The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 11-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #21
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The Shell Shocked Podcast, which you can listen to here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...584706376?mt=2

But here's a transcript of some of it:
https://nymonsters.wordpress.com/201...t-open-thread/
We would have to wait with this series, but from what we've seen of Mona Lisa so far. She is nothing like Karai, and she is the first love interest where the feelings reciprocated on both sides.

We have an unknown character to be introduced by Gwen Yeo plays a character that reoccurs through out season 4 and 5.
Auman describes the character as as walking line between good and evil. People are hoping for Lotus Blossom.

We also have another unknown character being played by Lucy Lawless.

Renet is likely to come back.

Valaxina was introduced in the first episode of the current season...I don't think they would have given her a name if they didn't intend to use her again later on. Even if it's just to hunt down the Turtles and get a reward from Dregg.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
We would have to wait with this series, but from what we've seen of Mona Lisa so far. She is nothing like Karai, and she is the first love interest where the feelings reciprocated on both sides.
Not acting the same, but filling the same slot as Karai did. The bad Girl/Action Girl slot.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #23
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:

We have an unknown character to be introduced by Gwen Yeo plays a character that reoccurs through out season 4 and 5.
Auman describes the character as as walking line between good and evil. People are hoping for Lotus Blossom.

Renet is likely to come back.

Valaxina was introduced in the first episode of the current season...I don't think they would have given her a name if they didn't intend to use her again later on. Even if it's just to hunt down the Turtles and get a reward from Dregg.
Trust me, few people are waiting as hard as I am for there to be more than two female characters on the screen at the same time on this cartoon.

That there're going to be more is great. I'm looking forward to them.
But I remain unconvinced that they'll ever appear together, or that the show will break the Maxed Out At Two rule.
Time will tell.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #24
The Happy One
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Trust me, few people are waiting as hard as I am for there to be more than two female characters on the screen at the same time on this cartoon.

But I remain unconvinced that they'll ever appear together, or that the show will break the Maxed Out At Two rule.
Time will tell.
Well from these new female voice actors coming in to the show I'm sure we will be seeing more girls in the future
The Happy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
cookie jar
Hench Mutant

Quote:
TMNT has a lot of female characters. We can speculate who will be that character. Maybe it will be Jhanna, a female alien warrior from the mirage comics and 2003 show. I think it would be cool if the character Lucy Lawless plays is a female warrior considering one important character she had played.
cookie jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #26
Foombamaroom
Lord of Cinder

This incarnation of Raph isn't a disgrace. They haven't done anything out of character for him really, it's just lack of arcs that bothers me. I think that this Raphael is an amazing portrayal of the character, but they never go far with it. We never see his emotional side, his afraid side, etc. I've learned to get over it, though, because they don't really do any arcs with the Turtles anymore. Season 3 was a huge letdown, especially for Leo. They had the opportunity to have Leo go full PTSD and give him development and a journey, just like the 4kids show, but they didn't. They had the opportunity to have Raph turn to Shredder, but they didn't. This show doesn't do anything with the Turtles anymore. Seasons 1 and 2 they did, but now it's just flat characters throughout the whole season.
Foombamaroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #27
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
This incarnation of Raph isn't a disgrace. They haven't done anything out of character for him really, it's just lack of arcs that bothers me. I think that this Raphael is an amazing portrayal of the character, but they never go far with it. We never see his emotional side, his afraid side, etc. I've learned to get over it, though, because they don't really do any arcs with the Turtles anymore. Season 3 was a huge letdown, especially for Leo. They had the opportunity to have Leo go full PTSD and give him development and a journey, just like the 4kids show, but they didn't. They had the opportunity to have Raph turn to Shredder, but they didn't. This show doesn't do anything with the Turtles anymore. Seasons 1 and 2 they did, but now it's just flat characters throughout the whole season.
I don't see how the turtles were any worse in season 3 , they're characterization was as good as it's ever been
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #28
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I already posted what I thought on the thread involving his characterization and focus, I say he is not getting proper limelight. My thoughts rest there, but I'll lay down my thoughts...

