The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I look forward to every new year.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #22
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I've kind of enjoyed 2016 all things considered.

-DC kicked Marvel's ass all year with their Rebirth comics and superior tv shows (only falling short of the mark with their movies)
Are you counting the Netflix shows as for me I'm really looking forward to insomiac's Spiderman game
Old 12-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
How cold does it get in Portugal?
Well, it depends. We have a reputation for being a warm and sunny country, but oh it's not liek that all the time. Especially not up north and in central parts of the country. Here in the capital city, Lisbon, summers are hot and humid. And winters are cold, humid and rainy as hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Lisbon

I don't know where in the USA you live, but to many people here, I bet 9-10C/48-50F temperatures in the Winter are peanuts. Well to us that's a cold wave and the civil protection and the media warn you to be careful with the cold.

Some areas near the Spanish border, the inner side of the country, have very polarising weather throughout the year. hot as hell summers and cold as hell winters. Like this one per example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castel...rtugal#Climate

I've been told by locals that it's not THAT bad in the Winter due to low humidity(it's far form the ocean), but in Summer it's HELL.

I've never experienced negative temperatures in my country. I believe the lowest I've experienced was precisely 0C/32F up north. Which felt like I was gonna freeze to death. Apparently people in Northern an Eastern Europe wear t-shirts outside when the weather reaches 50F... that sounds crazy to me.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
50 degrees?! Geez that's a breezy spring day here in Texas. Summer is usually upper 90's-100(+) F, and winters are anywhere from low 50's F to the 20's or even teens!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #25
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, I'd sell my soul to have winter here hang around 50°.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, I'd sell my soul to have winter here hang around 50°.
I'd trade with you in a heartbeat for summers that hung around 50-degrees.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Would you guys believe I've never seen snow in my life except in pictures and on TV? I think it snowed like... 3-4 times in my city in the last 100 years or so? I think it snowed a bit in 2006, but I didn't go out that day. And from the pics I saw, it was a joke compared to snow in most Northern and Eastern European countries.

I never got my White Christmas.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Would you guys believe I've never seen snow in my life except in pictures and on TV? I think it snowed like... 3-4 times in my city in the last 100 years or so? I think it snowed a bit in 2006, but I didn't go out that day. And from the pics I saw, it was a joke compared to snow in most Northern and Eastern European countries.

I never got my White Christmas.
Daaaaaaaaaamn. And I thought I had it bad.

I've seen snow three times, maybe? Maaaaaybe four.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Cold weather sucks. Everyone who thinks they want snow and cold weather....trust me don't believe the romanticized view of it in movies and TV. You don't want snow after the first day. It makes the roads dangerous to drive in, clogs up the sidewalks and makes it slippery, and takes weeks to melt.

New York only has 3-4 months that's decent to walk around at all times of the year. The other 8 months everyone just rushes from outside to their destination because its too cold outside.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Daaaaaaaaaamn. And I thought I had it bad.

I've seen snow three times, maybe? Maaaaaybe four.
My mother says I saw snow on a trip to Switzerland back when I as 5-6 years old... but I was so young that I can't remember it at all, so I don't count that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Cold weather sucks. Everyone who thinks they want snow and cold weather....trust me don't believe the romanticized view of it in movies and TV. You don't want snow after the first day. It makes the roads dangerous to drive in, clogs up the sidewalks and makes it slippery, and takes weeks to melt.

New York only has 3-4 months that's decent to walk around at all times of the year. The other 8 months everyone just rushes from outside to their destination because its too cold outside.
No wonder you guys all want to move to Florida someday.

And yes, I'm aware of that. But I'd like ot have experienced it in a couple of Christmases when I was a kid, you know? Christmas here is just cold and/or rainy.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunno, Florida does have it's own drawback in terms of hurricane risk. Sticking out like a sore thumb as it does. Plus the humidity; granted that tends to be an east cost thing in general, but they prob get more days of it and worse than some parts.

Gotta agree with Cubed on the winter weather. I'd prefer just one big snow for the fun of it, enough to close everything down, and then be done with winter. I hate and have a bit of a fear of snowy, slick, or icy roads.

Worst winter we probably had was my first year of high school... Snowed a bunch, melted a bit, froze up, snowed more on top, melted some, froze up... etc. We had layers of it that eventually turned into thick ice. Fell and broke my glasses coming out of school one of those days and after I got home and dug out the backup pair I went to find my mom and sister out back...and immediately fell and broke that pair too. And had a little bruising along the cheekbone from punching a dent in the ice with my face. Fun times.

We so rarely get a white Christmas here though, not even sure how many I've ever actually seen. More often than not, at best we might just have some old snow left over that isn't looking too fresh. Often we just haven't had any snow yet at all. Although a handful of years ago we got a surprise one when it unexpectedly started snowing that morning....that one was awesome.

I have more memories of the seeing a few show flurries on Thanksgiving than snow on Christmas, go figure.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-05-2016 at 08:06 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

The hottest Summers I remember are 2003 and 2010. 2014 and this year's were also pretty hot. No idea about coldest Winters. I do remember a not os cold Winter. 2011 one. It was pretty much warm from mid-January to early-February in 2011. Sunny days with clear sky in the middle of Winter.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #33
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

We’ve had a pretty mild start to Summer here, which is fine. It’s warm, but not very hot yet. Loads of bushfires already though, so that’s going to get worse as it gets hotter towards the end of the year.

2017 should be interesting – I’m planning to visit my sister and her kids in the UK at some point. Not sure otherwise.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:00 AM   #34
Icebot
Foot Elite

I'm looking forward to 2017, isn't that when the NX (Switch) is coming? I'm looking forward to that.

And from March through December, the days of the week will be on the same dates for the first time since 2006 (Independence Day on a Tuesday, July 29 on a Saturday, Christmas Day on a Monday, etc.). I'm sure 2017 will bring back memories of 2006.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:38 AM   #35
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I for one hate the summer heat with a passion. I'm relishing in the cold and I love the snow when I get the chance to see it - whether it snows a few inches in Texas, or if I visit somewhere that snows.

I had a white Christmas in 2010 when I visited my dad's family in Ohio, which was fantastic. Even after getting bruised in a snowball fight.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #36
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I'm with you Utie. I hate the heat here because it usually comes with so much humidity. The kind of heat where you look at the thermometer and it says 98F in the SHADE. And you go outside and are dripping sweat after five minutes of just standing outside doing absolutely nothing, much less engaging any activity. And no matter how many clothes you shed it's not enough. You could be in your underwear and it is still too much on. I see people in places like LA complain about rolling blackouts from heat when it is 97F and I have to laugh. We don't even do that when it's 105!!

As for winters, I wish we got actual snowvmore often. Usually it's just cold and rainy. It tends to ice up more than anything, or just blow freezing rain at us that thaws as soon as it hits the ground because the ground doesn't get cold enough for anything to stay frozen. This is why we rarely ever have any snow- it might be snowing outside, but it doesn't stick! And when it does it usually just turns to ice.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I'm with you Utie. I hate the heat here because it usually comes with so much humidity. The kind of heat where you look at the thermometer and it says 98F in the SHADE. And you go outside and are dripping sweat after five minutes of just standing outside doing absolutely nothing, much less engaging any activity. And no matter how many clothes you shed it's not enough. You could be in your underwear and it is still too much on. I see people in places like LA complain about rolling blackouts from heat when it is 97F and I have to laugh. We don't even do that when it's 105!!

As for winters, I wish we got actual snowvmore often. Usually it's just cold and rainy. It tends to ice up more than anything, or just blow freezing rain at us that thaws as soon as it hits the ground because the ground doesn't get cold enough for anything to stay frozen. This is why we rarely ever have any snow- it might be snowing outside, but it doesn't stick! And when it does it usually just turns to ice.
I hear ya, fellow Texie. You know the crap we put up with.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 AM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I hear ya, fellow Texie. You know the crap we put up with.
Texie?! I always got the impression here that you were a classy British gentleman who casually sipped his tea while sitting back and brushing off his ignore list.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-06-2016 at 11:19 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #39
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Are you counting the Netflix shows as for me I'm really looking forward to insomiac's Spiderman game
I haven't really been feeling them this year. The only one I liked was Jessica Jones.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #40
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As an adult, you realize every year is practically the same now, only difference is if you have kids to raise. If you don't, every year is almost the same, just what different videogames, movies or TV shows you follow from one year to the next.

After I graduated College every year for me has been practically the same.
I hear that!

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote