The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 12:35 AM   #1081
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Same. I have an incredibly curated collection. Buying sh*t for the sake of owning it is of no interest to me. I do understand why people enjoy it, but I'd never get over owning a collection that was 98% trash. There's too much garbage in every game library. I even have a few childhood NES/SNES games, the ironically named Fun House for the NES being one of them, that I have hidden away instead of openly visible, because I can't deal with displaying hot garbage.

Whatever I own sealed I own for a very specific reason and there are very few of them. There are a handful I'd like to get.

That's a weird double standard. Toys are made for kids to play with, so keeping them in a box is just as pointless as keeping games sealed. Even collectors toys are made to be removed from the packaging and displayed openly, but again, I understand why people do it. People also use complete/sealed games as decoration. I have several on display in my game room.
I own Fun Games, too. Came in a package with other 3 games. Didn't buy it individually.

I also still have 3 crappy Simpsons games I've had as a kid: Bart vs. The Space Mutants, Bart vs. The World and Bart's Nightmare. It's not a habit of mine to sell or give away games, and even if wanted to sell them, all that's left are their cartridges, so...

Well, ye you caught me there . But I guess what I'm trying to say is; even though toys are made to be played, they can also be used as decoration. And many collectors who open them just have them standing in their shelves as decoration. I do it with mine, since being a 24 year old male and all, I can't bring myself to play with my toys anymore. The last few Turtle toys I bought are still boxed in a closet, though. But I'll open them up someday. Not really in a hurry to do so, though.

Edit: Oh you meant Fun House, nvm.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #1082
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

You know it's weird, I don't enjoy owning sealed games, they drive me nuts. I generally have a compulsion to open them, so if it's something with decent value I throw it up on eBay as an auction & buy several open games instead when I come across one. But for some strange, intangible reason I can't bring myself to open this Donkey Kong Jungle Beat set. I'm quite puzzled... Maybe if it was actually worth quite a bit I'd do my usual bit, but it's not... So it's currently part of my video console boxes display. It makes me smile everytime I notice it again, lol. One day I'll probably break down & open it, but for now it's bringing me joy by sitting there.

I've got some really cool stuff I'm getting this weekend at the flea market that my buddy has set aside for me... I can't wait to share!!

Plus I finally found a cheap/reasonable Nights into Dreams for the Saturn since it's not that good of a game (for the current online price tag) but it was an important game for the Saturn at the time. I'll post pics of the new stuff I'm getting this weekend soon... I can't wait!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #1083
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

How much did you pay for NiGHTS? My local retro shop was selling it for 8 bucks for months. Not sure if they still have it since they rearranged and I can't find their Saturn games, they may have put them in the back.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #1084
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Anyone collect old pc games? I just picked up a gem of a game from my childhood (Quest for glory 1) and there doesn't really seem to be many people that do so. Paid about 20 bucks for it but as far as I can tell, if it isn't on ebay, you aren't getting it. Kind of a shame really.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #1085
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
How much did you pay for NiGHTS? My local retro shop was selling it for 8 bucks for months. Not sure if they still have it since they rearranged and I can't find their Saturn games, they may have put them in the back.
I think it was $10? I don't remember exactly since I had cleaned out my office of extra product I didn't want to deal with and traded it in so I didn't pay any actual money for it. I'd consider $8 pretty fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
Anyone collect old pc games? I just picked up a gem of a game from my childhood (Quest for glory 1) and there doesn't really seem to be many people that do so. Paid about 20 bucks for it but as far as I can tell, if it isn't on ebay, you aren't getting it. Kind of a shame really.
My husband does, but he mostly just still has all his old PC games, he doesn't really buy more. You & my hubby are a dying breed though... so it seems.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #1086
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnatello Turtle Chick View Post
My husband does, but he mostly just still has all his old PC games, he doesn't really buy more. You & my hubby are a dying breed though... so it seems.
I think it has to do with the fact that most people aren't willing to run the game through whatever would be necessary (Either having an old computer, or having a floppy drive in your new one and then running the software through dosbox or scummvm or something similar)

Some of those games are really amazing though. What games does your husband have? My love for pc adventure games actually came from my older sister who I used to sit next to her and watch her play these games and just be amazed. I can't even recall the amount of hours I spent watching her play quest for glory 4 in particular (definitely in my top 5 games of all time!)

Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #1087
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I have all the Carmen Sandiego games that were released on CD-ROM. I can still actually play some of them, and some I can't.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #1088
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I have all the Carmen Sandiego games that were released on CD-ROM. I can still actually play some of them, and some I can't.
I loved those! Some great memories playing all those *sings* Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? Good times!

I've had a plan (since shortly after getting my Fire Orange N64) to try to eventually get all the Funtastic N64 colored consoles and display them on a certain place along a wall in my office. I really figured it was probably a pipe dream but yesterday I scored a Watermelon N64 (WATERMELON!!) from, of all places, my local game shop and was by some miracle listed at the regular N64 price! I'm so stoked! What was funny was the manager and I were talking about the Watermelon systems and how rare they were. He said they only ever had 1 come into the store. I happen to see one on the shelf after looking around and ask to see it. I'm like, this is too good to be true, right? He seemed like he couldn't figure out why I was perplexed. So I asked him to hold it for me till today since I had no money the day I saw it. I went in yesterday to buy it and he's looking at me, I'm staring at him ready for him to say they made a mistake and it'll be more... He rings it up at normal N64 price and cautiously asks me... So this is Watermelon? I was like yup! He goes, oh, I was remembering it was darker... I practically floated out of that store!

Also finally got my hands on another Atomic Grape Game Boy Color after magically losing mine a while back... it's really the only one I have any desire to own. My fav!

My very exciting score! Phantasy Star for Sega Master System, Mario Kart for SNES and TurboGrafx with 3 complete games! Very psyched about this. Man, I've had just a phenomenal weekend! What a way to celebrate the 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #1089
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I loved those! Some great memories playing all those *sings* Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? Good times!

Also finally got my hands on another Atomic Grape Game Boy Color after magically losing mine a while back... it's really the only one I have any desire to own. My fav!
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...ic%20grape.jpg
Have you played the CD-ROM version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? that was released in 1997, and re-released by The Learning Company as Carmen Sandeigo's Great Chase Through Time in 1999? Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, also lent his voice to the game. I got to meet him at the Nintendo World Store in 2010 when they released Super Mario Galaxy 2. I wasn't getting the game, but since I have Super Mario 64, I brought that with me for him to sign and had him sign the box as well as the cartridge. Since I couldn't remember if I thanked him or not, I e-mailed him to say so, and told him about how I have Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? and told him about how I know he lent his voice to that game as well, and he voiced William Shakespeare and Ludwig van Beethoven. In response to that, he said:

I remember "Where in Time is Carmen San Diego"!!! That was fun! I wish they made more games like that!

So yeah, good times.

Congrats on finding yourself the Game Boy Color unit too. I remember how GBC came out on the same day as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and I was kind of bummed that I wasn't able to get them both on account of I had no job.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #1090
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:

My very exciting score! Phantasy Star for Sega Master System, Mario Kart for SNES and TurboGrafx with 3 complete games! Very psyched about this. Man, I've had just a phenomenal weekend! What a way to celebrate the 4th of July!
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...pick%20ups.jpg
Crazy good score on the turboGrafx! I need to pick one up one of these days...

Old 07-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #1091
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Have you played the CD-ROM version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? that was released in 1997, and re-released by The Learning Company as Carmen Sandeigo's Great Chase Through Time in 1999? Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, also lent his voice to the game. I got to meet him at the Nintendo World Store in 2010 when they released Super Mario Galaxy 2. I wasn't getting the game, but since I have Super Mario 64, I brought that with me for him to sign and had him sign the box as well as the cartridge. Since I couldn't remember if I thanked him or not, I e-mailed him to say so, and told him about how I have Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? and told him about how I know he lent his voice to that game as well, and he voiced William Shakespeare and Ludwig van Beethoven. In response to that, he said:

I remember "Where in Time is Carmen San Diego"!!! That was fun! I wish they made more games like that!

So yeah, good times.

Congrats on finding yourself the Game Boy Color unit too. I remember how GBC came out on the same day as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and I was kind of bummed that I wasn't able to get them both on account of I had no job.
That GBC is my absolute fave! I very much remember playing the Great Chase Through Time! Loved it!! Man, those were the days!

Quote:
Crazy good score on the turboGrafx! I need to pick one up one of these days...
Thanks! I'm pretty stoked! They have come up quite a bit in price recently, I'm so glad my friend found it for me!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #1092
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
I very much remember playing the Great Chase Through Time! Loved it!! Man, those were the days!
That one might be the best one ever made. I kind of liked the King's Quest/Maniac Mansion tone that it had.

You might also know that it's the last CS game where you can actually catch Carmen. By the way, did you know about Secret of the Stolen Drums that was released on GameCube, PS2, and X-Box back in 2004?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #1093
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That one might be the best one ever made. I kind of liked the King's Quest/Maniac Mansion tone that it had.

You might also know that it's the last CS game where you can actually catch Carmen. By the way, did you know about Secret of the Stolen Drums that was released on GameCube, PS2, and X-Box back in 2004?
Kings quest

I played 5 and 6 soooooo many times.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #1094
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
You know it's weird, I don't enjoy owning sealed games, they drive me nuts. I generally have a compulsion to open them, so if it's something with decent value I throw it up on eBay as an auction & buy several open games instead when I come across one. But for some strange, intangible reason I can't bring myself to open this Donkey Kong Jungle Beat set. I'm quite puzzled... Maybe if it was actually worth quite a bit I'd do my usual bit, but it's not... So it's currently part of my video console boxes display. It makes me smile everytime I notice it again, lol. One day I'll probably break down
You know... there are people with Youtube accounts who make good money by uploading lots of videos of themselves opening toy/game boxes for the first time. Might be something to consider when the time comes to unwrap the bongos!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #1095
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Yoooooooo I traded in my Genesis Nomad and got these. [I have not used that thing in over a decade, don't judge me]

Gamecube memory card is replacing my old one which is fairly badly damaged. If anyone wants pics of that I can take some.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #1096
Peanut
Second Gear

I really hope it was a personal trade and not to a store or anything, cause if so you got f*cking hosed, dawg.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #1097
oldmanwinters
Overlord

In spite of all the portable Sega Genesis clones in the market nowadays, the Nomad has always fascinated me, even I have no interest in paying market-value for one. The cartridges didn't fit neatly into the handheld from what I remember, but in the 1990s it was a pretty neat idea being able to play a 16-bit console on the go. The first and only time I remember playing one was at the Sega Expo at Disney World around 1996.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #1098
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I think the market is slim because they're so easily available online. I DO love me some old PC games though. Luckily, most of my favs are on Steam now. Hell, they just released an HD Heroes of Might and Magic III, which is the FUNNEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
https://36.media.tumblr.com/3ede3d8c...6d4zo1_540.jpg
Yoooooooo I traded in my Genesis Nomad and got these. [I have not used that thing in over a decade, don't judge me]

Gamecube memory card is replacing my old one which is fairly badly damaged. If anyone wants pics of that I can take some.
Star Ocean II is one of my favorite RPGS. The story is pretty sucky, but I loved the characters, interaction meters, and the crafting systems. Guh....so much fun. I never played the 3rd one. I probably should.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #1099
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Great pics DTC

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #1100
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I really hope it was a personal trade and not to a store or anything, cause if so you got f*cking hosed, dawg.
It doesn't matter who I traded it to, because I got two great games I know I'll play [and a replacement memory card] in exchange for a hunk of plastic I used maybe twice in the entire almost 20 years I owned it. So like I said, don't ****ing judge me on that trade, I will get rid of something if it sits around that long unused. I contemplated asking if anyone here wanted it, BUT I didn't even have all the stuff it came with so I knew I'd be ripping off whoever got it from me.

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games