The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That Purple Dragon from the first episode of the 4Kids show thought they were frogs and Spider-Bytez thought they were frogs. So yes, they have been mistaken for frogs.
Even Donatello himself forgot he wasn't a frog in like the first or second episode of Fred Wolf.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Punk Frogs, as cool as those original action figures are (LOVE that Napoleon Bonafrog toy), were pretty forgettable characters.

I mean, come on. The TOYS had more personality than the characters in the cartoon, and they only ever made half the roster.

There's not really a good way to introduce four new mutants who all happen to be frogs, especially considering Sally Ride and Ray Fillet have been in IDW since the Mutanimals mini-series published two years ago and are only now getting character development.

Plus, IDW is once again getting to the point of too many mutants. So no. No Punk Frogs.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #43
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Even Donatello himself forgot he wasn't a frog in like the first or second episode of Fred Wolf.
There's also a scene in the third movie where one of the Turtles (I think Mikey) said he swallowed a frog and hoped it wasn't an ancestor.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

You guys realize those are jokes, right?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #45
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Punk Frogs, as cool as those original action figures are (LOVE that Napoleon Bonafrog toy), were pretty forgettable characters.

I mean, come on. The TOYS had more personality than the characters in the cartoon, and they only ever made half the roster.

There's not really a good way to introduce four new mutants who all happen to be frogs, especially considering Sally Ride and Ray Fillet have been in IDW since the Mutanimals mini-series published two years ago and are only now getting character development.

Plus, IDW is once again getting to the point of too many mutants. So no. No Punk Frogs.
Well said.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #46
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Well said.
The Dark Turtles have more potential than the Punk Frogs, and the Dark Turtles are just a Saturday-morning-cartoon "evil twin" caricatures.

It could be done well, but you'd have to work really REALLY hard at it to avoid falling into tired tropes or cliches.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #47
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually that was Donatello who joked about swallowing the frog in TMNT III. Right after they sprung April from the dungeon and escaped through the drain chute.

I do think that something between the OT and Nick origins could work, if given distinct personalities as they were in Nick. Maybe they could even be on ipposing sides of a fight. Or they could pretend to be allies of the turtles while working as spies or traitors for one of their enemies. I liked their original OT creation but it needed to play on their naivite more and later have them realize they were being used and do a 180. I can see some really interesting plots regarding the nature of friendship and trust coming out of this.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #48
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah but there's still characters mistaking them for frogs.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's just jokes or insults. It's like when they call the Turtles "shell backs" or the Turtles call Shredder, "Shred Head."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #50
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The problem with the Punk Frogs is that, unlike the Turtles, they didn't have distinguishing personalities.
They were still OK characters, without any need to explore their personalities deeper since they were only in a few episodes. Also, I don't care much for them appearing in other versions.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yes, I do realize those particular TMNT projects are mostly jokes.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #52
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I can't believe you guys enjoy eating filthy exotic animals. We're not savages anymore that live in the wilds like cavemen, there's no reason modern humans should eat this stuff.
Wow.... you're a special kind of.... never mind. You have honestly NEVER heard of a French restaurant serving frog legs before? Really? This is beyond you possibly not leaving the house much. This is me wondering if you've ever gone to school. Ever.

Back on topic, I just think the frogs needed to be more bad ass too. They did even less fighting than the turtles did, and other than Rasputin's trick arrows, their weapons were mostly useless.

They needed more personality. Genghis was the leader, I guess. But the others were just there. They didn't really need a scientist type like Don, but maybe some of the others could have been a silly type, a smart ass type and an angry type.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 04-08-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Wow.... you're a special kind of.... never mind. You have honestly NEVER heard of a French restaurant serving frog legs before? Really? This is beyond you possibly not leaving the house much. This is me wondering if you've ever gone to school. Ever.

Back on topic, I just think the frogs needed to be more bad ass too. They did even less fighting than the turtles did, and other than Rasputin's trick arrows, their weapons were mostly useless.

They needed more personality. Genghis was the leader, I guess. But the others were just there. They didn't really need a scientist type like Don, but maybe some of the others could have been a silly type, a smart ass type and an angry type.
Didn't one of them carry an axe? That **** hurts, man.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #54
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Didn't one of them carry an axe? That **** hurts, man.
Genghis I think but with them being so underused he barely got the chance to swing it at anything other than maybe a rope or something. Once.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #55
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Genghis I think but with them being so underused he barely got the chance to swing it at anything other than maybe a rope or something. Once.
Yeah I only recall Rasputin and his arrows. He had flashing arrows and also explosive ones iirc.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #56
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah I only recall Rasputin and his arrows. He had flashing arrows and also explosive ones iirc.
I think the other weapons were a mace and a whip. I seem to recall the whip being used as rope to latch onto things and whatnot but I really don't remember Napoleon even using his mace. Those episodes didn't give all that much for the frogs to do, fight wise. They needed shredder to send a bunch of disposable robots after them or something so we could actually see them smash stuff.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I think the other weapons were a mace and a whip. I seem to recall the whip being used as rope to latch onto things and whatnot but I really don't remember Napoleon even using his mace. Those episodes didn't give all that much for the frogs to do, fight wise. They needed shredder to send a bunch of disposable robots after them or something so we could actually see them smash stuff.
I think Attila was the least developed frog of the bunch. Napoleon had his own episode and Genghis visited the Turtles in that episode of the giant insects. Rasputin was known for his arrows. But Attila? What did he ever do?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #58
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I think Attila was the least developed frog of the bunch. Napoleon had his own episode and Genghis visited the Turtles in that episode of the giant insects. Rasputin was known for his arrows. But Attila? What did he ever do?
Use his whip to pull the gang out of quicksand lol. All I can remember.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #59
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Use his whip to pull the gang out of quicksand lol. All I can remember.
Ah Leatherhead episode? I had forgotten that part. Attila also used the whip in the first episode when Shredder asked them to prove to bebop and Rocksteady that they were capable fighters. I can't blame Bebop and Rocksteady for doubting their talents though... I mean Splinter trained the Turtles for years while Shredder trained the Punk Frogs for like what... a week?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #60
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Ah Leatherhead episode? I had forgotten that part. Attila also used the whip in the first episode when Shredder asked them to prove to bebop and Rocksteady that they were capable fighters. I can't blame Bebop and Rocksteady for doubting their talents though... I mean Splinter trained the Turtles for years while Shredder trained the Punk Frogs for like what... a week?
I think even Bebop and Rocksteady said something like 'geez idk boss, the turtles will mop the floor with these wimps'.

Tags
punk frogs