The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #21
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I really dig the DreamEx line. They look great together.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
Damien Kash
Foot Soldier

I have to say, these last few years have given us some awesome TMNT figures!

Might change my mind when/if I get the Neca cartoon versions, but my favorites are the SH Figuarts ones. Followed close by the 90's movie figures from Neca.

There is just something about the Figuarts versions that I love! The look and size of'em! The different expressions!
Damien Kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #23
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

For me it's hands down NECA's Mirage line, I really really hope we get to see those continued some day.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #24
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Neca. The Henson Raphael I have on my Desk is just gorgeous to look at.
I hope the 1:4 version?

I honestly don't understand why many people prefer the 7" versions over the 1:4 versions. Imo the 7" ones are a bit overrated. Don doesn't even have the Bo Staff holder. I know it's easy to do with some twistie tie's but still.
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #25
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus Orbus View Post
For me it's hands down NECA's Mirage line, I really really hope we get to see those continued some day.
Those were so mindblowing at the time. The first tmnt figures I actually loved since the originals. Would love to see a continuation.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaDoMic View Post

I honestly don't understand why many people prefer the 7" versions over the 1:4 versions. Imo the 7" ones are a bit overrated. Don doesn't even have the Bo Staff holder. I know it's easy to do with some twistie tie's but still.
I prefer the 7" ones because I own way too much crap to even entertain the notion of buying those bigger ones. I've got no room as it is. But I can pretty much fit the smaller ones anywhere.

They're presently "chilling out" on a shelf with Solid Snake and Jenna Jameson.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #27
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

They each have pros, if you ask me.

The smaller figures have a nice paintjob. It looks "wet" and organic, compared to the larger ones. Although, the larger ones have a nice texture grooved into their skin, to somewhat make up for that, if I can recall without having them on hand.

The smaller figures also have better looking joints. The arm and leg pads do a better job disguising the "clockwork" going on under the hood.

The larger figures have cloth bandanas, as opposed to plastic. That's left to preference, but I love the cloth, personally.
There also the staff holder, as you mentioned.

The size itself is also a double-edged sword. The longer I own these, the more I warm up to the larger size. I have no space, so mine stays in the closet, but I'm always impressed when I catch a glimpse of it.

There is something really satisfying about collecting the small scale figures though. Maybe it's the way they fit in your hand, or the fact that I grew up primarily playing with this size, I'm not sure. But there's something inherently appealing about the small ones. To me, at least.

Both are great though. I can understand why either would be preferred.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-23-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #28
super curry max
Hench Mutant

Up until a year or 2 ago I'd have said next mutation camo bandanas

But I love the rise of tmnt line.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #29
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I prefer the 7" ones because I own way too much crap to even entertain the notion of buying those bigger ones. I've got no room as it is. But I can pretty much fit the smaller ones anywhere.

They're presently "chilling out" on a shelf with Solid Snake and Jenna Jameson.
IMO true fans must make room for the special ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
They each have pro's, if you ask me.

The smaller figures have a nice paintjob. It looks "wet" and organic, compared to the larger ones. Although, the larger ones have a nice texture grooved into their skin, to somewhat make up for that, if I can recall without having them on hand.

The smaller figures also have better looking joints. The arm and leg pads do a better job disguising the "clockwork" going on under the hood.

The larger figures have cloth bandanas, as opposed to plastic. That's left to preference, but I love the cloth, personally.

The size itself is also a double-edged sword. The longer I own these, the more I warm up to the larger size. I have no space, so mine stays in the closet, but I'm always impressed when I catch a glimpse of it.

There is something really satisfying about collecting the small scale figures though. Maybe it's the way they fit in your hand, or the fact that I grew up primarily playing with this size, I'm not sure. But there's something inherently appealing about the small ones. To me, at least.

Good points. About the joints on the 1:4 ones, I prefer to put these in "museum poses" so the big ugly joints are not visible at all. Neca did an amazing job with the elbow- and kneepads. I remembered I was on the fence first due the big size but eventually these are my favorite ones due to the presence, expression and impressiveness. The 7" ones are perfect for dynamic action poses.

I have 2 cabinets and the 1:4 figures are standing on top of that. I don't want other figures in 1:4 (only Splinter and Casey if they will be made). This makes them even more unique and the true crown jewels of my collection.

But indeed both are amazing and it's just personal taste.

EDIT: See what I mean?

Last edited by LeoRaDoMic; 12-23-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #30
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Those were so mindblowing at the time. The first tmnt figures I actually loved since the originals. Would love to see a continuation.
I'd kill for them to re-issue the originals, even. The bootlegs just aren't as good.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #31
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Tuff call. Overall the figuarts are probably my favorites. But I'm always mixing them with other lines since they only did the 4 brothers. So I kinda consider them and NECA together. I'm seriously nostalgically attached to the original playmates I collected in my childhood too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #32
DarkAtuin
Random Punk

Really tough decision really...

If it's the entire series than probably:

1: 1988 Original Playmates Basic Line, because of huge character cast and nostalgia
2: 2012 Nickelodeon Playmates Line, because I liked the show and the first couple of figure series were quite good and had a somewhat large cast
3: 2017-Present NECA MWS Line, Good Balance between sculpt, articulation, accessories and price, might rank higher for me depending on future additions.

Honorable Mentions:
1992/1993 Playmates Mutations Line, interesting idea and they also were my first figures
1992 Playmates Movie Star Line, still looking good on display and nostalgia for the movies
Present NECA 7 Inch Movie Line, mostly because of the above
2013 LEGO Nick Turtles, because Lego
1994-1996 Playmates Mini Mutants, because they were awesome

All other lines were either too expensive, far too crazy/lacking a reference, too large in scale, lacked important characters or otherwise not that desirable or memorable.
DarkAtuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #33
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
IMO true fans must make room for the special ones
You can have your opinion, but it doesn't work for me. I rent the upstairs half of a fairly modest house and 95% of the "cool sh*t" I own has been in boxes for over ten years, and will remain there for the time being until we move to a place where we can "spread out" more.

Stuff like that is too expensive for me to buy just to stick it in a box in the garage, which is where it would end up since I just don't have any display room for it.

Kinda unfair to label someone not a "true fan" because their living situation sucks, but I'm pretty sure you were joking.

Nice set-up, by the way. Hope to have something similar one day.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I have 2 cabinets and the 1:4 figures are standing on top of that. I don't want other figures in 1:4 (only Splinter and Casey if they will be made). This makes them even more unique and the true crown jewels of my collection.

But indeed both are amazing and it's just personal taste.

EDIT: See what I mean?
https://i.ibb.co/JpxLTbH/20191123-225733.jpg
Looks fantastic. Urges me to collect the rest of the large figures and find a larger apartment.

I'm not a big figure collector. I own some Neca TMNT, a Mafex Batman and Joker, a couple Batman Black and White statues, and a handful of childhood figures in a box somewhere. I'm more of a minimalist, but your collection is fun to look at and seems to hold many special pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
I'd kill for them to re-issue the originals, even. The bootlegs just aren't as good.
I wasn't aware that they are now hard to find. I gave the ones I had away, so I'll probably be kicking myself sometime in the next 5 years.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-23-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #35
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Well then, double fingers crossed for a NECA Mirage TMNT re-release.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #36
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

The original release would have to be because of nostalgia but the 1/4 Movie figures are of such quality and something I never thought would be released. Theres a lot of good stuff, look forward to getting the NECA Fred Wolf figures finally.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:10 PM   #37
Marm O. Set
Random Punk

Since nostalgia has a stranglehold on me, nothing beats the 1988-1992 Playmates lineup. I also have the newest NECA target Fred Wolf releases and they are great. Those are the two lines I choose to spend my money on.

I have a few from other lines like the 2003 and 2012 lines but that’s only because I find the super cheap while I’m toy hunting. If they weren’t $1-3, then I wouldn’t have gotten them.
Marm O. Set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #38
LeoRaDoMic
Banned

Quote:
Looks fantastic. Urges me to collect the rest of the large figures and find a larger apartment.

I'm not a big figure collector. I own some Neca TMNT, a Mafex Batman and Joker, a couple Batman Black and White statues, and a handful of childhood figures in a box somewhere. I'm more of a minimalist, but your collection is fun to look at and seems to hold many special pieces
Thank you. I'm also a minimalist. I only collect the hard core of certain lines and some favorite figures like Beast and Wolverine while I'm not really a big fan of X-Men. I also don't want more stuff than the content of the 2 cabinets.

Quote:
They each have pros, if you ask me.

I don't really like the "wet" look of the smaller figures. They didn't had that look in the movie also. Indeed, I really dig the cloth bandana's on the larger ones. More realistic and more possibilities.

I have the opposite with the figures in hand. There is something really satisfying for me to handle such a beautiful big figure (no pun intended).
The 7" ones aren't that special in my opinion and the 1:4 are literally just more figure for the money. And also the eyes on the big ones, those eyes!

About the joints: I think the 1:4 figures must be posed in "museum style" poses, so not too dynamic. That way the ugly joints are not even visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marm O. Set View Post
Since nostalgia has a stranglehold on me, nothing beats the 1988-1992 Playmates lineup. I also have the newest NECA target Fred Wolf releases and they are great. Those are the two lines I choose to spend my money on.

I have a few from other lines like the 2003 and 2012 lines but that’s only because I find the super cheap while I’m toy hunting. If they weren’t $1-3, then I wouldn’t have gotten them.
Man what does everybody have with that stupid nostalgia reason. The Playmates stuff is crap compared to Neca. Move on to the good stuff!

Last edited by LeoRaDoMic; 01-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.