The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #41
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Creepy little Wyrm story... The guy's awesome, though! I have to say I didn't much care for the way Mikey's face and expressions were drawn, he almost looked straight out of TMNT Adventures with that derpy look on his face (the issue that introduced Jagwar comes to mind as particularly bad), nor the almost immediate way the policewoman accepted his existence and presence in the sewers. She's investigating a kidnapping, just so happens to run into a weird humanoid turtle at the crime scene, and thinks nothing of it? Huh. Might wanna hold back on making her a detective after all.
I interpreted that as Officer Lin having heard the rumors of mutant sightings by other police officers and private citizens (since the Turtles and other mutants have been roaming around NYC for quite a while now and they haven't always been too low-key), and she was just trying to play it cool and not freak out in front of Mikey since he is so obviously laid-back and not a threat to her.

I mean, he saves her life within the first few moments of them encountering each other, it'd be pretty ungrateful for her to be all like "Get away from me, you monster!"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I interpreted that as Officer Lin having heard the rumors of mutant sightings by other police officers and private citizens (since the Turtles and other mutants have been roaming around NYC for quite a while now and they haven't always been too low-key), and she was just trying to play it cool and not freak out in front of Mikey since he is so obviously laid-back and not a threat to her.

I mean, he saves her life within the first few moments of them encountering each other, it'd be pretty ungrateful for her to be all like "Get away from me, you monster!"
Same here. With a little thought, the problem easily goes away. It's still a little unlikely given that she is investigating a disappearance, but not a dealbreaker.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #43
ChosenOne
Banned

It didn't bother me that much compared to, say, some of Mikey's expressions, but it definitely takes you out of the story for a bit there. Can't imagine the underworld of mutants and ninjas in NYC will stay secret for much longer, at this rate.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #44
Nick Pitarra
Mouser

Hey guys! I really appreciate the discussion about TMNT Universe issue 6... Regarding the Easter eggs...I'm going to post a contest for who can find the most of them ...I did a master list for myself. The contest will be the top 5 people who find the most Easter Eggs get a free TMNt head sketch and signed issue of tmnt adventures 6 (sub variant)...if you are the first one to get them all...(this will be hard...bc two a really tough)... I'll do a full figure commission. There are two categories for the Easter eggs.... Tmnt related ...and we'll call the other one none TMnT /pop culture. I'm going to post about it on my Facebook and make it public and post the link back here. Thanks again for the kind words comments and critiques.

Also great catch on the flat worm design element thing... I noticed when looking at the toy that the original designer had those flat wyrms in mind...the wavy lips....the googley eyes.....even wyrms crazy color is reflected in more exotic flatworms.....so with the design it seemed fitting to stick close to it...echoing the toy....and use the flat worms themselves to build WYRM. I tried to keep the eyes narrow...the objects for the eyes can be interchanged bc it's just all of the worms building themselves up into one big worm after all....I definitely started drawing the issue with the last page in mind....me and John Lees talked about slowly zooming in on one little flatworm...and hopefully have him look somewhat like WYRM itself. Anyway...I'll post about that contest in this thread later. Take care!
Nick Pitarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #45
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pitarra View Post
Hey guys! I really appreciate the discussion about TMNT Universe issue 6... Regarding the Easter eggs...I'm going to post a contest for who can find the most of them ...I did a master list for myself. The contest will be the top 5 people who find the most Easter Eggs get a free TMNt head sketch and signed issue of tmnt adventures 6 (sub variant)...if you are the first one to get them all...(this will be hard...bc two a really tough)... I'll do a full figure commission. There are two categories for the Easter eggs.... Tmnt related ...and we'll call the other one none TMnT /pop culture. I'm going to post about it on my Facebook and make it public and post the link back here. Thanks again for the kind words comments and critiques.

Also great catch on the flat worm design element thing... I noticed when looking at the toy that the original designer had those flat wyrms in mind...the wavy lips....the googley eyes.....even wyrms crazy color is reflected in more exotic flatworms.....so with the design it seemed fitting to stick close to it...echoing the toy....and use the flat worms themselves to build WYRM. I tried to keep the eyes narrow...the objects for the eyes can be interchanged bc it's just all of the worms building themselves up into one big worm after all....I definitely started drawing the issue with the last page in mind....me and John Lees talked about slowly zooming in on one little flatworm...and hopefully have him look somewhat like WYRM itself. Anyway...I'll post about that contest in this thread later. Take care!
Sounds awesome!

So when did you first come up with the idea of Wyrm being a collective of flatworms? Would love to know your thought processes on that!

Also, without asking for spoilers, do you have another TMNT Universe gig yet?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #46
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Sounds awesome!

So when did you first come up with the idea of Wyrm being a collective of flatworms? Would love to know your thought processes on that!
I couldn't help but think throughout the issue that the "Worms of Madness" story line from Mirage was a big inspiration.
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 AM   #47
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

Not like there isn't precedence....
Old 01-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #48
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Shout out to my older bro who bought my copy in my stead. Dear lord reminds me of some the Mirage short stories definitely creepy. Should've released this around Halloween. Nice little thing for my second favorite Turtle, next is my first all in all loving Universe.

I like Jennika is getting some development not much to say yet.

SIDE NOTE: Lin isn't very tall if Mikey is taller than her (and the IDW Turtles aren't very tall) Lady must quite the cop because she is far from imposing.

Last edited by Technogeek29; 01-23-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #49
Nick Pitarra
Mouser

Here's the link to the TMNT Universe issue 6 easter egg contest...

https://www.facebook.com/nick.pitarr...54262386136398
Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #50
Nick Pitarra
Mouser

Also... John Less and I did a fun interview over on the Turtle Power Podcast talking in depth about the story process/design...

Interview starts 30 minutes in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwSkZTXbNc
Old 01-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #51
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pitarra View Post
Also... John Less and I did a fun interview over on the Turtle Power Podcast talking in depth about the story process/design...

Interview starts 30 minutes in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwSkZTXbNc
Hey, I love knowing that you guys had a legitimate way for Wyrm to obtain a mallet, not just "because toy!" or "because cool!" I didn't put that together with the carnival setting...

Question: did the setting of "The Killing Joke" influence the carnival stuff at all in this issue? Because it completely reminded me of Joker taking Gordon through the hall of mirrors and the rest of that crazy stuff. (Fortunately, Wyrm's carnival was sans BDSM midgets.)
Old 01-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #52
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I know I'm a week late to the party on this one, but I just got back from a lot of travelling!

Here's my full summary and review of TMNT Universe #6 at TMNT Entity.

Dug the hell out of this issue.

Pitarra and Lees did an excellent job defining their version of Wyrm, mining ideas from the toy and Archie comics, but excluding the elements that made Wyrm feel like a ripoff of Bloodsucker.

The back-up was a little eh, but it's a serial that's just getting started so I won't judge it too harshly. Jennika could use some personality, though. Hope this does it for her.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #53
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I loved this issue! Great way to use Wyrm for the story I thought the writing of Michelangelo was consistent and personable. His use of humor felt more natural than forced and ditsy so that was much appreciated. Good stuff all around.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #54
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

I typically don't like "side" stories, but this was really cool. I can't help but think that Wyrm is an amalgamation of 3 different old characters. It felt like Lees and Pitarra combined the Classic character of Wyrm, with Worm Shredder from Mirage, and Nano from the 4Kids show. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like a big ball of solid homages.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #55
funatic
Mad Scientist

Hey Nick was the list of easter eggs ever posted?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #56
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Spoiler:
Easter eggs in Panda Khan, Sandstorm, and Scratch posters and the Gone With The Wind movie poster as well as the Zoltar fortune teller machine from Big. Also, was the red balloon a reference to Pennywise?

I didn't like the eyes as as dead goldfish and rubber duck instead of the googly bulging eyes he/it known for.

The story itself was well done. Another cop friend? A one-off character?

A different type of mutation melding together hundreds of worms instead of making one humanoid. I wonder why it reacted differently. Will thst beva future plot point?
Spoiler:
Just read the issue tonight.

I also noticed the toy version of Wyrm painted on the wall in the background next to the characters you already listed off. Also mid/lower page to the right is Pizza Face I think.

I just started reading TMNT Universe tonight with issues 4,5,6. I like it and ordered 7,8. Still need to find 1,2,3. Really enjoyed 5 too but 4 was take it or leave it. Perhaps because I didn't read 1-3 yet.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote