The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #41
Sumac
Banned

Who could have thought that movie about Joker, of all characters, made by the director of the Hangover trilogy, of all directors, can potentially become an Oscar winner?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #42
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Who could have thought that movie about Joker, of all characters, made by the director of the Hangover trilogy, of all directors, can potentially become an Oscar winner?
I did. I knew it. Called it from the start.

No, just kidding. I did have faith in the film, like many others, once they cast Joaquin Phoenix, but even then I would have never guessed it could be within reach of an Oscar. I'm so delighted that we are getting this film, because it's right up my alley. I'm just as excited to see if/how it can shake up the comic book film industry.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

It's fascinating to read some of these negative reviews. Many of them are quite positive when it comes to the technical aspects of the film, creative choices, and well, pretty much everything else that makes up the film, aside from the fact that it could potentially be dangerous.

I don't care what this films message is at this point, I'm just glad it can exist despite all the finger-pointers out there who want something to get upset about. It seems to me that we are heading towards a time of major censorship.

To me, this is no different than the discussion about violent video games or Heavy metal.

Anyways, here's another "negative" and a generally positive review...

https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/09/10/joker-review/

Quote:
A movie with the message this one hammers home again and again... feels too volatile, and frankly too scary, to separate from the very real violence committed by young men like Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur Fleck in America almost every day.
http://splashreport.com/tiff-film-re...phoenix-joker/

Quote:
Joaquin Phoenix's phenomenal performance elevates this creepy, somber, and disturbing origin story that excels when it focuses on its titular character and stumbles when it tries to be a civics lesson
Man, I have to say I've read a ridiculous amount of these reviews lately, and what strikes me as a pet peeve, is how often these pundits/journalists cannibalize each others reviews.

I know some of that is unavoidable and worth the convenience, but it's like one reviewer starts with "This is EXACTLY the type of movie the joker would want..." and then you see five other outlets copy them. I have a hard time believing they all came up with that sentiment individually, but I could be wrong. It's like how every reviewer had to refer to "Ant-Man & the Wasp" as a "palette cleaner", which was essentially true, but c'mon.

Okay, do I sound cranky yet? Good day.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I don't care what this films message is at this point, I'm just glad it can exist despite all the finger-pointers out there who want something to get upset about. It seems to me that we are heading towards a time of major censorship.
Ironically, even talking about the movie's message can get you banned from this board, potentially.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #45
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Ironically, even talking about the movie's message can get you banned from this board, potentially.
I guess we should be safe, because I don't think any of us truly know what the films message even is.

To me, it feels like everyone on the internet has just been ready to pounce and refute whatever it is this movie will try to say - if anything at all - in the case that it might be against their beliefs. That's my feeling on a lot of the speculation. If I were to be dramatic, it's like people sense an unknown power in this film and are afraid that it could be used against them.

As for those who have actually seen it, according to reviews, it sounds like the message a select few seem to be afraid of is the idea that this film justifies violence in the hands of someone, namely a mentally ill white man, who been mistreated by society or "forgotten". That's what I've gathered from spoiler-free reviews.
But you also see many reviewers who feel the movie just lays things out and leaves it up to you to decide its message.

So it's a mixed bag.

I guess we will have to wait to see the film ourselves before we can discuss whether it has a pointed political message.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #46
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Regardless of the films merits or messages or what have you, nothing engenders a ton of debate and discussion like a DCEU movie.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #47
ZariusTwo
Overlord

A couple of clips have leaked on Reddit.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

This film is dark. This Joker does feel like he may inspire the wrong people. Those two clips were really something. Gamers rise up
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #49
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
A couple of clips have leaked on Reddit.
I watched 3-4 minutes of leaked footage. Couldn't help myself.

Watching the footage, it's almost surreal to see a comic book character in a film that feels so visceral. This Joker feels so real. As a longtime fan, it's intoxicating to watch. Can't wait for the whole thing.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #50
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Ridiculous.

If the content is there and film makers beat you over the head with it, then it's fair game for discussion on every level.

It's weird that cancel culture would exist on these boards, considering we are populated mostly with Gen X'ers rather than Millenials who are more likely to employ absolutist control tactics.

Although I'd hope to believe that if moderators are pulling the "ban" trigger here, then it is because some members are so obtuse that it can't help but lead to exaggerated conflict. As opposed to silencing opinions that dissent from their own.

On that note though, after coming back here to read and post for 13 years, I've seen a wide breadth of mentalities, but have never had any real or tangible problem. Basically ever. Soooo.....

-thumb's up to the TDrome-

Quote:
I watched 3-4 minutes of leaked footage. Couldn't help myself.

Watching the footage, it's almost surreal to see a comic book character in a film that feels so visceral. This Joker feels so real. As a longtime fan, it's intoxicating to watch. Can't wait for the whole thing.
This is cool. I honestly figured this movie was a lost cause, bad idea that had no hope. I've seen reviews that go both ways, but they always seem to be highly galvanizing. No one says "eh, it's fine". They are saying that it's a waste of a movie, or that it's an absolute work of filmaking art. Crazy. Like the Joker.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #51
AquaParade
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This is cool. I honestly figured this movie was a lost cause, bad idea that had no hope. I've seen reviews that go both ways, but they always seem to be highly galvanizing. No one says "eh, it's fine". They are saying that it's a waste of a movie, or that it's an absolute work of filmaking art. Crazy. Like the Joker.
It really was cool. In the small glimpse I got, he didn’t feel like any Joker I’ve known before, (but I could say the same for Heath Ledger, at the time). He just felt alarmingly real and uncomfortably deranged. There really wasn’t a loveable charisma to speak of. Perhaps that will develop as the film goes along - and again, I only watched 4 minutes - or perhaps not. He doesn’t feel like a dark force of nature, he just feels like a sick and dangerous man.

I can see how this may not work for some people, but I’m fascinated.

And you’re right, this film is definitely getting a response out of people one way or another. Very curious to see how high the box office numbers can get. I

Last edited by AquaParade; 09-10-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #52
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
To me, it feels like everyone on the internet has just been ready to pounce and refute whatever it is this movie will try to say - if anything at all - in the case that it might be against their beliefs. That's my feeling on a lot of the speculation. If I were to be dramatic, it's like people sense an unknown power in this film and are afraid that it could be used against them.

As for those who have actually seen it, according to reviews, it sounds like the message a select few seem to be afraid of is the idea that this film justifies violence in the hands of someone, namely a mentally ill white man, who been mistreated by society or "forgotten". That's what I've gathered from spoiler-free reviews.
But you also see many reviewers who feel the movie just lays things out and leaves it up to you to decide its message.
I find it incredibly ironic that some left afraid that this movie will inspire some right fanatics and at the same time lefty reviewers imply that Joker somehow might inspire people to fight against "oppression of the rich".
So, which is it?

Also, the fear of this movie, IMO, signifies that some people are afraid that some might see things differently, which for zealots or any person, who subscribes to authoritarian views, is fate worse than death, because, at this point they wouldn't have a choice, but to admit their failure.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #53
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This film is dark. This Joker does feel like he may inspire the wrong people. Those two clips were really something. Gamers rise up
What the heck do gamers have to do with the Joker?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #54
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I think this movie amidst game culture has been covered by YouTubers like the Quartering, who spends time talking about how the deeper end of the liberal pool has been discussing it on places like... ummm... Twitch?

From the stories it seems that ultra liberal video game streamers apparently get involved with a culture of purple haired weirdos that are
gossiping about who f'd who and who was harassed even though their f was consensual, but only after some bi-guy got angry at some girl who strips on YouTube while delivering video game news on nights when the moon is full and the meowing cat purrs at the dark, nebulous sky during bla bla bla bla....

Last edited by IMJ; 09-10-2019 at 11:52 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

4chan is also loving this movie and most view this version of Joker as a hero and someone to look up to. Joker is going to become the next Pepe le frog
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #56
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
It's a meme. And one of those jokes that people will repeat ad nauseam for a cheap laugh (see "Metal gear solid pachinko lol"). Be prepared for a lot of "we are a society lol" parodies of the film as well.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm still betting the third act is like an extended version of Bane telling the citizens of Gotham to "take your city back!" and all the rioting. With Joker instead of Bane.

So... maybe not the epitome of originality. But it's always fun to see Commodus playing weird characters.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #58
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I'm still betting the third act is like an extended version of Bane telling the citizens of Gotham to "take your city back!" and all the rioting. With Joker instead of Bane.

So... maybe not the epitome of originality. But it's always fun to see Commodus playing weird characters.
The trailers certainly make it appear that way.

I think the strengths of the film will lie in the acting, cinematography, score, etc. The plot being more of a basic frame or skeletal structure on which to highlight the other attributes of the film. I'll be pleased if the actual plot is really strong as well though.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

The movie is down to 77% now as more reviews are coming in. I can see it falling further as we get most of the reviews in over the next month:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019/

Kinda reminds me of how Aquaman was in the 80% range when the first reviews hit and then it slipped all the way down to the 60% range when all the reviews were finished.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #60
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The movie is down to 77% now as more reviews are coming in. I can see it falling further as we get most of the reviews in over the next month:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019/

Kinda reminds me of how Aquaman was in the 80% range when the first reviews hit and then it slipped all the way down to the 60% range when all the reviews were finished.
Except you didn't have people praising the film but giving it a rotten score in fear of animal cruelty.

Tags
eat the rich, incel joker, make gotham great again, yougetwhatyoudeserve