The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 02:19 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 20,745
Amazon changes icon because complaints it resembles Hitler

Oh boy.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...-icon-7212503/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:34 AM   #2
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 1,317
Moustache or a nose. It's distracting, bad design.
Also Google Photos looks suspiciously like a swastika
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:53 AM   #3
Sumac
Foot Elite
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,195
Our world has become so retarded that I can't really tell was it a bunch of trolls who "abused" SJW "logic" to harass Amazon into submission or were those actual SJW retards who hallucinated Hitler from the thin air.

And this is another case, which proves that we should be afraid for the future of the Western world, because, I can't imagine how crazy or how ****ing high you should be to hallucinate Hitler's mouth in this icon. Now imagine those psychos having actual executive power to make laws...
__________________
Now with 200,1% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 9,913
I saw that on the local news two days ago. I saw the images compared and I was asked what is offensive about one of them, I could not tell any difference. The reason is, I did not know the blue tape was considered a part of the logo. I was fixed on the Amazon smile icon. Then when I was told the tape was a part of the logo I never noticed Hitler's mustache at all. People are just reaching now because of the cultural climate. Anything and everything is offensive. It has gotten out of hand how silly people have gotten. I never would have guessed without being told and even then cannot see it.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,422
I'm at a loss for words. Where does one's mind even have to be to see something that is not even there? It was just a stupid image of a piece of tape, fer gods' sakes! Yeah, this shite is going waaay too far.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
Sumac
Foot Elite
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I'm at a loss for words. Where does one's mind even have to be to see something that is not even there? It was just a stupid image of a piece of tape, fer gods' sakes! Yeah, this shite is going waaay too far.
We arrived to this point, thank to the people like you, not that I expect you to ever admit responsibility. People on the "right side of history" rarely do it.
__________________
Now with 200,1% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 1,317
What's worst? The fact that there are paranoid out there or the fact that big companies like Amazon are listening to them?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
joe-eyeball
Hench Mutant
 
joe-eyeball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 405
I am of Polish ancestry and I was wearing a shirt with the Polish eagle on it and a small group of people began verbally assaulting me because they were convinced I was a nazi! I calmly informed them that it was an iconic Polish symbol and that they were a bunch of uneducated, quick to judge, SJW, a$$hats! It will all implode soon because these morons that spend so much time looking for things to be offended over will eventually cancel themselves. Can’t happen soon enough! The cancel culture crowd are just a bunch of useful idiots for corporate America and the media to use and abuse in an effort to convince the masses that they all actually give a sh!t about social issues! As long as it appears that there is money to be made while championing these causes it will continue. And as soon as that money well dries up things will flip back and so on and so forth.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
sdp
Shock Rocker
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 8,753
Sorry to hear you're outraged again Andrew.
__________________

PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 12,523
Weird.

Just looked at it via that article. Didn't see Hitler... but that didn't read as packaging tape either, just read as "wtf is the odd blue spot," so it's not a great design choice anyhow, imo. If they wanted it to look like tape they could have tried harder. Blue post-it note is more what my mind went to.

Some people really do look too hard for offense and hurt anywhere they think they can find it, but those people are the sort who love a good victim complex in any area of life, and that behavior crosses all political lines and for many isn't centered on politics at all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
We arrived to this point, thank to the people like you, not that I expect you to ever admit responsibility. People on the "right side of history" rarely do it.
And given the assumption and judgements (and pot stirring) that are required to respond with a comment that doesn't even reflect Duckie's post... people like you also.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-04-2021 at 10:27 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
Sumac
Foot Elite
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Sorry to hear you're outraged again Andrew.
You could read a post above, before making a dumb quip again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-eyeball View Post
I am of Polish ancestry and I was wearing a shirt with the Polish eagle on it and a small group of people began verbally assaulting me because they were convinced I was a nazi! I calmly informed them that it was an iconic Polish symbol and that they were a bunch of uneducated, quick to judge, SJW, a$$hats! It will all implode soon because these morons that spend so much time looking for things to be offended over will eventually cancel themselves. Can’t happen soon enough! The cancel culture crowd are just a bunch of useful idiots for corporate America and the media to use and abuse in an effort to convince the masses that they all actually give a sh!t about social issues! As long as it appears that there is money to be made while championing these causes it will continue. And as soon as that money well dries up things will flip back and so on and so forth.
Sorry to heat about that ****.

I think too, that SJWs would implode, they are too volatile and toxic to not to, but it will take some time and who knows how much idiocy to tolerate from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And given the assumption and judgements (and pot stirring) that are required to respond with a comment that doesn't even reflect Duckie's post... people like you also.
I am not the one supporting SJW religion.

And, for this rare occasion, I wasn't trying to steer ****, but pointed out to that singular person that this insanity was their own doing.
__________________
Now with 200,1% more poison!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,875
Meanwhile in India





__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #13
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 12,523
It's official, I've seen everything. Stop the planet, we can get off now.


Damn, India, what the hell.

Although the ice cream should have been a misshapen face with misplaced candy eyes.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Damn, India, what the hell.
Interestingly, there are actually sensible explanations as to why Hitler is still popular and loved throughout places like India and the Muslim world, as shocking as it may seem to the average person from the West.

The Indians absolutely resented British for their Brutal colonial rule of their homeland, and Nazi Germany basically drove Britain into bankruptcy, meaning that without Hitler, Indian may have never gained independence. Also, many Indians living in India chose to voluntarily fight for the Third Reich during World War 2, primarily due to their hatred of the British.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37,100
Those stores are allowed in India? I shouldn't be surprised as they can't even feed their own people.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Those stores are allowed in India? I shouldn't be surprised as they can't even feed their own people.
That's a major false equivalency. India won't suddenly reduce malnutrition by banning Nazi imagery.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37,100
Don't they know Hitler hated dark skinned people? I think some often forget that besides Jews, Hitler would also eventually go after blacks/muslims/indians, everyone. He believed everyone would be white and blonde (despite Hitler himself having black hair, oddly enough).

There's no doubt in most peoples mind that had Germany won World War II, they would eventually take over every other country. Even Japan was stupid enough to follow them when he would have went after Asians as well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #18
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 1,317
I just hope that Amazon logo designer won't lose his job for secretly being a nazi.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Bark Town
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Even Japan was stupid enough to follow them when he would have went after Asians as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The biggest villains were the censors. What they could do without being held back is my question.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Interestingly, there are actually sensible explanations as to why Hitler is still popular and loved throughout places like India and the Muslim world, as shocking as it may seem to the average person from the West.

The Indians absolutely resented British for their Brutal colonial rule of their homeland, and Nazi Germany basically drove Britain into bankruptcy, meaning that without Hitler, Indian may have never gained independence. Also, many Indians living in India chose to voluntarily fight for the Third Reich during World War 2, primarily due to their hatred of the British.
I once read a news article written by a German journalist who went to India and ran into a cafe called Cafe Hitler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Don't they know Hitler hated dark skinned people? I think some often forget that besides Jews, Hitler would also eventually go after blacks/muslims/indians, everyone. He believed everyone would be white and blonde (despite Hitler himself having black hair, oddly enough).

There's no doubt in most peoples mind that had Germany won World War II, they would eventually take over every other country. Even Japan was stupid enough to follow them when he would have went after Asians as well.
The blonde people thing is a myth. As you said, Hitler and some of the Nazi officers weren't blonde themselves. Most Germans aren't actually blonde. And most Austrians even less.

Nazi Germany invaded and caused a lot of destruction in large parts of Europe with significant blonde populations. So it's pretty obvious the Nazis killed a lot of blonde people. Blonde hair was definitely an ideal of beauty for them, but not something obligatory for someone to be OK in their book. Also if someone was Jewish or a communist, it didn't matter if they looked like the living embodiment of Thor. They'd go to the concentration camps.

And don't forget Germany allied itself with Japan.

There was a black American athlete who won a gold medal at the Berlin Olympics in the early 30s. I believe he said he was better treated by the Nazi German authorities than in his own country. That isn't to say they viewed black people as equals to Europeans. In fact no European country at the time viewed Africans that favourably. European colonial presence in Africa wouldn't end until way after WW2 would be over.

Nazi Germany was definitely a racist and bigoted regime. Just look at what they did to Jewish people Gypsies, LGBT people and others. But things aren't so black and white(no pun intended). History doesn't work like that. Back in the 30s/40s black, Arabic and Indian people weren't exactly viewed as a threat to Europe by people like Hitler. So he probably felt no need to target them. In fact, he probably liked Arabs because he preferred Islam to Judaism, I'm guessing.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.