The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-07-2020, 01:02 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"The Last of Us"

Played through all of the original "The Last of Us" game on PS4. Never played it before. Pretty engaging story with super likable characters, even the brief ones. A pretty unique spin on the zombie apocalypse (they're fungus zombies), though probably 80% of the game is fighting other humans. "The Hunters." I don't know what the main character did to make them so mad other than just defend himself in the original encounter, because they're coming at him/you by the truckload. By the end, you have to kill about 600 of them so I'm left to think... "jeeze... the world is in such dire straits... those 600 people could have just gotten their act together, built up a whole new community and left the main character alone. Win win." I'm probably not supposed to ponder that.

Playing Part II now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:47 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This will mean absolutely nothing to anyone that hasn't played it yet... but fighting and killing "The Rat King" (yes, they called it that) in Last of Us 2 was probably the most grueling, stressful thing in remembered video game history for me. I never want to do it ever again, as long as I live.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Yeah, it was pretty intense. If it wasn't for my adrenaline pumping the entire time, I'd never finish that fight.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

I loved both of these games. The stealth mechanics added to the second game, such as being able to go prone, and the advanced a.i. (try playing on survivor) really make for some kick-ass action scenarios.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Finished The Last of Us Part 2 today, actually.

No spoilers, but damn, Ellie is brutal. Not the direction I would expect to go in for what is probably the most popular lesbian/LGBT character in gaming currently.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
No spoilers, but damn, Ellie is brutal.
And Abby is not? Though Ellie's brutality was at least... not totally intentional. At least if you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

Just think, what Ellie did not intentionally... Abby was ready to do 100% intentionally if she hadn't been stopped.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-21-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think it's because we saw Ellie as a 14 year old kid in the first game, so you're not expecting such a drastic change to her character. Abby is a new character and the first thing we see her do in the game is so horrible it makes the majority of the audience hate her, and it's only as the game goes on that your opinion on her changes.

Violence begets violence. It's basically the story of Breaking Bad. You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

As a big fan of the first fame, Abby's actions blew me away! Very impactful compared to most other games I've played. That's without mentioning that I had it somewhat spoiled beforehand.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

I'm gonna be one of those people who supports Abby, just because the voice actress (Laura Bailey) received death threats just for DOING HER JOB.

People get reality and video games mixed and warped up too damn much.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't get too worked up about people on the internet being mean to celebrities. It's a big wahhhhhhh from me. Comes with the job, cry me a river.

But yeah, I figured the game would eventually try and make Abby sympathetic and it did.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't get too worked up about people on the internet being mean to celebrities. It's a big wahhhhhhh from me. Comes with the job, cry me a river.
I know, right? "Ermagerd, people said nasty things to me on my Internet Machine, I'm such a f*cking victim." I get pissed when people are rude to me online, too, but I don't go crying about it to some dirt sheet trying to get a little attention. "Wahhhhhhhh" is right. Probably just trumped up to get more attention on the game, anyway. Like all the "abuse" that chick from Star Wars got that nobody can prove ever happened because it probably never happened.

If you're even a little bit famous, and you expect people to be nice to you on the internet, especially if you're a woman, then congratulations, you're an idiot. We've only had 20 years to get used to the idea that letting people post anonymously online turns every single one of them into a flaming pisshole, yet people still act shocked when it happens. That makes absolutely no sense.

But anyway, yeah, probably just some "socially relevant advertising", anyways. Draw attention to the game and gain some proxy sympathy for a character who some people are gonna be frosty to because of her interaction with the popular character from the previous game. Apparently they knew she might not get a warm response. "Her voice actress got death threats!" Now she's bulletproof, everybody's gotta be nice.

I mean, I'unno, maybe. People are definitely stupid like that. But it was probably blown-up anyway, just because you can't buy that kinda Sympathy Heat nowadays.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If you can find some way to show people you've been victimized in some way, it's like a currency to a group of people nowadays.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:56 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Last of Us: Part 1" (remake of the remaster of Last of Us) coming to PS5:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/last-of...ated-pc-plans/

Old 06-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Modern remakes look so close to the originals I can barely tell a difference.

This isn't like when Resident Evil 1 was remade from Playstation to the Gamecube, as back then the power gap between consoles was huge. Nowadays new consoles have diminishing returns in power, so new games/remakes don't look that much different than the original.

Can you believe the first game came out in 2013? It still looks good today.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah I mean... there's nothing there to remake. Especially since they didn't have any super busty women with big hips for the remake to 'tone down' and 'cover up' cause 'woke'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:02 PM   #16
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

I wish they would port 1 to the PC. I loved 1.

I didn't like 2. I couldnt bring myself to like Abby...at all. I hated every moment of her in the game.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:16 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
I wish they would port 1 to the PC. I loved 1.
They are. It's in the article.

Quote:
I didn't like 2. I couldnt bring myself to like Abby...at all. I hated every moment of her in the game.
I expected to hate her. Ended up liking her just fine.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #18
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

As a oc ganer uan very excuted cant wait to play it!!! And spiderman and uncharted!
Old 11-17-2023, 11:19 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So Last of Us Part II is getting a remastered edition for PS5 on 1/19/24.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-las...r-january-2024

If you already have it for PS4 I guess the upgrade is just $10. Though honestly, my eyes can't really tell much of a difference between Last of Us Part I on PS5, and Last of Us Part II being played on a PS5. The graphics look identical to me.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:06 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only interesting thing is it includes 3 cut "lost levels" in this, but they're not in the main game so I assume they're still uncompleted or else they would have integrated them into the main story. I guess they might be fun to play through, assuming they're fully playable.