You got a great actor voicing Raphael in Sean Astin, a decent design with a thunderbolt scar largely in the unknowing and establish a pet in Spike and rivals like Xever. At first glance, season 1 and 2 balance him as the straight man in the house of "freaks"; often Raphael is balanced alongside the group. Normally, whenever he isn't the center of attention, his aggressive tone and sarcasm give Raph wit towards the situation. It also helps Raphael played the main hero in one of my personal favorite episodes "Slash and Destroy", further establishing a future conflict with the mutated Slash, originally Spike. So the potential is there with receiving opportunities, but then the holes are poked...

Season 3 butchers the character immensely beyond the saving grace the first two seasons left. Raphael was turned into a plant during "Within the Woods", turned into the Shredder's lackey in "Clash of the Mutanimals" for a brief stint, injured for no inexplicable reason in "Attack of the Mega Shredder!" and so on. Combine that in with him being the butt of the jokes as a so called "straight man" or middle child if you will. In addition, Raph also suffered a bit in season 2 where he was swapped with a Kraang in "Plan 10", turned into a turkey head in Mazes & Mutants", Karai spits in only his eyes in "Vengeance is Mine", unable to ride a horse in "Turtles in Time", and the space thing which I don't harbor a grudge here. See the problem?

Furthermore, name me one time in season 3 where he got actual focus alone in comparison to Leo, Don, and Mike. As far as I'm aware, it was only twice in the season, which were somewhat a balance in "Casey Jones vs. the Underworld" and taking limelight at the end of the season in "Dinosaurs Seen in Sewers!" Even if both are among the season's best, why did it take until the end of the season for a stand alone Raphael storyline; as far as I'm concerned one actual episode out of 26 is poor. That's how I see it, Raphael's balance has been off since the middle of season 2, making him a victim which shouldn't be his character. Add in a lackluster relationship with Mona and so far, it's not great for the character.

If Raphael is meant to be this tough guy, making him a sissy and unable to fight 8 times out of 10 and always suffering is poor handling. It's like my problem with this interpretation of Michelangelo being a goofball; these two are more than simply aggressive and goofball respectively, they are who they are in other version and both are adored. As far as I'm concerned, the horrible handling of both is painful to view, and ultimately as a Raph fan you're going to be a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
I don't see how the turtles were any worse in season 3 , they're characterization was as good as it's ever been
You mean like Mikey being a goofball in the Croaking for no reason after late season 2 development? Or Leo's injury inconsistent? Raph being a bigger wuss?

Season 3 murdered these characters both in writing and handling. Seth, Rob, Greg, and Sean do excellent in these roles, but there's no way I see them handled that good after season 2 besides Leo.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #29
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
Well could you not just call it a dramedy then? Nearly every episode has some drama and comedy. Dramedy seems to cover it. A dramedy is a comedy and a drama. That's one genre, not three. You wouldn't call something a dramedy, comedy and drama since dramedy is a combination of two genres.

In the season 2 finale they weren't happy at the end. The only person who seemed to be happy was Casey. No one else made any comment or expression that would imply they're happy. Leo definitely didn't seem happy.

As to this thread, there's already a thread with pages and pages of ranting that covers this. I don't feel that there's any need for a rehash of the same stuff.
Yes, and Casey threw off the tone. All it takes is for one character to mess it up.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #30
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:

Time will tell.
Am I one of the few who really doesn't care one way or the other regarding this? I've honestly never thought about it. I just watch the show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foombamaroom View Post
Can't really say we've never seen these things. We saw how scared he was when he thought Mikey was dead. We saw his reaction to Splinter being tossed down the drain. IMO, I feel he's one of the most emotional of the four. He acts tough, but is a softy inside. The way they did his kiss with Mona Lisa showed that to me. Overall he's a great character, imo. It would be nice if he had an ongoing story line like Leo or Donnie, but it still doesn't detract from my liking of him. I know this is my favorite incarnation of Raph. Love the personality balance.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #31
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Am I one of the few who really doesn't care one way or the other regarding this? I've honestly never thought about it. I just watch the show...
I'm sure there are things about other shows that get your knickers in a twitch that wouldn't phase me in the slightest. This just happens to be one of mine.

For instance, I'm not the slightest bit bothered by the portrayal of Raph in the Nick Toon. I think he's great, and any flaws in his characterization are so well masked by the fantastic voice work by Astin that I don't even notice them until they're pointed out to me.

But I can easily see where the issues others have with the writing, and honestly I think they stem from the issues I do have with the show.
ie: weak writing and an over-reliance on stereotype.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #32
srmff
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Season 3 butchers the character immensely beyond the saving grace the first two seasons left. Raphael was turned into a plant during "Within the Woods", turned into the Shredder's lackey in "Clash of the Mutanimals" for a brief stint, injured for no inexplicable reason in "Attack of the Mega Shredder!" and so on. Combine that in with him being the butt of the jokes as a so called "straight man" or middle child if you will. In addition, Raph also suffered a bit in season 2 where he was swapped with a Kraang in "Plan 10", turned into a turkey head in Mazes & Mutants", Karai spits in only his eyes in "Vengeance is Mine", unable to ride a horse in "Turtles in Time", and the space thing which I don't harbor a grudge here. See the problem?
I don't see how any of this made him a wuss. Raph had no control over these situations. They've all been mind controlled in the past. It didn't make me think any less of them . So what? Leo was a wuss in IDW for being mind controlled. It just increased the level of urgency.

In Attack of the Mega Shredder, they weren't allowed to attack Shredder's lair without him being at peak fitness. Does this not highlight how important he is in the team?

Becoming a plant, not his fault. It again raised the stakes because Raph, the fighter, wasn't able to help and the audience were left wondering how he'd return to his original form.

Once again, I don't see how a brain switch makes him look weaker. He had no control. It wouldn't have a bit of difference to me which turtle was switched. Casey and April were switched.

His head became a turkey. It was a gag. Donnie's head turned into a pineapple and as we know, Raph's head also didn't really turn into a turkey. It was all an illusion thing.

Some people don't like horse riding? Why is that Raph being afraid of bugs is okay but because it has been in other iterations it's okay? No one's bothered by that. Nick just can't add anything new, no new fears. I don't get it. It wouldn't make me think any less of a person for having a fear. My mum doesn't really like horse, nice to look at, but never trusted them. She much preferred donkeys.

Was it not discussed that Karai spitting in Raph's eye could have been a reference SAINW since Mikey's arm was injured and Leo was blinded?

I understand that people might want more Raph centred episodes but I don't think any of these examples make him look like a 'wuss'. I don't think Raph is a wuss full stop. He still fights and protects family like all the others.
srmff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #33
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
I don't see how any of this made him a wuss. Raph had no control over these situations. They've all been mind controlled in the past. It didn't make me think any less of them . So what? Leo was a wuss in IDW for being mind controlled. It just increased the level of urgency.

In Attack of the Mega Shredder, they weren't allowed to attack Shredder's lair without him being at peak fitness. Does this not highlight how important he is in the team?

Becoming a plant, not his fault. It again raised the stakes because Raph, the fighter, wasn't able to help and the audience were left wondering how he'd return to his original form.

Once again, I don't see how a brain switch makes him look weaker. He had no control. It wouldn't have a bit of difference to me which turtle was switched. Casey and April were switched.

His head became a turkey. It was a gag. Donnie's head turned into a pineapple and as we know, Raph's head also didn't really turn into a turkey. It was all an illusion thing.

Some people don't like horse riding? Why is that Raph being afraid of bugs is okay but because it has been in other iterations it's okay? No one's bothered by that. Nick just can't add anything new, no new fears. I don't get it. It wouldn't make me think any less of a person for having a fear. My mum doesn't really like horse, nice to look at, but never trusted them. She much preferred donkeys.

Was it not discussed that Karai spitting in Raph's eye could have been a reference SAINW since Mikey's arm was injured and Leo was blinded?

I understand that people might want more Raph centred episodes but I don't think any of these examples make him look like a 'wuss'. I don't think Raph is a wuss full stop. He still fights and protects family like all the others.
Like I said, for being the so called "protector" of the group, he's far from it. It's poor writing to constantly derail a character this much; Raphael might have a lot of attention in previous versions, but I don't get why this happens.

Clash of the Mutanimals: Beyond the mind control, it's still a poor episode and my second least favorite of the series besides the Croaking. Even then, Raph is out of character in rage for.... no reason whatsoever. The resolution of saving him is so out of place, being a major issue; it's a good thing you brought up Dark Leo though. Remember how they saved Leo was Raph bringing him back to normal through a hug, correct? Why couldn't Mikey save Raph, the insults were just an out of place way; kindness kills, might have worked.

WtW: Did the plot hold any relevance of Raph going into a regular Turtle? Did it impact him or anyone else down the line? No, they didn't do anything with it and went with a quick fix. How did Donnie fix him that fast off screen, it should have been a small arc leading into another Northampton episode.

Mega Shredder: No, they didn't do anything with the injury, especially because next episode he's fine too. Importance or not, you can make the same exact argument for each turtle or group member, they didn't address this issue in a subplot either. The only noticeable thing is Casey looking angry at Raph stopping him from heading out through dialogue, nothing else.

Plan 10 and M&M: Again, why is it him changed at all? You could very well easily could have chosen Donnie in both these episodes as the person; just imagine Donnie sinking the Technodrome offline. And the "turkey head" wasn't a gag unlike the pineapple head, it was a focal point in the episode until Raph believed. It's very grating transforming this character is the only way to get people interested, it's a repetitive idea constantly utilized.

ViM: Like I said before, no plot development other than a plausible idea of Raph hating Karai. Do you notice a constant pattern with these issues with Raph? I sure notice it.

TiT: There's doing a joke, then there's literally beating a dead horse. Raph already struggles with bugs and emotions, why isn't another character getting the horse issue? It's not funny, it's purely an insult.

The reason I brought up each example is simple: they go absolutely nowhere for a plot. None of these are addressed, they are poorly resolved, repetitive gags, and not a damn relevant addition to the series. The character goes nowhere, gets no development, and the very concept of being tough with a soft spot is long dead. He isn't a tough guy in the slightest, I want a constant balance which is what this show lacks for Raph based on the writing. The same can be said for any Turtle based on who you favor Turtle wise, but as of now Raph is the one limited the most.

Last edited by GoldMutant; 11-11-2015 at 03:36 PM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #34
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie jar View Post
TMNT has a lot of female characters. We can speculate who will be that character. Maybe it will be Jhanna, a female alien warrior from the mirage comics and 2003 show. I think it would be cool if the character Lucy Lawless plays is a female warrior considering one important character she had played.
That's what I'm hoping for. I'm really excited.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #35
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I already posted what I thought on the thread involving his characterization and focus, I say he is not getting proper limelight. My thoughts rest there, but I'll lay down my thoughts...

You got a great actor voicing Raphael in Sean Astin, a decent design with a thunderbolt scar largely in the unknowing and establish a pet in Spike and rivals like Xever. At first glance, season 1 and 2 balance him as the straight man in the house of "freaks"; often Raphael is balanced alongside the group. Normally, whenever he isn't the center of attention, his aggressive tone and sarcasm give Raph wit towards the situation. It also helps Raphael played the main hero in one of my personal favorite episodes "Slash and Destroy", further establishing a future conflict with the mutated Slash, originally Spike. So the potential is there with receiving opportunities, but then the holes are poked...

Furthermore, name me one time in season 3 where he got actual focus alone in comparison to Leo, Don, and Mike. As far as I'm aware, it was only twice in the season, which were somewhat a balance in "Casey Jones vs. the Underworld" and taking limelight at the end of the season in "Dinosaurs Seen in Sewers!" Even if both are among the season's best, why did it take until the end of the season for a stand alone Raphael storyline; as far as I'm concerned one actual episode out of 26 is poor. That's how I see it, Raphael's balance has been off since the middle of season 2, making him a victim which shouldn't be his character. Add in a lackluster relationship with Mona and so far, it's not great for the character.

If Raphael is meant to be this tough guy, making him a sissy and unable to fight 8 times out of 10 and always suffering is poor handling. It's like my problem with this interpretation of Michelangelo being a goofball; these two are more than simply aggressive and goofball respectively, they are who they are in other version and both are adored. As far as I'm concerned, the horrible handling of both is painful to view, and ultimately as a Raph fan you're going to be a lot.

You mean like Mikey being a goofball in the Croaking for no reason after late season 2 development? Or Leo's injury inconsistent? Raph being a bigger wuss?

Season 3 murdered these characters both in writing and handling. Seth, Rob, Greg, and Sean do excellent in these roles, but there's no way I see them handled that good after season 2 besides Leo.
You mean that 2 minute scene in that episode , and apparently Raph having a few moments when bad things happen to him makes him a wuss? I don't see your problem with these characters.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #36
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
You mean that 2 minute scene in that episode , and apparently Raph having a few moments when bad things happen to him makes him a wuss? I don't see your problem with these characters.
The entire episode is okay at best stand alone on regular viewing, but as an issue with questionable writing and decisions in the episode, Clash is a bad episode in comparison to other mind controlled episodes I've seen. Not only does it undermine the previous episode, it does nothing to impact the story outside setting up the eventual control of Karai; honestly, no care for Raph came here, making Leo seem like a hypocrite as his actions were identical to Raph. Take for example busting in earlier, when Raph did that, ridicule came; when Leo did it, nobody bats an eye. As for the Turtles.....

Leo: Personally got nothing against this character, he's the most developed and honestly can't criticize him. Tons of development made him what he is; sure people complain he's a Sue, but it happens rarely.

Raph: I've said this several times, he's heldback, derailed into a laughing stock, gets no development or actual plot, and severely screwed in this show by removing features that made him good. There's no balance between soft hearted and being a tough guy, it's primarily the former while suffering every turn. I've said it several times now and I don't like repeating it.

Mikey: I can go on and on about his goofball self one minute after being mature. I know for a fact this Michelangelo can handle an episode on his own, especially because of anything involving Leatherhead and the savage outfit. Why is it Mikey can be creative and ultimately an emotional yet caring being then next minute his immaturity takes control? That's not development, it's derailment because this character can do much more.

Don: Barring the crush which I don't mind, this Donnie gets a ton of plot, just nothing of substance or something that works. In season 1 I saw and some of season 2, but really Donnie just gets little to work for me to like the character outside Rob Paulsen.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #37
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I'm sure there are things about other shows that get your knickers in a twitch that wouldn't phase me in the slightest. This just happens to be one of mine.
It's super rare and usually contained to maybe an episode of said series, like maybe I would've preferred if something that had occurred had been done differently...but I also don't watch much television, so maybe that's why. I watch this show, NCIS, Law & Order: SVU, South Park, and Sonic Boom regularly....so yeah maybe that's why... I just don't think much about shows (Nick Turtles) aimed at seven-year-olds...
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #38
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I think a fairly large problem with how badly the characterization of these Turtles has become in Season 3 (besides, you know, the other problems that have been pointed out in this thread so far), can be attributed to how I can't really point out anywhere in memory where there's been any sort of character development.

It's my problem with Clash of the Mutanimals and its GoldMutant's problem, as well. At this point, we had gone a whole season that's had barely anything of substance (and, if any, it was one-off), so when the showrunners tell us that Clash of the Mutanimals is going to start an arc, we rightfully believed them, thus balancing all the filler in the season with something of some actual substance (and about damn time, too). None of the Turtles came out better because of the events of the episode, and it's an overall useless episode in the long run.

But back to my main point: Think hard about Seasons 1 and 2, and think about when the Turtles' characters actually had development. This kind of thing is normally best handled in one, what I call a Wham Scene. I think about Enemy of My Enemy, with Leo talking to his brothers about his mistake of simply believing what he wanted to. I can definitely see Leo's development here (and, hell, Leo's had some damn good development in the show as a whole up until Season 3, where they completely butchered their best opportunity). What about Mutagen Man Unleashed? Here we have a scene of Donnie talking to Timothy about April, convincing himself that he's nothing to April but a freak. Again, a great scene for the development for the character.

