The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: How do y'all think Leo's and Mikey's relationship will develop?
I think they will try to imitate each other. Mikey will to apply Leo's personality onto himself. 1 8.33%
I am sure that their relationship will be developed. I believe that the writers will make it work. 4 33.33%
I don't care how their relationship will develop. 0 0%
I already have low expectations; I don't think their relationship will develop at all. 2 16.67%
I don't really know. I will wait for the show to officially air. 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

How do you think Leonardo's and Michelangelo's sibling relationship will go?

In other words, how do you think it will develop?

On February 1st 2018, the Nickelodeon crew unveiled a humongous amount of new information regarding the upcoming cartoon, Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Out of all of the various facts, however, I was intently focused on this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podcast
Mikey and Leo have the special relationship, Mikey is the youngest brother and Leo takes him under his wing

(My Thoughts: The execution could go in several directions. Maybe Mikey will take his comedic quirks after his inspiring older brother. Maybe he will be inspired by Leo's charm/ charisma. Maybe he will even try to emulate Leo's snarkiness.

The possibilities are endless!
)

Will there be meaningful character interactions and dialogue? Will they go through vital character development that would change the show's perspective of these characters? Will they dwell on their own personal advantages and flaws?

If the above questions seem to difficult to answer, then how do you want their relationship to go?

Discuss your thoughts and opinions below.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 02-19-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Right now... I'm feeling a Leo that's protective of Mikey, esp possibly from Raph, and yet an instigator using Mikey (for pranks or whatever)...who then does a two-faced about-face and protects Mikey once the pot is stirred. Though I hope I'm wrong, because that sucks.

However it goes, it isn't going to be what I generally enjoy about those two and sounds less interesting. Not unless Leo does a lot of growing up.

Typically, in many other iterations, I love seeing the [normally] oldest and youngest brothers together sometimes. They're such polar opposites as people, and probably don't really get each other all that well, that it doesn't happen all that often, but it's nice to see them work together and use each other's strengths. Sad that this will be lost. And will miss that Leo and Donnie are normally more alike... (I'm almost sad then that it leaves Donnie with no brother who is somewhat more like him, but then I recalled now that Donnie's personally probably isn't going to be the same either. *sigh*)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I look forward to that aspect of the show especially and believe it will most likely work.

Don looks like he will be mature and busy with his tech work while Raph will have the responsibility of leadership so it only seems natural that the two childlike turtles of the group will highly get along and even have a best friends sort of dynamic.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

I'm interested to see how this goes. But I do prefer the older stoic Leo with the younger and wild-like Mikey. They weren't the closest of brothers but there was always a form of mutual respect. And I liked that. It's similar to the relationship between Donnie and Raph.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
They weren't the closest of brothers but there was always a form of mutual respect. And I liked that. It's similar to the relationship between Donnie and Raph.
Agree. The Brains and the Brawn. The Serious and the Silly.

Then the two deeper, thinking, smarter, little more reserved types. And the two more wild child, in your face, dive in and do it now types.

The natural dynamics that have developed slowly in the past 30+ years are pretty deep and organic and feel natural. Vs whatever shoehorned changes this next one has tried to make to disrupt that.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-19-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Both are gonna be pranksters now judging from Leo's nickname "The Trickster"...
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
victory_angel
Foot Elite

It should prove interesting. Often the Turtles would mesh or carry a kenship with the brother who was analigous to them. Such as during down times, Leo and Donnie empathize with one another in various version. And Raph and Mikey having a best buddies relationship.

But during battles the Turtles would be paired up with the brothers who were the complete opposite side of the spectrum from them. Such as the 2k3 when Donnie had to perform a task that would leave him vulnerable for the most part, Raph had to say with him and watch his shell. Or other times when Donnie and Mikey were paired off to undergo the more recon portion of the mission, while Raph and Leo take point and draw any danger away from their brothers. That or Raph and Leo clash with each other as both Don and Mikey commiserate about it.

Since this version of Leo is the second youngest and holds swagger, and arrogance to back up being laid back then perhaps he wants to have a little buddy that he feels he can look after, but use as a prank monkey at times.

Last edited by victory_angel; 02-20-2018 at 05:48 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Once Leo becomes leader, I wonder would they develop a close relationship between Raph and Mikey again?

Hearing about the switch in roles and personalities makes me already miss the old Leo/Raph Raph/Mikey Donnie/Leo dynamic.

Last edited by Xiewin; 02-20-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Once Leo becomes leader, I wonder would they develop a close relationship between Raph and Mikey again?
When was that confirmed?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

In the same video where the show was stated to be 11 minutes.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Wait...Rise of The Turtles is two eleven minute segments the way most Nicktoons are formatted? I tend to stay out of the new information thread to avoid conflict so I miss information bits.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
In the same video where the show was stated to be 11 minutes.
Which video? What was stated in said video?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Which video? What was stated in said video?
It might be the Pixel Dan or Toy Hype video. It's somewhere on one of these threads.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 AM   #14
newfan
Mad Scientist

Didn't it say something like Raph being leader 'to start' or 'for now', something like that.

...only to be taken over by... Mikey.... I'm just kidding.

Have Leo and Mikey had much of an interaction/closeness before? Nice to explore that if they haven't, Leo didn't need to be changed in order to do that but I don't think that's why they changed him.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I'm not sure it's been directly confirmed point blank, but one of the videos did say something about Leo not being ready to be leader, for now.

God, it may as well have been Mikey. Considering what they've said of Splinter now too, that he hasn't really been much of a father figure (how sad) and I guess took him that far into their lives to realized the dangers out there, etc... He could have just waved it off and made leader just whoever at random.

Although if Splinter has had such a lax attitude for so long, I'm kind of wondering if he just left it all to the boys to figure out and Raph, being the muscle, simply forced it as a power grab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Have Leo and Mikey had much of an interaction/closeness before?
Not so much in the things I'm more familiar with. I mean... they're all close, but they relate to ether other in different ways. Which kind of makes it nice(r) imo that they're [normally] polar opposites in personality, and they don't tend to connect that much, making the times they do all the better. They might not get each other much, but they're at times able to recognize and appreciate what each other brings to the team/family.

I mean, Mikey can be rather insightful and aware... i.e. He's the one in the 2003 version to point out and tell the others how much Leo takes things onto his own shoulders, allowing the rest of them to relax, pursue interests etc.

Quote:
Leo didn't need to be changed in order to do that
Yeah...

Quote:
but I don't think that's why they changed him.
I hope not and I doubt it too, for the most part.

I fear it's more a mix of Raph preference based AND non-Leo people who don't find Leo interesting enough trying to make him more interesting for non-Leo people... Leo fans be damned. And then had to shoehorn in what they decide is more interesting in order to do something with him.

So much for having the stoic, calm, upstanding strategist of the family. Maybe that isn't interesting and less "fun" to some people (and who cares if it isn't, they have other Turtles to amuse them), but too bad this show probably will not venture into how the lack of that in the group should be problematic for them. Maybe this Leo can grow up a bit and get more serious... but much of who he normally is is a personally type, not just a maturity thing.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure it's been directly confirmed point blank, but one of the videos did say something about Leo not being ready to be leader, for now.

I hope not and I doubt it too, for the most part.

I fear it's more a mix of Raph preference based AND non-Leo people who don't find Leo interesting enough trying to make him more interesting for non-Leo people... Leo fans be damned. And then had to shoehorn in what they decide is more interesting in order to do something with him.

So much for having the stoic, calm, upstanding strategist of the family. Maybe that isn't interesting and less "fun" to some people (and who cares if it isn't, they have other Turtles to amuse them), but too bad this show probably will not venture into how the lack of that in the group should be problematic for them. Maybe this Leo can grow up a bit and get more serious... but much of who he normally is is a personally type, not just a maturity thing.
Pretending that this show isn't 'younger' than the others and was the same kind of style I'd say it would be to show him being a little ..undisciplined? and then show him gaining the qualities which make him, him...hence the title... 'the rise of Leonardo, from naughty little trickster to calm, fearless leader'. (though in 2012 it was indicted he had leader qualities from a young age, not sure about the other versions)

I imagined much the same with Mikey and Leo's relationship, kinda like a stick together against the Bully/boss type thing.

Last edited by newfan; 02-21-2018 at 10:26 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
victory_angel
Foot Elite

From what’s been discribed about Leo according to the actor, is that he is more laid back then previous versions. He is intelligent (nowhere near Donnie but then who is) and has the swagger and arrogence to back it up. Even the “meet the cast video” had the actor saying “I am the champion...of the world” which sounded a bit too arrogant for Leo, but given more context it sounds more appropriate.

Maybe they wind up in a situation where Leo realizes the hard way that leadership isn’t about him and what he wants. And that is what really tests his mettle as a potential leader