The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #21
matteso586
Stone Warrior

It's about time we learn how Raph got that crack on his shell.

Without the multi colored masks, it's hard to tell which baby Turtle is which.

It appears that some of the Kraang's technology doesn't work well underground.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #22
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Love this episode. This episode proves to me that Hoon Lee is the best iteration of Splinter in my opinion.
Agreed. I also have felt since episode 1 that he gives the strongest performance in the series.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #23
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Agreed. I also have felt since episode 1 that he gives the strongest performance in the series.
glad to hear that. I even tweeted that I thought his splinter was the best out of all the other splinters to him a few months back and he said it was very much appreciated.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #24
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Man, with listening to a clip of the younger Turtles, it does feel weird with Seth Green being there instead of Jason Briggs. I know the vocal change was explained in season 3, but for young Leo, it feels weird to me despite being used to his voice now.

Reviewing this soon.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #25
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Man, with listening to a clip of the younger Turtles, it does feel weird with Seth Green being there instead of Jason Briggs. I know the vocal change was explained in season 3, but for young Leo, it feels weird to me despite being used to his voice now.

Reviewing this soon.
They can't really ditch Green and ask Biggs back for the episode though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #26
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
Without the multi colored masks, it's hard to tell which baby Turtle is which.
At first it was confusing but the way I figured it out, got easy for me.

Mikey and Donnie are both light green, Mikey has the freckles and Donnie has a different shaped head.

Leo and Raph was a bit harder, they are darker but Raph is more darker than Leo and he has the evil face look sometimes. Then Raph had the chip in the plastron and it got more easy to tell them apart.

This is the only bit that I couldn't tell them apart

Quote:

Reviewing this soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Last year Dominic (2nd Leo voice) did tweet he was voicing Leo again, so I though it was for this episode but it was Seth Green that voiced Leo.

Last edited by Vicky82; 08-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #27
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I get that.

I know that in Darkest Plight, they redubbed some of Jason's lines with Seth. That I can understand from a story perspective. This time though, it feels... off. Young Leo feels like he's hit puberty too soon.

However, for this episode, it feels more noticeable. Obviously bringing in Jason here would be possible confusion for younger fans, but for here when the Turtles are children, it's especially weird at least to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post

Last year Dominic (2nd Leo voice) did tweet he was voicing Leo again, so I though it was for this episode but it was Seth Green that voiced Leo.
That's something I don't get. Dominic Catrambone was getting better as Leo after filling in. He's not my favorite Leo (that would be Brian Tochi), but if he continued, I still feel his voice could've justified being deepened with the voice box damage.

I got nothing against Seth Green at all. I've gotten used to him, but for this episode, he feels a bit out of place with sounding younger. Not to the same extent as the 2k3 Turtles team, but a bit jarring for my tastes.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, Nick's Splinter really is one of the best incarnations of Splinter ever. I'm really going to miss this Splinter the most when this show ends, (and technically I miss him now because he's dead and this is probably his last episode).

Really great episode, feels like it was a Season 1 episode. In fact this probably should have been a Season 1 episode...instead of being made now at literally the end of the show. I guess better late than never.

I'm glad we finally know how the Turtles got their names and weapons, something not revealed before in this series. I almost kind of wish they made a sequel episode featuring the Turtle toddlers with their weapons, but oh well, the show is over. Great ep.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #29
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I get that.

I know that in Darkest Plight, they redubbed some of Jason's lines with Seth. That I can understand from a story perspective. This time though, it feels... off. Young Leo feels like he's hit puberty too soon.

However, for this episode, it feels more noticeable. Obviously bringing in Jason here would be possible confusion for younger fans, but for here when the Turtles are children, it's especially weird at least to me.

That's something I don't get. Dominic Catrambone was getting better as Leo after filling in. He's not my favorite Leo (that would be Brian Tochi), but if he continued, I still feel his voice could've justified being deepened with the voice box damage.

I got nothing against Seth Green at all. I've gotten used to him, but for this episode, he feels a bit out of place with sounding younger. Not to the same extent as the 2k3 Turtles team, but a bit jarring for my tastes.
I didn't notice as much difference with Dominic where as Green was very different (also sounds less like a teen), but I like him as Leo.

Biggs will always be the American pie guy to me
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #30
Fang Wolf
Proud Swedish Furry

For me was this episode the best of this season for now.
Baby turtles is sooo cute....
Fang Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #31
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
At first it was confusing but the way I figured it out, got easy for me.

Mikey and Donnie are both light green, Mikey has the freckles and Donnie has a different shaped head.

Leo and Raph was a bit harder, they are darker but Raph is more darker than Leo and he has the evil face look sometimes. Then Raph had the chip in the plastron and it got more easy to tell them apart.

This is the only bit that I couldn't tell them apart

https://68.media.tumblr.com/efc5b62b...9c31o2_540.gif

My speculation from right to left...Mikey would be the one that Splinter tucks in since we hear Greg Cipes make the yawning noise and Mikey is also the most affectionate of the turtles so having him cuddle against the Turtle next to him is something Mikey would have done.

Raph is the one loudly snoring, because his complexion is darker then Mikey's. And loud is one of the words is used to describe Raph.

The other two are harder to tell apart. All we know is one is showing some discomfort when he's being pushed into his to his other sleeping brother. And the other one is just sleeping peacefully with his mouth hanging open.

I at first thought the one with his mouth hanging open was Donnie since at first glance the head is a similar shape. But he has a darker complexion compared to the one showing discomfort.

But on closer look, Donnie is the one showing discomfort at being sort of pressed into Leo, and Leo is the one just peacefully sleeping with his mouth open.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #32
ToTheNines
[sic]

Such a good episode! I totally teared up when Splinter had the vision of Shen and Miwa, afraid he didn't deserve a second chance to be a father. Also when he gave Leo the sword, since that's what he flashed back to when Splinter died.

Pretty egregious of Nickelodeon to not air this one on Father's Day like they originally planned. But probably for the best, since I would have been ugly crying lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
it was pretty Awesome seeing Kevin Eastman on the writing credits.
Agreed!

Quote:

Reviewing this soon.
That's my one nitpick too. I figured they'd use Catrambone, but I guess he's just doing an additional voice in another episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really great episode, feels like it was a Season 1 episode. In fact this probably should have been a Season 1 episode...instead of being made now at literally the end of the show.
I don't see what's so funny, but you're totally wrong. First of all, the episode is especially poignant because Splinter is dead. Secondly, the Shen/Miwa vision wouldn't have been as effective coming before "Tale of the Yokai".
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #33
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

Vicky and Victory

You're welcome
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #34
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
Thanks

It's so cute seeing Mikey cuddle up to Raph. I love there moments together.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also when toddler Don was talking, he sounded just like the kid version of Raphael in the two original cartoon episodes. Not a surprise since Rob Paulsen used the same type of high-pitched light voice.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #36
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Splinter

Great to have a Splinter-focused episode.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #37
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I loved this episode to death. The baby Turtles were so cute and I think the voice actors did a great job sounding younger and pulled it off too. I always felt like the 2k3 actors were sort of forced when trying to sound younger, but the Nick cast nailed it for me. I loved how the Turtles each handled their weapons as a baby and the origin of Raph's crack in his shell. The flashback to Yoshi as his human self and of Shen and Miwa was also a nice touch to how Splinter doubts himself as a father. Loved how they got their home and their weapons at the end. Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the season and a great last appearance for Splinter.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #38
TheJ-manTurtleMan
Stone Warrior

Alright, I have to eat crow about what I've been saying about the baby turtles, that they are creepy looking. They were actually pretty darn adorable in the episode!

Did any one else watch "Rise of the Turtles" right after watching this?

"I love a little hot sauce on my pizza! I love a little hot sauce yes I dooo!"
TheJ-manTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #39
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Man, I don't know where to start. This episode was PERFECT. It made my day, until the new tmnt summer short came in and ruined it.

It was the perfect send off to Master Splinter and wraps up his entire story from the very 1st episode flawlessly.

The baby turtles were very cute and the story was fascinating.

I think having Splinter stay in a Water tower and then an abandoned house before moving into the sewers was a genius idea, especially considering that he was a human not too long ago and no human would think first of living in the sewers.

What really made it work was seeing the bond between Splinter and the turtles develop and flow very naturally, you do feel that they are a family.

10/10, I would put this in my top 5 favourite episodes of this show.

And by the way, I can't believe we're already half way through the season. If this was the final episode, I would've been satisfied but seeing as how much I liked the first half of season 5, I have VERY high hopes for the second half.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 08-13-2017 at 08:42 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

The water tower is also from City at War in Mirage, (and also the 4kids version of it), where the Turtles stayed for a while when they were hiding from the Foot, it's nice to see another Mirage reference there.