And there are, of course, other scenes for these two, as well as scenes for the other Turtles (Raph: Slash and Destroy; Mikey: Into Dimension X). Now, think hard about Season 3. Besides that strong scene in the opener with Leo rising to the challenge to rescue his brothers from The Creep despite his leg and the entirety of Vision Quest (which yielded no results either way), I personally couldn't think of anything off the top of my head. So, I took to a list of episodes of Season 3. I still couldn't think of anything. All I can conclude from this is that Season 3 is not only a weak season when it comes to character development, but a weak season in general. And I agree with that conclusion. But hey, that's just my two cents.

tl;dr: Season 3 is inferior especially in comparison to Seasons 1-2 in character development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I just don't think much about shows (Nick Turtles) aimed at seven-year-olds...
Then you have hardly any respect for Writing as an art form. It should not matter if a show is aimed at seven-year-olds or seventeen-year-olds. Bad writing is bad writing, and good writing is good writing. And really, all we want is good writing. Is that really too much to ask for?
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #39
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
I think a fairly large problem with how badly the characterization of these Turtles has become in Season 3 (besides, you know, the other problems that have been pointed out in this thread so far), can be attributed to how I can't really point out anywhere in memory where there's been any sort of character development.

It's my problem with Clash of the Mutanimals and its GoldMutant's problem, as well. At this point, we had gone a whole season that's had barely anything of substance (and, if any, it was one-off), so when the showrunners tell us that Clash of the Mutanimals is going to start an arc, we rightfully believed them, thus balancing all the filler in the season with something of some actual substance (and about damn time, too). None of the Turtles came out better because of the events of the episode, and it's an overall useless episode in the long run.

But back to my main point: Think hard about Seasons 1 and 2, and think about when the Turtles' characters actually had development. This kind of thing is normally best handled in one, what I call a Wham Scene. I think about Enemy of My Enemy, with Leo talking to his brothers about his mistake of simply believing what he wanted to. I can definitely see Leo's development here (and, hell, Leo's had some damn good development in the show as a whole up until Season 3, where they completely butchered their best opportunity). What about Mutagen Man Unleashed? Here we have a scene of Donnie talking to Timothy about April, convincing himself that he's nothing to April but a freak. Again, a great scene for the development for the character.

And there are, of course, other scenes for these two, as well as scenes for the other Turtles (Raph: Slash and Destroy; Mikey: Into Dimension X). Now, think hard about Season 3. Besides that strong scene in the opener with Leo rising to the challenge to rescue his brothers from The Creep despite his leg and the entirety of Vision Quest (which yielded no results either way), I personally couldn't think of anything off the top of my head. So, I took to a list of episodes of Season 3. I still couldn't think of anything. All I can conclude from this is that Season 3 is not only a weak season when it comes to character development, but a weak season in general. And I agree with that conclusion. But hey, that's just my two cents.

tl;dr: Season 3 is inferior especially in comparison to Seasons 1-2 in character development.

Then you have hardly any respect for Writing as an art form. It should not matter if a show is aimed at seven-year-olds or seventeen-year-olds. Bad writing is bad writing, and good writing is good writing. And really, all we want is good writing. Is that really too much to ask for?
The show is pretty well written a majority of times I'm entertained, I'd like the show to be darker and have more character development but even with out that it's still obvious the creaters care about what they're doing. The action is still great the writing is still funny, the VA's do an excellent job, the animation is still splendid there's so much good to focus on that the flaws seen extremely minor in comparison.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #40
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i like the way the writing has Raph usually Questioning Leo, making fun of Donnie or bullying Mikey.

the only thing i feel is missing is they need to show more of the Raph/Casey friendship.

in the episode 'The Good, the Bad, and Casey Jones' their friendship felt forced to me.
and they really haven't shown too much bonding after that.

as the series goes Casey seems to have chemistry with Mikey, and that's cool and all.
but they need to establish more of the bond between Raph and Casey.