The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sea turtles eating plastics

https://weather.com/science/environm...to-sea-turtles

Not to be an ass, but if sea turtles are actively going around eating up plastics now all on their own... maybe we should just let natural selection just do its thing?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Nah, I'd say that we should avoid littering in the first place.

It's not like they are actively intruding human habitation for plastic.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
IMJ
Emperor

The oceans need a sincerely global cleanup effort. That sort of snakey, floating garbage collector thing that a private company has employed is pretty awesome.

Given some of the other microbes that have evolved from our trash habits, I'm surprised that one hasn't evolved in the ocean to eat that plastic too. But yeah we really need to clean that **** up.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, humans need to do a better job, it's not the fault of dumb animals if they don't understand that trash that looks or smells like food to them is not actually food. No more than a dumb dog didn't know that that big chocolate cake wasn't meant for him or that it's bad for him.

But they did discover microbes that break down plastic in the ocean..? It's just unfortunate that they can't do it faster, but tiny critters can only do so much, I guess. (Now if they'd be able to live in sea turtle guts...)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://weather.com/science/environm...to-sea-turtles

Not to be an ass, but if sea turtles are actively going around eating up plastics now all on their own... maybe we should just let natural selection just do its thing?
It's literally, by definition, not natural selection if something unnatural is killing them.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
It's literally, by definition, not natural selection if something unnatural is killing them.
You know there is some mouth breather here that will argue some technicality where they found a single natural occurrence of a plastic molecule or some nonsense in a lava vent somewhere.......

Old 03-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Well, efforts can be increased to burn plastic for energy. Granted that plastic does emit some greenhouse gases when incinerated and as an energy source isn't too efficient, but if the burnoff can be recaptured, it could help. Burying it doesn't decrease the amount of space it takes on the planet and could contaminate the ground/soil, so burning seems the lesser evil.

Can you imagine if they resorted to what was done in Slash - The Evil Turtle From Dimension X, use rockets to shoot the garbage into space, maybe toward the sun, let that incinerate it and potentially shoot the energy back to Earth, maybe even prolong the sun's life a tad. Of course would cost a fortune, emit a lot of burned fuel, decrease available matter on the planet for potential use (since matter only changes form, never gets used, as long as it remains on Earth), and could potentially have the opposite effect on Sun's life.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgUn_ewgF58

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Sure is Steve Murphy in here.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Don't be a dumbass Andrew
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hey, I love sea turtles. But if all of a sudden, say, Guinea pigs started having an unnatural draw toward putting their little hands in electrical sockets, all over the world... I don't know.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Hey, I love sea turtles. But if all of a sudden, say, Guinea pigs started having an unnatural draw toward putting their little hands in electrical sockets, all over the world... I don't know.
I get what you're trying to say, but Guinea Pigs generally won't come across electrical sockets in the wild, nor are they supposed to.

So regardless of whether sea turtles love eating plastic or not, it shouldn't even be in their habitat in the first place.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
They are not eating it intentionally. There is so much of it in the oceans that literally 90% of all sea life has accidentally swallowed some, and since it can't be digested, it stays in their bodies and accumulates. Plastics have been found in whales, fish, and even in crustaceans as well. We are quite literally killing our ocean life with garbage they can't digest and which causes internal damage. Most of them can't even pass it in waste, because it clogs up intestinal tracts and kills them that way. It's not just sea turtles, it is EVERYTHING. Dying horribly by slow toxic buildup from plastic.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:29 AM   #14
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Get yur book learnin' outta here!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Part of South America also eats them, so it might be hard to get all countries to not see it as a bad thing as some might consider it a quicker cooking method that the guinea pigs chose on their own.

Still they, they don't understand human technology and not their fault that they don't.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #16
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Again, you're misinterpreting what natural selection is.

An inability to distinguish between right and wrong does not automatically make something OK. That's why there's safety standards. That's why there's warning signs.

If your kid died because of someone else's negligence, you probably wouldn't be so cavalier.

If you went swimming in the ocean and got jabbed by a hypodermic needle, you'd understandably be a little upset.

And you'd be even more upset if everyone else played it down or blamed you for your inability to judge safe situations.

It's not like sea turtles have an option to not swim in the ocean. They can't just pull up and move to a new local. That's where have to live. If we're dumping stuff in there, we can't expect them not to interact with it in some way.

Hence, this isn't natural selection. Having a dangerous, potentially lethal alien object deliberately placed in your environment is closer to our definition of man slaughter.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I misspoke on natural selection, but you probably take my meaning. Nature is nothing but not evolutionary. Some funguses have evolved to eat plastics, certain animals have evolved to be naturally wary (or fond, conversely) of humans, etc., etc.. Plastics have been around and in the ocean for a long time... but when you have a species scarfing them down like their favorite meal... eh, what is the takeaway from that? Cut down on ocean pollution and plastics, of course and we should, but the plastics in it is never going to be "good." Maybe we can slow the increase, but not stop it or even reverse it. Coastal populations are spiraling everywhere and plastics are only going to be on the rise.

Just... c'mon, sea turtles... stop eating plastics. Eh, maybe we can as united nations add something to plastics to make them taste "different"?
Old 03-12-2020, 04:37 AM   #18
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's not the plastic itself, but the algae and microbes that grow on the plastic in the ocean making it indistinguishable to food. And it's not just sea turtles but also a seabird problem.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #19
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
It's not the plastic itself, but the algae and microbes that grow on the plastic in the ocean making it indistinguishable to food. And it's not just sea turtles but also a seabird problem.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
I misspoke on natural selection, but you probably take my meaning. Nature is nothing but not evolutionary. Some funguses have evolved to eat plastics, certain animals have evolved to be naturally wary (or fond, conversely) of humans, etc., etc.. Plastics have been around and in the ocean for a long time... but when you have a species scarfing them down like their favorite meal... eh, what is the takeaway from that? Cut down on ocean pollution and plastics, of course and we should, but the plastics in it is never going to be "good." Maybe we can slow the increase, but not stop it or even reverse it. Coastal populations are spiraling everywhere and plastics are only going to be on the rise.

Just... c'mon, sea turtles... stop eating plastics. Eh, maybe we can as united nations add something to plastics to make them taste "different"?

Again, they are not eating it ON PURPOSE. They end up mistaking items like bits of fishing nets, bags, straws, and other debris for their actual foods. And it's not JUST turtles. As I mentioned earlier, scientists have taken samples that show that virtually EVERY ANIMAL in the oceans has ingested some plastic material. Some of them, like whales, scoop in in along with the shrimp and krill they eat. And then it ends up killing them. They literally can't NOT swallow itThe stuff is EVERYWHERE!! Even at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, or in various "blue holes" around the world. That's right, we're turning the entire ocean into our garbage dump, and the sea life is paying the price with their lives.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote