The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #161
neatoman
Emperor

The idea of there being no meaningful distinction between theatrical, TV special and direct to home video anymore seems odd. I wonder how they'll justify massive budgets without movie theatres? Maybe they won't and just slice the production values going forward?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #162
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... I guess this means it's day and date simultaneous release with Piratebay and the like. *shrug* Not for me, but many. The wife really wants to see this in theaters whenever that's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Good. Hopefully they do the same for Black Widow, it's ridiculous if the movie is delayed by a year.
In that particular case they probably should, even if they lose money by doing so. The MCU doesn't really have any momentum or enduring goodwill at the moment... this could help. You know, assuming its actually a good movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #163
CyberCubed
Overlord

Let's put it this way:

1. I watched all of The Mandolorian and Star Wars Clone Wars Season 7 and I don't have Disney+

2. I watched Castlevania Season 3 and I don't have a netflix subscription.

3. I watched Young Justice Season 3 and I don't have DC Universe.

I don't "pay money" to watch things, so the more stuff that goes directly to online streaming over theaters, the better. I only used to see about 3-4 movies in theaters a year, and only the biggest movies, so I would wait for everything to come online.

If something comes to streaming more people can watch. It's called, "through the power of google search bar."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #164
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Honestly, Disney should've done what Warner Bros is doing with Tenet. They should've released it internationally first and then in select U.S. theaters.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #165
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Let's put it this way:

1. I watched all of The Mandolorian and Star Wars Clone Wars Season 7 and I don't have Disney+

2. I watched Castlevania Season 3 and I don't have a netflix subscription.

3. I watched Young Justice Season 3 and I don't have DC Universe.

I don't "pay money" to watch things, so the more stuff that goes directly to online streaming over theaters, the better. I only used to see about 3-4 movies in theaters a year, and only the biggest movies, so I would wait for everything to come online.

If something comes to streaming more people can watch. It's called, "through the power of google search bar."
I strongly suspect that you are the norm and not the exception in this matter. Online buzz about many shows and movies seems to be more common than it should be if everyone was an honest subscriber/customer. I seriously doubt that many people subscribe to Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO, CBS All Access, DC Universe and whatever else all at the same time. It's not a collective price that many people can/want to pay.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #166
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The idea of there being no meaningful distinction between theatrical, TV special and direct to home video anymore seems odd. I wonder how they'll justify massive budgets without movie theatres? Maybe they won't and just slice the production values going forward?
Hopefully this is will be an outcome.

On the other hand, with the recent trend of TV series having almost movie-like quality (Game of Thrones), it might not have a significant effect. Or we might get even more TV series with blockbuster quality.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #167
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The people who pay for the movie will have access to it as long as they continue to be subscribers to Disney+

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/mu...s-subscriptio/

There are some analysts who are saying that this could be a sign of Disney ending their relationship with movie theaters. Others are saying that they trust what CEO Bob Chapek was saying about this decision being a "one-off" as opposed to a "new business windowing model". They have lost a lot of money this year on their theme parks and they really can't go into TV production right now.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/mulan-d...us-1203004223/

Here is his statement from earlier. The movie is also still going to play at theaters in countries that don't have much access to Disney+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Chapek
We?re pleased to bring Mulan to a consumer base that?s been waiting for it as we?ve had to move our (release) dates several times?We?re looking at Mulan as a one-off as opposed trying to say that there?s a new business windowing model. as you know it?s fairly expensive to produce for consumers the quality we?re known for. Rather than simply rolling (the movie) into a free offering, we thought we can test anything when you have your own platform. We?re trying to establish a new premiere access window to capture that investment we got (in the film). We?ll have a chance to learn from this. From our research under a premiere access offering, not only does it get us revenue from our original transaction of PVOD, but it?s a fairly large stimulus to sign up for Disney+.
https://deadline.com/2020/08/mulan-n...ll-1203003942/
Old 08-05-2020, 01:00 AM   #168
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I wonder if someone stop subscription for a while and continue again, would the film still be accessible?

And it’s pretty redundant to pay for one movie now only for it to be included later like the rest of the Disney films..
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #169
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I have a Hulu/Disney + bundle plan. I got it when we downgraded from Hulu Live to regular Hulu. My folks were missing live too much, so we put it back to Hulu + live back in April and still have Disney+, no price change for that. Anyway, it was the only way I could watch the Mandalorian and man did I enjoy it and looking forward to season 2...sad how I like the Mandalorian more than the recent Star Wars trilogy films. I also wanted it to catch myself up on Marvel films...which I still never got around to doing.

Anyway, Mulan was one of the movies I was really looking forward to seeing this year in the theater. Out of all these Disney movies getting live-action remakes, Mulan was one of the ones that actually made sense to me to do since the story itself is grounded in actual reality. There's nothing really magical or supernatural about the story.

Given that rental price for this film, I'm going to, unfortunately, pass on that. In my opinion, for a rental, $30 is too much. It'd be cheaper to go to the theater and I'm just going to wait until that happens.

As for the MCU....in all honesty, I personally have never been fully into it. I haven't seen all of the films. I saw the first Avengers, saw the Iron Man films (1 and 3 in theaters...invited both times), the first Captain America, all three Thor films and...that's about it. Out of them, I'd only been particularly interested in Thor. Liked the first, indifferent on the second, loved the third (no Natalie Portman was a plus). After Endgame, I'm kind of surprised that they're still doing much of anything. Is the Black Widow movie taking place before the Avenger films?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:23 AM   #170
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Is the Black Widow movie taking place before the Avenger films?
I think it's set after the first two Avengers but before Infinity War and Endgame, but it will likely still contain things that move the story of the MCU forward
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #171
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Variety polled over 93,000 people and 85% of them said that they will not rent the movie for $29.99.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1290763398045564929

Yesterday, Adam Aron, the boss of AMC Theaters, said that he was not upset at Disney for not releasing Mulan in their theaters. He understands that they are losing a ton of money like his company is and that Disney has always been supportive of releasing their movies at AMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Aron
You might think I?m disappointed that Mulan is moving, but AMC has no bigger friend than Disney. They provided us with more content last year than other studio in the world. As both companies do businesses, we will thrive. Disney just announced earnings. Just like AMC, they?re under duress. They are under pressure too and at some point need to monetize their slate. We?ll benefit from Disney titles with or without Mulan. We understand what they did.

Our biggest reaction to the Mulan announcement is how much it reaffirms our wise decisions last week (with the Universal PVOD deal) to take the risk and sign on to PVOD because right now Disney?s choice under the current world order are two choices: Take it to the home or they take it to theaters. They can?t do both. Under PVOD, they could take it to PVOD and theaters at least with that 17-day lag.

I?d like to give them an opportunity to do an ?and? and not an ?or. We?d make far more money on Mulan if it was released to our theaters then to PVOD, especially if we got a cut than if Mulan went to straight to the home and us not benefiting from it. Some of our competitors are anxious about this change. Change is difficult for some to cope with.
https://deadline.com/2020/08/amc-bos...al-1203006395/

Variety in the meantime is estimating how much the film might make for rentals and how much of a gamble it was to skip theaters.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...al-1234727271/
Old 08-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #172
neatoman
Emperor

I can't say I'm surprised most people would not pay 30 bucks to rent a digital release. Who would?
Hahahaha!
Old 08-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #173
AquaParade
Big Boss

I'd pay $30 for a movie I'm looking forward to. That being a few comicbook adaptions and a few indies a year.

It's a great value if you have one or two people to watch with. I have a pretty good setup and watching Black Widow as a new release from my couch sounds glorious.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #174
Leo656
The Franchise

I really, really can't abide people who steal. Doubly so people who brag about it like it's something virtuous. In the back of my mind I often wish someone would break into their house while they're not home, steal all their sh*t and leave a note saying, "Well, I wanted this stuff, but I didn't feel like paying for it, hope you don't mind." The level of entitlement is vulgar as f*ck.

That said, it's downright hilarious that Disney thinks someone would pay $30 to watch this or any movie on a streaming service. Same reason they think their DVDs need to cost $30 when everything else is $10-15, I supposed. I won't cry for them, I hate them as a company. I just also can't abide thieves.

I have my own theories about what's to come insofar as movies going forward. They'll absolutely have to stop spending over $100 million to make them because - as this thread proves - anyone who wants to watch a movie online also feels they're "special" and shouldn't have to pay for it. So when studios collectively said "We're not going online-only because we can't make any money that way," they weren't lying. There's no way to make a cent through online releases when everyone is so open about wanting to steal. So the only thing studios can do is cut their losses and make things for a lot less money. They still won't make any profits, but they won't bleed out as quickly.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #175
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'd pay $30 for a movie I'm looking forward to. That being a few comicbook adaptions and a few indies a year.

It's a great value if you have one or two people to watch with. I have a pretty good setup and watching Black Widow as a new release from my couch sounds glorious.
Are you serious? Twice the price of a movie ticket for the experience of watching it on a home screen, and you don't even get to keep for yourself like you could with a blu-ray, which still costs less.

Short answer is that I wouldn't, especially when you'll eventually be able to have an identical experience for a cheaper price than what you normally pay to wipe your ass.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #176
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I would maybe, and I do mean maybe, consider paying that amount, if it was mine to keep. To get something at that price that you can't even keep if you do away with the streaming service is just unfathomable to me. That's the price of two movies, practically. I also don't buy movies, unless I liked them enough to want to rewatch them. To me, theatrical releases are like a preview for me. If I really really liked the film, I'll either go see it again or later on get a home version...like I did with Joker recently to show my mother as I'd wanted to watch it again since seeing it in theaters last year. I bought the digital release, which means I can permanently keep it.

Maybe if they offered it in a way that we could keep it after purchase, then maybe more people would be willing to spend $30 for it.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #177
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here are a new poster and trailer.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #178
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Christina Aguilera and Disney debuted a music video for the song "Loyal, Brave, and True", which was written for the movie.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #179
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

And here she is once again singing "Reflection".

Old 08-30-2020, 09:34 PM   #180
ssjup81
Foot Elite

So, it seems that for those who aren't going to pay the $30 rental fee, will be able to see the film for free with their subscriptions in December. If this is indeed true, then I have no problem waiting to watch this.

Tags
chinese government, papenbrook triggered