The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #102
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Nice cover art.

Wonder if the story started in the first issue carries into the second one, or if we've been shown art samples from multiple issues? (Spider-Man getting swarmed by Mole-Man's followers was an early sample Stegman released online.)

Edit: Wow, Conway and Stegman were right about redesigning supervillains. Mole-Man now looks like he's been mutated with animal DNA. Wonder if this is meant to be explained in-story as something that happened to him after the divergence point between 616 and RYV, or if he "always" looked like this in the RYV universe.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #103
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Nice cover art.

Wonder if the story started in the first issue carries into the second one
The Mole-Man kicks off in the first issue and carries over, that's definite.

Quote:
Edit: Wow, Conway and Stegman were right about redesigning supervillains. Mole-Man now looks like he's been mutated with animal DNA. Wonder if this is meant to be explained in-story as something that happened to him after the divergence point between 616 and RYV, or if he "always" looked like this in the RYV universe.
I expect a lot of broad strokes where that's concerned...they have a eight year gap between whatever passed for OMD and this, so they don't have to explain it if they don't want to.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #104
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I expect a lot of broad strokes where that's concerned...they have a eight year gap between whatever passed for OMD and this, so they don't have to explain it if they don't want to.
Would pre-OMD stuff also fall under the broad strokes rule? I know that the interview made it sound like all those back-issues are in RYV's continuity, but stuff like the Civil War unmasking don't seemed to have happened in this series (based on the fact that Peter is still selling Spider-Man photos to the Bugle and the Parkers aren't on the run from the law), not to mention that some of us think that the earlier series indicated Annie was born during the '90s comics era, which would significantly change the storylines, if that's correct.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #105
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Would pre-OMD stuff also fall under the broad strokes rule? I know that the interview made it sound like all those back-issues are in RYV's continuity, but stuff like the Civil War unmasking don't seemed to have happened in this series (based on the fact that Peter is still selling Spider-Man photos to the Bugle and the Parkers aren't on the run from the law)
Again, that can be easily covered in the same way it was in OMIT, that Peter and MJ relied on Doctor Strange's mindwipe to hide Peter's identity, and the only difference is MJ didn't freak out about it afterwards and stayed committed to him.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #106
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Chameleon found out right after the Clone Saga ended, he took control of Ravencroft asylum and posed as Ashley Kafka, he managed to ambush and and drug Peter, making him think he was an actor who thought he was Spider-Man. Peter's love for MJ snaps him out of this delusion and Chameleon fled to the Parker house where he tried to attack MJ, but MJ destroyed him with a baseball bat, Chameleon fled and ran into one of Kraven's children, who took him out.

I don't know what happened to him in between, but the next time I read about him, we were in the middle of the horrible post-1999 era, though his next appearance was one of the better stories. Chameleon went through a period of mental instability after that, becoming even suicidal at one point.

I don't know that I'd consider post-1999 era as horrible- JMS started his run on ASM directly after the 1999 "Disassembled" arc, that basically tore apart the Avengers (Thanks Wanda!) and subjected Spidey to the "Queen" and his transformation into the "Man-Spider" monster that was so similar to the S-M: TAS story arc. I'd consider everything from then until OMD as one of the BEST eras.

I still think that Aunt May defeating him with sedatives in a batch of cookies when he tried to infiltrate Avengers Tower disguised as Peter was the best Chameleon story I've ever read. Guess she knows her nephew better than he thought!! (And he NEVER saw it coming....)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #107
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Has Spider-Man ever faced The Mole-Man? Mole-Man is a character I have never read so it will be a character study and fresh for me no matter if it is a variation of the villianous character.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:51 AM   #108
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Again, that can be easily covered in the same way it was in OMIT, that Peter and MJ relied on Doctor Strange's mindwipe to hide Peter's identity, and the only difference is MJ didn't freak out about it afterwards and stayed committed to him.
Maybe, although it seems like a really complicated backstory, when it would be simpler to just say that it never happened in the first place. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the series is more interested in the present than the past, so I'm betting that it's 616 history up till Brand New Day, but I'm predicting a lot of broad strokes.

(Note: I'm pretty sure that Annie was born pre-Clone Saga in the original RYV story, and if that is an altered timeline of this series, like Conway suggested, then I have a hard time understanding how Annie's birthdate would be changed to be post-OMD timeframe. Meaning that Peter and MJ spent most of the 616 years as parents, instead of a childless couple, which would lead to a lot of differences snowballing.)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:35 AM   #109
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Maybe, although it seems like a really complicated backstory
I don't see how it is in any way "complicated". It's a simple matter of keeping everyone in character while keeping a much simpler solution intact, and the eight year gap in between BND and what we have now means you can plug the gaps any way you want, and future issues will inform any other gaps if it suits the story, and they're not going to worry about that as the interviews suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Has Spider-Man ever faced The Mole-Man? Mole-Man is a character I have never read so it will be a character study and fresh for me no matter if it is a variation of the villianous character.
Peter fought Mole Man in the newspaper strip back in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I don't know that I'd consider post-1999 era as horrible- JMS started his run on ASM directly after the 1999 "Disassembled" arc, that basically tore apart the Avengers (Thanks Wanda!) and subjected Spidey to the "Queen" and his transformation into the "Man-Spider" monster that was so similar to the S-M: TAS story arc. I'd consider everything from then until OMD as one of the BEST eras
"Disassembled" wasn't until 2005/2006. JMS started in 2001, and The Other nonsense occurred in 2006.

I didn't mean every story post-1999 was terrible, just those first two years with Mackie and Byrne. Jenkins was good, JMS was excellent, Bendis was on fire, Spider-Girl was great. People trash Quesada all the time but his run as EIC saw some of the best Spider-Man and X-Men books on the market. Makes one wonder if he had just kept his preferences out of the books, Marvel would still be going strong today instead of having their butts kicked by DC

New rough draft from Stegman

Spoiler:

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-21-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #110
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I don't see how it is in any way "complicated". It's a simple matter of keeping everyone in character while keeping a much simpler solution intact, and the eight year gap in between BND and what we have now means you can plug the gaps any way you want, and future issues will inform any other gaps if it suits the story, and they're not going to worry about that as the interviews suggest.
Well, I guess we'll find out over the next few months how the background is handled.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #111
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Well, I guess we'll find out over the next few months how the background is handled.
Indeed, and if you're right, I'll concede. A part of me really just wants this to have everything in canon prior to the change intact. Everything else event-wise can be different, but just make JMS and all the 2000 era work count for something again.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #112
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Indeed, and if you're right, I'll concede. A part of me really just wants this to have everything in canon prior to the change intact. Everything else event-wise can be different, but just make JMS and all the 2000 era work count for something again.
Fair enough. Personally, I don't have any objections to the pre-OMD 616 stuff being ported over as is. I do want the RYV series to have Spider-Man's secret identity intact. Your scenario (where an alternate version of the mind erase) is perfectly fine (even if its not what I'd done). Being a Ultimate fan primarily, I guess I don't have the same kind of attachment to the old comics, and so am not as invested in them being followed as closely.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #113
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Fair enough. Personally, I don't have any objections to the pre-OMD 616 stuff being ported over as is. I do want the RYV series to have Spider-Man's secret identity intact. Your scenario (where an alternate version of the mind erase) is perfectly fine (even if its not what I'd done). Being a Ultimate fan primarily, I guess I don't have the same kind of attachment to the old comics, and so am not as invested in them being followed as closely.
It's generally my love of those stories that makes me want to keep them. It's why I would never really mind if the post-OMD era was retconned out of existence because aside from mishandling characters and having a status quoe I don't like, the stories really aren't that good or memorable.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #114
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
It's generally my love of those stories that makes me want to keep them. It's why I would never really mind if the post-OMD era was retconned out of existence because aside from mishandling characters and having a status quoe I don't like, the stories really aren't that good or memorable.
Gotcha.

Is there anything post-OMD that you'd like to see stick around or RYV do its own spin on?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:10 AM   #115
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Finished version of Stegman's interior for RYV

Quote:
Is there anything post-OMD that you'd like to see stick around or RYV do its own spin on?
Superior Spider-Man. Dan Slott said it would have been impossible to have pulled that story off with a married Peter, but I'd like to see someone pick up the challenge and see where it'd go.

I also would like to know how RYV Peter got involved in the Spider-Verse saga, since he made a cameo appearance in one of the short stories prior to the original RYV series being published. He obviously held his own and survived, but coming into contact with Morlun or the Inheritors intrigues me.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-22-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #116
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Finished version of Stegman's interior for RYV

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs6PS6gUMAAjUo9.jpg
Is that Mary Jane in the striped shirt? Wonder if this's supposed to be the shop she's running, or another place.

Quote:
Superior Spider-Man. Dan Slott said it would have been impossible to have pulled that story off with a married Peter, but I'd like to see someone pick up the challenge and see where it'd go.
Interesting. Do you mean the full thing where Ock is successful long-term, or like he initially uploads, but is beat basically the day he does it?

Quote:
I also would like to know how RYV Peter got involved in the Spider-Verse saga, since he made a cameo appearance in one of the short stories prior to the original RYV series being published. He obviously held his own and survived, but coming into contact with Morlun or the Inheritors intrigues me.
Hmm, would that be considered part of the current RYV timeline, or the one that the Secret Wars version belonged to?
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #117
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Is that Mary Jane in the striped shirt? Wonder if this's supposed to be the shop she's running, or another place.
Yeah, it's MJ. As for whether or not it's her boutique, I'm not sure, there's a vase of flowers at the desk and she seems to be familiar with the people serving her...but it's too early to call on that one just yet.

Quote:
Interesting. Do you mean the full thing where Ock is successful long-term, or like he initially uploads, but is beat basically the day he does it?
Maybe not for as long-term as Ock, but a span of time that would allow the characters to use their smarts and be redeemed for how easily the wool was pulled over their eyes in the original story.

As for Ock failing "the day he did it", that was already covered in the flashbacks in Scarlet Spiders when he tried it on Ben Reily, only for Ben to resist, which caused Ock's death.

Quote:
Hmm, would that be considered part of the current RYV timeline, or the one that the Secret Wars version belonged to?
Considering Battleworld's RYV occurred long after Spider-Verse and there was nothing left of the multiverse around that point, and Conway confirming the RYV universe was built back up afterwards, I'd wager money on the current RYV timeline.

In that story, Peter spoke of Harry being around, so his resurrection, as badly handled in the post-OMD era as it was, probably still happened in this timeline too.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #118
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Yeah, it's MJ. As for whether or not it's her boutique, I'm not sure, there's a vase of flowers at the desk and she seems to be familiar with the people serving her...but it's too early to call on that one just yet.
On second glance, MJ looks like a customer more than anything.

Quote:
Maybe not for as long-term as Ock, but a span of time that would allow the characters to use their smarts and be redeemed for how easily the wool was pulled over their eyes in the original story.

As for Ock failing "the day he did it", that was already covered in the flashbacks in Scarlet Spiders when he tried it on Ben Reily, only for Ben to resist, which caused Ock's death.
I see. I'm not sure about all that, but okay.

Quote:
Considering Battleworld's RYV occurred long after Spider-Verse and there was nothing left of the multiverse around that point, and Conway confirming the RYV universe was built back up afterwards, I'd wager money on the current RYV timeline.
It would make sense that Spider-Verse happened before the Secret Wars incursion. I'm not sure though if it'll play a role or not.

Quote:
In that story, Peter spoke of Harry being around, so his resurrection, as badly handled in the post-OMD era as it was, probably still happened in this timeline too.
I have the original RYV trade paperback, which has that short story. They don't exactly say that Harry is still alive in the RYV world; the Spider-Men just confirm that they both had Harry as best friend. So, I don't think Harry needs to be alive.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #119
ZariusTwo
Overlord

New interview with Conway and Stegman

Quote:
Do you have an itch only Spider family fun can scratch?

Let Gerry Conway and Ryan Stegman tell you all about their new book, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS, picking up where the Secret Wars series of the same name by Dan Slott and Adam Kubert left off this November and starring everyone’s favorite neighborhood Spider-Man, Mary Jane, and their daughter Annie!

Marvel.com: Spider-Man and his web-headed pals are in a bunch of books right now, sailing across Manhattan’s skyline and punching bad guys. Can you tell us a little about AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS and what makes it different for the other Spidey books out there?

Gerry Conway: It’s hard when you discuss an alternate universe book to make it clear these stories matter to continuity, but in the case of RYV—and all the Spider-Verse inspired series—they really do matter, because there’s the potential for cross-pollination between these universes. But even without that, RYV fills a very special role: it shows us the life Peter Parker would be living without the events of Brand New Day.

For long time fans—and new fans too, of course—it's a book full of possibilities. We can literally do almost anything with Peter, Mary Jane, Annie, and the world of RENEW YOUR VOWS. This is a story about a family of super heroes; close knit, loving, and funny. It’s exciting for us as creators and we hope it’ll be fun and exciting for readers too.

Marvel.com: You guys are playing in an all-new sandbox with this book right? Everything takes place in a world apart from the prime Marvel Universe that hasn’t really been explored yet. Is that kind of creative control daunting? Liberating?

Gerry Conway: I kinda answered this one above. Ryan you wanna take a crack at it?

Ryan Stegman: Sure. It’s absolutely liberating. It reminds me of when I worked on SCARLET SPIDER. It wasn’t a separate universe per se, but it was Houston instead of New York. So we didn’t have to work within the parameters of whichever big events were happening and we could tell an uninterrupted story. In RENEW YOUR VOWS, we have a similar scenario except probably even more freedom as I can change the designs of pretty much anybody to suit how I want to draw them. It’s incredibly fun to put my spin on classic designs.

Marvel.com: What kind of stories are you guys most excited to tell in this new world? You’ve got a clean slate to work with. Do you have any favorite characters you're trying to work in?

Gerry Conway: We’ll be playing in the Spider-Man sandbox, but because we’re the only series set in this particular world, we’re free to bring in characters and villains that might normally only appear in different Marvel series. For example, our first three-issue arc features Mole Man—but it’s a version of Mole Man no one’s seen before.

Ryan Stegman: I just want to tell stories that I would want to read. I’ve always loved love in comic books. It seems to be something that is rarer and rarer these days. But this is a family that loves each other, and that immediately raises the stakes immeasurably. And I get to draw the big super hero action scenes as well as the quiet, tender moments. It’s a perfect balance.

Marvel.com: We’ve got a family of crime fighters doing spider things, but would you call RENEW YOUR VOWS a “family friendly” book?

Gerry Conway: Absolutely. That isn’t to say there won’t be drama and tension, but this isn’t a dark series. The emphasis is on fun, family comedy and drama, action and suspense. Not planning any dramatic visits to the George Washington or Brooklyn Bridges.

1 of 2 Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2016) #1 cover by Ryan Stegman

Marvel.com: Gerry how are Peter and Mary Jane different than how we see them now in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN? What sort of relationship do they have? And what's their daughter Annie like?

Gerry Conway: Well, they’ve been married for 10 years, they’re parents of an eight-year-old daughter, they love each other, they’re committed to each other and they have the typical day to day difficulties of a young family in New York. Plus, spider-powers. Which aren’t always a plus.

Marvel.com: Ryan, how does your style in this book compare to say, SCARLET SPIDER? Did you get to reimagine the crime fighting trio’s look?

Ryan Stegman: My style has evolved because SCARLET SPIDER was...five years ago? Yeesh. Anyway, I’ve evolved, but the same super hero action and dedication to drawing Spider-people in spider-poses is still there. I love drawing Spider-people. It’s what I was born to do. So this is a pretty easy project for me to sink my teeth into.

I did get to re-design the costumes. I left Peter’s as-is because, well, it’s the greatest costume design in comic book history. You can do all kinds of different things to it, but nothing beats the classic. MJ got a new look, one based on her love of fashion. Her willful attitude would definitely make her want to set herself apart from Peter’s look. So she’s got a costume that reflects Peter’s, but screams MJ. And their daughter Annie is from the same tree costume-wise, but her costume involves a lot more pads because her parents are over-protective! I mean, would you let your child go swing around the city without pads?

Marvel.com: Is there anything else we should know about RENEW YOUR VOWS before it hits store shelves?

Gerry Conway: It’s going to be a historic hit and everyone needs to order multiple copies for future resale. You’ve been warned.

Ryan Stegman: You should know that I’m doing everything I can to make this the best work of my career. I feel great about it; I’m having the time of my life. I think the readers will feel that enthusiasm coming through.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26752/...#ixzz4L1E6TS23

Peter and MJ have been together a decade here.

I'm assuming with the potential for crossovers, that the RYV Peter or Annie will cross over with 616/Earth Prime next June in a story celebrating the marriage's 30th anniversary

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-22-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM   #120
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
New interview with Conway and Stegman

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26752/...#ixzz4L1E6TS23

Peter and MJ have been together a decade here.
I'm pretty rusty on the 616 timeline. If we assume that the RYV Parkers got married at the same time as their pre-OMD-616 counterparts (wherever in the multiverse they are now), does that mean that RYV is taking place concurrently with 616's present, or is it a few years in the future?

Also, if the ten years figure is accurate, the Parkers got married when they did in 616, and Annie is indeed eight, would that suggest that she was born pre-OMD, or am I mixing things up?

Quote:
I'm assuming with the potential for crossovers, that the RYV Peter or Annie will cross over with 616/Earth Prime next June in a story celebrating the marriage's 30th anniversary
Why would Marvel want to celebrate it, given that they've been trying to push it under the rug for years (as far as 616 goes, at any rate)? It seems like anything that treats it (or the characters as a couple of any kind) kindly these days are specific writers acting on their own violation.

Last edited by WebLurker; 09-23-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns