The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Chris McKay To Helm Johnny Quest Movie

Quote:
Deadline has confirmed that The Lego Batman Movie director Chris McKay has been set to direct a live-action feature take on the 1960s Hanna-Barbera animated series Jonny Quest for Warner Bros.

Created by Doug Wildey, the series followed a young boy on global adventures with his scientist father, adopted brother Hadji, and their bodyguard Race Bannon. Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich of Rideback are producing with Prime Universe’s Adrian Askarieh. Daniel Alter will serve as EP. Robert Rodriguez was previously attached to the project with screenplay drafts by Terry Rossio and Dan Mazeau.

McKay was also an editor on The Lego Movie, and a producer on The Lego Ninjago Movie, and he’s set to produce Warner’s Wile E. Coyote Movie.
https://deadline.com/2018/11/jonny-q...or-1202498400/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Aw yeah. Don't forget Jessie, Jade, and 4Dac.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Sumac
Banned

They also NEED this awesome theme!!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Johnny Quest is one of those series that I think could be a huge hit, it's basically a kid who is a hybrid Indiana Jones/James Bond.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Fvck yeah, man. Fvck yeah.

Still gives me goosebumps a quarter-century later!
Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Vicky82
Emperor

This is a movie I would love to see.

Quote:
Hell yeah, I absolutely loved the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, shame it only lasted 2 seasons.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Don't forget Jessie
Well, since we are in a time where women are more prominently featured in cinema and TV shows I'm wondering if they will either revamp Jessie Bannon from The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest or just create a new female character. Jessie didn't bother me the way that Venus de Milo did in Ninja Turtles: Next Mutation. She was no Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, but I did like her fine.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I always liked Johnny Quest, because the weird things in it were real weird things and not just Scooby-Doo villains with high tech tricks. I remember a lot of episodes being borderline horror, which is very much up my alley.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I always liked Johnny Quest, because the weird things in it were real weird things and not just Scooby-Doo villains with high tech tricks. I remember a lot of episodes being borderline horror, which is very much up my alley.
Yeah. He had great villains, too! Doctor Surd and his crew, Ezekiel Rage, Dr. Zin (or Xin, depending on who spelled it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Well, since we are in a time where women are more prominently featured in cinema and TV shows I'm wondering if they will either revamp Jessie Bannon from The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest or just create a new female character. Jessie didn't bother me the way that Venus de Milo did in Ninja Turtles: Next Mutation. She was no Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, but I did like her fine.
I dunno, I think Jessie was very much equivalent to Barbara Gordon in the first season. But then in Season 2, they scaled her back, put her in pink, made her more a damsel in distress...
Old 11-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
Sumac
Banned

My online Johnny Quest experience is the mid-90s series and I remember very little of it, except it was fun and had an awesome opening theme.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Jonny Quest like all the other HB franchises has a weird history, you have the original 60s show which is the "classic" the sequels looked back to like with Scooby Doo. I personally found the 60s show so boring and I hated the show. Then you have the new adventures 80s revival which was only some new episodes and edited versions of the 60s now censored for time/new standards, I'm pretty sure I never watched the 80s show but it looks rather 80s. Then later there were 2 TV movies which I also don't think I ever saw.

Then we get to the real adventures which I randomly caught and fell in love with, I couldn't believe this was actually cool unlike the original show. But then the second season was rather weird and I didn't like it and soon after the show disappeared. And you can now read about how it was production hell, executives didn't like the show they were making (the cool first season) so they fired them and made an entirely different show with a new team that tried to mimic the original show which had been the original idea but later cancelled midway through production so instead they just finished those episodes or something of the like so a lot of drama.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:16 AM   #12
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Love the original series but the other incarnations, not so much.

Personally I wish Brad Bird was directing. He is a fan of the series and seeing how good both Incredibles movies turned out.

I also wish it was a period piece that took place in the 60's like the original series.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
My online Johnny Quest experience is the mid-90s series and I remember very little of it, except it was fun and had an awesome opening theme.
Same here. This new movie sounds good, though.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I hope this movie has all the fantastical elements that were in the original series.

There's this really awesome remake of the classic intro done in stop motion animation.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #15
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here are some of my dream casting choices:

*Tom Holland as Johnny.

*Ewan McGregor as Dr. Quest.

*Dwayne Johnson or Bruce Willis as Race.

Hadji could be played by a newcomer or an up-and-coming actor. If they do decide to include Jessie, then Sadie Stanley from the upcoming live-action Kim Possible movie would be a great choice. I'm curious to see if Bandit will be an actual dog or a CGI character.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #16
Sumac
Banned

I wonder if they bring stuff from RAJQ at all.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:46 AM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

This can be interesting. Absolutely loved the 90's show and had a few of the toys
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I don't have any actual news about this movie. However, here are some people talking about a version that was never made.

Quote:

JOHNNY QUEST

MILLER: It?s a project not that many people have heard of from Fred Dekker, who [directed] Monster Squad and Night of the Creeps and more recently [cowrote] the newest Predator movie. This was going to be for Richard Donner (director of Superman and Lethal Weapon). Johnny Quest was a family adventure show in the ?60s. They ended up making fun of it with that Adult Swim show The Venture Brothers Bros. It focused on this kid who acts like an adventurer. It has a fun, sci-fi, fantasy element. Fred Dekker is one of our favorite guests. I think we?ve had him on four times. Fred is kind of known as a horror guy but he really loves James Bond. Fred is a real James Bon aficionado, his nerd-dom goes deep on that one. I think he saw Johnny Quest as a chance to do his version of a James Bond. This was going to be for Richard Donner to make. It?s one of the best scripts we?ve ever read, that just hasn?t been made.

SCARLATA: It?s one of the most painful ones that we didn't get in the mid-90s, because it would have just killed, for kids, for adults.

MILLER: Sometimes you'll read a script, and it?s a lot of fun, but you also get why it didn?t get made. Like, our most recent episode was with Eduardo S?nchez, who was one of the guys who did The Blair Witch Project. One of the scripts we talk about is this Bigfoot movie he did that would have been pretty expensive. It has a ton of Bigfoot. It?s almost got a war movie feel to it. The script was fun and we would have loved to see the movie. But it?s also like, I understand why a studio was maybe hesitant to spend a lot of money on a period piece about people after a train crash fighting an army of Bigfeet. But Johnny Quest is one of those movies where it?s like, they should have made this movie. Richard Donner should have directed this movie. It would have been so much fun.

SCARLATA: It was through Turner Pictures. That?s who Donner was working through at the time. They had a crazy slate of movies they were working on, like a Gilligan?s Island movie, Spike Lee?s Jackie Robinson bio-pic, and Michael Crichton was making this modern-day Frankenstein movie. It just bottomed-up and all those pictures went away. I think the one that lasted was that John Travolta-angel movie (Michael).
https://ew.com/movies/movies-never-made-podcast/
Old 07-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #19
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

To anyone who forgot this was a thing, Chris McKay gave an update about it the other day. A script has been turned in, but it still hasn't been given the green light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McKay
We just turned in a script for Johnny Quest that we’re really excited about. It’s gonna be a big family [movie] . What I like about Jonny Quest is that it's kind of a family that you make. We have all of your favorite Jonny Quest characters, and then some deep dives. Jonny is a character who experienced grief. His mother died, and it's about how the people around you can help you overcome grief. At the end of the day there is something about that.

"But it's also very Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's a world-hopping movie looking for a real-world artifact to stop a big global catastrophe. I really love the characters, and I really love the relationships in Jonny Quest. The writers did an amazing job. And I'm hoping that WB wants to make that movie really soon because it's going to be really cool, it's going to be a big movie like Tomorrow War, it's going to be a big-in-scope family action movie."
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/chris-...d-johnny-quest

https://collider.com/jonny-quest-mov...kay-interview/