The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Splash Mountain at Disney Parks to be re-themed to 'The Princess & the Frog'

One of Disney Parks most popular rides is getting a dramatic makeover. Splash Mountain, the ride which is based on the controversial film Song of the South which depicts problematic portrayals of the post-Civil War South and racial stereotypes, will now be based on Disney's 2009 animated movie The Princess and the Frog.

Quote:
Today we are thrilled to share a first glimpse of a project Imagineers have been working on since last year. Splash Mountain at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida will soon be completely reimagined. The theme is inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, 'The Princess and the Frog.' We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure featuring some of the powerful music from the film as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance.

Tiana is a modern, courageous, and empowered woman, who pursues her dreams and never loses sight of what's really important. It's a great story with a strong lead character, set against the backdrop of New Orleans and the Louisiana bayou. In 1966, Walt himself opened New Orleans Square when it became the first new land added to Disneyland park, so it feels natural to link the story and the incredible music of 'The Princess and the Frog' to our parks.

The voice of Princess Tiana and Tony Award-winning actress, Anika Noni Rose, shared, "It is really exciting to know that Princess Tiana's presence in both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom will finally be fully realized! As passionate as I am about what we created, I know the fans are going to be over the moon. The Imagineers are giving us ‘The Princess and the Frog’ Mardi Gras celebration we've been waiting for, and I'm here for it!"

The approach to retheming or plussing attractions (as Walt Disney referred to it) begins with Imagineers asking the question, how can we build upon or elevate the experience and tell a fresh, relevant story. It's a continuous process that Imagineers are deeply passionate about. And with this longstanding history of updating attractions and adding new magic, the retheming of Splash Mountain is of particular importance today. The new concept is inclusive one that all of our guests can connect with and be inspired by, and it speaks to the diversity of the millions of people who visit our parks each year.

Charita Carter, the senior creative producer leading the project at Walt Disney Imagineering shared Like Princess Tiana, I believe that courage and love are the key ingredients for wonderful adventures. I am delighted to be a part of bringing this fun-filled experience to our guests?

For Imagineers, change is rooted in a tradition set by Walt Disney who encouraged new innovations, new ideas, new scenes, and current storytelling. And the experiences they create can be enjoyed by guests who visit our parks from all over the world.

As part of the creative development process, conceptual design work is well underway and Imagineers will soon be able to conduct preliminary reviews and develop a timeline for when the transformation can start to take shape.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...5200701200001C

Last edited by ranger_scout; 02-23-2021 at 02:40 PM.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I knew of the petition and it comes up ever so often. It is unfortunate that Disney actually caved in this time on something that had nothing to do with racial inequity.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I knew of the petition and it comes up ever so often. It is unfortunate that Disney actually caved in this time on something that had nothing to do with racial inequity.
The slaves weren't even featured in the ride. Only the animal characters were. That's why I think people are overreacting to this.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
The slaves weren't even featured in the ride. Only the animal characters were. That's why I think people are overreacting to this.
Oh, I am well aware. I have seen Defuctland's video on the ride and even went on it myself in my trip to Dineyworld. Zippy Doo Dah and the Brair characters have nothing to do with a grandfatherly figure in Gilded Age South. My sibling owns a copy of the film so I have seen it a long time ago, but the ride itself is pure of any reference of anything that is currently riding controversy.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Should have been the Simpsons
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Unfortunate, but Disney has often retired or updated and rebranded attractions in their parks, so I suppose if anything they picked a way to do it that makes the most sense to transition it to.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be honest I'm suprised that they even still had the ride featuring the animal characters given Disney's reluctance to release the movie.

Song of the South is very...simplistic in it's treatment of race. Like the black characters seem far too happy and content for former slaves but that's just Disney being Disney. Frankly there is far more racist things that Disney have allowed to be released.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #8
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Has anyone here ever actually seen Song of the South? The actor, James Baskett, does a wonderful job in it. Is it hard to watch? Oh yeah. In places, it's pretty disgusting and abhorrent, but in other places it's Baskett's performance that really deserves praise. The problem is, the film gets painted as this pro-black slavery, racist film... It is, however Uncle Remus is not a happy and content freed slave in the film as is often described. There's actually a lot of pathos in the movie. Remus doesn't seem terribly thrilled about life. You can tell that Baskett had a hard time with the role but also that he was an amazing actor. I view the film as an interesting historical document, in much the same way Gone With the Wind and Huckleberry Finn are products of their time, or any of those racist, taboo cartoons from the 1930s and 1940s, like Dumbo or the "tar-baby watermelon seed cartoons" released by WB... Even Will Eisner's Ebony White character... They're all... interesting... if problematic (though I'll never begrudge Eisner for Ebony because that character actually provided visibility to black people and was played as quite assertive and intelligent).

I believe Mr. Baskett was the first black actor to receive an Oscar. He died of diabetic complications. I think it's a crime that he isn't remembered more.

The ultimate question is.... Should we let our sense of racial justice limit us from experiencing certain problematic pieces of entertainment? Should they be completely dismissed?

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 07-05-2020 at 07:19 AM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Seeing how Disney is embarrassed of the movie, I doubt anyone will ever see it through official channels, or at least in a properly remastered form.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I think I saw parts of it, as a kid. Some of it definitely seems familiar.

I'm very firmly anti-censorship of just about any kind. And I believe that history is a conversation. When you close doors and put up bricks over certain parts of that conversation, it does nobody any good. If you "have" to run something along with a disclaimer or something, that's one thing and I don't really see much problem with that. But when you start "banning" movies or songs or TV shows or episodes of same, because parts of them make some people "uncomfortable", that hurts everyone.

Like with "Song of the South", what's the ultimate thing people are "afraid" of that makes it so taboo? Are they afraid little kids are going to watch it and "become racist"? That's not how these things work. Sadly, I've watched people go over a lifetime from Absolutely Zero Racism to Actually Pretty Racist over a period of decades, and it's not because of stuff they see on TV, it's because of their own negative experiences and what they choose to take away from those experiences, mixed with stuff their parents put in their heads. But it's not from TV or movies.

From what I understand, a lot of it is because it shows n "idealized" portrayal of a dark time in our history. But I think it's disingenuous to say that something that shows white people and black people getting along with each other during a time of great racial tension that's way in the past is "racist" or dishonest, frankly I think it's dishonest to suggest that they still couldn't and didn't. Lots of people did get along even though it wasn't a "good" situation. But then I'm only going from what I've read, in that I haven't seen the full movie I don't think, because I'm not "allowed" to see the full movie.

I don't know, as a fan of all artistic endeavors from TV to movies to music to everything, I really don't like censorship and locking things away from people because "some people might take a bad message from it". Isn't that how we educate people, by starting those conversations and not hiding from them? Wouldn't it be enough to just say "Things were different then, and here's why it's not like that anymore"? It's all part of the larger conversation.

Then again... doesn't Germany just kind of pretend their own Bad Sh*t never happened, too? I guess that's just how people are, they'd rather not be reminded in any way whatsoever that every single group of people has a "problematic" history. But they all do. I just think it's dishonest to just sweep stuff under the rug and say "Nothing Happened, We Don't Talk About It", nobody learns anything that way.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Andre Meadows AKA Black Nerd shared his reaction to the ride being rethemed to The Princess and the Frog.

Also, Jim Cummings basically confirmed that he will be reprising the role of Ray the Firefly for the ride. The news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but it's still great to hear this because he gave a fantastic performance in the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cummings
wow everyone!! I'll meet you all at DisneyLand !! #StayTooned. .
https://twitter.com/Jimcummingsacme/...58960673136641
Old 08-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Splash Mountain has been experiencing some technical difficulties these few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Unfortunate, but Disney has often retired or updated and rebranded attractions in their parks, so I suppose if anything they picked a way to do it that makes the most sense to transition it to.
It's like when Epcot's Maelstrom got re-themed to Frozen. That was obviously done because of the huge popularity of the film.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #13
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

“Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” has now been removed from music loops at Disneyland.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/08/26...ntain-retheme/
Old 08-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Also, Jim Cummings basically confirmed that he will be reprising the role of Ray the Firefly for the ride.
Now that's progress I can get behind!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #15
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Now that's progress I can get behind!
The song "Gonna Take You There" is definitely fitting for the people who will be riding the logs. It would also be nice for them to include "Ma Belle Evangeline".
Old 08-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I don't know why, but I think I remember seeing a commercial for the movie as a kid. It was re-released for a final time back in 1986...I think I remember the Zippity Doo Daa part in the commercial...maybe? It's a shame that Disney in general just didn't use the story characters of Brer Rabbit and the other two. I knew they were storybook characters, but didn't know the history behind them. Seems the stories had good morals and it's deeply rooted in African and African American culture. I just learned this recently. Surprised Disney didn't try to find a way to capitalize on that. They should've just done animated shorts based around Brer Rabbit since there were so many stories for it so at least that way, people would know something about the characters outside of a movie that most modern people have never seen and only know the Zippity Doo Daa song came from it.

That aside, I guess the Princess and the Frog is suitable, but isn't that movie just as...off as Song of the South was? I mean, you have the main character getting along with white folks as if Jim Crow laws weren't a thing at all. Song of the South portrayed slaves as going to work during the day and going home at night as if they're working a 9-5 job, but being paid crap wages and happy to stay in that position and on that level since they know their place. Of course I can only go by assumption since I've never seen the movie myself.
Quote:
“Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah” has now been removed from music loops at Disneyland.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/08/26...ntain-retheme/
Okay, this is ridiculous and petty! There's nothing wrong with the song. It's such a fun song and James Baskett deserves the recognition since he's been gypped for so many years anyway because of the movie itself. Sad that he died pretty young, though. Wonder if he would've gotten more roles.

Last edited by ssjup81; 08-27-2020 at 08:33 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I watch an occasional video from Jon Solo. I thought his coverage of the Brear Rabbit stories were timely.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #18
Sumac
Banned

In Russia we have a saying: "throwing away baby along with the bath water".
This exactly what Disney and other corpoRATions are doing while pandering to mental SJWtards.

In reality, acknowledging that some stuff can be and is problematic would have been sufficient for adult people. But since the core of the complainers are decidedly NOT mentally adult or mentally healthy, for that matter, we have this carpet bombing ****.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #19
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This doesn't make sense whatsoever. Black Panther doesn't fit Disneyland at all. It would be much better suited for Disney California Adventure. The Princess and the Frog works because Disneyland has New Orleans Square and Splash Mountain is near it. Wakanda isn't in America at all. Also, it doesn't fit with Frontierland at Disney World's Magic Kingdom either.

Fans Ask for Splash Mountain Retheme to Honor Chadwick Boseman

Disney Parks even said that they were planning the retheme to The Princess and the Frog since 2019.

Quote:
Today we are thrilled to share a first glimpse of a project Imagineers have been working on since last year. Splash Mountain – at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida – will soon be completely reimagined. The theme is inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog.” We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance.

Tiana is a modern, courageous, and empowered woman, who pursues her dreams and never loses sight of what’s really important. It’s a great story with a strong lead character, set against the backdrop of New Orleans and the Louisiana bayou. In 1966, Walt himself opened New Orleans Square when it became the first new “land” added to Disneyland park, so it feels natural to link the story and the incredible music of “The Princess and the Frog” to our parks.
Splash Mountain to Be Rethemed to ‘Princess and the Frog’!

Last edited by ranger_scout; 10-09-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Well they can insert some tribute to him. I don't have an issue with that.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote