The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #201
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
The backup stories were fun, although I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be in canon with the series or not.
I think they are. The first back-up takes place when Annie is slightly younger, and then MJ has the Regent outfit on in the second back-up. There's a reference to Tony Stark in the second back-up also and MJ's reaction indicates they're on bad terms, which makes sense if this is meant to follow the continuity of everything prior to OMD. The original Civil War happened and Aunt May died as a result of the unmasking which was prompted by Stark.

As for the mystery kid? I think it's Harry's kid, Normie
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #202
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I think they are. The first back-up takes place when Annie is slightly younger, and then MJ has the Regent outfit on in the second back-up. There's a reference to Tony Stark in the second back-up also and MJ's reaction indicates they're on bad terms, which makes sense if this is meant to follow the continuity of everything prior to OMD. The original Civil War happened and Aunt May died as a result of the unmasking which was prompted by Stark.
The MJ and Annie story I could actually see in continuity. The first one, with Annie hanging out with Peter I wasn't so sure
Spoiler:
since I had a hard time imagining Peter trusting Annie would be safe with Sandman, esp. since it seemed to imply that Sandman was still doing his supervillain gig.

Also, why did Spidey call Sandman "William" if the guy's first name is "Flint."

Quote:
As for the mystery kid? I think it's Harry's kid, Normie
That could be interesting.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #203
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Also, why did Spidey call Sandman "William" if the guy's first name is "Flint."
William Baker was his alias when he went straight in the 80s/90s wasn't it? Could be a nod to that
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #204
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Suddenly realized something. The flying police cars from the original RYV miniseries were shown in the MJ and Annie short story in this issue.

Wonder how that stacks up with Gerry Conway's stated intent that in this series, the future tech that Regent had wasn't invented?
Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 AM   #205
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Suddenly realized something. The flying police cars from the original RYV miniseries were shown in the MJ and Annie short story in this issue.

Wonder how that stacks up with Gerry Conway's stated intent that in this series, the future tech that Regent had wasn't invented?
Perhaps the artists didn't get that memo. It's happened a lot under Nick Lowe's reign as editor of the Spider-books where all sorts of continuity errors have occurred. I can let it slide really, since the book does appear to be set "twenty minutes into the future" and flying cars are almost always going to be a part of futures like that.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #206
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well the good news is RYV is in the top twenty for this past week, the bad news is it didn't make the top ten (Slott's Clone Conspiracy was in 10th place, barely making it in) and had to settle for number 16. Not necessarily a deal breaker because books like Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Spider-Man 2099 don't crack high numbers like that and they go on, but still disappointing if you wanted to use this launch issue as a means to "send a message" to Marvel
Old 11-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #207
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Perhaps the artists didn't get that memo. It's happened a lot under Nick Lowe's reign as editor of the Spider-books where all sorts of continuity errors have occurred. I can let it slide really, since the book does appear to be set "twenty minutes into the future" and flying cars are almost always going to be a part of futures like that.
I didn't have a major problem with it (esp. since the description of the series always indicated that it was going to be a loose continuation with changes and retcons planned). It just struck me as funny that the hover car made it in, since that was one thing that Conway specifically mentioned that he wasn't planning to use in the series proper.

Quote:
Well the good news is RYV is in the top twenty for this past week, the bad news is it didn't make the top ten (Slott's Clone Conspiracy was in 10th place, barely making it in) and had to settle for number 16. Not necessarily a deal breaker because books like Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Spider-Man 2099 don't crack high numbers like that and they go on, but still disappointing if you wanted to use this launch issue as a means to "send a message" to Marvel
Top twenty is still a pretty good opening, esp. considering it's not the main series, the huge gap of time between it and Slott's RYV being released, the sheer number of Spider-books being made now, and the fact that it's technically an "out of continuity" series.

It would've been interesting to see how readers and others would've reacted had RYV outdone "Clone Conspiracy," but even if it had, it's still to early to tell. How the sales overall go will be a better indicator of how RYV and Slott's ASM stack up and what the public is more interested in.

(Incidentally, most of the reviews I've seen for RYV were really positive, while I've gathered that Slott's Clone stuff has been a little more mixed. So, it may have won in that sense.)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #208
ZariusTwo
Overlord

You'd be right, a lot of professional comic critics have said these versions of Peter and MJ are more on-point and true to the essence of the characters, and have also talked about their dissatisfaction with Slott's direction. Let's hope the strong word of mouth helps sales in the coming weeks.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #209
ZariusTwo
Overlord

MJ deals with problems at work and on the battlefield in our first look at RYV#2

http://www.newsarama.com/31988-mary-...t-look.html#s4
Old 11-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #210
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Star Wars and Hawkeye in big demand on advance reorders. Also, so much for interest in the "status quo altering" third issue of Clone Conspiracy, it doesn't make it on to the list, where as retailers are more interested in the Parker family kicking ass. Renew Your Vows#2 is the only Spider title listed.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...ance-reorders/
Old 11-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #211
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Star Wars and Hawkeye in big demand on advance reorders. Also, so much for interest in the "status quo altering" third issue of Clone Conspiracy, it doesn't make it on to the list, where as retailers are more interested in the Parker family kicking ass. Renew Your Vows#2 is the only Spider title listed.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...ance-reorders/
Wonder how post-order sales will go (I don't pre-order comics, myself)? But, nice to see that the series' sophomore issue seems to be doing good business.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #212
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Renew Your Vows, Invincible Iron Man, Black Panther: World of Wakanda, Captain America: Steve Rogers#7, and Clone Conspiracy#1 have all gone to second printings and will be available on December 28th.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/...ther-iron-man/

And Spider-Man Crawlspace secured a big interview with RYV's writer Gerry Conway, where he also opens up about his past work on the character

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2...way-interview/

In that podcast interview, Conway confirms the first Civil War didn't happen in the RYV universe, no public unmasking etc. That's a bit of a bummer, as it means having to ignore all the good stuff that did come out of Civil War (including Fraction's annual). Then again, the details on this book's continuity have changed several times now...I remember Nick Lowe lying about how Slott's RYV mini-series rode off the back of everything he'd previously set up, and it turned out to be a different sort of thing

Another look at Mole Man from RYV

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-18-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #213
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
And Spider-Man Crawlspace secured a big interview with RYV's writer Gerry Conway, where he also opens up about his past work on the character

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2...way-interview/
Listened to that, really liked hearing it.

Quote:
In that podcast interview, Conway confirms the first Civil War didn't happen in the RYV universe, no public unmasking etc. That's a bit of a bummer, as it means having to ignore all the good stuff that did come out of Civil War (including Fraction's annual).
I suppose you could argue that the flashback parts to the annual (the mix tape incident, the insights into what the characters were thinking at the time, etc.) still happened, even if the framing story (Peter and MJ reflecting on how they came together) isn't. The sentiments expressed in the story seem to hold true to RYV, so it's certainly thematically accurate.

Personally, I have no love for Civil War the comic based on what I've read of it (I did love the movie, though), so I'm not sorry to see it go, but your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Then again, the details on this book's continuity have changed several times now...I remember Nick Lowe lying about how Slott's RYV mini-series rode off the back of everything he'd previously set up, and it turned out to be a different sort of thing
True, although Conway has been pretty consistent on a few points, including that his RYV series is set in a slightly different world than Slott's was and that the pre-OMD 616 materials generally happened, but there are some differences. So, unless the actually story shows otherwise, I'm kind of inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in this case. (Also, wasn't Lowe the only one saying that RYV replaced OMD?)

Quote:
Another look at Mole Man from RYV

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxfNG08UQAAG7HY.jpg
I'm really confused; in the actual artwork, Mole-Man looks like a human, but on the cover of issue two, he looks like he has an actual mole's face. What's up with that, if he doesn't seem to actually look like mutant mole?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #214
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Looks like the Sandman back-up story from Issue One will have a lead story follow-up in Issue Four

Quote:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #4

Gerry Conway (W), Ryan Stegman (A/C), Humberto Ramos (VC).

·It's family fun night at the Parker household!

·After their first outing as a Spider-Family, Peter and MJ want to have a nice relaxing night with Annie.

·So of course the Parker Luck dictates that Sandman has to crash the party!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #215
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Looks like the Sandman back-up story from Issue One will have a lead story follow-up in Issue Four

http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads...2504-14798.jpg
Should be fun.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #216
ZariusTwo
Overlord

https://twitter.com/RyanStegman/stat...23236578816004

Marvel done f*cked up. The cover for Feb is actually for the fifth issue the following month.

Still, nice to know the Sandman storyline is going to be a multi-parter
Old 11-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #218
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
The more I see of RYV the more I think THIS may be the Spidey book I've been waiting for! Sure took them long enough. If funds permit I might start getting this in trades when they come out. And the earlier storyline it sprang from as well. Speak with our wallets- that's the way to tell them that we want more of this, amirite??!!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #220
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Here's the new cover and solit for February's fourth issue

Quote:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #4
Written by Gerry Conway
Penciled by Ryan Stegman
Cover by Ryan Stegman
Variant cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS
– A story so big we had to extend it to another issue!
– The Spider-Family has finally banded together as a team!
– But that still doesn’t scare the Mole Man…

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns