The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utromshredderhater View Post
No. There was another manga that was in color and had Casey Jones in it and a more evil looking Shredder, and the art work was based on American comic book art
I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is Hidetsugu Yoshioka's story pages from Comic Bom Bom (story pages and manga aren't the same thing).

http://www.allspark.com/content/view/3681/37/

I'd like to translate them, but as I've already explained, the scans are of too low quality for me to read all the text. I'd have to get ahold of the actual Comic Bom Bom issues and take higher quality scans myself in order to pursue such a project.

I'd love to, as I'm a big fan of Yoshioka's work, but I haven't the money for such endeavors at the moment (back issues of Bom Bom are notoriously expensive, particularly ones that also have Transformers content in them).

-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQAQohS0On4

The fact that this all makes relative sense to me is kinda sad.
that's so cool

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is Hidetsugu Yoshioka's story pages from Comic Bom Bom (story pages and manga aren't the same thing).

http://www.allspark.com/content/view/3681/37/

I'd like to translate them, but as I've already explained, the scans are of too low quality for me to read all the text. I'd have to get ahold of the actual Comic Bom Bom issues and take higher quality scans myself in order to pursue such a project.

I'd love to, as I'm a big fan of Yoshioka's work, but I haven't the money for such endeavors at the moment (back issues of Bom Bom are notoriously expensive, particularly ones that also have Transformers content in them).
Do you know which issues the Yoshioka stuff appeared in? From what I understand these turtles stories appeared in 2 page installments in a series of Transformers issues.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

I know that the Super Turtles pages ran concurrently with the Transformers Generation 2 stuff, which ran from August, 1995 to January, 1996 in Comic Bom Bom. Beyond that, I don't know the precise issues.

I could try contacting Hydra, who took the scans for TFPulp at the Allspark and see if he can tell me the exact issues, but he's busy (he's a Japanese TV star) and may not be able to reply.

-Mark Pellegrini
Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #25
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

And Super Turtles Vol. 1, "Mystery of the Sacred Mutastones" is complete!

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010/...00-are-up.html

I hope all 4 of you who read this stuff enjoy! I'll try and get to the remaining Super Turtles volumes next year. For now, though, I'm gonna focus on more reviews and articles on my site, since my stats function indicates those are what get all the page hits and those are what readers seem most interested in.

Still, I DO intend to finish the series whether anybody's reading or not.

On a sidenote, did anybody else notice that Idemitsu seemed to be under the impression that Donatello was the leader of the team? Cuz man, Don sure comes off that way in this thing.

-Mark Pellegrini
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
Buffy
Mad Scientist

Cool! Thanks for sharing! I have the books at home, but now I know what they are actually saying.

Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #27
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Cool! Thanks for sharing! I have the books at home, but now I know what they are actually saying.
ditto on both

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I hope all 4 of you who read this stuff enjoy! I'll try and get to the remaining Super Turtles volumes next year. For now, though, I'm gonna focus on more reviews and articles on my site, since my stats function indicates those are what get all the page hits and those are what readers seem most interested in.

Still, I DO intend to finish the series whether anybody's reading or not.
Spengs, I really do appreciate your diligence on this. I know I'm biased since it's my book you are actually translating, but I do think there is value in investing your time with something this unique, even if it hasn't garnered the broader appeal it should receive.

Quote:
On a sidenote, did anybody else notice that Idemitsu seemed to be under the impression that Donatello was the leader of the team? Cuz man, Don sure comes off that way in this thing.
Don's portrayal struck me as in accordance with his role in the Old Toon. Most of the time it was Donatello's techno-savvy that played the key role in resolving the plot. What about Idemitsu's portrayal struck you as out of place?

View my sketch work!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #29
Powder
Endless Screw

I'm gonna save them all & read 'em on my CPU now that the first volume is complete. Thanks alot for your efforts!
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #30
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

Quote:
Don's portrayal struck me as in accordance with his role in the Old Toon. Most of the time it was Donatello's techno-savvy that played the key role in resolving the plot. What about Idemitsu's portrayal struck you as out of place?
If you notice, every time the Turtles go charging into battle, it's Don leading the way and screaming "Let's go!" and "Cowabunga!" He's at the forefront of every group shot and is the one who confronts the villains directly.

Leo is left with pretty much nothing to do or say in the volume, as Don is doing all the tech-savvy stuff AND all the leading.

-Mark Pellegrini
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
If you notice, every time the Turtles go charging into battle, it's Don leading the way and screaming "Let's go!" and "Cowabunga!" He's at the forefront of every group shot and is the one who confronts the villains directly.

Leo is left with pretty much nothing to do or say in the volume, as Don is doing all the tech-savvy stuff AND all the leading.
Ah, good points. In these last pages, I guess that makes sense since he assumed the primary seat on the bike (that was funny watching the other turtles grumble about having to ride side-saddle to Donny). But I guess you're right that even in Super turtle form, Don leads the way. Oh well, at least Leo is leading the turtles on the cover!

View my sketch work!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #32
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

Man, going by my stats function, TMNT Entity readers really aren't into this stuff.

When my page is full of reviews and articles, I average 300 hits a day (very modest, I know).

Once I posted the last batch of manga pages, my hits sank to 40 a day.

Wow.

I'm gonna be focusing on reviews and articles for a while, now, to try and win my audience back.

-Mark Pellegrini
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #33
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Quote:
Man, going by my stats function, TMNT Entity readers really aren't into this stuff.

Wow.
some of us are busy ya know, lol!

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #34
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

When my page is full of reviews and articles, I average 300 hits a day (very modest, I know).

Wow.

I'm gonna be focusing on reviews and articles for a while, now, to try and win my audience back.
Oh well, genius is rarely appreciated in its own day.

I read your posts regardless, though.

Sill, your stats might improve when you translate the next volume. Super Turtles #2 does feature some *ahem* "fan-service" (if that's what they call it these days) involving April in a bikini for the entire issue. So, you know, sex sells and all that...

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 12-19-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Quote:
Oh well, genius is rarely appreciated in its own day.

I read your posts regardless, though.

Sill, your stats might improve when you translate the next volume. Super Turtles #2 does feature some *ahem* "fan-service" (if that's what they call it these days) involving April in a bikini for the entire issue. So, you know, sex sells and all that...
rofl! that's funny

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #36
Psypher39
Random Punk

Quote:
I know that the Super Turtles pages ran concurrently with the Transformers Generation 2 stuff, which ran from August, 1995 to January, 1996 in Comic Bom Bom. Beyond that, I don't know the precise issues.

I could try contacting Hydra, who took the scans for TFPulp at the Allspark and see if he can tell me the exact issues, but he's busy (he's a Japanese TV star) and may not be able to reply.
as i wrote in an email to you when i was in japan it looks like comic bom bom had tmnt stories before august of 95 as i was able to find them in an april 95 issue im not sure if there are some before that but seems likely. if i had to venture a guess i would say its likely to start in january 95 but thats just a guess.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #37
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

So when's Super Turtles Vol.2 due? he asked greedily.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #38
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
So when's Super Turtles Vol.2 due? he asked greedily.
As soon as I finish reviewing the last few issues of TMNT (Vol. 3), I'll begin on the next volume of Super Turtles. I haven't started script translations yet, but I did do a quick read-through the other night.

It's definately the weak link of the three volumes in terms of both story and artwork, but I'll see if I can't knock it out and get it over with.

Oldmanwinters has also been sending me some other Super Turtles rarities recently, including shorter manga strips (that are extremely bonkers and surreal; think Japanese Hedden and McWeeney). Those aren't a top priority, but I may get around to them when I run out of other manga to translate.

He's also shot me over the first installment of the Hidetsugu Yoshioka Super Turtles story pages. The scans that are already online over at The Allspark are too low quality for me to properly translate, but these super lage, hi def scans from Oldmanwinters should present no challenge (aside from the center text near the binding, but I think I can fudge that).

Keep in mind, this is only the first story page; we don't have any of the others, yet. But it'll still be cool to see that one installment in hi-def and in English.

Anyway, I've got a lot on my plate, but I'll try and take these out in a timely fashion. Super Turtles Vol. 2 will be first, and in 25-ish page increments as I did with Super Turtles Vol. 1.

-Mark Pellegrini
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #39
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

good luck to ya dude! can't wait to read it when you're done

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #40
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy

Some exciting news, at least to me, about the future of the TMNT manga.

TMNT Entity is teaming up with a new manga translation group, The Optical Internet Translation Gang, to bring you better quality versions of all the manga, plus faster availability of future volumes.

Cryoman, the head of the group, will be relettering all my old translations with Adam Winters's raw scans, beginning with Mutant Turtles Gaiden.

He just sent me the first chapter for approval and I think they look superb!

My image editing skills are tremendously lacking and I was always a bit ashamed at how the comics came out under my hand. Sure, you could READ them, but they were anything but pretty.

Cryoman's versions, however, are very handsome and bring a greater emphasis to elements of the dialogue that give the whole comic more life and personality.

And, even BETTER, is that they make all their comics available as downloads in .cbr format from the getgo.

I know how much everyone hates how I have the comics on my site; one page per blog post and you've gotta click to enlarge. This way should be a lot more palletable.

Additionally, one of the main things that's been cramping my productivity is that, while I love the translating and script-writing process, I HATE image editing and uploading to the blog one page at a time.

Now that THAT process has been entirely eliminated on my end, we should be able to get issues to you a whole lot faster.

Whenever he makes an issue available on his site, I'll add a link to TMNT Entity on the main page and I'll update the manga section to link to their download, as well.

Anyhow, though they'll be starting with older material you've already seen, I highly recommend you replace my fugly old versions with the new ones. They're like night and day.

-Mark Pellegrini

Tags
dengeki comics, tmnt entity