The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Vegita-San
Emperor

Your ideal Turtles Show..

We like to do alot of wondering and complaining about things.. but..
If you where show runner, what would your ideal version of a ninja turtles show be?

For me, at this point, I'd probably only keep the basic elements. Shredder, Karai, April, Splinter, Hamato Yoshi and the turtles.

At least at the start.

I'd do something a little different with this series. Rather than start them off as teenagers, I'd start the show off with them as toddlers.

The first season would be their first sessions of ninja training as they learn the arts and have adventures along the way. maybe I'd throw in a joke or two of them saving april and casey from the shadows, without introducing themselves....but only once.

The basic Mirage Origin would be in tact. Mostly. Only in this case, Saki, pre Shredder, would know who Splinter is. He'd know he's in NYC...he'd know he was yoshi, and he's trying to destroy him so as to erase the last bit of yoshi from the earth.

In this case, I'd leave Tang Shen out of this part of the origin. I would bring Back Oruko Nagi. I would make Nagi and Yoshi friends. some horrible incident happens where Nagi dies...maybe defending against some robbers or something. Saki would see this, think yoshi did it, and that starts the feud. he barely escapes...heads to NYC.

Along the way, Yoshi saves one of the utroms from disaster. discovers their secret, and goes to work for them. Saki, now in charge of the foot, that yoshi and nagi where a part of, finds the utrom base, and causes the accident that changes him to splinter..

yoshi, half deformed, escaped into the sewers to hide from the public,and along the way, the accident that sends the turtles into the sewers happens. some bits of the mutagen still on splinter affects them, and boom. story begins.

somewhere alongthe way, Shredder hears stories of a mutant ratroaming the streets at night, and he knows splinter is still alive. so, the hunt begins, and so does the ninja training.

The second season would see a jump to their teenage years andthe main series begins...

I'd keep mutants to a minimum in this series....but when one doesshow up, it's a threat worth stickingaround for a full season.

the tone would be a mix of 4 kids seriousness interms of action, some humor, but just enough to make them cute and relatable... with a slightly grittier first movie look.

I'd probably end the series with a Future Turtles arc. The Turtles are now about 100 years old, but still rather nimble for their age.Splinter is long dead,aliens walk the earth, and they can generally live in peace..until one final threat arrives.

I'd probably keep the series fully CG...unless the animation could be feature quality in 2D every episode.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

IDW with age progression. Or a straight up mirage adaptation.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

A solid mix of the best elements of seasons 7 and 8 of the 1987 cartoon with a stronger continuity and emphasis on characterization.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I'd like to see Ciro do one entirely on his own, no influence from Playmates, Viacom, his creative peers, just Ciro. Something 2D that brings his concept art to life while retaining the original style. Having a fairly good idea about his aesthetic, I think it'd be insanely dope by itself. With all the horror, punk rock, & vinyl kaiju stuff at full force, no doubt a killer cartoon.

Similarly, I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace. Examples:

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
IDW with age progression. Or a straight up mirage adaptation.
I'd also accept either of these. An anime would be great, too, be it a comedic slice of life series, or something more serious/action oriented.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I would like a art style like this. It has the Archie Comics, 1987 cartoon, and Mirage comics all wrapped up together nicely with the creators influence as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

An anime-like adaptation for netflix (like what they are doing with voltron), straight-up adapting IDW. Exchange the 'new characters for more familiar ones (Scratch in place of old hob, Ninjara in place of Alopex, armaggon in place of bludgeon, wingnut in place of pigeon pete, A female Alfaqua in place of koya, and a female Jagwar in place of sally pride, Pimiko in place of Jennika, etc.) and you got a deal! ^^

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'd like to see Ciro do one entirely on his own, no influence from Playmates, Viacom, his creative peers, just Ciro. Something 2D that brings his concept art to life while retaining the original style. Having a fairly good idea about his aesthetic, I think it'd be insanely dope by itself. With all the horror, punk rock, & vinyl kaiju stuff at full force, no doubt a killer cartoon.

Similarly, I wanna see Andy Suriano's vision for the TMNT. He did all that character concept art that got rejected. It's weird as hell & could make for a very interesting change of pace. Examples:

I'd also accept either of these. An anime would be great, too, be it a comedic slice of life series, or something more serious/action oriented.
Aaagh I totally forgot about all that cool concept art. Weird, weird stuff. I'd love to see a downright horror TMNT incarnation as long as the TMNT/Splinter look normal.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Id agree with the IDW adaptation, but keep the IDW original characters instead of replacing them with older ones. I might add a few new ones from Nick later on, mainly Tiger Claw, Murikami and human Xever, and a redesigned Spiderbytes and Snakeweed. I might use Shinigami as well, most likely as a member of the Pantheon like Kitsune and Rat King. The Nick mutants (and a couple of older ones like Mona Lisa and Venus) would be experiments from Baxter's lab.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

This is my personal concept that I've been wanting to write for a while. There's a lot more details, but they wouldn't really fit into the intro, which I've laid out here.

The Utroms have come to Earth as a hideaway from the Triceraton Empire. There, they are working on a special grade of healing Ooze. They have made the Foot Clan their guardians, having favoritism of Japanese humans after centuries-long relationships with them. Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki are the top contenders for leadership. Unfortunately, a quarantine is broken, and they learn quickly that the Ooze that heals the inhabitants of Utrominon mutates the inhabitants of Earth.

While visiting the New York TCRI branch, Yoshi fell in love with a researcher named Tang Shen, and came to adapt to a “modern” lifestyle in his devotion to her. They soon married and had a daughter. This enraged Saki, a more traditional man, who believed a Japanese empire could exist again. A scuffle of tradition and adaptation between Yoshi and Saki started a fire in one of the labs. Yoshi managed to rescue some of the lab turtles before collapsing in the smoke, where he came in contact with the Ooze and an escaped rat - which did not survive to mutation. Yoshi noticed the mutations happening, and in a burst of desperation and raw instinct, dove into the sewer system below the lab. He did not know what became of his family or Saki, and was unable to find out for himself. Not while he was a mutant and taking care of four new children.

Fifteen years later, there is a new TCRI building in place. Saki has redeemed himself for his behavior in the lab and has been the leader of the Foot Clan for ten years. The Utroms are still investigating the damage done - and are seeking out the last mutants that they have been unable to track. They are unsure of which ones.
General Krang, son of the Emperor Quanin and Empress Temre, believes the most responsible course of action is to destroy any mutants they find. However, he has been put at bay by his chief scientist Ma’riell, who is searching for rehabilitation and reversal - and proof that they can thrive when given more appropriate homes. A difficult ideal to battle, given how her adoptive older sister Xeinos took in a mutant alligator that lives freely among them. Colonel Ch'rell is Krang's partner in many things, and is leaning more toward Krang's plan for mutants - though he wants a way to do it without stepping on his sister's tentacles.

Yoshi, meanwhile, has managed to find a home in an abandoned speakeasy in the sewer, and made it livable. He had managed to scavenge companionship in the Jones family, who run a restaurant above their home, and were the only human companions the turtles knew for most of their lives. While Yoshi taught the turtles his Japanese values and various forms of martial arts - because it was all he could give them - the Jones became the caters for most of the turtles casual hobbies.

Mr. Jones (not Hun) taught Michelangelo to cook, and Donatello how to work basic machinery - until he started thirsting for more complicated tasks, which was finally sated by online research and second-hand books given as gifts. Michelangelo is teaching himself ukulele, and is remarkably not awful. He likes pizza because it's a fast meal, but he loves to cook just about anything.
Mrs. Jones, meanwhile, was surprised at first to teach the tough and stubborn Raphael various handicraft, until she determined that it made sense. At the same time, Raphael was helping Casey in vigilantism against mobsters and loan sharks - which resulted in multiple failures early on. She also teaches Michelangelo to bake. Leonardo preferred his father’s company, though was happy to learn origami from Angel Jones - a skill that his father was only mediocre in. At first, it seemed origami wouldn’t benefit the family until he joined Donatello in making lamps for the lair. Yoshi is affectionately called “Splinter” as a codename - because he looks like one of the rats Mr. Jones had as a child.

Krang hires the enigmatic Baxter Stockman to help track down mutants, wanting to recalibrate his MOUSERS to track mutants instead of rodents. To their surprise, it works, as the MOUSERS find the turtles lair and ransack it. Splinter is injured in the crossfire, and after he disappears, is rescued by the Utroms seeking to rehabilitate mutants, hoping to protect him from Krang - and then they realize his true identity as the long-missing Hamato Yoshi. While on their way to rescue him, Casey accidentally gets his college study aid April O’Neil involved. When they find the TCRI building, they recognize the symbol from the MOUSERS and develop their plan to get in and find where Splinter has gone.

TL;DR: Ooze was an Utrom war/medical operation that mutates instead of heals on Earth. The turtles and Splinter call it Mutagen because they don't know any better.
No Tang Shen romance fight. Rather, a battle of longing for the past and moving forward
April is not the first humans the turtles meet; it’s Casey and his family
Krang and Shredder are the dark side of moral grays, rather than straight up evil (though Shredder would say light side, since white tones are ‘bad’ in his culture)
A minor morality battle among the Utroms to determine what to do with mutants
Splinter is a code name rather than an entirely new identity.

This is the most I can piece together.

I would have three mutant groups outside from the turtles.

The Mighty Mutanimals, consisting of Slash, Leatherhead, Pigeon Pete, Scumbag, Mondo Gecko, and two cats: Old Hob and Hamato Miwa, both of whom were mutated together in the TCRI fire. Hamato Shen is the honorary human, as Miwa's mother, and gives lodging to them in Northhampton, coincidentally not far from where the turtles would have to flee to eventually, but they never manage to cross paths.

The Mutant Misfits: the mutants that don't fit in with the others because they have neither human nor animal traits. Snakeweed, Mutagen Man/Seymour Gutz, Muckman, and Joe Eyeball

"The Swampers" (can never decide on their name). Leatherhead joins this group in as an farther-away-from-home family order to acclimate to being the Earthling that he is rather than cling to his alien foster family. The Punk Frogs are part of the group, joined by SpiderBites, maybe Scumbag, Ace Duck, a raccoon, and a possum and her eight children.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 09-16-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Id agree with the IDW adaptation, but keep the IDW original characters instead of replacing them with older ones. I might add a few new ones from Nick later on, mainly Tiger Claw, Murikami and human Xever, and a redesigned Spiderbytes and Snakeweed. I might use Shinigami as well, most likely as a member of the Pantheon like Kitsune and Rat King. The Nick mutants (and a couple of older ones like Mona Lisa and Venus) would be experiments from Baxter's lab.
Yeah I second this, especially human Xever
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Jephael
That whack job behind you

After watching some clips from the BBC version of I Love 1988, I'd love to do a live action/CGI/rotoscope sort of revamp with most of the same voice cast (Barry Gordon, Cam Clarke, Townsend Coleman, Rob Paulsen, Pat Fraley, Peter Renaday and Jim Cummings) all reprising their non-human roles. There would be no motion capture crap like in the Michael Bay films, except for the fight scenes. Whatever it takes to get her, I really want Anna Kendrick as April O' Neil! Michael J. Fox would make a great Professor Honeycutt/Fugitoid and I would love to see Rose McGowan as Irma! I'd kinda like Will Arnett to continue portraying Vernon Fenwick, but a little less hammy like he was in the Michael Bay films.

I'd borrow a lot of storyarcs from the Archie comics, so we'd see the original 7 Mutanimals exactly as they were done in the 90s. Greg Cipes could portray Mondo Gecko both before and after the mutation of his character, and just to stick to tradition Ashley Johnson could be Candy Fine. If it ever comes to the point I'd do the Terracide storyarc, I would only kill 3 of the Mutanimals, not the entire group.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'd love to see the original Mirage books animated. Of course my ideal turtle show would be mostly Mirage canon but with an actual show Bible, air tight continuity, and a solid story arc.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #13
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

I had this idea for a TMNT show years ago though some things have been changed to integrate some ideas from Nick.

The origin was a combination of Mirage/90 movie and the Fred Wolf cartoon. The romance rivalry between Saki and Yoshi happens, but instead of killing Tang Shen, Saki frames him for the death of the master of the foot. Yoshi flees to America while Saki married Tang Shen, raises Yoshi's daughter Miwa and has a second daughter named Karai(Miwa and Karai are separate characters here). Yoshi spends his life in the sewers living with the rats. Many years later, a blind man attempts to cross the street but is pushed out of the way of a speeding truck. A boy loses his pet turtles into the sewers where a canister labelled TCRI falls in. The canister and the turtles land on Yoshi, mutating them into 4 turtles and a rat.

Meanwhile in Japan, Shredder takes control of the Foot and uses it to build a criminal empire, unknown to his family who believe that he is just an honest business man. Miwa and Karai become old enough to join the foot. Karai becomes Shredder's second-in-command but Miwa becomes disgusted by what the Foot has become. She leaves the Foot, and goes under the alias "Lotus Blossom" as a vigilante for hire.

More time passes and single mother journalist April O'neil does a report on crime and ninjas in New York and is almost killed by the Purple Dragons(who Bebop and Rocksteady are a part of) but is saved by the Turtles.

A few tidbits about certain characters and whatnot:

- Season 1 would be more Mirage based with the turtles' war with the Foot, the introduction of Casey Jones, the Northhampton farm, etc. ending in Shredder's "death". Season 2 would introduce Krang who resurrects/heals Shredder with a type of worms from Dimension X. This season would introduce the Technodrome, Bebop & Rocksteady, the mutants, the Utroms, and Dimension X.

- The Utroms are from space and not Dimension X, but they do have access to it.

- Krang was an Utrom scientist and inventor of the mutagen, but was banished to a desolate planet in Dimension X for attempting to overthrow the council with rock soldiers.

- April has a daughter who is based on Nick April(minus the Kraang powers.) named May who has an internship in Stocktronics. She has no friends and is kind of lonely since her mother is always working to get that "big story" until she meets the turtles.

- Baxter Stockman doesn't become a fly, but his assistant, Dr. Barney Chaplin(who is visually based on white Stockman), does. And it's Stockman's fault it happens, too! Chaplin becomes obsessed with getting revenge against Stockman and anyone who gets in his way.

- Bebop and Rocksteady are pretty dumb, but dangerous. They think they can solve every problem with violence.

- The tone would be similar to the 2k3 cartoon except a little bit lighter.

- Lotus Blossom eventually meets her father(but not before almost killing them due to being hired by someone who tricks her into thinking the turtles are a menace.) and learns the truth about the Foot Clan. She ends up having a rivalry with her half-sister.

- Ch'rell may or may not be in the continuity and he may or may not be Krang's brother.

- There will be story arcs and continuity.

Last edited by TurtleGuy; 09-16-2016 at 11:19 PM.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I like that take on the Tang Shen issue .

Though, it did make me remember that I had forgotten Karai in my take. But she's not really important in the first part. Shredder doesn't have children; Karai is similar to how she is in Mirage. Just Shredder's right hand with no strings attached.
Or, take two, Karai is his wife, and their daughter is Himiko.

Ch'rell has a daughter named Aska though, and she's one of the Foot Assassins that the turtles called "Foot Bots", not knowing that there were Utroms inside them.
Because Utrom biology is a big weird whirlwind of various ranges of flexibility between individuals, Krang is her second parent. I would like to go into detail on that, but I'm not sure how or where.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'd love to see the original Mirage books animated. Of course my ideal turtle show would be mostly Mirage canon but with an actual show Bible, air tight continuity, and a solid story arc.
This.

Though it can be reimagined to suit a (ORIGINAL) cohesive vision. Just no importing of the children's spinoff stuff for the sake of the children's spinoff stuff.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

We've had this thread before but my ideal turtles show would be one based on the Playmates artwork/bios of the characters, that's what I imagined when I played with my TMNT figures.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #17
Commenter 42
Banned

Animate Mirage, try not to deviate, don't water it down.

I'd rather they use real teens, rather than adults as teens. Kids being violent is the missing component. It's a small nuance, but one that matters, at least to me.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:57 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

I like characters from all universes and my favourite incarnation of certain characters sometimes depends on my mood, so I can't say there's a single "ideal turtle show" of mine. I'd say that if the Fred Wolf series was all like it was in season 1 and 7 it would have been pretty damn good. But I also liked 4Kids series a lot.

I would settle for a FW cartoon with more edge to it. But seeing the first Mirage volume animated would be pretty sweet as well. But since American studios wont' give us that, I think we should let the Japanese handle that someday, since they're more versatile when it comes to animation. It's treated like an actual medium there and there's anime for all sorts of demographics. Unlike in the USA where you either make kids cartoons or comedies like South Park and Family Guy.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 AM   #19
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post
I
Karai becomes Shredder's second-in-command but Miwa becomes disgusted by what the Foot has become.
As much as I love Karai, especially in the 2012 series, I don't think she should be Shredder's right hand every series. I reckon that should go to someone like Tatsu, Hun or Tiger Claw, not Karai. Karai should just be a high ranking member of the Foot, not Shredder's right hand IMO.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #20
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This.

Though it can be reimagined to suit a (ORIGINAL) cohesive vision. Just no importing of the children's spinoff stuff for the sake of the children's spinoff stuff.
Oh yeah, no way. There'd be no budging on that in my version.
Just a smoothing out of narrative so it doesn't come across as nearly as "U.S.S. MakeS#itUp."
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote