The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #21
Ninjinister
無問題

Yeah, I ended up buying two domains one day on a whim, part of a joke at work. It took no time flat and didn't hurt my wallet. Nobody's going to pay for a geocities.com/ whatever account
Old 07-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #22
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Yeah, I ended up buying two domains one day on a whim, part of a joke at work. It took no time flat and didn't hurt my wallet. Nobody's going to pay for a geocities.com/ whatever account
I just purchased mutantooze.org and will offer subdomains to anyone who wants to move their old fansite over from geocities or any other "ad supported" entity. I can setup whatever subdomain name you want for example thetechnodrome.mutantooze.org or tmntfan.mutantooze.org...

Just let me know and I will be happy to share my server space and bandwidth with a fellow TMNT fan...

-mm
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #23
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Really? That's cool.

And where wanting to pay for a geocities account is concerned, I definitely AGREE with you. I know that I certainly wouldn't! I can BARELY tolerate Yahoo, as it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimobile View Post
I just purchased mutantooze.org and will offer subdomains to anyone who wants to move their old fansite over from geocities or any other "ad supported" entity. I can setup whatever subdomain name you want for example thetechnodrome.mutantooze.org or tmntfan.mutantooze.org...

Just let me know and I will be happy to share my server space and bandwidth with a fellow TMNT fan...

-mm
Heh, THAT's cool to know, and I think that I'LL check this out. I don't have a Geocities site of ANY kind (got what's basically a PRACTICE site over at Webs.com, but that's all), but I'd like to have one for my stuff, and I positively HATE ads on websites!

And THIS a bit OT, but.......

YOU'RE from Missouri, too? Cool! So am I!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #24
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf89 View Post
Heh, THAT's cool to know, and I think that I'LL check this out. I don't have a Geocities site of ANY kind (got what's basically a PRACTICE site over at Webs.com, but that's all), but I'd like to have one for my stuff, and I positively HATE ads on websites!

And THIS a bit OT, but.......

YOU'RE from Missouri, too? Cool! So am I!
Just PM me if you need some help with hosting. Never used webs.com, I had a geocities once but didn't like that it only allowed like 50mbs or whatnot...
Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #25
Whitewolf89

Quote:
Just PM me if you need some help with hosting. Never used webs.com, I had a geocities once but didn't like that it only allowed like 50mbs or whatnot...
Thankies, I will....er, ONCE I get my act together. I'm STILL pretty muc a novice at the "building a website" thing, as yet. PLUS which, I want to get my NEW comp and Internet set up an running BEFORE I go jumping into something like this. Gotta have my art and gfic; etc.; ready, ya know?

As to Webs.com, from what I'V heard, it's pretty easy to use, once you get the hang of it. Like I said, Buslady has her Raph Shrine site with them, and my oldest niece and her hubby have one that's a tribute to his grandparents.

Really?! That's ALL the space that you got with Geocities?! Sheesh! Why MESS with them, then??

Oh, one MORE thing, where the SITE is concerned, can I add a fandom OTHER than TMNT? I'm still heavily into the Biker Mice From Mars and the SWAT Kats, with a side of Elfquest thrown in for flavor!

Last edited by Whitewolf89; 08-01-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Oh, one MORE thing, where the SITE is concerned, can I add a fandom OTHER than TMNT? I'm still heavily into the Biker Mice From Mars and the SWAT Kats, with a side of Elfquest thrown in for flavor!
Yeah I don't care what you put on your site as long as its nothing illegal.

-mm
Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
Whitewolf89

Quote:
Yeah I don't care what you put on your site as long as its nothing illegal.

-mm
Cool.

And with me, you absolutely DON'T have to worry about illegal stuff. I'm a Christian, and totally honest and honorable.

But, like I said earlier, it'll BE a liitle bit before I can, so I'll just drop you a line when I AM finally ready, okay? Cool.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #28
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
But, like I said earlier, it'll BE a liitle bit before I can, so I'll just drop you a line when I AM finally ready, okay? Cool.
Sounds good to me.

Cheers!

-mm
Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #29
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

I never used them cuz I didn't like the ads they had. Same reason I ditched my old Fortunecity site. But still it sucks they are closing it down since I do remember so many ppl using them for fansites. Though I've noticed that many of the old TMNT fansites are already down anyway.

What I did was searched out a free webserver thru this site: http://www.free-webhosts.com/ or here: http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-web-hosts.php It tells you which servers have what. I use Atspace.com for my several sites and mostly don't have any issues. Went down temporarily a couple of times but decent amount of space, no forced ads, and FTP access.

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #30
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Rest in Peace to all the beloved TMNT geocities fansites... today was the last day....

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

Again, I would like to extend a helping hand to anyone who lost their TMNT fansite. Just let me know...

-mm
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #31
Whitewolf89

Quote:
Rest in Peace to all the beloved TMNT geocities fansites... today was the last day....

http://geocities.yahoo.com/
Yeah, I know. I just hope that EVERYONE who had TMNT fansites (or ANY kind of fansites) there managed to find free hosts for them.

What REALLY riles ME about Yahell (Yahoo, excuse me) is that NOW they expect people to PAY for their webhosting service (which, from what I can see, STILL has the Geocities name, just with Plus hooked onto it). Which is PROBABLY why I detest Yahoo as much as I do, and WHY, when I finally decide TO do/get my OWN website for my stuff, I'll probably hunt up a good free one with decent bandwidth, or whatever.

Quote:
Again, I would like to extend a helping hand to anyone who lost their TMNT fansite. Just let me know...

-mm
I might take you up on that offer, bro. Er, ONCE I get my Internet back at home, that is, and everything calms down so I can halfway think and plan.

One question from me on this, though: Is your service/site thing hard to use/understand? I'm a bit of a ninniy when it come to this kinda thing. (Which is probably WHY I have a test-site of sorts over at Webs.com at the moment.)

Last edited by Whitewolf89; 10-27-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #32
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
One question from me on this, though: Is your service/site thing hard to use/understand? I'm a bit of a ninniy when it come to this kinda thing. (Which is probably WHY I have a test-site of sorts over at Webs.com at the moment.)
I don't have a web editor or anything like that... You would have to find your own way to design your page (dreamweaver, webdwarf, nvu) and then upload via FTP... When you get down to brass tacks just hit me up and I can help you out if you need it...

-mm
Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #33
Whitewolf89

Quote:
I don't have a web editor or anything like that... You would have to find your own way to design your page (dreamweaver, webdwarf, nvu) and then upload via FTP... When you get down to brass tacks just hit me up and I can help you out if you need it...

-mm
Oh, okay. Thanks for the info, bro.

And I'm kinda glad NOW that I GOT that site over at Webs.com. It'll help me get the hang OF making a website (I hope), and then, ONCE I have (or well enough to get BY, that is), I'll give you a shout.

I DON'T have Dreamweaver, or ANY of the OTHERS that you suggested, but hopefully, I can sooner, or later.

OR, hopefully, I can find a good FREE one online somewhere. (Yeah, don't I WISH!!!)
Old 10-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
I DON'T have Dreamweaver, or ANY of the OTHERS that you suggested, but hopefully, I can sooner, or later.

OR, hopefully, I can find a good FREE one online somewhere. (Yeah, don't I WISH!!!)
WebDwarf and NVU are completely free programs. Give them a try whenever you get a chance. Also Microsoft's SharePoint designer is also free now as well. It used to be called Frontpage. You can build sites with that too...

-mm

Last edited by Master Splinter; 10-31-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added links...
Master Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #35
saiyan_monkey
Hench Mutant

1 thing I've learnt with my libary is having everything on cd's as back ups. At the start of the year I lost 4 months of work. I lost about 1000 card scans when this happened and was gutted. Lucky I had most of it already saved. Now when I post collections they all go on cd's as soon as I've finished.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #36
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Another free editor is KompoZer, which picked up where Nvu left off when it was discontinued. I don't use WYSIWYG editors, so I haven't tried it (or any of the others), but it might be worth a try.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #37
Whitewolf89

Thankes, guys. I'll try those just as SOON as I get me comp hooked up to the Internet. (Which will HOPEFULLY be sometime this next week...PROVIDED we don't have any unexpected expenses again like we did LAST month.)

(Yeah, don't I wish!)
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #38
Keroscene
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Quick! Someone save TMNT Dissected!
Too late! Well, it is and it isn't.

The bad news is I kind of decided to let Dissected fall by the wayside. I hadn't updated in ages and I'd lost enthusiasm for a while, because I didn't have internet access at home (and therefore, no way of tracking down episodes for the purposes of review).

The good news is, Turtles Forever (and my new super-fast broadband connection) changed my mind. I've managed to recover most of the old files from archive.org and my old laptop, although changing all the hyperlinks is gonna be a pain... my main problem at the moment is finding somewhere to put it.

I don't really have much knowledge of free web-hosting services (I chose geocities in the first place coz it was well known and made Dissected using Microsoft Word). I'm pretty low tech as far as this stuff goes. Does anyone know of an equivalent that would be suitable for Dissected. I figured I'd ask here rather than elsewhere since you lot are (hopefully) the ones who would read it...
Keroscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #39
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroscene View Post
Too late! Well, it is and it isn't.

The bad news is I kind of decided to let Dissected fall by the wayside. I hadn't updated in ages and I'd lost enthusiasm for a while, because I didn't have internet access at home (and therefore, no way of tracking down episodes for the purposes of review).

The good news is, Turtles Forever (and my new super-fast broadband connection) changed my mind. I've managed to recover most of the old files from archive.org and my old laptop, although changing all the hyperlinks is gonna be a pain... my main problem at the moment is finding somewhere to put it.

I don't really have much knowledge of free web-hosting services (I chose geocities in the first place coz it was well known and made Dissected using Microsoft Word). I'm pretty low tech as far as this stuff goes. Does anyone know of an equivalent that would be suitable for Dissected. I figured I'd ask here rather than elsewhere since you lot are (hopefully) the ones who would read it...
I'm happy to hear you are back on the Turtle bandwagon! There are a few free web-hosting services that have been suggested in previous posts. Maybe you ought to start there.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #40
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Hey, I remember that site!

You might even want to PM Krang about it. I know he's hosted some people's fansites....
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote