The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you like black April?
I liked it or was fine with April being black 38 52.05%
No, I disliked it and she didn't feel like April to me 35 47.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The question is framed in a really strange way, in particular the yes option which asks "Are you ok with April being black?“.

As if the problems that people have with Rise April boil down to her skin colour...
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #22
Diorm
Hench Mutant

The poll is missing the: "I didnt really care about it" kinda answer.
For me it's only her attitude that was annoying. She was ok in the last episodes.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #23
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I thought this April was pretty cool.

At first, I didn't really see much of April in her.. she seemed like a very generic high schooler.

Season 2 April got way better. I think her being a student of Splinter was like the best part and they had that whole Karate kid episode. Also I liked that they did compare and contrast with Casey (Cassandra) Jones.

Casey wanted to so badly to be a successful member of the footclan. Obsession.
April was a little bit of an outsider and aggressive in her desire to success (i.e. selling those cookies) and needed lessons in patience and approach.

Both desired success and needed guidance. And they each stepped up in their own way when the chips were down.

Does the color of her skin matter? not really. This is the Rise version of April and I'll leave it at that.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #24
IMJ
Emperor

The question as presented in this thread is loaded, short sighted and unnecessarily provocative in it's trapping options.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:14 PM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Question should be more 'did Rise April'.

Her being black had nothing to do with nothing. This show was so hyper and insane. if April was still white all you would have done is replace this insane black girl with an insane white girl.

Also Cubed, never visit Harlem. You'd naive enough to start asking folks about the 'a' or 'hard r' and you'll never survive.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

This thread was made with completely innocent intentions and no ulterior motives, I can assure you.

As they say, "It is what it is."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I do not watch the show often, but maybe I am wrong but was this April biting people on the leg? I mean she seem insane as a above post said, but April biting people REGARDLESS of race is the last think I would think of when I think April O'Neil. I could be wrong or was it the arm?
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Never watched it. Though since the show failed, I'm assuming this version of April didn't connect with people.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #29
Galactus
Foot Elite

I didn't watch it either but I doubt the show sunk or swum based on April O'Neil.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #30
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Never watched it. Though since the show failed, I'm assuming this version of April didn't connect with people.
From the little that I've watched, she was obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I didn't watch it either but I doubt the show sunk or swum based on April O'Neil.
No but she certainly didn't help it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

I know there's some fanart of black April on deviantart and tumblr, so she does have some fans I guess.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #32
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
April in name only felt like shameless pandering to a certain demographic of people
What certain demo are you talking about?
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #33
Teddygaming reviews
Hench Mutant

to be honest i couldn't care less what colour her skin was. i would have preferred if she was white only because all the other versions were whit, but if she was black again i would have nothing against it. My only problem with this version of april was that she didn't feel like april
Old 10-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #34
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

I am honestly not bother because even the turtles themselves were radically different from their original counterpart. Mostly for the better and some for the worst.

But if this same April was in 2k3 and 2012 but look and acted the same way from Rise then I would have a problem because this character simply shouldn't been April. If she just look black but acted like April, I would only think about for five minutes wondering if this was a call back to when mirage April had that jerry curl look and her skin tone was dark for one or two issues, but honestly that's how I would feel about it.

In terms of personality, Rise April is blatantly different and for good reason because her past iterations would never have the energy to deal with Rise turtles's crazy ********. Could your April be willingly to make a serious documentary of her friends doing the Lair Games or blindly jump into a fight with just a baseball bat against some lovecraftian monster

I know your April isn't a wallflower, but damn it this April was fun and just fits with this universe perfectly because everyone in this show was already crazy to some degree.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 10-10-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #35
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Great shows don't connect with people all the time, so yeah that's not a good way to measure anything.
I don't think it was April who was the issue.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #36
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
In terms of personality, Rise April is blatantly different and for good reason because her past iterations would never have the energy to deal with Rise turtles's crazy ********.
You know, I guess that's a pretty damn good reason, else she might have just blown them off and stayed home like any sane person. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

I really don't like this April. I hate how she "acts tough" and is so bossy in a lot of the episodes. Like when the Turtles car/tank got stolen they accuse April and she immediately hits them in the head with a baseball bat and throws them out of her apartment for accusing her. Or the first ep with Baxter with the ghost robot, it's chasing them all down the supermarket aisle and April is laughing/cheering while Mike/Leo are scared and she screams, "Salaaaami" when she hits the meat at it.

Also don't like her voice actress. She emphasizes her words to give her that tough black slang and it rubs me the wrong way. It's hard to describe into words but anyone who watches the show knows what I mean.

Besides that I don't care for her design. The red glasses, the green/yellow outfit, her hair in buns at the top, it's all a major turn-off. She's not even pleasant to look at like other April's and she's an eye sore mainly.

Worst. April. Ever. Hopefully the next April is white as nature intended.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #38
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Pretty much sums it up about her. It feels like she adds nothing to the dynamic. I didn't think we'd get an April worse than Megan Fox's but here we are.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

It is kinda disappointing, I would have been cool with a black April or a dark-skinned April in general, as long as she was likeable and had a fun personality and some dynamic with the Turtles.

This April did not. I mean I don't even want to call her April because she might as well been anyone else in name-only. They could have called her Lydia and nobody would know the difference.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:03 AM   #40
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I guess they could have made her Angel but even this character would be an insult to her.

Tags
april o'neil