went with my mom, who was a big fan of Maiden when she'd been younger. Very special memory for me, because it's one of the last things we got to do together before she died.
Iron Maiden are a curious case. They're known as a band that makes not great albums but great songs. All Maiden albums post-Killers have filler songs in it. Not that many of those songs are bad at all, mind you.

Iron Maiden only have one album I'd call "bad", Which is Virtual XI. And it's not like it's atrocious or anything. Blaze Bailey's voice just didn't fit the band well, imo. The X Factor, his other album, is actually pretty underrated. man on the Edge is a great song, imo. Some of the more recent Maiden albums haven't been that great but they're not terrible by any means, imo. Maiden's prime ended around 1990, anyway. No Prayer For the Dying was the start of the more average albums by the band. That being said, A Brave New World, Dickinson's return album, was very solid.

Ah the first two Maiden albums are very punk rockish. It wasn't until Dickinson came along that they adopted the style they've become forever known for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
For me personally, it's Black Sabbath. They're the OGs of heavy metal. I love a lot of their tracks but the album Paranoid as a whole is so great, if I start playing it I'll end up listening to the whole thing. I got to see Ozzy and Geezer at a show a couple years back, it ****ing ruled.
Well naturally Sabbath have great songs and deserve my respect, but they can be hit and miss for me. Also, let's face it, Ozzy has never been a world class vocalist. Unlike Dio and others, for example. Ronny James Dio was a hell of a singer.
Closed Thread

Tags
andrew likes tags