The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thanks for chiming in, Bobby!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The ridiculous premise?
Isn't that same "ridiculous premise" also the reason why the franchise ended up being more successful than Eastman and Laird could have possibly imagined?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #23
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
My two cents, which will probably sound defensive, but not my intention:

Most everything said above is accurate. But I'll also add that Walking Dead and Saga are exceptions, as they are written by two of the most talented/influential creators of the last 15-20 years. Those books have caught fire in a way that is really rare.

Other than that... we're at issue #74. I can't think of another book outside of the Walking Dead that has been around as long, charting as high, without restarting with a new #1 (or returning to legacy numbering which doesn't count!). I'm sure even without renumbering things like Batman and Spider Man and some others would chart higher, but hopefully the general point makes sense. The popularity of TMNT is what has kept us afloat all this time. I mean, I think we do a good job and everything, but I think a large part of that longevity is due to the brand.

I'm sure we'd get a good sales boost in the short term from a new #1, but our sales level has been consistent so it hasn't made sense to do that. And we don't have big time "names" on our books. (Kevin sorta counts, but I doubt the average comic book reader really knows who he is-- he's not a major draw outside the world of TMNT). If Brian K. Vaughn wrote some TMNT, our numbers would go up I'm sure.

In short, let's see where something like Seven to Eternity is in two years. There's been a lot of books that have charted higher that have come and gone in the six years we've been on the stands.

Other than that, I think it's just a matter of TMNT not being around as long, or as visible in the comics medium as consistently as something like X-men or Batman. TMNT has been around for 30+ years, but there's a good chunk of time in those years where TMNT comics were not getting wide distribution. So it makes sense that the fanbase isn't as wide as something like X-men.
Very insightful. It's great to have the perspective of someone in the industry! The superb fan engagement and approachability is also a factor in the longevity of the current TMNT run. Thanks for taking time out of your day to weigh in.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #24
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Isn't that same "ridiculous premise" also the reason why the franchise ended up being more successful than Eastman and Laird could have possibly imagined?
Yup. The very same.

It's said with love!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #25
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I never realized until today that Saga has won the Eisner award for four out of the last five years in the Best Continuing Series category. TMNT needs more recognition. A nomination would be nice at least. A five-member panel making decisions seems kinda small.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

IDW does deserve recognition for their quality consistency with this series. It hasn't pulled me in lately, but watching the industry as a whole, it's really easy to respect what they are doing with the turtle property. I'd still like to see them free of Nickelodeon though.

That said, it's my hope to see some big names write some tmnt stories for IDW. The kind that would bring in the big numbers. There's so many writers and artists working today for Image, Marvel, and DC that I would be absolutely hyped to hear are collaborating with IDW on the turtles.

Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Gerard Way, Jonathan Hickman, Dan Slott, Rick Remender, Jerome Opena, Greg Capullo, John Romita Jr, Paul Pope, Frank Miller, Jason Aaron. Yeah, these are all very large requests but TMNT deserve it. At least in some type of anniversary or special event. I'm not saying it's really possible for IDW to get these artists though - just wishing.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #27
ToTheNines
[sic]

Rick Remender did several Tales back in the day.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #28
pferreira
Foot Elite

I don't think it really has anything to do with the FW cartoon. I think the problem is that as a comic TMNT has always been relatively niche compared to other big hitters like Batman and Spider-Man. TMNT started as an underground comic and I guess that reputation has unintentionally carried over the years, not allowing the stuff produced from getting a bigger audience.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Rick Remender did several Tales back in the day.
True. I think it'd be great now because he never writes anything without a superb artist drawing it, he has more experience, and possibly more wiggle-room/creative freedom, given his reputation.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #30
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I don't think it really has anything to do with the FW cartoon.
Of course you don't.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #31
Bruz
Random Punk

TMNT as a comic series doesn’t have a great history for modern readers to base off of.

Vol. 1’s main storyline, more specifically the E&L issues, were awesome. But the guest issues often sucked or were too weird, and the storyline was all over the place.
Vol. 2 was short and “eh”
Vol. 3 was typical ridiculous over the top Image stuff
Vol. 4 was “eh”
Archie was targeting children

IDW is the first to create an awesome series with a consistent ongoing story from the first issue onward. I just don’t think enough people gave it a chance based on its history.

Just my theory and personal opinion.
Bruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Archie series was actually the best selling TMNT comic consistently. It coming out during the height of the TMNT fad and kids who watched the show reading it obviously helped.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #33
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
people that don't contribute to sales (buying the comics physically or digitally) hurt the numbers.

that and greedy tactics from the big two squeezing every nickel and dime from their readers is a factor, i'd imagine.

would have also been a good push if we'd gotten a better set of movies in the theatre upon the last film reboot.