The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,974
Your unpopular video game opinions

This section seems to be missing a thread like this, so here goes.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Mario Kart: Mario Kart 64 was a blast back in the day; and I found Super Circuit frustrating but yet engaging enough. Double Dash was pretty fun when it came out, but that was when my interest in the series slowly began declining. It became a bit too gimmicky, I guess.

The NES CastleVania trilogy isn't that great: OK, I know it's a classic, but the controls are so stiff and the games can be relentlessly brutal and frustrating. Why does Simon Belmont even jump like that, anyway?

Give me Super Castlevania IV ANY DAY.

Wind Waker is overrated: Charming graphics, great atmosphere, good setting and good controls... but I didn't have much fun with the game compared to other Zeldas. Sailing can be frustrating as can havign to change the wind direction often. Also, the game is way too easy. Ocarina of Time wasn't the hardest game of all time either, but I always die a couple of times in each OoT playthrough and there is a sense of tension in that game which there isn't in WW for the most part. I never even got to see its game over screen. Also, the triforce quest is a chore and makes it feel like they couldn't finish the game before the deadline. Wind Waker peaks in the Tower of Gods with the battle against Gohdan, imo.

The Mega Man series isn't that hard: I've seen many people online giving the MM series as a prime example of a hard as hell series. Challenging games, sure, but hardly impossible. I'm hardly the most skilled gamer in the world, but I've been able to beat a handful of Mega Man games in my life. Something I can't say for Battletoads, NES TMNT, Adventure of Link, CastleVania III or the NES Ninja Gaiden games.

I couldn't care less about games like Fortnite, Warframe, League of Legends, Dota 2, Hearthstone, Overwatch, etc.: I'm just not interested. Maybe I'm missing out, but I'd rather play something else and work through my backlog.

I'm not a big fan of playing online overall: There's a few exceptions, but generally I stick to single player modes. A game without a good single player mode isn't worth my money. Also, I don't like the lag, the poor peer-to-peer connections at times and the possibility of the internet going down in the middle of a game or an opponent suddenly ragequitting when they're about to lose.

I'm not into FPS games: Maybe because I didn't grow up as a PC gamer or playing games like CoD, but I just can't get into that genre. I also have difficulty aiming properly.
Thing is, on paper, games where you shoot people and things sound very interesting... but they I played them and nah. Just not my thing. Maybe this sounds like the usual "you don't like them because you just suck at them" excuse, but if people who dislike fighting games can use this excuse for that genre, then I can use it for FPS games as well. Deal with it.

Ocarina f Time's Water Temple isn't really that bad: Especially on the 3DS version, where it's a lot smoother without you needing to pause the game constantly to switch between boots. I find Inside Lord Jabu-Jabu WAY worse. Literally nothing about that dungeon is appealing. Frustrating enemies, frustrating mini-boss, frustrating boss, bad music, HORRIBLE LOOKING design and layout, etc. At least the Water Temple has very nice music, is visually appealing and has the best mini-boss battle in the game. What does Lard Jabu-Jabu even have to offer?!

Turtles in Time is a bit overrated: Ever since Screwattack rated it number 1 in their top 10 best beat 'em ups ever in 2006-2007, I've seen people parroting this same opinion online. Look, TiT is definitely a very fun game and a pretty good adaptation of the TMNT FW series into a videogame, but it's basically a Final Fight clone with the Turtles instead, as Andrew often says. Final Fight and Streets of Rage are better games overall. And they don't take only about 20 minutes to beat.
I consider the 1989 TMNT Arcade game better than TiT, tbh.

Not every single water level is bad: There's Hydrocity Zone from Sonic 3 and Sonic Mania... and that's the only one I can think of. But that's one level, so they're not all bad!

Final Fantasy's X cast of characters isn't that bad: Yes, Tidus and Yuna are lame, but FFX has Auron. That alone prevents it from being the game with the worst cast of main characters ever. Lulu is also nice.

I can't stand Pikachu: The useless yellow mouse couldn't even evolve in Yellow. Raichu is a much better Pokémon. And I don't like Pkachu in Smash either.

Charmander is my least favourite of the 3 1st gen starters: He's slow as hell to level up and when Charmaleon evolves to Charizard he becomes a Flying type in addition to being a Fire type. That adds another weakness for him. Meanwhile, Blastoise is an absolute unit and a very well-rounded pokémon. Plus, he can learn ice attacks! And Bulbasaur is easy to raise, has status changing attacks like poison and sleep and Venusaur has a very high special stat. Plus, Bulba was my first ever Pokémon, so I'll always have a soft spot for him.

Mobile games suck: They're all pay-to-win in the end and they're nowhere near as good as the best console and PC games out there.

That's all for now, but I'll add more later if others come to my mind.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The NES CastleVania trilogy isn't that great: OK, I know it's a classic, but the controls are so stiff and the games can be relentlessly brutal and frustrating. Why does Simon Belmont even jump like that, anyway?
I've read production of those games was still much unifinished when they were released.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Mr Salk
Thug
 
Mr Salk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 69
Battlelands hurts my thumbs and can be annoying to aim, but I like it better than Fortnight.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 8,753
Turbo Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
Battlelands hurts my thumbs and can be annoying to aim, but I like it better than Fortnight.
I never made it beyond the Turbo Tunnel.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 758
FF8 and FF2 are the greatest FFs ever made. Yes even better than overrated 7. Why did 7 get the remake and not the better 8?

Even the bad mainstream Pokémon games like BW1 are fun. Why the hate?

Shining Force is the best RPG ever made. It was a game made in the heavens and brought to the Mortal Realm.

Dead or Alive's best games all involve playing Beach Volley Ball. I really think Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat needs to follow suit.

Shining Resonance was a great game.

Street Fighter 1 is a fun game. Joe was best fighter. Ok baby

Nes Turtles 1 is overrated in regards to how hard it is vs other NES games. Once you get to Shredder, the games pretty much won. And knowing enemy patterns to reach him is not that hard to understand.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
mikey0
Mad Scientist
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,056
I’ve heard my cousin say that Super Mario Bros. 2 was better than Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and Super Mario 64.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
turtle1237
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I’ve heard my cousin say that Super Mario Bros. 2 was better than Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and Super Mario 64.
That depends, does he mean the REAL Super Mario 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjYYFOGE3k
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 16,633
* All the Konami TMNT games beginning with TMNT II are all the same dumb button mashing game.

* Street Fighter having never introduced 3D fighting in 30 years is dumb and backwards. It's like the same game, over and over again. Mortal Kombat having switched to 3D fighting only to revert back to 2D fighting is even dumber.

* The direction the Final Fantasy series went in beginning with VII has been its own undoing. They fell too much in love with being like movies so much that now it takes 10 years to make a new one... and then it sucks, anyway. Bring back the overworld map and airships and free exploration.

* Electronic Arts is the Devil incarnate. They absorbed, killed, and buried so many amazing properties, it's not even funny. F*** them. F*** them, with emphasis.

* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night wasn't revolutionary. It's the same game as Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Just... better. Also, "Castlevania: Bloodlines" is the most fun Castlevania game.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-19-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

* Electronic Arts is the Devil incarnate. They absorbed, killed, and buried so many amazing properties, it's not even funny. F*** them. F*** them, with emphasis.
Nowhere on God's green Earf is that an unpopular opinion.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #10
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,332
Super Mario World is overrated. To me it seems harder then the NES ones (not counting SMB2 or Doki Panic) unless you just warp straight to Bowser’s backdoor as soon as possible. Surprisingly his castle is not even challenging through the main entrance as long as you pick the right doors.

Sonic 06 is NOT broken/unplayable. Unnecessary loading is the biggest issue.

In fairness to mobile games they’re not meant to compete with console. They’re obviously made to play during specific times or if you’re bored. Depends on the game. I would never use real money on them.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
Whatswiththeheadbands?
Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,799
ET for the Atari 2600 is in no way 'the worst game ever made'. Considering it was made by 1 guy on a system that was known for being hard to program games for, and all in just 5 and a half weeks, the game is actually better than it had any right to be

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is the best 'Classicvania'. I love all the others, but Rondo of Blood I find is just better tbh. And Dracula X wasn't a bad version, it just wasn't anywhere near as good as R.O.B
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Bad ass isn't shooting someone with a gun; it's attacking them with gardening tools, and winning.
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
The Deadman
Foot Elite
 
The Deadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,812
The Wii U isn't THAT bad of a console. There's some decent games on there that are worth checking out.
__________________

Last Movie Watched: Shazam! (2019).
Last TV Show Watched: Power Rangers Zeo (S1:E16).
Last Video Game Played: TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (SNES).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #13
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,116
Thank you, Prowler, for also holding the opinion that Jabu Jabu is a million times worse than the Water Temple.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
* All the Konami TMNT games beginning with TMNT II are all the same dumb button mashing game.

* Street Fighter having never introduced 3D fighting in 30 years is dumb and backwards. It's like the same game, over and over again. Mortal Kombat having switched to 3D fighting only to revert back to 2D fighting is even dumber.

* The direction the Final Fantasy series went in beginning with VII has been its own undoing. They fell too much in love with being like movies so much that now it takes 10 years to make a new one... and then it sucks, anyway. Bring back the overworld map and airships and free exploration.

* Electronic Arts is the Devil incarnate. They absorbed, killed, and buried so many amazing properties, it's not even funny. F*** them. F*** them, with emphasis.

* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night wasn't revolutionary. It's the same game as Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Just... better. Also, "Castlevania: Bloodlines" is the most fun Castlevania game.
1. Pretty much, but some of them are quite fun, anyway.

2. Huh, there was a series of 3D Street Fighter games. The Street Fighter EX series. But SF always has done better in 2D.

And yes, **** EA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Super Mario World is overrated. To me it seems harder then the NES ones (not counting SMB2 or Doki Panic) unless you just warp straight to Bowser’s backdoor as soon as possible. Surprisingly his castle is not even challenging through the main entrance as long as you pick the right doors.
Hmmm, really? I mean, I can see someone considering it harder than the first ever SMM game, but harder than SMB 3? The only truly hard stage in SMW are the special stages and a couple of stages in the Bowser Land. Tubular, in particular, was a pain for me to beat. Other than that, the game is fair. What's hard is to get every single exit. I've never managed to get all 96 or so exits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Thank you, Prowler, for also holding the opinion that Jabu Jabu is a million times worse than the Water Temple.
Well, no one likes Jabu Jabu, to be fair. But it doesn't make much sense to hate Water Temple anymore now that there's a 3DS remake of the game that makes the whole experience a hella lot smoother. Hating the Water Temple always seemed to me to be more of a gross exaggeration thing, anyway. Or mostly because people originally played OoT when it came out, which was a time where few people still had home internet access and you couldn't google how to get past a certain level or stage in a game if you found yourself stuck in it. Most people seem to have overlooked a particular key in the Water Temple on their first OoT playthrough,

FWIW, here's how I'd rank the OoT dungeons in order of my personal preference:

Spirit Temple
Forest Temple
Shadow Temple
Fire Temple
Ganon's Castle
Dodongo's Cavern
Water Temple
Gerudo training Ground
Inside the Great Deku Tree
Ice Cavern
Bottom of the Well
Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly

The Spirit Temple is just great.

In 1998-1999, the Fire Temple would be above the Shadow Temple. I loved the Fire Temple back in the 90s, but nowadays not so much anymore. On my 3DS playthrough I ended up liking the Shadow Temple more than I did back then. It was the temple I had the least memories of tbh.

Dodongo's Cavern is the best of the Young Link dungeons. Deku Tree is the first dungeon. Not much to say. It does a good job teaching you hoe to play the game and think in a 3D Zelda game, but doesn't hold your hand either.

I included the mini-dungeons just to reinforce the fact that Jabu-jabu can rot in hell
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 16,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
2. Huh, there was a series of 3D Street Fighter games. The Street Fighter EX series.
That was just 3D graphics, not 3D gameplay (same as Street Fighters 4 & 5). No side-stepping.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That was just 3D graphics, not 3D gameplay (same as Street Fighters 4 & 5). No side-stepping.
Ah fair enough.

Virtua Fighter was the series that truly revolutionised 3D fighters. Virtua Fighter 2, in particular. But sadly, Sega were incompetent and on a fast decline at the time, so they weren't able to capitalise on VF2's success and thus Namco kicked their asses with Tekken from Tekken 3 onward.

Virtua Fighter games had great gameplay but lacked charismatic characters or the flashy graphics of Tekken. Plus, VF is also more of a game for the hardcores kinda like SF and KOF while Tekken is more for casuals. So that turned off people from it as well.

You know how people say that the old Mortal Kombat games were all flash and no substance. Virtua Fighter is the exact opposite: all substance and no flash.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 16,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Virtua Fighter was the series that truly revolutionised 3D fighters. Virtua Fighter 2, in particular. But sadly, Sega were incompetent and on a fast decline at the time, so they weren't able to capitalise on VF2's success and thus Namco kicked their asses with Tekken from Tekken 3 onward.

Virtua Fighter games had great gameplay but lacked charismatic characters or the flashy graphics of Tekken. Plus, VF is also more of a game for the hardcores kinda like SF and KOF while Tekken is more for casuals. So that turned off people from it as well.

You know how people say that the old Mortal Kombat games were all flash and no substance. Virtua Fighter is the exact opposite: all substance and no flash.
Agreed. There is no reason at all Sega couldn't (shouldn't?) have held onto the 3D fighter crown with Virtua Fighter. If Sega ever did one thing, though, it was being great at making back to back BAD calls.

Kind of weird state of fighters today. 3D graphics are like photo real almost, yet most fighters are still 2D or have reverted to 2D... and are like "Hey, come play OUR fighter! We've got Jason Voorhees in ours!" Etc..
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Agreed. There is no reason at all Sega couldn't (shouldn't?) have held onto the 3D fighter crown with Virtua Fighter. If Sega ever did one thing, though, it was being great at making back to back BAD calls.

Kind of weird state of fighters today. 3D graphics are like photo real almost, yet most fighters are still 2D or have reverted to 2D... and are like "Hey, come play OUR fighter! We've got Jason Voorhees in ours!" Etc..
Yeah, and don't forget Fighting Vipers and the Fighters Megamix crossover between it and Virtua Fighter and other SEGA properties. I loved playing as Daytona USA's car haha. And speaking of Daytona, Sega also should have capitalised on the Daytona USA and Sega Raly success. Those games were killer arcade games.

Sega has a great legacy, but handles it poorly. They are good at making compilations and releasing their classics on every single platform out there, but they're truly a sleeping giant. They can't even handle their own mascot right, so no surprise there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 16,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yeah, and don't forget Fighting Vipers and the Fighters Megamix crossover between it and Virtua Fighter and other SEGA properties. I loved playing as Daytona USA's car haha. And speaking of Daytona, Sega also should have capitalised on the Daytona USA and Sega Raly success. Those games were killer arcade games.

Sega has a great legacy, but handles it poorly. They are good at making compilations and releasing their classics on every single platform out there, but they're truly a sleeping giant.
With down syndrome. Even right now, there is no reason in the world they couldn't come out with a groundbreaking Sonic game right now, or Virtua Fighter 6 with cutting edge graphics and tech.

Quote:
They can't even handle their own mascot right, so no surprise there.
Which should have been Alex Kidd, mind you.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 6,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
With down syndrome. Even right now, there is no reason in the world they couldn't come out with a groundbreaking Sonic game right now, or Virtua Fighter 6 with cutting edge graphics and tech.



Which should have been Alex Kidd, mind you.
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution was pretty good gameplay wise. Didn't get to play VF5 myself but it looked quite good.

Yes, Sonic has been handled poorly since Adventure... or Sonic 3D. Although I think it was mostly a few really bad games such as Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 that permanently damaged Sonic's reputation forever. The Sonic Advance series was pretty solid, for example.

The best Sonic game of all time came out a couple of years ago. It was called Sonic Mania... but it's originally a fanmade game by two guys who were clearly big fans of the classic Sonic games and thus wanted to make a game just like the Genesis ones everyone loves.

Yes, is Alex Kidd even alive still?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.