The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #281
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Well at least you now know who's got the strongest will in the relationship
It's because she doesn't want to get blindsided by the ending like she was for Avengers 3. Even though I explained to her multiple times "the movie is absolutely going to end with Thanos snapping his fingers. And that's gonna wipe out half of all life in the universe."

She was PISSED when that actually happened.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #282
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm gonna be disappointed if Cate Blanchett doesn't come back as Hela/Death in this. They have to do something with Death in this, for goodness' sake.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #283
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm gonna be disappointed if Cate Blanchett doesn't come back as Hela/Death in this. They have to do something with Death in this, for goodness' sake.
I think we'll be disappointed in that regard.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:18 PM   #284
Leo656
The Franchise

I had to stop and think to remember what the last Marvel movie I watched was, and when.

Turns out it was "Age Of Ultron", in the theater. Not intentional, but turns out that's what happened.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #285
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I had to stop and think to remember what the last Marvel movie I watched was, and when.

Turns out it was "Age Of Ultron", in the theater. Not intentional, but turns out that's what happened.
I'm a big fan of the MCU, but I'd say they really stepped their game up in "Phase 3". If you haven't seen any of the films since Phase 3 began, you might be pleasantly surprised. Civil War and Infinity War are a ton of fun.

Did Age of Ultron turn you off completely? I wouldn't blame you. I think it's an okay film, but I don't love it. I also think the MCU was beginning to feel a bit too sterile and safe at that point in time. I no longer have any interest in roughly 75% of the MCU films before Phase 3. The Russo bro's arrived in the nick of time, really.
AquaParade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #286
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeesh...

Old 04-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #287
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Yeesh...

You probably know this, but that was clearly a joke.

The segment about Disney Films intro once they've bought up every other studio is pretty funny though.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #288
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
You probably know this, but that was clearly a joke.

The segment about Disney Films intro once they've bought up every other studio is pretty funny though.
That was my first thought, and my thought going into it... but there's a few "tells" there.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #289
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
That was my first thought, and my thought going into it... but there's a few "tells" there.
I think you could look at it as a desperate attempts to give a new answer to the very same mind-numbing questions they've been replying to for the last two weeks, while trying to avoid saying anything specifically related to the movie they are promoting. You literally run out of things to say at that point.

You could take the angle that he may be letting off some steam, even subconsciously, at Brie, because the press tour has worn him down, but that would be a bit of an assumption, and a cynical one at that, in my mind.

Of course, there could be clues I didn't pick up on, which you did pick up, in that video. I've always felt like I'm pretty good at reading social situations though and that's not the vibe I got upon first viewing.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #290
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the MCU, but I'd say they really stepped their game up in "Phase 3". If you haven't seen any of the films since Phase 3 began, you might be pleasantly surprised. Civil War and Infinity War are a ton of fun.

Did Age of Ultron turn you off completely? I wouldn't blame you. I think it's an okay film, but I don't love it. I also think the MCU was beginning to feel a bit too sterile and safe at that point in time. I no longer have any interest in roughly 75% of the MCU films before Phase 3. The Russo bro's arrived in the nick of time, really.
Not specifically, although it kind of fell apart on the ride home. I kinda just stopped caring in general, although I was never extremely invested in any of it in the first place.

Truth be told I've never, ever cared about Marvel, aside from as a very young child when I often read Spider-Man and Hulk along with Superman and Batman. I watched a few episodes of the Fox Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons, and thought they were "okay", and I've played and thoroughly enjoyed a few video games like X-Men Legends and the like. But I'm not and never have been very invested in their characters or their universe regardless of medium.

I liked the first Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor movies just fine - probably because I have at least a passing interest in those characters - but by the time they actually did the first Avengers I was already kind of over it, although it was admittedly very neat to see something like that actually happen in a movie, since when I was growing up "This will forever be a contractual impossibility" was all you'd ever hear. But it was also kind of low-stakes, and having them openly declare "It's gonna be another 28 movies before we get to the REAL Bad Guy" was annoying. I know some people have really loved the build, but the thing is, I don't care about most of these characters even a little bit. And I feel like that's sort of a prerequisite for enjoyment. Especially now, with the characters I did sort of care about, being diminished in favor of giving a bigger spotlight to ones I definitely don't care about. Dr. Strange? Don't care. Captain Marvel? Don't care. Ant-Man? Really, REALLY don't care. And being told upfront, "You're gonna get like 50 movies about Z-Listers before we get to the Final Boss" had the exact opposite effect on me that it seemingly had on everyone else. I kinda cared about Thanos in 2011... but the padding in-between only to get there and it's not even "really" Thanos anyway... yeah, nah. Not for me.

And then there's Spider-Man, who I generally do care about, and the way Homecoming saw fit to change pretty much everything about the character, his supporting cast, and his world except the name "Spider-Man". Annoying. Or changing Thanos's comic-book motivation into something completely nonsensical so it would be an easier pill for movie audiences to swallow. Stuff like that always gets on my nerves.

I haven't seen the more recent films, but I've seen clips and read synopses. I like to keep up with stuff, and also hope to find something interesting that might entice me to actually sit and watch some of these things one day, but no luck so far. I'm too different from most people, I guess, and my tastes run completely counter. People insist "Ragnarok", for example, is brilliant; every clip I've seen and every single thing I've read insists to me that it's in fact my personal worst nightmare of a super-hero film. At some point I felt like it's a case of, "These things aren't made for me" and I'm better off not bothering.

It wasn't anything specific about "Ultron" that made me decide that I'd seen all I actually cared to or "needed" to see of a Marvel movie "universe". Just a variety of things. Don't care about (most of) the characters, don't like the tone, don't like the needless deviations from the source material, etc. etc. It does feel literally like I'm the only person alive who DOESN'T care, which is odd sometimes, especially right now when it's all anyone talks about. But I manage. Regardless, it's not like I decided on the ride home from "Ultron" that I was done; I just sort of felt at some point afterwards like I'd seen all I "needed" to, and that going forward they'd have to work a little harder to entice me, and so far nothing's hooked me. And whether it's true or not, the implication of "You HAVE to see these movies with characters you don't care about in order to fully appreciate the Big Important Movies" is also off-putting.

It just ain't for me. But y'know what's worse? Knowing that the kinda stuff I would like to see is never gonna happen, because of the "MCU Effect" on the industry. Like a Hulk solo film that is more of an action/horror film than a comedy. Two of the only Marvel TPBs I own are "Hulk: Return of the Monster" and "Startling Stories: BANNER". I'd be so, SO down for a Hulk movie "played straight", but if the reception to the Ang Lee movie didn't kill that dream, the MCU sure did. And going dark and violent is really the only "proper" take on the Hulk material, so knowing that it's never, EVER gonna happen... well, that stings.

So there's my usual long and rambling answer to your very simple question.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #291
AquaParade
Big Boss

No, that was a good answer.

I can relate to some of that, myself, in fact. A lot of the MCU is actually quite disposable for me, but what I do love, I really love. I know people have their different ideas of which comicbook film has truly "brought comics to life on the big screen", but for me, it's Infinity War. It truly feels like a hyper-realized event comic brought to life. But not just a "copy, paste". It's thrilling and exciting to see on such a scale.

What really rings true for me, is you pointing out how hard it is for you get invested in the characters, which you essentially have no interest in. Sometimes, you just can't get past those initial barriers. I definitely know that feeling.
Although, I'll also say, I had no interest in Black Widow, comicbook-related or otherwise, five years ago. After seeing Winter Soldier, the character has totally grown on me. One of my favorite in the MCU. I also have zero interest in Green Lantern, but after I get around to Grant Morrison's run on the character, I can imagine that changing. So we know that we can sometimes be convinced of a characters appeal, in the right hands. I'm not trying to negate your point though - I can relate to it.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #292
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Yeesh...

I saw that. She really is starting to remind of a temp who fast tracks to manager of a company because she is sleeping with the CEO, and she knows she can do and say whatever she wants and not worry about the consequences. But, those consequences are only temporary until a younger and more beautiful temp shows up.

I'm with Hems though, I like Wonder Woman too.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #293
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
I think you could look at it as a desperate attempts to give a new answer to the very same mind-numbing questions they've been replying to for the last two weeks, while trying to avoid saying anything specifically related to the movie they are promoting. You literally run out of things to say at that point.

You could take the angle that he may be letting off some steam, even subconsciously, at Brie, because the press tour has worn him down, but that would be a bit of an assumption, and a cynical one at that, in my mind.

Of course, there could be clues I didn't pick up on, which you did pick up, in that video. I've always felt like I'm pretty good at reading social situations though and that's not the vibe I got upon first viewing.
Yeah, let's ignore the fact that Hemsworth has unfollowed Brie Larson on Twitter, and Brie has mentioned in interviews that there are like 3 Avenger cast members she and Samuel L Jackson can't stand, so let's not pretend that everything is all rainbows and unicorns with the entire cast. You can't just bring in someone brand new like this and catapult them to the face of the franchise and brag that they are strongest character and not expect to rub feathers the wrong way from original cast members who have been with this project going on 10 years or more.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #294
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Yeah, let's ignore the fact that Hemsworth has unfollowed Brie Larson on Twitter, and Brie has mentioned in interviews that there are like 3 Avenger cast members she and Samuel L Jackson can't stand, so let's not pretend that everything is all rainbows and unicorns with the entire cast. You can't just bring in someone brand new like this and catapult them to the face of the franchise and brag that they are strongest character and not expect to rub feathers the wrong way from original cast members who have been with this project going on 10 years or more.
I did say there could be context that I am missing. Those sound like pretty suspect examples you’ve listed, do you have a link or a lead on where to find those interviews?

Because out of context, there’s no reason to think of it as friendly banter made for entertainment.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #295
Papenbrook
"Zero-Dollar" Sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I saw that. She really is starting to remind of a temp who fast tracks to manager of a company because she is sleeping with the CEO, and she knows she can do and say whatever she wants and not worry about the consequences. But, those consequences are only temporary until a younger and more beautiful temp shows up.

I'm with Hems though, I like Wonder Woman too.

Wow, implying sexist stereotypes about employees who happen to be women, and making them "compete" against other, more "feminist" icons ... who also happen to be women.

I just can't with this comment.

Ugh, this is so disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was way too sick. Mad good. Maaaaad good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 04-20-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #296
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I will be shocked if the ending to endgame isn't Captain Marvel killing Thanos while yelling **** the patriarchy

Seriously though Brie's ego needs to tone it down a tad.

Also this line from The Big Lebowski pretty much sums up how I feel about Brie Larson

"I don't like your jerk-off name, I don't like your jerk-off face, I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you. Jerk-off."

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 04-20-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #297
Leo656
The Franchise

That truly is one of the all-time greatest quotes, regardless of the context in which it's applied.

I think Brie's kinda hot though. I'm alright lookin' at her but she's got that problem a lot of the pretty ones have, where eventually they start f*ckin' talking.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #298
AquaParade
Big Boss

Not gonna lie, I’m full on drooling for this film now. The marketing has worked its wonders on me. Does anyone know where I can read spoiler-free impressions of the leak? I’m really enjoying gauging the reactions to the footage.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #299
AquaParade
Big Boss

After seeing the full interview and some speculation videos, I have a better idea of where this sentiment is coming from.

I’m still a bit torn though. Partially by how obsessive some of these ”YouTuber’s” come across. The need and drive to point out how much the other Avengers hate Brie, by zooming in on facial expressions and rewinding on the phrasing of “thank you VERY much” for ten minutes can quickly come across as sort of pathetic, obsessive, and agenda-driven. It’s like hate-masturbating. Sort of strange to me.

Like I posted before, I understand the idea of reading subtle social cues and subtle body movements. I’m pretty good at it, and I do see some of the signs being pointed out in this interview. It’s still out of context though, unless we have an unedited version.

And again, it all comes across as a bit obsessive and sad. Coming from someone who genuinely does find her sort of annoying: get over it.*

*Does not expect anyone to actually move on.

Last edited by AquaParade; 04-21-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #300
Barkworm
Just passing by

Quote:
After seeing the full interview and some speculation videos, I have a better idea of where this sentiment is coming from.

I’m still a bit torn though. Partially by how obsessive some of these ”YouTuber’s” come across. Then need and drive to point out how much the other Avengers hate Brie, by zooming in on facial expressions and rewinding on the phrasing of “thank you VERY much” for ten minutes can quickly come across as sort of pathetic, obsessive, and agenda-driven. It’s like hate-masterbating. Sort of strange to me.

Like I posted before, I understand the idea of reading subtle social cues and subtle body movements. I’m pretty good at it, and I do see some of the signs being pointed out in this interview. It’s still out of context though, unless we have an unedited version.

And again, it all comes across as a bit obsessive and sad. Coming from someone who genuinely does find her sort of annoying: get over it.*

*Does not expect anyone to actually move on.
This is a great post! I agree, get over it. It was a dumb discussion to begin with, posting idiotic youtube links does not make it better. Time to move on.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers cuckgame, captain marvel saves day