The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #681
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Agreed. I loved the entirety of the flashback, but the modern day framing scenes did nothing to tie it in with BvS. Or lead into Justice League.
Yeah, none of that.

End of WW: "I understand humanity now! My faith in them is reinforced 100%"

Beginning of BvS: "I have completely given up on mankind. It sucks."

Whuh?

I mean, it could be inferred that when WWI wasn't the "war to end all wars" but just one of the many to come, that broke her spirit. But that is only an inferral.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #682
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I guess it's hard to pull off a good super villain in a movie. Most Marvel villains are pretty lackluster in that department too.
Nah, man, we've seen plenty of good villains in movies. Agent Smith from the Matrix trilogy comes to mind first (just rewatched it), and the Joker and R'as al Ghul from the Dark Knight trilogy. (Bane, too, if you can get past the Talia reveal/debate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, none of that.

End of WW: "I understand humanity now! My faith in them is reinforced 100%"

Beginning of BvS: "I have completely given up on mankind. It sucks."

Whuh?

I mean, it could be inferred that when WWI wasn't the "war to end all wars" but just one of the many to come, that broke her spirit. But that is only an inferral.
As a retcon, it's not too hard for me to swallow. I mean, comparatively, Marvel fans eventually got over the Norton/Ruffalo Hulk change-up! Or the switch-up of the Incredible Hulk's post credits scene with Ross and Stark...
Old 08-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #683
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Nah, man, we've seen plenty of good villains in movies. Agent Smith from the Matrix trilogy comes to mind first (just rewatched it), and the Joker and R'as al Ghul from the Dark Knight trilogy. (Bane, too, if you can get past the Talia reveal/debate.)
I'm just talking about capesh*t. And there have been some homerun performances, but the batting average is way low. Especially in the past 10 years. Marvel is on a 3-movie streak though, even if Zemo didn't win everyone over. And trailers suggest the next two could be great, too.

Quote:
As a retcon, it's not too hard for me to swallow. I mean, comparatively, Marvel fans eventually got over the Norton/Ruffalo Hulk change-up! Or the switch-up of the Incredible Hulk's post credits scene with Ross and Stark...
Well you can't help actor contracts. And the Ross thing was explained away in a One-shot and a comic book.

This seemed more like a dropped thread. Which is weird considering the same creative team that handled her in BvS are in charge of Justice League. We'll see which direction they take her soon enough.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #684
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Marvel fans eventually got over the Norton/Ruffalo Hulk change-up!
Not me. Never forget. Norton would have been awesome in the mix.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #685
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I'm just talking about capesh*t. And there have been some homerun performances, but the batting average is way low. Especially in the past 10 years. Marvel is on a 3-movie streak though, even if Zemo didn't win everyone over. And trailers suggest the next two could be great, too.

Well you can't help actor contracts. And the Ross thing was explained away in a One-shot and a comic book.

This seemed more like a dropped thread. Which is weird considering the same creative team that handled her in BvS are in charge of Justice League. We'll see which direction they take her soon enough.
Baron Zemo was a great villain, but had zero in common with the comics version. But I never read those comics, so not an issue for me. So the streak... that's Zemo, Ego, Vulture?

Villains really shouldn't be so hard for movies. It's easy. But as long as we have the Netflix MCU villains and the Dark Knight trilogy, it's okay.

And Eobard Thawne from the CW Flash show...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #686
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wow, the Jenkins/Cameron thing. I actually stand 100% behind what Jenkins is saying here in her rebuttal.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/patty-...#axzz4qjyRsV9Q
Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #687
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm so glad Patty is the director on this, she truly understands Wonder Woman and what it stands for the people.

James Cameron sounded so ignorant, he is overrated anyway. I saw Avatar and it's a snoozefest boring movie. Terminator series is not all that too.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:11 AM   #688
CyberCubed
Overlord

James Cameron like Bruce Timm are both self destructing in their old ages. They've both essentially lost their talent and are now just riding on their old successes. It's why old directors/writers should retire before they tarnish their legacy.

BTW, James Cameron best movie besides Terminator 1/2 and Aliens was True Lies. Arnold Schwarzeneggar was incredible in that one.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #689
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's why old directors/writers should retire before they tarnish their legacy.
I don't think any director sets out to tarnish their legacy.

And Clint Eastwood is 87 years old and still putting out critically acclaimed work.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #690
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I don't think any director sets out to tarnish their legacy.

And Clint Eastwood is 87 years old and still putting out critically acclaimed work.
I've seen Changeling and it was pretty amazing.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #691
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wow, the Jenkins/Cameron thing. I actually stand 100% behind what Jenkins is saying here in her rebuttal.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/patty-...#axzz4qjyRsV9Q
so basically he's s aying if a person isn't grim and gritty, it's not a true super hero?

bull crap. so tired of grim and gritty. one reason I liked WW is that there was a sense of human nature to it.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #692
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
so basically he's s aying if a person isn't grim and gritty, it's not a true super hero?
Basically. "Grumble grumble, Wonder Woman is pretty and objectifiable... you see Sarah Connor, the character I created? Not pretty! And mean! Now that's how you do a true superheroine!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
James Cameron sounded so ignorant, he is overrated anyway. I saw Avatar and it's a snoozefest boring movie.
Well, let's not get carried away here. He's never done a movie I haven't loved.

Quote:
Terminator series is not all that too.
Which isn't saying much, since he only had anything to do with 2/5s of it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-25-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #693
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I'm so glad Patty is the director on this, she truly understands Wonder Woman and what it stands for the people.

James Cameron sounded so ignorant, he is overrated anyway. I saw Avatar and it's a snoozefest boring movie. Terminator series is not all that too.
That guy is about to **** the bed with the 85,000 planned Avatar sequels nobody wants
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #694
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I figure that's just James Cameron being James Cameron. Jenkins' response was far more dignified.

I think the great thing about this movie was that it translated the character's values, tropes, and ideas circa the Golden Age comics into a modern film, despite a slightly tweaked origin.

All the complaining about objectification would really have to go back to William Moulton Marston and H.G. Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #695
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well James Cameron is right about Sarah Conner, she was never pretty, not even in the first movie. But that's the actress herself.

Sigourney Weaver on the other hand was hot as hell. In both Aliens and her other movies like in Ghostbusters, New Girl with Harrison Ford, Galaxy Quest, the WWI movie she had with Mel Gibson, etc.

Come to think of it I got to look up more old Sigourney Weaver movies when she was in her prime. Anyone think Mirage April's hairstyle was based on her? She has the same black curly hairstyle in the old 80s Mirage issues.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #696
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Hamilton wasn't pretty, she was/is gorgeous.
ESPECIALLY in T2.

And that right there is one of the many differences between the male and female gaze.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #697
Vegita-San
Emperor

and honestly. except for the smoking habit, what's wrong with that look? I wouldn't complain.

Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #698
drgon78
Mad Scientist

James Cameron hasn't done a good movie in over 20 years.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #699
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
James Cameron hasn't done a good movie in over 20 years.

20 years ago from now was Titanic in 1997, lol.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #700
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
That guy is about to **** the bed with the 85,000 planned Avatar sequels nobody wants
Part 1 made 3 billion dollars. Everyone wants sequels to it.

Tags
wonder woman