The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #21
snake
Disgusting

Why do they even make these animated movies if they donít bother building a consistant universe or do straight up comic adaptations? Whatís the point of these loosely connected semi-one off things? Thereís no JLU type series to tie everything together. Itís weird.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Why do they even make these animated movies if they donít bother building a consistant universe or do straight up comic adaptations? Whatís the point of these loosely connected semi-one off things? Thereís no JLU type series to tie everything together. Itís weird.
Weird as fvck, yep.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #23
sdp
Winsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
The official reasoning when the first one came out in 2006 or so was that it was not to be affected by continuity and that they were based on the comics. but many of the original run ones could've been in continuity even if not explicitly said, obviously not all the movies fit but a good chunk did. After they did the Nu52 makeover of the DCU films they were in more explicit continuity but I think they've done away with that now, I'm not sure since I haven't really watched any of the post Nu52 films.

Dommage Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

The forced New-52 elements have really hurt some of their recent films. And yet some of them like Killing Joke are still in their own singular continuity. So I'm not sure why stuff like Hush, or Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen needs to be forced into a place where it doesn't fit.

Just do each one however it would best serve the story. If they were all supposed to be in the same continuity to start with, it would obviously be different, but the entire point was to adapt various stories that would never be possible to adapt in a cartoon show or otherwise, just to give some of these iconic stories a broader reach. It's so inconsistent, and the connective tissue feels so forced, it doesn't really help a story like "Death of Superman" to have awkward Lois/Wonder Woman scenes, and so on.

I'm a huge fan of continuity but these things weren't designed for that, they just decided to arbitrarily make it that way after they'd already done a bunch of them. I mean is "Public Enemies" in continuity with "Death/Reign"? Or "Justice League: War"? I doubt it. And I'd prefer not to have to try and figure out where these things "fit", either. They're altogether more enjoyable as stand-alone works.

If they were all gonna be in the same "universe", that should have been the way it was executed from the beginning. Now it's just a clusterf*ck.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 AM   #25
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I turned Death of Superman off after five minutes, mostly based on how ugly it looked. I probably would have finished it if it looked more like 90s Superman, and less like whatever the hell they've been doing over the last ten years.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

I definitely wasn't in love with the art style. Do these people understand the geometry of the human skull? That's it's "Wide up top and narrow at the bottom", NOT the other way around? WHY is Superman's head "smooshed" like that? Terrible. I hate the whole "stylization" trend in animation. Draw people the way people look, for f*ck's sake. Any idiot can draw things "incorrectly", which I guess is why everyone is an "artist", nowadays. Understanding and execution of proper form and proportion takes skill and talent. People used to have to go to school for this stuff. Now it's all, "LOOK, I drew googly eyes on a rectangle and gave it a Spaghetti-O mouth. That's a Human Face! PAY ME FOR THIS!"

As a movie, though, "Death..." actually works very well. It condenses too much of the story and adds in a bunch of needless New 52 stuff, but it's as good as it can ever possibly be done in 88 minutes, mediocre art style aside. "Reign" was very underwhelming and I didn't like it as much as I wanted to after thinking the first part was pretty good. They just went too far off the rails from the comic and became completely its own thing, and not a single change made anything better so they really needn't have bothered.

Good set-up and execution with Part I, but Part II was a fumble. Not terrible but not at all what it should have been.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:03 AM   #27
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

It's still haunting my Netflix cue so I may get bored enough to finish it one day.

The heads do look weird, and the torsos are way too long. I think they want to make the heroes look yoked, so they draw the arms too low, then draw the waist in relation to where the elbows fall, which is now in the wrong place. Their proportions also seem to change a lot depending on the angle and no doubt how far behind schedule the production is at any given time.

I couldn't do any better to be fair, but I do find the munted art style distracting.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

You have definitely given this a lot of observation and thought, and I applaud you for it.

Mostly, people ask me specifically what's so "wrong" with it, and all I can come up with is, "Just LOOK at it, fer chrissakes." But yeah, what you said pretty much hits it.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #29
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

sneak peak of the movie

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemati...sh_sneak_peek/

it looks great

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Spoilers for the adaptation of Batman:Hush.

https://www.cbr.com/batman-hush-movie-twist-riddler/

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #31
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It better not have bat sex again or any other bs filler.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #32
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
It better not have bat sex again or any other bs filler.
No but
Spoiler:
Hush is the Riddler in disguise.

And the twist is that
Spoiler:
he figured out Batman's identity by curing his brain tumor in a Lazarus pit.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #33
Shark_Blade
Emperor

At least that’s a decent twist. I never fancy Tommy, so if Riddler gets more screen time then that’s just swell.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #34
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I'm neutral on this. Its not War of Jokes and Riddles out of character twist that hurts the core character instead of increasing his threat. Makes sense,but downplays Tommy at the same time.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #35
ABrown
Mad Scientist

This movie was alright. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. You'll have to forgive me that I'm not familiar with the source material. I think what I liked most about the movie was this version of Catwoman. I was disappointed that the villain ended up being Riddler, as I'm not the biggest Riddler fan. In fact, as the movie was wrapping up, I was have a tough time believing that the entire thing didn't just take place in Bruce's head when he had the injury earlier in the movie.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #36
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
This movie was alright. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. You'll have to forgive me that I'm not familiar with the source material. I think what I liked most about the movie was this version of Catwoman. I was disappointed that the villain ended up being Riddler, as I'm not the biggest Riddler fan. In fact, as the movie was wrapping up, I was have a tough time believing that the entire thing didn't just take place in Bruce's head when he had the injury earlier in the movie.
While I like putting The Riddler on a high profile level it was erasing Hush aka Tommy Elliott from really existing and Harvey Dent's role was absent. We gained a solid Riddler in exchange for two other roles. I would trade putting my favorite Nat Rouge down a peg for that.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
While I like putting The Riddler on a high profile level it was erasing Hush aka Tommy Elliott from really existing and Harvey Dent's role was absent. We gained a solid Riddler in exchange for two other roles. I would trade putting my favorite Nat Rouge down a peg for that.
I feel like it takes Riddler DOWN a peg. Dude never needed to hide behind false identities before. Riddler's not supposed to be a lightweight or pansy, some schmuck who is afraid to be around other rogues. He's BETTER than them, and he knows it. He's a genius, and doesn't need to get his hands dirty.

This whole "the Arkham sleepover gang won't respect me so I'll pretend to be somebody COOL" shtick is complete bull$hit.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #38
sdp
Winsider

Hush being riddler is lame, it should be a new villain not one we already know of, there's no fun in that. Hell I personally still hate DC didn't make Jason Todd Hush, that would've been a much cooler persona than Red Hood.

Dommage Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #39
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Hush being riddler is lame, it should be a new villain not one we already know of, there's no fun in that. Hell I personally still hate DC didn't make Jason Todd Hush, that would've been a much cooler persona than Red Hood.
Well in the source material Hush is actually Thomas Elliot, Bruce's childhood friend. I am confused and curious why they decided to my the Riddler Hush....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 AM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Well in the source material Hush is actually Thomas Elliot, Bruce's childhood friend. I am confused and curious why they decided to my the Riddler Hush....
My guess is to show that it is different from the source material instead of a straight up adaptation. Also, and perhaps more importantly its stuck in a continuity opposed to The Dark Knight Returns which was much more faithful due to it not having to stick to a continuity. The New 52 two continuity adaptations a year brought this one down.