The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2024, 04:12 PM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
It sounds like you'd be much happier if you did just that. What's stopping you?
You interjected the "sounds like...." part. The premise of your whole question relies on that. My happiness level is fine. The point being that if it was all gone in a fire, I would just move on rather than rebuilding a 37 year in the making collection from scratch all over again.

But you had to go with some kind of virtue litmus test based on false pretense? C'mon, bud. And the irony is that I am one of the few in the thread who actually provided any kind of measurable, usable methodology by-the-topic and I've got guys like you poking at nothing and forum-bottom-feeders like Teemu making commentary.

Some of you guys are real $#!( bags, you know that? Teemu's probably crying f'n loud-mouth tears of anger that he is overwhelmed with his cheap $#!( collection and apartment living while the rest of us have actual strategies for it that compliment life in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Ironically enough all the toys being made now are our dream toys we all wanted 20+ years ago when we were kids. But now we're too old to really enjoy them. It's a weird feeling, I would be all over modern TMNT figures even if I were still in my early 20's.

But I am an old man now, I just can't justify it anymore. The irony is we finally get what we all wanted but now it just came a little too late in time in our lifespans.
You're right. But on the other hand, these markets of $30 post-tax Mouse Jaws and 60 dollar Fred Wolf TMNT figures isn't being sustained by kids. There is an observation as to the reality in there somewhere...

Last edited by IMJ; 02-02-2024 at 04:20 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:33 PM   #22
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
You interjected the "sounds like...." part. The premise of your whole question relies on that. My happiness level is fine. The point being that if it was all gone in a fire, I would just move on rather than rebuilding a 37 year in the making collection from scratch all over again.

But you had to go with some kind of virtue litmus test based on false pretense? C'mon, bud. And the irony is that I am one of the few in the thread who actually provided any kind of measurable, usable methodology by-the-topic and I've got guys like you poking at nothing and forum-bottom-feeders like Teemu making commentary.

Some of you guys are real $#!( bags, you know that? Teemu's probably crying f'n loud-mouth tears of anger that he is overwhelmed with his cheap $#!( collection and apartment living while the rest of us have actual strategies for it that compliment life in general.
The same D' bag like you that cowardly blocked me because the pu$$ can't handle the TRUTH It's sounds like you're the one living in an apartment and struggling with your own collection as you're addiction to plastic crack continues to overflow with it.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:38 PM   #23
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

You're right. But on the other hand, these markets of $30 post-tax Mouse Jaws and 60 dollar Fred Wolf TMNT figures isn't being sustained by kids. There is an observation as to the reality in there somewhere...
Nah man... you assumed some kind of offensive intent. Mine was a legitimate question. I'm curious.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:42 PM   #24
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Nah man... you assumed some kind of offensive intent. Mine was a legitimate question. I'm curious.
Don't question this know-it-all TMNT collector and his own priorities
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:54 PM   #25
Otter
Stone Warrior

Again... I'm actually trying to engage with the actual post. I think a lot of us feel some obligation to buy things that we don't really value, because of hype, the "community" or out of habit.

I'm not insulting anybody (intentionally...apologies to IMJ for the misunderstanding).
I'm not taking sides.
I'm trying to have an interesting, and I think valuable and important, conversation.

I'm not interested in you guys' squabbles. Can we get back on track?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:14 PM   #26
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I guess part of the reason that I wanted to collect to begin with is because I felt a sense of "ownership" (or at least a mutual ownership) over part of the fandom I was collecting/engaging with. In the case of TMNT specifically, something I tried to wrap my head around was that parting with it - to me - felt like giving up that "ownership."

But then CyberCubed made a good point - these are in fact dream figures, that I wanted 20+ years ago, which also means that I survived for 20+ years without them.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:40 AM   #27
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

I decided awhile back to switch to only collecting Donatello and it was very hard selling everything off, but after the fact now, I don’t really miss or regret most of it. Now my collection is more focused and better in my opinion.

Only thing I kinda miss are the 3 DreamEx figures.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:13 AM   #28
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I've been contemplating getting rid of my 1/4th 1990 movie collection for some time now, but I was also potentially waiting until we finish the basement to see if there's a better home for them there. They're just sitting in my closet in a packaging box from when we moved last spring. Same with all of my TMNT figures from my childhood, they're all just in a container in my closet. I probably won't want to get rid of them, but they're just truthfully taking up space.

As far as how people have trouble of letting things go, I had to deal with that tremendously two years ago as when my Dad passed, it left me as the only living member of my immediate family. My Mom passed away from lung cancer in April of 2020, my younger brother died from complications of chronic alcoholism at the age of 29 in September of 2021 and then my Dad died from lung cancer in March of 2022. So I was basically the only one dealing with cleaning out my family home and selling things/getting them ready for an estate sale/throwing things away. I took time off work for a year after everyone had passed to kind of give myself grace as I was Dad's sole caretaker, and that allowed me to kind of consolodate a lot of things.

My family weren't hoarders, but my Dad certainly just kept a lot of 'stuff.' My brother had about 5 extra large tins and huge containers of just loose action figures since he was a kid. I kept any of the TMNT stuff that meant a lot to me, but I ended up selling or trading stuff in to help kind of add to my 1987 series collection.

Figure wise, I've really only kept my stuff to just TMNT related ... and even then, I keep it to strictly NECA and focused on movie or cartoon. This past year I've been selling off things that I know are just not going to have a purpose for me anymore, mostly some of my TMNT hardback books.

Other than the occassional physical video game or records, that's about it for me.