The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you keep/have you ever kept a diary?

Lots of people keep diaries. From personal ones to work related ones. The cliché associated with diaries is that it's mostly teenage girls who keep them, but I'm sure lots of grown women and men keep them as well.

I've attempted to keep a diary before but didn't have the patience to update it, so I'd write two entries and then say "screw this". The thing is, I've always liked to read and write, so I wrote a lot on notebooks but it was stories and random stuff I imagined.

While there's probably lots of interesting diaries out there, I've never felt like my life was interesting enough for me to keep logs on what I've been doing every day. And bad memories are best to be forgotten over time, I'd say.

So what about you? Do you keep a diary? And if not, have you ever kept one or wish to in the future? And have you ever allowed anyone to read it or read an entry or two of it? Or did your parents ever find it out and read things they should not have read?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Pretty much only in 2006 and 2007, in a Myst journal. And multiple different pens.

It's pretty funny to read, since I was trying to emulate the writing style of the Myst game journals.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
ToTheNines
[sic]

Back in 2011. Very young in a serious relationship that ended abruptly and turned into a super toxic on again/off again, with long periods of alcohol abuse in between.

It's a very therapeutic way to get your thoughts out, for what ever reason. And when you go back and read it later you can laugh at yourself for being a bitch lol.

I wish I still had time to keep up on such a thing, maybe I'll try harder to make time.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Back in 2011. Very young in a serious relationship that ended abruptly and turned into a super toxic on again/off again, with long periods of alcohol abuse in between.

It's a very therapeutic way to get your thoughts out, for what ever reason. And when you go back and read it later you can laugh at yourself for being a bitch lol.

I wish I still had time to keep up on such a thing, maybe I'll try harder to make time.
Damn that sounds like some heavy baggage. Sorta makes me glad I wasn't getting into relationships when I was a teenager and in my early 20s, although I suppose having a crappy relationship or two is part of growing up.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Damn that sounds like some heavy baggage. Sorta makes me glad I wasn't getting into relationships when I was a teenager and in my early 20s, although I suppose having a crappy relationship or two is part of growing up.
Yeah man, live and learn. Like I said, I look back and laugh now.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah man, live and learn. Like I said, I look back and laugh now.
I look back at my 16-19 and 20-23 days and regret not taking more risks, tbh. I spent a lot of time doing nothing on my free time.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Yeah, I used to keep a dairy, but I hardly wrote in it.

Then I found out that talking to people remains a better catharsis for me, versus writing my problems / thoughts. So, I sought after a few decent mentors.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
Stephen
Hench Mutant

I kept one as a 14 year-old. (It's still around somewhere) I didn't write anything particularly personal in it, in case it got read by anyone else in my family.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I've on and off kept all kinds of journals/diary type things. As a kid I had one of those with the little locks on them, and even though I don't have the diary any more I still have the key somewhere. I didn't actually write anything that secret in it, I just thought it was cool to have a lock on my ****.

In High School I filled up like five journals worth because I intermixed journal entries with personal writing, and I wrote a lot in my spare time. I still have all of those journals

What I wrote in any of that **** was never consistent except whenever I had a noteworthy dream it got written down in whatever I was writing stuff down in. I've never had an individual "dream journal" for them because I don't think it'd get used.

Right now I don't technically have anything I'm using as a diary but I do still have a secret journal or three of written work I keep to myself. I write small pieces for it a few times a week. All of it's online now, so I don't have to worry about not being able to locate a ****in book. That was always a huge problem I had with physical diaries.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #10
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

I tried to but I didn't stick to it. Now I have an on/off dream journal because my dreams are very inspiring for writing stories.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I had a couple in my early teens, but I mostly bought them cause they where Nemi Merchandise.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #12
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I tried keeping diaries a few times, but would always lose interest in writing stuff down in them after a while. I prefer writing memories down in notebooks. I think it's a good way of reflecting on things and then moving on.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The funny things with diaries are how they were so secret. Then came the Internet and now everyone tells about their private lives.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I kept one for years and years since I was like 16 in my computer in a hidden directory with no file extensions. I ported it over from hard drive to hard drive, until one day the latest hard drive it was on failed. I didn't keep any backups, so that was that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #15
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I kept one for years and years since I was like 16 in my computer in a hidden directory with no file extensions. I ported it over from hard drive to hard drive, until one day the latest hard drive it was on failed. I didn't keep any backups, so that was that.
Yeah, I remember trying to keep one when I was thirteen on my computer. I've still got it and it's really cringing to look back upon. lol
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote