The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Tiptup View Post
Its unfortunate that Rise hasn't found more success. They probably should have let TMNT rest for a few years before rebooting it again.
You really think waiting a few years and then dropping "Rise of the TMNT" would have made one iota in difference in terms of reception?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #42
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You really think waiting a few years and then dropping "Rise of the TMNT" would have made one iota in difference in terms of reception?
It can be argued that 95% of the time (not 100%....), stating "franchise fatigue" to justify failure is one of two things: punishment born of anger, or bandwagon-joining born of naivety.

For example, when studio execs do it it can be easily explained by their anger at failure of a project. What they really mean is to employ high context punishment to the fanbase - "if you don't like what the studio gives you, we will take it away from you". But when a fan goes this route I can't help but think how naive that can be - someone hears a new hype phrase, so they "try it out".

That remaining 5% is when "franchise fatigue" might be accurate in some manner. But normally "franchise fatigue" is meant to reinforce keeping something juuuuust scarce enough that a fandom will ingest it at the drop of a hat, no matter what the quality is.

Putting more time in between Rise and '12 most likely wouldn't have helped when you have a hardcore fanbase that largely rejects an idea for any given specific reason.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #43
sdp
Megan Fox = April

A break would've definitely helped, this show had everything against it, the whole fact that it's trying something new was already going to alienate fans, but the fact that 2012 was cancelled to make room for this show meant those fans were going to be angry. Add a few influencers to hate on it for either of those reasons above and all stuff will be negative.

If toy sales died down during 2012 that means it needed a small break not just more turtles immediately, so the kids didn't care to pick up more turtles. Even DC learned that Batman show after Batman show wasn't working and the last Batman cartoon which was CG got cancelled shortly after it started airing. They really should've just reinvented 2012 with a last season a la red sky/Fast Forward and have that show end, and reboot in a couple of years.

Now what? Turtles are basically dead and if the new movie sucks that'll cement it further, it'll be a few years before we get anything which might be a good idea, not complaining. But the point is if TMNT had had a small break after 2012 it likely would've been more popular just in terms of reception, "the turtles are back" instead of "they were never gone but we cancelled the show you liked for these".

I also think Rise should've been bolder, if it was going to try new things then go all out, the show didn't try to do anything too crazy. I much would've preferred many of the different takes we got in the Ninja Turtles summer shorts.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:05 AM   #44
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Franchise fatigue is by no means the only problem that faced Rise from the get go. They rebooted it because 2012 was losing the interest of the kids but the real question is, were kids ever really interested in Rise? Set aside what adult fans think of it and consider the intended audience. Adults can help the toy sales for sure but if kids don't want the toys then they're not gonna sell like the 2012 line initially did.

Regarding franchise fatigue the Batman example is a good comparison because kids didn't like Beware the Batman and having it replace Brave and the Bold just didn't work. They haven't made a Batman show for kids since, though they've made sure to include Batman in Teen Titans Go regularly. Spider-Man has had a lot of cartoons as well and it was painful for Spectacular Spider-Man and Avengers: EMH to make way for Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble and adult fans hated the change but kids still wanted more Spider-Man so USM lasted 5 seasons. Then they rebooted Spider-Man again and to far less successful results. Then there's Star Wars which had Rebels following up The Clone Wars to great success but nobody seems to care about the current show. Power Ranger's success differs from season to season as well.

TMNT tends to be successful for several years before winding down. It never really goes away but with the exception of Rise and TNM the franchise tends to rest production for a handful of years between series. Maybe it needs the breaks while some franchises arguably don't but on the other hand an incarnation can last over 100 episodes if kids are still watching it and the toys are still selling. The fact that Rise toys are already donezo after just about a year says they definitely botched that end of things. Action figures aren't the hot commodity they once were but there's still plenty of figure lines that sell.

So I don't know, people weren't gonna like Rise much if at all more if it didn't immediately replace 2012 but they probably should have at least waited for the current young fans of 2012 to be entirely out of the target demographic before they rebooted the franchise. And I also agree that the changes made for Rise feel like a half-measure and they could have and probably should have changed up a lot more. Also the title never sat well with me.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #45
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

That iam back and Draxum is dead evrything is seems to becoming normal. Sooner or later Utroms will come with real mutagen and then Bebop Rocksteady and Tiger claw will appear, Stockman will create a formula that wil make him a adult and start working for me and evrything wil become as the IDW, 2003 2012 ans 1987 series . But if Rise ends now then the best it can happen is the next series to be based on IDW as IDW series will also end soon.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

If Season 2 is the last season, the show still made 52 episodes, so it's not like it didn't have a decent sized run for it's new concept. Plus it's getting a movie on netflix too, so there's that as well. Even the Nick 2012 series didn't get a movie, which is what I'm hoping for with this netflix deal and Ciro giving them pitches to revive the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Plus it's getting a movie on netflix too, so there's that as well.
We don't know what that is yet. It's probably like how the "Out of the Shadows" movie stole its name from the unrelated video game and how "Rise of the TMNT" itself stole its title from the unrelated first episode of the 2012 show. They just really like certain titles and don't care if they're from something else.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #48
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, they've already stated that the Netflix thing is supposed to tie the two seasons together, so it probably is for this series. However, with season 2 having already started...

Though if it's on hiatus now, I'm assuming it may hit before it returns?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:52 AM   #49
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well, they've already stated that the Netflix thing is supposed to tie the two seasons together, so it probably is for this series. However, with season 2 having already started...

Though if it's on hiatus now, I'm assuming it may hit before it returns?
You don't get much more tied together than having the season finale lead directly into the next season premiere.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #50
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, exactly.

Quote:
While there haven't been any major updates since the film was announced in February, ComicBook.com got some early details from the show's creative team at last month's San Diego Comic-Con. While the team didn't reveal any major plot points or spoilers, they hinted at the film's unique role in bridging the gap between Rise's first and second seasons.
So at this point I'm not sure what is being bridged unless it isn't about the present arc at this point in time. Maybe it's more of a prequel bridging past and present...? I mean, those last few eps finally hinted, but only just barely, at Draxum's past that got him to this point. As well has Mayhem's involvement and whoever those Wizard of Oz talking heads were.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote