The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #41
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I look forward to the thread 10 years from now...

Its so long ago, I don't remember 20.
Yeah with all of us aging turtle fans hanging around the forum eventually the thread titles will start being "what's it like getting a prostate exam?" and "is AARP worth the cost?"
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #42
sdp
Megan Fox = April

As others have said:

20 makes you feel old since you're no longer a teenager but then you go on with life as usual until you're 25 and you realize those 5 years passed really quickly and now you're worried about being 30 soon and you don't enjoy those last 5 years and feel like you need to become more of an adult. That's how it's been for me at least.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As others have said:

20 makes you feel old since you're no longer a teenager but then you go on with life as usual until you're 25 and you realize those 5 years passed really quickly and now you're worried about being 30 soon and you don't enjoy those last 5 years and feel like you need to become more of an adult. That's how it's been for me at least.
Yeah hitting 18 was cool in a "wow I can legally buy alcohol and get into bars now. And I can vote and get a debit and a credit card as well!" sense. But it's still part of the teenage years. 20 is when you officially stop being one... but I didn't reallystop feeling like one until 23 or so.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

Once I hit 25 I knew I stopped looking forward to my birthday. I'm like...I don't want to get any older from this point on. Now I don't like my birthday as the years feel like they fly by.

I seriously can't believe 2017 is nearly over already. Anyone else feel like it just became 2017 like 3 months ago or something? Where did this year go?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #45
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yes, years go by really fast now. Just the way it goes.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #46
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Once I hit 25 I knew I stopped looking forward to my birthday. I'm like...I don't want to get any older from this point on. Now I don't like my birthday as the years feel like they fly by.

I seriously can't believe 2017 is nearly over already. Anyone else feel like it just became 2017 like 3 months ago or something? Where did this year go?
I haven't looked forward to my birthday since 18. That was the last one worth celebrating imo. Nowadays it's just another day to me.

Well 2010 already feels a bit distant to me tbh, but yeah 2013 not so much.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #47
DWC
Banned

Quote:

Years go by faster as you age because as a kid you have less frame of reference i.e. if you are 5 a year represents a fifth of your life, so it feels huge. By 30 it only represents one thirtieth of your life, so it goes by much quicker and feels like less time.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #48
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Also it could be that time seems to move slowly when younger because you have not much power or privilege. Takes forever until your old enough for this or old enough for that and the other thing. But then time moves fast when older because you can do most things and have little left to look forward to, maybe. At least generally speaking. To some it could also be that time moves fast because they have a lot of accomplishments still waiting, are really satisfied with life or busy all the time and just don't notice the days fly past.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #49
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Also it could be that time seems to move slowly when younger because you have not much power or privilege. Takes forever until your old enough for this or old enough for that and the other thing. But then time moves fast when older because you can do most things and have little left to look forward to, maybe. At least generally speaking. To some it could also be that time moves fast because they have a lot of accomplishments still waiting, are really satisfied with life or busy all the time and just don't notice the days fly past.
Also, once you get to a certain age, you don't change that much every year like you do when you're a kid. From 12 to 17 you change a lot physically and mentally. But from 21 to 26? Not that much.

And yes, when you're younger every milestone seems special. And when you're a kid, every travel, trip to the mall, trip to certain stores, to a new place, etc. just feels special. I loved going to the mall as a kid or to go to a new country with my family. Could hardly sleep the night prior to the trip due to the anticipation/excitement. As an adult, the world feels less new and I feel like there's barely anything new left to discover. And when I do discover something new, as cool as it might be, it doesn't have the same magic as discovering new things did when I was a kid. I notice this the most with video games and cartoon/anime. When I was a kid, every new game and console felt like it was the coolest thing ever. Nowadays I'm like "oh, cool game" and that's it.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #50
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I'd be worried to do that. You never know that teenage kids are stupid and probably have knives or other weapons and could attack you.

I would have just taken a different seat in the theater assuming there were seats left over. I never get involved with annoying strangers because you hear stories of people getting stabbed or beaten up because of stupid things like this.
Fuc*ing wuss.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #51
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
I'd be worried to do that. You never know that teenage kids are stupid and probably have knives or other weapons and could attack you.

I would have just taken a different seat in the theater assuming there were seats left over. I never get involved with annoying strangers because you hear stories of people getting stabbed or beaten up because of stupid things like this.
Sometimes you just have to ask yourself "What would Supergirl do?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I can vouch for this. I've gotten a lot more brazen & tolerate zero bullsh*t. I thought it was more to do with depression making me feel like I had nothing to lose, but perhaps its just that trademark crotchetyness that comes with a man's age.
Ehhh... Considering I'm constantly battling depression, maybe I'm not the best example to draw that conclusion to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I haven't looked forward to my birthday since 18. That was the last one worth celebrating imo. Nowadays it's just another day to me.
Yup! This was actually the first year I celebrated my birthday since about.. i'm gonna guess 9 years ago? I take down my Facebook for the 48 hours surrounding my birthday in hopes everyone misses it. But this year the girl I was seeing insisted.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #52
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, I don't think much about my birthdays or holidays really. When you're younger, it's easier to be excited about things like that, but when you get older, they become just another day and nothing more really. I do like it when my grandma visits though because I always want at least one more holiday with her since she's the only grandparent I have left now, and I didn't get to have one more holiday with Grandpa before he passed because he was too sick to come see us.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #53
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Yeah, turning 20 was a fairly big deal for me. But to be honest, most of my 20s was in many ways an extension of being a teenager(and a lot of my teenage years were an extension of childhood). Growing up, I was homeschooled and pretty sheltered so I was ignorant of many things. In my 20s I did have a job but mostly still lived at home. Definitely didn't feel like I needed to be careful with money and was mostly a loner. Never figured I'd end up married and largely had no desire to.

Now at 33, I've been happily married for 3 years. Living 2,000 miles away from where I grew up. Have a toddler son and another kid on the way. Physically though I'm pretty much the same at 20. Just a little bit greyer.

Anyway, 25 and then 30 was pretty big for me. 33(a third of a century) not so much. I figure that turning 40 will be a fairly big deal to me when the time comes.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #54
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

UPDATE: So, I'll be turning twenty in about two days.

It's ... honestly hard for me to get through. The prospect of aging is something that every living thing must go through.

It will be an extremely stressful, but nonetheless important, milestone. How should I honor it?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #55
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I so looked forward to turning 20 and finally being past the teens.

But now you get the accelerate the years and turn 30 before you know it. (And then the next before...well, I'm not sure how the hell that got so close already.) So, enjoy the 20s, they go so quick. And happy early b-day!

Though if I could go back, I think 26 or 27 would be my ideal age.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #56
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

" What's it like being twenty years old?"

Young and beautiful.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Early 20's are just "an older teenager." You don't feel much different than 17-19 IMO.

Once you hit 25 and beyond however you start to feel more like an adult.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #58
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ah so you are a fellow Sagitarrian. Mine is tomorrow. What sucks about it is that for me, 20 was literally 20 (21 after tomorrow) years ago!

I barely acknowledge my birthday anymore. Nobody else seems to beyond the occasional obligatory birthday wish. Mentioned it at work to a few co-workers today, but got little response back.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #59
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well in that case, happy slightly early birthday to you too, Duckie!
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #60
Prowler
Emperor

Speaking of zodiac... it's strange how most people know what their Zodiac sign is. I mean, it's all a bunch of pseudo-scientific hogwash. I've known I'm a Scorpio since like forever... but what does that even mean other than me being born in November? Whenever you read about the personality traits of each sign... they always have a lot of traits, some even quite different... so yeah no wonder a lot of people will find a couple that fit them.

So yeah, why are horoscopes even thing? And in East Asia, that's even applied to blood types. Ever wondered why the blood type of several anime and video game characters is disclosed even? For horoscope purposes. Often writers will give a blood type that "matches" the character's personality based on horoscopes.

Apparently some people truly believe in astrology. That is a bit scary, imo. Judging someone's character based on their astrological sign.

Tags
passage of time, time cucks, timelords ponder, whats it like being a sjw