The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I mean there are tons of Japanese manga that end so I don't see how the connection makes any sense
They end when the creator wants it to end. Unlike western comics by DC or Marvel that go on forever and have constantly changing writers and creative teams.

Stan Sakai is the only person who writes and draws every main Usagi comic, it's like Japanese manga where one writer handles the whole series. If Sakai wants Usagi to end, it'll end for good, no other writers will be able to make another Usagi comic. The only time someone else does write Usagi is of course his crossovers in TMNT cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #62
Donnie
Something from the Past

Brothers Dracul by Cullen Bunn published by AfterShock Comics is a very good read.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #63
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

I'm reading IDW TMNT
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #64
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunk1234 View Post
I'm reading IDW TMNT
^ This in form of collected editions, so I'm a few years behind. I also buy and read everything Avatar, Korra and He-Man. Every now and then I re-read some of my favorite Donald Duck comics.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #65
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

My current pull list is:

DC:
Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps
Batgirl
Doomsday Clock
Justice League latest volume

Marvel:
Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
Star Wars

IDW:
Ninja Turtles
Any Ninja Turtles secondary book be it TMNT Universe or a mini

Boom!:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Hal Jordan and The Green Lanterns is canceled after August's issue 50 and will be released by Green Lantern by Grant Morrison which I will continue to pull.

TMNT Universe is also cancelled in August with #25. I will continue with the succeeding seondary titles it will be replaced by.

I am dropping Mighty Morphin Power Rangers with issue #30. My favorite character was killed and the focus is shifted away from the original six which is why I was reading it. I am not replacing this, but if the original six returns to focus I will pick it up again.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 07-02-2018 at 09:12 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #66
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Justice League

Astonishing X-Men whenever Dazzler joins up

TMNT

IDW Sonic

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #67
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm kinda low on series right now.

Batman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Gideon Falls, The Walking Dead, I Hate Fairyland...
Did you read the infamously spoiled #50, Cylons? How was that "wedding" issue and all the build-up to it? I'd been thinking of catching up on that through trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Anyone else reading Old Man Hawkeye, its pretty awesome side story and it explores more into the Old Man Logan mythos.
I was gonna check out Old Man Hawkeye but then I figured I should probably finally get around to reading Old Man Logan first

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Every now and then I re-read some of my favorite Donald Duck comics.
Donald Duck comics are underrated treasures. You ever read any Uncle Scrooge comics? I have some old favorites from when I was a kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
My current pull list is:

DC:
Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps
Batgirl
Doomsday Clock
Justice League latest volume
What issue is Doomsday Clock up to now? Wasn't it hit with some lengthy delays?

I've been liking the new Justice League series so far, I'm eager to see what other mysterious hidden forces have been unlocked by the breaking of the Source Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes
How is the new Avengers series? I need to get caught up, I've only read the first two. I want to see what's up with the 1,000,000 years BC Avengers

Also I wanna check out the Infinity Warps miniseries with the mash-up characters that's coming out soon
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #68
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Did you read the infamously spoiled #50, Cylons? How was that "wedding" issue and all the build-up to it? I'd been thinking of catching up on that through trades.
It lived down to my expectations. In my opinion, Tom King is hugely overrated and probably his own biggest fan. Every time he entices me with an interesting setup or beginning of an arc (I Am Suicide, I Am Bane, War of Jokes and Riddles, the wedding), he always ends up pissing me off with the execution or the endgame.

I cherry-pick the issues I read by him now... haven't entirely cut off the Batman series, but considering it. The wedding issue was just... boring. And, of course, enraging. And the last page seems like a "trust me, guys, I'll make it all up to you and worth it in the end!" kinduva thing.

My thoughts, basically? "Aw, fvck you." You had the chance to do something amazing, and you didn't. But I'll give the man credit--he does what he wants, and he obviously believes in the stories he's writing. I admire that. I hate his stories, but I kinda admire the man for writing them.

ADDED: Oh, and for the record, I hated the whole Grayson series, too. Superspy James Bond Dick Grayson... again, I admire the man for doing something bold and different, but I despised it.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #69
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It lived down to my expectations. In my opinion, Tom King is hugely overrated and probably his own biggest fan. Every time he entices me with an interesting setup or beginning of an arc (I Am Suicide, I Am Bane, War of Jokes and Riddles, the wedding), he always ends up pissing me off with the execution or the endgame.

I cherry-pick the issues I read by him now... haven't entirely cut off the Batman series, but considering it. The wedding issue was just... boring. And, of course, enraging. And the last page seems like a "trust me, guys, I'll make it all up to you and worth it in the end!" kinduva thing.

My thoughts, basically? "Aw, fvck you." You had the chance to do something amazing, and you didn't. But I'll give the man credit--he does what he wants, and he obviously believes in the stories he's writing. I admire that. I hate his stories, but I kinda admire the man for writing them.

ADDED: Oh, and for the record, I hated the whole Grayson series, too. Superspy James Bond Dick Grayson... again, I admire the man for doing something bold and different, but I despised it.
Man, I read part of one issue of The War of Jokes and Riddles and man, that is the perfect way to describe it; you hear a title like that and think it would be something so cool and then the execution is just totally botched or the plot is just absolutely wack

The "we're gonna make it alllll worth it!" promise is the most-broken vow in comics

Anybody got any nice panels to share? This cover of Harley Quinn is pretty great, I'm tuning in for this story arc at least since it seems like it'll be enjoyably madcap and crazy

Spoiler:

And I just had to share this opening scene from the first issue of Cosmic Ghost Rider, it's so great
Spoiler:

And finally a panel from this week'week's Paper Girls

Spoiler:
Old 07-07-2018, 03:37 AM   #70
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Donald Duck comics are underrated treasures. You ever read any Uncle Scrooge comics? I have some old favorites from when I was a kid
Heck yeah. I just label them all under DD, even Mickey Mouse.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #71
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Avengers, Mr. Miracle, Love and Rockets, and Elvira: Mistress of the Dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #72
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Im reading The Unnatural and while the story is boring, I really enjoy the artwork and character designs.
Spoiler:
And by that I mean the pig girl character is hot
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #73
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Here's what I read yeaterday:

TMNT: Bebop & Rocksteady Hit the Road #1
(freaking great start to the miniseries)
Cosmic Ghost Rider #2
(a really cool look at a timeline where Frank Castle dies, becomes a Ghost Rider, then the Herald of Galactus, then the Right Hand of the Black King Thanos in the future, then dies again and goes to Valhalla until Odin kicks him out for being unhappy, so he goes to the past to kill Thanos as a baby, but instead he decides to raise and rehabilitate him)
Justice League #5
(Part I of a story about Lex Luthor forming the Legion of Doom)
Paper Girls #23
(so much has happened/is happening/will happen soon in this series I can't even explain, but if you're unfamiliar with the series and like 80s movies and time travel then I'd recommend it)
TMNTU #25
(probably the best issue of the series, RIP)
Harley Quinn #47
(the conclusion to the Harley Quinn vs. Apokolips storyline)

All in all a great week for the series I read. What about y'all?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #74
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Batman #52, TMNT Universe #25, Bebop and Rocksteady Hit the Road #1, The Walking Dead #182.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #75
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Currently just picking up trades of TNNT, TMNT U, and the minis as they come out. And still collecting Usagi and the Mirage Classics and Tales trades.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #76
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Just read issue #4 of The Batman Who Laughs. The story has been pretty good so far; it continues some plot threads introduced in last year’s Dark Night: Metal event series. There was also a one-shot comic released last month, The Grim Knight. If you’ve ever wondered what Batman would be like if he was mixed with the Punisher, well, look no more.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #77
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
The Only Comic I am really "following" is the Original Hellblazer run of John Constantine. Trying to get all 300 Issues.

In December I am gonna try All New GOTG and if I like that I will follow that comic series.

Other than that just reading Daredevil and a Jonah Hex Comic I got
Adding to this list. I am following The new Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes graphic novels the Infinity Countdown graphic novels and basically anything gerry duggan is writing. I am interested in Savage Avengers and War of the Relms. Also been reading Mirage TMNT which is fantastic
Old 09-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #78
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Heck yeah. I just label them all under DD, even Mickey Mouse.
Ya know even if Mickey Mouse is the King of Disney overall I'd still say Donald is Number One when it comes to their comics
Old 11-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #79
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I just read the latest Tales of the Dark Multiverse one-shot (they tie-in to the story arc going-on in the current Justice League title), which was a twist on Crisis of Infinite Earth. It was the weakest of the bunch for me so far, but I never read the original event so I was totally unfamiliar with the basic plot beats. Blue Beetle and Booster Gold just always seemed to me like third-rate characters
Old 09-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #80
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Currently re-reading everything Hellboy before I get caught up on the new stuff that's come out.

Planning on doing The Goon next, then IDW TMNT

Tags
comics