The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
I'm on a break from most superhero comics. They just haven't appealed to me much lately.
I pick up TMNT, Saga, The Wicked and the Divine, Shutter, Nailbiter, and Rat Queens. Lots of good stories out there.
Oh yeah; Saga, Nailbiter, Rat Queens... those are all awesome.

Check out "Postal", too; that's some good stuff. And "Chew", LOVE "Chew."
Old 04-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #22
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PangolinFeets View Post
I'm on a break from most superhero comics. They just haven't appealed to me much lately.
I pick up TMNT, Saga, The Wicked and the Divine, Shutter, Nailbiter, and Rat Queens. Lots of good stories out there.
i think the problem with most Superhero comics is it's ALL quantity and ZERO Quality!!!

you may find some decent stories here and there?
but mostly you'll be lucky you can read it once let alone many times?

i'll have to check some of those series you mentioned out.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #23
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Oh yeah; Saga, Nailbiter, Rat Queens... those are all awesome.

Check out "Postal", too; that's some good stuff. And "Chew", LOVE "Chew."
been hearing very good things about chew!!!

i also read The Walking Dead.

but i sold all my books and converted to digital for that series.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've been completely done with DC for about a year now. I may check in when this "Rebirth" business happens just to see if they've learned their lesson... but it's the exact same f*cktards holding the reins as have been in charge for every crap decision of the past 10 years so I have absolutely no faith that they have.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i think the problem with most Superhero comics is it's ALL quantity and ZERO Quality!!!

you may find some decent stories here and there?
but mostly you'll be lucky you can read it once let alone many times?

i'll have to check some of those series you mentioned out.
I most highly recommend "Chew"... it's my absolute favorite. "Rat Queens" is second favorite, and is not my absolute simply because creative changes led to a drop in quality. Still better than anything from DC or Marvel, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've been completely done with DC for about a year now. I may check in when this "Rebirth" business happens just to see if they've learned their lesson... but it's the exact same f*cktards holding the reins as have been in charge for every crap decision of the past 10 years so I have absolutely no faith that they have.
It's like the big two of comics occasionally release good stories only by accident.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #26
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
'Leviathan Strikes' was just the segment in-between (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman Inc #8 and (New 52) Batman Inc #1.

if i'm remembering the article i read about it correctly 'Leviathan Strikes' was originally supposed to be Batman Inc issues #9 & #10, and (New 52) Batman Inc should have actually been issue #11 (and so on)

but that whole stupid New 52 reboot postponed Batman Inc and had it renumbered.

the same exact thing happened with Neal Adams 'Batman Odyssey.
all of this proves is that DC has idiots running the show!!!

how is a casual comic reader supposed to understand any of this garbage with renumbering?

you did wise to drop New 52 'Batman' and 'Detective Comics'!!!!!

the first arc with Batman was decent at first but overstayed it's welcome.
that whole story with the Joker cutting his face off was beyond asinine!!!

don't even get me started on 'Zero Year'!!!

and Detective comics was just trash since the start!!!
the art was pretty! but actually reading the comics could cause severe brain damage! that's partly why i am the way i am today!!!

I feel that the New 52 was a perfect jump off point not on point. I am getting Batgirl, but the only reason is to support my preference of who is under the cowl. Nothing more.

Somehow the sales maintained what it was during Morrison's run and Dick Grayson as Batman just after. It was extended it was so successful, but this Court of The Owls cut it off and Dick was back to directionless and Bruce lost his edge. I don't understand how it was sales success, but I am in the minority. I loved the direction from Batman#672 on to #713. A few complaints, but all are minor. Since my direction was cut off without explanation I dropped it and never looked back. Court of the Owls and Bruce may or may not have a brother and then Joker cutting his face off... I thought the mad scientist turning out to be an agent of Darkseid was weird enough. Its simply took something I was enjoying and meddled messing it up. It did not look appealing at all to my specific interest so I did not continue with the renumber successor volume. I think it was the right thing to do for myself.

Green Lantern did not need to be renumbered and tinkered with. Flash was being forced down our throats and took the blame for ruining everything which I would assumed backfired and made people hate Barry instead of embrace him. I always preferred Wally and always will even if I am a Hal Jordan fan. Didio need to be transferred to the television division where he actually has some success unlike comics. That way he won't have to interact with people as well. He is not a people person and cannot be an ambassador for the projects. There is a reason its Geoff and Jim that typically fill that role not Dan and Jim.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

If only more people would allow DC and Marvel to crash and burn, we'd all be better off.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #28
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

That would be a terrible idea.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
That would be a terrible idea.
In the paraphrased yet still immortal words of our leaders: "DC and Marvel are too big to fail!"
Old 04-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

The way I see it, almost every good DC or Marvel story has already been told. Some of these characters have been around for 75 years. There's only so many things you can do with characters who don't physically age much because they're intended to be around forever. And whenever they do change something drastically they always retcon it anyway a few years later.

The problem with DC/Marvel is they're endless, nothing ever builds to a conclusion. But then when things go on too long they do their soft-reboots anyway making everything you just read feel pointless. Reading something that has no ending in sight has to sting.

Let's face it, Batman, Superman, Spiderman and X-men will still be around 50 years from now. The next 50 years worth of comics will just be further slight variations of already done work, reboots, and so forth.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem with DC/Marvel is they're endless, nothing ever builds to a conclusion. But then when things go on too long they do their soft-reboots anyway making everything you just read feel pointless. Reading something that has no ending in sight has to sting.
They don't need to do that. I don't mind mild retcons that are organic enough (for example, there's only so many decades that can pass in real life before no, the Punisher could not be a Vietnam vet anymore)... but there's something really cool about picking up a comic from the 70s, and you know, it's like... "Chapter 103" of a character's story, and you pick up a copy of the same comic in the 2010s, and it's like, "Chapter 550." That's cool, it makes things seem like an ongoing tapestry that's always growing and developing. It also makes for fascinating discussion and debate. It's only confusing if you're a hack editor that doesn't want to do his job, or are a lazy writer. This is an age of Wikipedia, after all.

It just seems that in 2016, it's much easier for the Disney-run Marvel or the WB-run DC to hire cheap new hack writers than actual talent, doing "Big Events" and "Reboots" and powers-changing or new costumes or "Guess which established character will be GAY next month?" instead of doing actual compelling stories or storytelling. They have like no faith in the audience that an actual solid story will be a selling point on its own.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #32
myconius
Abby Normal

Andrew NDB - the problem with Rebirth is it's still taking place within the New 52 continuity. when i read the solicits and saw that the stories were picking up right were they left off i said to myself "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"
having collected many of the New 52 series since issue #1 if i had to do it all over again, i'd have only gotten Batman Inc to complete Morrison's run, and probably the Tomasi/Gleason Batman & Robin.

CylonsKlingons - is Chew one of those series it's best to start at #1?
or can you pick up at any point?
as far as DC or Marvel occasionally releasing a good story by accident, i attribute that to the selling of one's soul.

MikeandRaph87 - that's exactly how i feel with Rebirth. jump ship while the jumping's good!!!
i was buying Batgirl just because i love Babs as Batgirl, but it had gotten SO awful i just couldn't take it anymore!!!
Grant Morrison's run on Batman was the BEST thing to happen to the series in YEARS!!!
i only liked the books he was writing for directly. didn't care for the other writers that took over after him, except for Tomasi on Batman & Robin.

CyberCubed - i'm beginning to agree with you, though i don't think it'll ever happen?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Andrew NDB - the problem with Rebirth is it's still taking place within the New 52 continuity
Well, from what I gather... there is some kind of "secret" that has a revelation in Rebirth, that sort of makes everyone in the New52 remember their pre-Flashpoint histories, or parts of them. Or something.

Which is kind of odd... will, like, Wally West "remember" he was a white, red-headed man and un-become a black youth?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #34
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
It just seems that in 2016, it's much easier for the Disney-run Marvel or the WB-run DC to hire cheap new hack writers than actual talent, doing "Big Events" and "Reboots" and powers-changing or new costumes or "Guess which established character will be GAY next month?" instead of doing actual compelling stories or storytelling. They have like no faith in the audience that an actual solid story will be a selling point on its own.
AMEN!!!!!! that's exactly why i'm bailing out!! the New 52 writing was horrible!!!
and now they're forcing the cheap new hack writers to squeeze out their sub-par stories twice a month!!!

expect trash!!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Well, from what I gather... there is some kind of "secret" that has a revelation in Rebirth, that sort of makes everyone in the New52 remember their pre-Flashpoint histories, or parts of them. Or something.

Which is kind of odd... will, like, Wally West "remember" he was a white, red-headed man and un-become a black youth?
I was wondering the exact same thing myself.

Quote:
CylonsKlingons - is Chew one of those series it's best to start at #1?
Yes, you absolutely have to start at Issue #1. BUT this is a story with a definitive beginning, middle, and end, and we are almost finished... I think less than ten issues left.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #36
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:

HAHAHAHA!!!! excellent point!!!!!
i can already tell this is going to be a BIG HOT Steamy MESS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I was wondering the exact same thing myself.

Yes, you absolutely have to start at Issue #1. BUT this is a story with a definitive beginning, middle, and end, and we are almost finished... I think less than ten issues left.
YIKES!!!!!!

maybe i'll have to wait till there's a digital sale or something?

i guess for now i'll just stick with IDW Tmnt ongoing and any other mini-series they put out?

right now i'm happier than ever that i kept Amazing Adventures on my pull-list!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #37
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
HAHAHAHA!!!! excellent point!!!!!
i can already tell this is going to be a BIG HOT Steamy MESS!!!!!

YIKES!!!!!!

maybe i'll have to wait till there's a digital sale or something?

i guess for now i'll just stick with IDW Tmnt ongoing and any other mini-series they put out?

right now i'm happier than ever that i kept Amazing Adventures on my pull-list!
Were you a MMPR fan growing up? Boom has a new series modernizing the original six. It will probably be better than the movie that is currently filming.

Star Wars erased its original 110 issue run (1978-1986) run and is replacing it with a pretty good run so far 17 issues in. If you are a fan of the original trilogy it is worth checking out.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #38
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Were you a MMPR fan growing up? Boom has a new series modernizing the original six. It will probably be better than the movie that is currently filming.

Star Wars erased its original 110 issue run (1978-1986) run and is replacing it with a pretty good run so far 17 issues in. If you are a fan of the original trilogy it is worth checking out.
i was never really a power ranger fan. but i do like the quality over at Boom Studios.

i've been reading Boom Studio's 'Klaus' by Grant Morrison, and i've been enjoying it quite a bit.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...m-studios-2015

shame it's only a mini-series, but i'd much rather have quality over quantity!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #39
theclaw
Mouser

What was so wrong with pre-Crisis and post-Crisis? You had a multiverse defining story a generation of readers could jump on or off at. Think of how long it'd take to read every New 52 #1 to have any hope of understanding it.

To be honest though, the only comic I'd say I truly followed was Sonic the Hedgehog. Pretty sure what finally made me give up was around the time they turned around and said stuff like "the planet is Earth after all!".
theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #40
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only comics I read are TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo.
you need to read more

Tags
dc comics, reboot