The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #721
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I forgot, but weren't there force using Troopers before?

Something like Shadow Troopers
Dark Troopers in Dark Forces, you mean? Nothing to do with the Force, I think.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #722
Xav
Foot Elite

Shadow Troopers were enemies in Jedi Outcast. They were Dark Jedi in black Stormtrooper armor.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #723
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Shadow Troopers were enemies in Jedi Outcast. They were Dark Jedi in black Stormtrooper armor.
Oh, OK. None of that is canon anymore. Not that it ever really was.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 AM   #724
Xav
Foot Elite

Yeah I don't really care what's "canon". I'll still take the Dark Forces saga over Disney Star Wars, any day of the week.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #725
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah I don't really care what's "canon". I'll still take the Dark Forces saga over Disney Star Wars, any day of the week.
I feel you. But the EU is a whole barrel full of... I don't want to say nonsense, but... a whole lot of stuff. That doesn't really work well when stacked up together. Some gems, mired by a whole lot of... other stuff. And more stuff. And even more stuff. And probably more drama than your average daytime soap, pound for pound. I don't mind it being jettisoned when episodes VII-IX were made into being... I only mind that they were jettisoned for something of so lesser quality. Or no quality.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #726
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

As a fan of the original trilogy (despite i have some big problems with Return of the Jedi but still good sequel and the last good SW film) for 33 years since i was 4 and enjoyed the Dark Horse comics and sequel books, i was let down by the prequels and the new movies as sometimes you can't strike lightning in a bottle twice and i wish George should had hired writers and directors to the prequels as George is much of a visual artist and idea man than director despite he did good in the first star wars called Star Wars (1977) but had someone rewrote his script for that movie by Willard Hyuck and Gloria Katz as people saw the script and said his dialogue is bad as he hired those 2 fellows to rewrite the script and even hired people to write Empire and Jedi despite he did co-write Jedi as he added the "Leia being Luke's sister" and Ewoks thing in the script.

The Last Jedi is the last stand for me for Star Wars.

It ripped out Star Wars' soul. The Last Jedi is a boring, wretchedly written, bitchslap in the face to the original trilogy and the new trilogy. It was Empire(And parts of ROTJ) without a heart. A total disappointment.

And there is no going back from this. It's actions and TFA's have made everything that the characters from the original trilogy fought for? Completely pointless. It turned Han and Luke into utter failures and made them a disgrace. Especially Luke. The way his character was written and portrayed in this film was pathetic and insulting.

**** the Last Jedi. It isn't Star Wars at all. It lacks the heart, the imagination and the wonder that made the franchise loved by so many. And it is an utter disrespectful travesty to all that have come before it. It is so ****** that it is surreal.

It offers nothing but misery, bland visuals, cringe-inducing lines of dialogue("You're scum. ... "Rebel Scum".), pathetic attempts at humor(Those Porgs which are as bad as Gunguns and Ewoks), forgettable action sequences, idiotic writing, and beyond boring pacing. Easily the worst film of the year 2017 for me personally and without a doubt the most infuriating.

Star Wars has no hope now. It has been lost in the path that The Last Jedi has chosen to take. Lost forever to never be seen again, just like the Jedi that returned all those years ago.

The Last Jedi is the new Alien 3. It will continue to have people defend it and say it is some amazing film that breaks new ground, while other fans of the franchise will say otherwise and mourn the loss of a franchise they held so dear.

Hence why there are so many articles and videos saying The Last Jedi is really some nuanced brilliant film and that people just didn't get it's genius and that it is underrated and that the idea of "letting the past die" and committing franchise suicide was ballsy and something that should be commended.

While people like myself are shaking their heads, and not understanding at all why anyone would be defending let alone downright praising such garbage. And despite all of the problems I do have with Alien 3? Even that movie is a better film than The Last Jedi is.

But it suffers from the same problem that The Last Jedi does. It has no respect for the films that came before it or for the franchise as a whole. In it's attempts to be shocking it rips the heart and soul out of the franchise and kills it.

Neither franchise to me will ever be the same. And The Last Jedi is just the next victim of the decision to break away so hard and fast from the past that the future dies along with it. Because both franchises will be trying in vain to make up for their mistakes with each new installment that gets released. Alien has been doing that since Alien 3 and now Star Wars will follow suit. Aliens to me was the last good Alien film and it and Alien are the only films worth a damn.

Luckily the strike against Disney star wars has began as Solo bombed luckily as i have no desire to see that, any spinoff movie or episode 9 as i'm burnt out on Star Wars to only stick to the original trilogy and i'm boycotting Disney Star Wars, luckily also the Star Wars land in Disneyland flopped too as i guess Last Jedi killed it for some fans and audiences.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #727
Sumac
Banned

Alien 3 had great director and had a coherent story.

Last Jedi was few impressive moments tied by one of the most idiotic and stupid plots I've seen in blockbuster + boring beyond believe protagonists.
Arrogant director and marketing made it even worse.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #728
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think we all feel in a similar way, I still hope this last movie can redeem the movies somewhat. Still I think this will be the last time I'm ever this into Star Wars no matter how well Disney handles it from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, OK. None of that is canon anymore. Not that it ever really was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Some gems, mired by a whole lot of... other stuff. And more stuff. And even more stuff
True, but so much great content there, for a more casual EU person, you could get some great stories. It's only when you dwelled deep into the EU where things were ridiculous as a whole. It really was best to take the few stories that worked for you and ignore the rest.

A shame Disney's EU couldn't just take that as a blueprint on what worked and what didn't to rebuild the EU, instead it's pretty much the same ridiculousness only without baggage and amazing stories.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #729
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This suggest there is a rejected concept from the Extended Universe cannon that allows Luke to go back and forth between the living. Take it as you will.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #730
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
This suggest there is a rejected concept from the Extended Universe cannon that allows Luke to go back and forth between the living. Take it as you will.
If it's what I think, TECHNICALLY he did.

He was able to traverse his SPIRIT into a realm halfway between the living and dead... this was, he was able to easier communicate with spirits of his wife, Mara Jade, and 'darth cadeas' in a pool of spirits.. but it was rather dangerous for him to go there.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #731
snake
Disgusting

Disney would never use

1. An EU concept

2. A somewhat new or interesting concept or application of force powers

These movies are cut and dry, plain as that. My prediction that literally nothing will happen in 9 just like literally nothing happened in 7/8 still stands.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #732
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Disney would never use

1. An EU concept

2. A somewhat new or interesting concept or application of force powers

These movies are cut and dry, plain as that. My prediction that literally nothing will happen in 9 just like literally nothing happened in 7/8 still stands.
I could see them bringing back Luke as damage control after the reaction to TLJ as a whole. Honestly, my biggest worry with IX is that after audience response to TLJ and box office dwindling of Solo, they'll play this one extremely safe, even more than TFA was. Abrams being back in the director's chair doesn't help that either.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #733
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I don't know if its one those things where you see what you want type things because of all of the middle fingers that Johnson gave us, killing Luke is the one thing I cannot get past. I want Luke alive and will give Johnson the rest, but would this going between planes work and not take away from anything? Like I said its wishful thinking, but I was not aware of an extended universe concept where it was possible.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #734
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Disney would never use

1. An EU concept
You mean like Leia and Han having a son who falls to the Dark Side?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #735
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
You mean like Leia and Han having a son who falls to the Dark Side?
If they wanted to use Jacen Solo, they would’ve flat out used him. They striped that concept of all nuance, importance, and depth- creating Kylo- a bootleg Jacen Solo that still somehow manages to be the most interesting thing in these sh*tty ass movies.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #736
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I don't know if its one those things where you see what you want type things because of all of the middle fingers that Johnson gave us, killing Luke is the one thing I cannot get past. I want Luke alive and will
Luke was probably going to die either way. I'm not sure why people are so against Luke dying, he's like 60 years old or whatever.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #737
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Luke was probably going to die either way. I'm not sure why people are so against Luke dying, he's like 60 years old or whatever.
It’s less Luke dying and more Luke dying amidst being shat on as a character and a giant middle finger being given to the OT’s themes and story.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #738
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
It’s less Luke dying and more Luke dying amidst being shat on as a character and a giant middle finger being given to the OT’s themes and story.
Yes, this.I assumed that he would die, but in the climax of Episode 9. Its the way he went out, projecting himself draining his life force.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #739
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

RedLetterMedia made a prediction video about the episode IX, and one of their theories is it will have a time travel element that resets everything. But what if Luke's force ghost goes back in time to impregnate his grandma to give birth to Anakin? Would that be stupid enough?

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #740
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
RedLetterMedia made a prediction video about the episode IX
I watched it. I don't think any of that is coming true.