The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Recommmend A Comic

I thought I would set up a thread for posters to ask for reading recommendations based on interest or help figuring out a comic that he/she is thinking about but cannot place. To start off I am looking for a story that has Hal Jordan and Wally West work together showing their relationship. What out there in comicdom showcases Hal and Wally together?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
To start off I am looking for a story that has Hal Jordan and Wally West work together showing their relationship. What out there in comicdom showcases Hal and Wally together?
Only story I can recommend from memory is the "Gorilla Warfare" crossover between their two books. It occurs in Flash vol.2 #69-70 and Green Lantern vol.3 #30-31.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Only story I can recommend from memory is the "Gorilla Warfare" crossover between their two books. It occurs in Flash vol.2 #69-70 and Green Lantern vol.3 #30-31.
Grodd and Hector Hammond, during Hal's tenure with JLI, huh? About a year and a half before Kyle and the Parallax fiasco. Sounds interesting. I was looking for their specific interaction as Kid Flash/Green Lantern, Flash III/Green Lantern, Flash III/Spectre II, but yes their interaction as Flash III and Green Lantern is the one I am most interested in. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i recommend finish reading Grant Morrison's Batman Incorporated.

you're SO close to the finish line!!!!

Old 06-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I will put it on the back burner for now. I still need to finish Batman#1 and 2 stories. Still have Hugo's 3rd appearance and the two stories from #2 to read as well.

I recommend Detective Comics #434 & 435 as well as Batman#276.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/detect...n/4000-112708/

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_276

You know how to track them down.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

One of my favorite comics

I love it. And it's still breaking the top 10 lists for the New York Times best graphic novels.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 06-05-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
I will put it on the back burner for now. I still need to finish Batman#1 and 2 stories. Still have Hugo's 3rd appearance and the two stories from #2 to read as well.

I recommend Detective Comics #434 & 435 as well as Batman#276.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/detect...n/4000-112708/

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_276

You know how to track them down.
for now i just read all the stories within Batman #1.
i may want to re-read a few parts of that issue before heading into #2?

i'll definitely had to read those spook stories you recommended to me!
thanks again for that!
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Has anyone read Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul(2008 )? I was wondering if it was any good? I have the run surrounding it but usually avoided story arcs that weave through multiple titles.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Has anyone read Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul(2008 )? I was wondering if it was any good? I have the run surrounding it but usually avoided story arcs that weave through multiple titles.
I liked it; the TPB did a good job of collecting the stories.

Damian, Dick, Tim, and I think Cassandra was in it... good story.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #10
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
One of my favorite comics
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e-complete.jpg
I love it. And it's still breaking the top 10 lists for the New York Times best graphic novels.
Agreed. Bone is just awesome.

I also think you guys should check out Scott Pilgrim if you haven't yet. It's an amazing series that gets better with every read. A perfect blend of comedy, action, romance, slice-of-life, video games, everything and then some. It's also one of my biggest inspirations, because of this series and others, I decided I wanted to make my own comic series one day, something I'm still working towards and it's all thanks to this wonderful series.

Seriously, check it out.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

There are a pair of mini-series I am looking for opinions on, Spider-Man : Blue and Secret Wars.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
There are a pair of mini-series I am looking for opinions on, Spider-Man : Blue and Secret Wars.
Original Secret Wars or New?
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Original Secret Wars or New?
Original. I am reading back issues of Amazing Spider-Man. I picked up with #249 and Secret Wars picks up after the first storyarc.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Original. I am reading back issues of Amazing Spider-Man. I picked up with #249 and Secret Wars picks up after the first storyarc.
Well, what about it? I've read it, I liked it a lot, but I read it as a kid in the old longboxes my uncle used to have. I loved the scope of the storyline and it left a big impression on me. As far as Spider-Man goes it was neat to see the origin of the black suit. I'd recommend it, it's a fun read if you're a fan of that era of comics.

Regarding the new Secret Wars, I think it consisted of a lot more comics than the old one and I never got around to reading all of the tie-ins some of them were pretty good, depending on what series you're into. Some of the effects of the new Secret Wars are still being felt, like the aftermath of Reed and Sue Richards' disappearance and Ben and Johnny's search for them through the multiverse.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Well, what about it? I've read it, I liked it a lot, but I read it as a kid in the old longboxes my uncle used to have. I loved the scope of the storyline and it left a big impression on me. As far as Spider-Man goes it was neat to see the origin of the black suit. I'd recommend it, it's a fun read if you're a fan of that era of comics.

Regarding the new Secret Wars, I think it consisted of a lot more comics than the old one and I never got around to reading all of the tie-ins some of them were pretty good, depending on what series you're into. Some of the effects of the new Secret Wars are still being felt, like the aftermath of Reed and Sue Richards' disappearance and Ben and Johnny's search for them through the multiverse.
Not interested in Secret Wars II. It just plays a part in my chronological reading of the Amazing Spider-Man title. I was curious what else happens aside from Spider-Man stumbling upon the alien symbiote in his part of the story. There is too much going on in the Amazing title at that time as it is.

Also, what is Spider-Man: Blue exactly about? I know it has a reflection on Gwen Stacey, but do not know much else about it.

Myconius, did you ever get around to The Spook stories? He truly is the most overlooked Bat Rogue.

Anyone else who is looking for a comic or opinion(s) on one please use this thread. That is what it is here for!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #16
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Myconius, did you ever get around to The Spook stories? He truly is the most overlooked Bat Rogue.
yes i did. very cool stories. thank you!

what era would you classify those as? Silver-Age?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
yes i did. very cool stories. thank you!

what era would you classify those as? Silver-Age?
The Silver Age and Bronze Age really run together for me, its Earth-One era. However, Spook's 1973-1983 run is Bronze Age. I don't understand why 20 1/2 years passed and he got an appearance stating he cant adapt to the current world and three years later he is fodder for Damien without his gimmick being played up. The Spook is in need of a dusting off. I just want respect given to a deadly adversary.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #18
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
The Silver Age and Bronze Age really run together for me, its Earth-One era. However, Spook's 1973-1983 run is Bronze Age. I don't understand why 20 1/2 years passed and he got an appearance stating he cant adapt to the current world and three years later he is fodder for Damien without his gimmick being played up. The Spook is in need of a dusting off. I just want respect given to a deadly adversary.
a lot of characters from other eras never get picked up and dusted off.
much of this i feel has to do with the audience. as i was reading those stories with The Spook, i found them very fun but i also had to really stretch my suspension of disbelief. some of the events in the stories were just really outrageous, to being near impossible.
but i can appreciate and enjoy those types of wacky stories. many of today's comic readers just seem to want dark grim and gritty edgy stories.
but you know as well as i, if they ever did bring The Spook back he'd just be redone as a slasher/psychopath.
just look at what Tom King did to Riddler.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
a lot of characters from other eras never get picked up and dusted off.
much of this i feel has to do with the audience. as i was reading those stories with The Spook, i found them very fun but i also had to really stretch my suspension of disbelief. some of the events in the stories were just really outrageous, to being near impossible.
but i can appreciate and enjoy those types of wacky stories. many of today's comic readers just seem to want dark grim and gritty edgy stories.
but you know as well as i, if they ever did bring The Spook back he'd just be redone as a slasher/psychopath.
just look at what Tom King did to Riddler.
Its funny what has been done with The Riddler in recent years. First he was made a coward and shaved a question mark into his head and had a question mark tattoo on his neck. Then it was forgotten immediately. Then he he had a green question mark mowhawk. Then after a one-off it disappears. Now, a question mark bullet scar? I just learned on Gotham Rogues channel that he was not fighting over who got to kill Batman with The Joker, but was trying to make a better Joker by killing Kite-Man's son so Brown who beat Riddler causing Joker to laugh? I don't get it, what a stretch at that. Eddie is my favorite.

I don't know about The Spook, but I think mysteries could be based around him, a lost aspect of Batman. I thought he could have escaped Damien considering his M.O. or even have become a true Spook, like Gentleman Ghost. Its high time for him to do something. If Calendar Man and even Kite-Man can be something why not him?

I read up to Amazing Spider-Man#268 which ties into Secret Wars II. I did not realize it was only a year or so later. I think I will read through ASM#270 then go back and read Secret Wars.

What are the thoughts on Spider-Man:Blue?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:42 AM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Its funny what has been done with The Riddler in recent years. First he was made a coward and shaved a question mark into his head and had a question mark tattoo on his neck. Then it was forgotten immediately. Then he he had a green question mark mowhawk. Then after a one-off it disappears. Now, a question mark bullet scar? I just learned on Gotham Rogues channel that he was not fighting over who got to kill Batman with The Joker, but was trying to make a better Joker by killing Kite-Man's son so Brown who beat Riddler causing Joker to laugh? I don't get it, what a stretch at that. Eddie is my favorite.

I don't know about The Spook, but I think mysteries could be based around him, a lost aspect of Batman. I thought he could have escaped Damien considering his M.O. or even have become a true Spook, like Gentleman Ghost. Its high time for him to do something. If Calendar Man and even Kite-Man can be something why not him?

I read up to Amazing Spider-Man#268 which ties into Secret Wars II. I did not realize it was only a year or so later. I think I will read through ASM#270 then go back and read Secret Wars.

What are the thoughts on Spider-Man:Blue?
i just think most comic writers these days aren't clever or creative enough to properly handle Riddler.
trying to turn him into something edgy like a slasher or straight up murderer is a complete disrespect to his character. last good Riddler story i read was in the 2011 relaunch of 'Legends of the Dark Knight' it was a short story, but it did what it needed to.

so MikeandRaph87, did you ever get to finish reading Batman Incorporated?