The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

One cliche I like is when there's a danger so big, the good guys and bad guys have to team up to save the world. I like bad guys that are smart enough to realize that if the um.. other bigger badder bad guys win, they'll die too because they live on this planet too. Bonus points if the bad realize they have to let their accursed hero go because if they don't they're basically stopping the only person that can save everything and again, they'd die too.

I do agree with the cliche of the bad guy that wants to destroy the world not realizing he's gonna die too. There was a funny Youtube video where the one of the bad guy's henchmen jumps the gun and kills James Bond with a laser. With him dead they are free to continue with their doomsday laser, and the main villain is now hesitant because he realizes he really will kill all life including himself, but his henchmen keep cheering for him to push the button, since this was all part of the master plan anyway.

Another cliche that bugs me as I get older is the whole 'the guy will always get the girl in the end, no matter what the guy looks like'. Like a random fat slob will somehow make the girl fall for him because he's so sweet and endearing and all that jazz. I guess now that I see the world through different eyes as an adult, I kinda find it funny how the super hot model chick somehow falls for this loser, and she's painted as a bad guy or dumb if she doesn't right away... while I've very rarely seen a movie or show where a muscular dream boat falls for a chubby nerd girl and he's painted as a bad guy or a jerk just because he doesn't fall for her right away.

I don't know. Movie gonna movie, I guess. I also got sick of the cliche or random forced romance during times of crises. Like aliens, zombies, dinosaurs, whatever attack the town, there's still time for random strangers to somehow fall in love during all this insanity and then big hug and kiss at the end. Now it kiiinda makes sense when they people are already in a relationship or were in it before, I mean we have movies where people facing divorce somehow renew the spark and remarry or whatever after surviving oblivion, but random strangers?

Like dude, the big muscular action hero is also a cop/soldier/whatever, so like, he's not saving your life cause he wants you, he's doing his job and would do the same for any other woman.

Plus, I always wonder what happens after these movies. Sure, Mr. Action Man saved your life a few times and helped blow up the bad guy at the end with a witty line, and suddenly you're in love. Now what? Is the hero also good at getting a job, is he a jerk during downtime, is the woman a total bitch or something and hard to live with? How does their story really end?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #22
Sumac
Banned

I believe there are no bad cliches and plot ideas - there are only bad executions.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:52 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

I like the fiction cliche when two attractive girls start off as friends and then they start making out and kiss each other for no reason at all.

For some reason this is so common now that I almost half expect it to happen in almost every show I watch now. 80% of the time it usually does.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Cubed, please stop trolling with your "hot lesbian" fantasies. You seriously need help, man.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #25
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh, man...this one just really gets under my skin.

Making nursery rhymes "scary" or adapting them to sound scary. And for some reason, Steven Moffat REALLY has a hard-on for doing that. Which probably degrades it more because it. Just. Kept. Happening. In Doctor Who. No. It's not edgy. It's corny.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #26
Allio
Foot Elite

I always like the one where "the character that is innocent/looking for innocence is the one that gets curroptef
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #27
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

How about "unhappy child with rich parents"?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:33 AM   #28
Prowler
Emperor

Eh dunno really, but the main male and main female character ending up together or crushing on each other is a bit of an annoying cliché. Or a guy falling in love with his female friend and then marrying her. It's as if Hollywood and tv shows are saying men and women can't be friends or work together without wanting to shag each other.

Tbh, I think I prefer how romance is handled in anime/manga, as unrealistic as it is. It's obvious they like each other, but rarely do couples actually get together or kiss in anime/manga in the end.

I don't think every single tv show, cartoon, movie etc. needs romance. At least not for the main characters. TMNT does fine without romance asides from Casey and April, for example.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:43 AM   #29
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Casey and April.
I can be even without that.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:49 AM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I can be even without that.
Yeah, same. Tbh, I think April could do better than Casey, especially in the 2k3 cartoon. But whatever.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah, they honestly have no real reason to be together anyway. April and Casey literally are the 'main human female falls for main human male' cliche.

I kinda like how IDW addresses the fact that outside of adventures and knowing the turtles, they both really don't have anything in common. Of course they still want them to be a couple.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah, they honestly have no real reason to be together anyway. April and Casey literally are the 'main human female falls for main human male' cliche.

I kinda like how IDW addresses the fact that outside of adventures and knowing the turtles, they both really don't have anything in common. Of course they still want them to be a couple.
FW got it right in not pairing them up together. They even had less in common there.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #33
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
FW got it right in not pairing them up together. They even had less in common there.
My favourite April O'Neil versions will also be from the first two animated series, Archieverse and films: An ordinary Earth-human who happens to stumble into the adventures of four mutant turtles.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #34
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

One of my favourite fiction cliches is having villains be weak yet very intelligent and cunning, it often makes them very interesting and even more dangerous than villains who are pure brutes.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #35
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
One of my favourite fiction cliches is having villains be weak yet very intelligent and cunning, it often makes them very interesting and even more dangerous than villains who are pure brutes.
Or a duo, where one of them is strong and tough, the other is more intelligent.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #36
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

I always love seeing villains caring about their lackeys, I can see them being tough towards them but they don't treat them like crap. I also like villians coing mundane things like go to a shop to pick a sandwich
Old 12-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #37
Overlord

Most adventure fiction doesn't need much romance.