The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 02:27 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
New dromers don't even know that 2k3 was usually referred to as NT (New Toon)
Should it be called Second Toon (ST) now? And Nickelodeon is Third Toon (TT).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
New dromers don't even know that 2k3 was usually referred to as NT (New Toon)
That's because it was at the time. In fact, the official name of the series here in Portugal is "As Novas tartarugas Ninja" which literally means "The New Ninja Turtles". They aired reruns some years ago while the 2k12 toon was airing and didn't change the translated name of the title. I guess people just didn't think of the possibility there'd be a 3rd or a 4th TMNT cartoon series one day lol

I was still calling it the New Toon sometimes up until the early part of the decade. After all, the Nick toon only debuted in September 2012 iirc. That's 3 years after the Viacom purchase. Took me a while to stop referring to the 87 series as the OT as well, although in that case you can interpret the acronym as standing for "Original Cartoon", which in fact is.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #23
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

This show is pretty much the only TMNT show I enjoyed all the way through, bar a few episodes.

Never made it through OT very far (but if the whole show was like the first 5 episodes, I'd be all over it), and 2012 lost steam drastically after halfway through 2nd Season.

2k3 went downhill after 5th Season, but it still kept my interest
Old 03-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nick Seasons 1-2, late 3, late 4, and 5 were my favorites sans the excessive horror eps.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
This show is pretty much the only TMNT show I enjoyed all the way through, bar a few episodes.

Never made it through OT very far (but if the whole show was like the first 5 episodes, I'd be all over it), and 2012 lost steam drastically after halfway through 2nd Season.

2k3 went downhill after 5th Season, but it still kept my interest
The 2k3 series is definitely not without its problems, but it's still a good show overall. It didn't seem to know how it end, though, and the fact they changed-up things in the last 3 seasons proves this. Not just due to the fact that toy sales were steadily going down. In comparison, FW's ending was better.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #26
Overlord

Fox Kids

And how many remember that 4 Kids TV was called Fox Kids until January 2005?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I do. We didn't have that channel here afaik, but I've had heard of it back in the day somehow.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #28
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
In the U.S., it used to be Fox Kids, until 2002 when Saban sold off its brands. 4Kids teamed up with Fox to make the FoxBox, which then became 4KidsTV in 2005. The CW4Kids replaced Kids WB on the CW (formerly the WB) in 2008 and by the end of the year Fox ended its contract with 4Kids. Then it became Toonzai in 2010, but TMNT wasn't really on it due to Viacom buying the franchise a year before.

4Kids went bankrupt due to not paying royalties for the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, among other reasons, so Saban bought their assets and started Vortexx in 2012, which ended in 2014, becoming the last Saturday morning cartoon block in the U.S.

Cartoon Network had the show on its Miguzi block from 2004-2005 along with Teen Titans, but it barely lasted a year. It kind of makes me jealous that Teen Titans gets more attention and has a more vocal fanbase, but considering it was Warner Bros. that was backing it on a cable network versus an independent Mirage Studios on a struggling Saturday morning block, it makes sense why the show isn't on the same level as all the other beloved shows of the 2000s.

I always found it awkward whenever I watched TMNT and then you would get an Ultimate Muscle or Cramp Twins commercial in between. TMNT was just too good to be grouped in with a bunch of shows like that. However, I did enjoy Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Sonic X, the Incredible Crash Dummies shorts, and Viva Piñata. There was even Back to the Future, but it didn't last very long. Also, Biker Mice from Mars had a reboot as TMNT was coming to an end. Funny enough, Winx Club would later air on Nickelodeon along with the 2012 TMNT show.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #29
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
4Kids teamed up with Fox to make the FoxBox, which then became 4KidsTV in 2005.
OK, I meant it was called the Fox Box cartoon until January 2005.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #30
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's because it was at the time. In fact, the official name of the series here in Portugal is "As Novas tartarugas Ninja" which literally means "The New Ninja Turtles". They aired reruns some years ago while the 2k12 toon was airing and didn't change the translated name of the title. I guess people just didn't think of the possibility there'd be a 3rd or a 4th TMNT cartoon series one day lol
It was called in "New Adventures of Ninja Turtles" in Russia, which could create impression that it was continuation of the old series.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #31
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
OK, I meant it was called the Fox Box cartoon until January 2005.
Oh, okay. It's just that your location says Sweden and in Europe it was still called Fox Kids for quite a while.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
Oh, okay. It's just that your location says Sweden and in Europe it was still called Fox Kids for quite a while.
The 2003–2009 TMNT cartoon aired over the Cartoon Network in Sweden.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It was called in "New Adventures of Ninja Turtles" in Russia, which could create impression that it was continuation of the old series.
Tbh, it probably wasn't a bad idea to rename it that in some countries, considering it was definitely the return of TMNT to TV through a brand new cartoon series. But then again, a lot of people seem to believe 2012 was the 2nd TMNT cartoon ever, so who knows *shrugs*
Old 03-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #34
Overlord

Rise of the TMNT

Quote:
Tbh, it probably wasn't a bad idea to rename it that in some countries, considering it was definitely the return of TMNT to TV through a brand new cartoon series. But then again, a lot of people seem to believe 2012 was the 2nd TMNT cartoon ever, so who knows *shrugs*
If Rise of the TMNT continues, followed up with production of new live-action films, people in general will soon forget the Nickelodeon series, and believe Rise of the TMNT is the second.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
If Rise of the TMNT continues, followed up with production of new live-action films, people in general will soon forget the Nickelodeon series, and believe Rise of the TMNT is the second.
Perhaps, but the first Nick series had more of a buzz around it than 2k3 did. I guess it belonging to a bigger company plus the social media factor also helped.

2k3 came out at a time where remakes and reboots weren't something every property got yet like they do this decade. It was a bit ahead of its time, I guess.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #36
Overlord

Quote:
Perhaps, but the first Nick series had more of a buzz around it than 2k3 did.
I recall seing the TMNT marketed everywhere in Sweden between late 2012 and mid 2014. When the 2014 film had failed, it quickly began to disappear.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I recall seing the TMNT marketed everywhere in Sweden between late 2012 and mid 2014. When the 2014 film had failed, it quickly began to disappear.
I remember some marketing here in 2012 as well. And seeing action figures at TRU and such. Including some of the retro ones.

The Bay films, gonna guess they did alright in the box office, especially the 1st one, but it took a while for people to notice or care a new Turtles movie was coming out. I recall discussions about it on the forums, in fact. When the 1st movie was about less than a month away you still didn't see it getting talked much outside of TMNT communities.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #38
Overlord

Quote:
I remember some marketing here in 2012 as well. And seeing action figures at TRU and such. Including some of the retro ones.

The Bay films, gonna guess they did alright in the box office, especially the 1st one, but it took a while for people to notice or care a new Turtles movie was coming out.
I don't think the 2010's films were so much hated in European countries.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think the 2010's films were so much hated in European countries.
What do you mean? What makes you say that?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #40
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The series still had some juice after Wedding Bells and Bites, wasn't there an episode that was held back and split into a sequence of minisodes?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster, timelords ponder