The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I deliberately put it there. Is that an issue? If it's an issue or against the norm, I'm fine leaving it as is.
It is a bit confusing to be honest, reading a response before the message you're responding to makes it a bit hard to follow. I end up first thinking you're just writing something that isn't a response, only to discover that it is.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Sorry 'bout that. The precedent I'm used to is the opposite, but I'll try to keep that in mind.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #23
Usagi Miyamoto
Random Punk

The suggestion that it's to prevent an adult April from confusing readers makes the most sense, IMO. Also it's really not all that massively censored - though maybe Nick forced them to deage the turtles.
Usagi Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Miyamoto View Post
The suggestion that it's to prevent an adult April from confusing readers makes the most sense, IMO. Also it's really not all that massively censored - though maybe Nick forced them to deage the turtles.
It seems odd, Because you have the new TMNT movie, Which has an adult April in it, But don't see her image plastered in the covers or posters of the movie, there has to be something more to it, Perhaps its just that, They only want the main characters on the covers, April in the comics has always been a side character, Shes never at the center, Most of the time she needs rescuing.

The nick show on the other hand, is portraying April as someone who can defend herself, Especially since shes training with the Turtles often.

I think its all in the marketing, Nick sees TMNT appealing to a male demographic, and are forcing these guidelines that, They only want the Turtles in those comic book covers.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #25
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
It seems odd, Because you have the new TMNT movie, Which has an adult April in it, But don't see her image plastered in the covers or posters of the movie, there has to be something more to it, Perhaps its just that, They only want the main characters on the covers, April in the comics has always been a side character, Shes never at the center, Most of the time she needs rescuing.

The nick show on the other hand, is portraying April as someone who can defend herself, Especially since shes training with the Turtles often.

I think its all in the marketing, Nick sees TMNT appealing to a male demographic, and are forcing these guidelines that, They only want the Turtles in those comic book covers.
Archie April can defeat a bunch of Foot Soldiers and even defeated a demon alone, so it's not that. It's because of her age difference, I saw tons of kids complaining about the movie because she's an adult in it.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #26
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
Archie April can defeat a bunch of Foot Soldiers and even defeated a demon alone, so it's not that. It's because of her age difference, I saw tons of kids complaining about the movie because she's an adult in it.
Well, Blame Nick then, I wonder whose idea was to make April a teenager in the first place.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #27
Usagi Miyamoto
Random Punk

She's a POWER GURL in Nicktoons to get demographic views. A young adult scientist that serves as more of a human aide to the turtles and not a psychic alien just isn't as appealing to kids, probably.
Usagi Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi Miyamoto View Post
She's a POWER GURL in Nicktoons to get demographic views. A young adult scientist that serves as more of a human aide to the turtles and not a psychic alien just isn't as appealing to kids, probably.
And, apparently, not even a world-traveling reporter who dabbles in occasional ninja weapons training under Master Splinter makes the cut either.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Well, Blame Nick then
I do, for lots of stuff.

I wonder if enough time has passed so that it's "okay" to say out loud that Nick getting their hands on this franchise was an AWFUL thing? Because aside from "More Product", it is. The cracks are starting to show, little by little.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #30
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

But it gave us the IDW series instead of Volume 4?
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

Thank goodness for small favors.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #32
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I do, for lots of stuff.

I wonder if enough time has passed so that it's "okay" to say out loud that Nick getting their hands on this franchise was an AWFUL thing? Because aside from "More Product", it is. The cracks are starting to show, little by little.
With Nickelodeon setting the guidelines on what IDW can, and can't do, You'll never get a mature TMNT in the comics, movies, or TV. In there eyes, It's a kids property.

Its why the majority of the Merchandise you see out there, Is based on the TV show and not any other incarnation, With the except of some being based on the 80s series, But you never see any based on the IDW ones.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #33
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Okay. I know the good guys can't kill anyone in IDW, but at least it's much more mature than the show. We have the past lives Turtles being beheaded as children, plenty of mild swearing, some philosophical stuff, a very well crafted storyline, and plenty of discussion about killing! Lol. I think that the Nick show and the movie are not in the same league as IDW.

Maybe I still would prefer Tristan Jones's gang wars stories from Tales Vol. 2, but not everything from the sale is bad.

Still, WTF about no April on the covers.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #34
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Yet Nickelodeon has a problem having April O'Neil showing on a cover for the comics
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #35
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
With Nickelodeon setting the guidelines on what IDW can, and can't do, You'll never get a mature TMNT in the comics, movies, or TV. In there eyes, It's a kids property.

Its why the majority of the Merchandise you see out there, Is based on the TV show and not any other incarnation, With the except of some being based on the 80s series, But you never see any based on the IDW ones.
No kidding, and I knew however many years ago that was going to be the case. And I was against it.

People better enjoy whatever we have now, because this is as "good" as things under Nick's watch are ever gonna be. And they ain't great. It's only a matter of time until Nick gets nervous about IDW's portrayal and decides to pull the plug. Just wait.

Nick takes things and keeps them in a little box marked "Just For Kiddies". I understand it, but it's why I knew from the start that it was a huge mistake for them to get this property. I think Laird knew it, too, but was completely fed up and didn't care anymore. I mean, I get it, that's a lot of money he made off that deal, he never has to worry or care about anything ever again.

I just don't like it. Their "meddling" has been pretty small potatoes so far, but you can see how they're slowly digging their hooks in deeper.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think you're going into conspiracy theory territory here. Nick isn't going to sabotage the IDW series or force them to cancel the book unless the series tanks in sales which shouldn't be for a good while yet.

Nick has allowed IDW to show death in the comic so its not like its a Saturday morning cartoon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

Like I said, it's gonna take a while, but it will happen. There ain't no "conspiracy", it's how business works and how They do business.

They "allow" the book to exist as a token gesture for the older fans. They also know nothing that happens in the book will affect fans of the TV show, because Nobody Reads Comic Books, and those who do are not the main audience for the cartoon. Yes, there is some cross-over, but it's minimal. Not everyone who reads the book watches the show, and most people who watch the show don't read the book. Comic sales across the board are slipping because of the ridiculous 3 and 4-dollar price point, so it's only a matter of time before Nick decides that they just don't want to keep the book going, especially since it's so contradictory to the "real" TMNT, the ones in the cartoons and movies.

Might take a few years, but it'll happen. First the books will get the ax, because they're not making any huge money from that arm of the business anyway; it's just a "Gift" for the older fans. Then, when the cartoon's ratings slip (and I don't know what the ratings are, but the plots they've been coming up with show they're already scraping the bottom as far as ideas, so that's also gonna happen sooner rather than later), that will get pulled as well. They'll still have the movies, until the box office drops around part 3 or 4 (which is what happens with every franchise of this nature), and by then, they'll be all out of patience and stick TMNT on a shelf entirely for at least ten years, until they decide it's "relevant" again. Or they could decide it's not worth it, and just keep it on the shelf and just make money off of DVDs forever, which is a great way to maximize profits while minimizing costs on their end.

It's really not at all hard to see how easily it can happen OR how likely it is. Nick as a company does not have a great track record for these kinds of things. It's just too Corporate.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

But what you're saying is obvious, and happens with every franchise. It goes through a cycle and then comes to an end. I don't think anyone is expecting the IDW comic to run forever. Likewise the cartoon will probably last similar to the 4kids run.

I mean everything you're saying is common sense and we knew this back in the Mirage and 4kids days of the early 2000's too.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Except Nick isn't well-known for ever bringing that stuff back once it's outlived its peak popularity. Once it's "done" this time, it might be a loooong time, if ever, before they bring it back.

If you're cool with that, fine. But if this is the "last gasp" of the franchise, it would be nice if it were a little bit better across the board. And I have a strong feeling it would be, if Anyone Else were handling it.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Except Nick isn't well-known for ever bringing that stuff back once it's outlived its peak popularity. Once it's "done" this time, it might be a loooong time, if ever, before they bring it back.

If you're cool with that, fine. But if this is the "last gasp" of the franchise, it would be nice if it were a little bit better across the board. And I have a strong feeling it would be, if Anyone Else were handling it.
Its the third reboot, I'm fine if this is the last one for awhile. The Nick cartoon will probably last as long as the 4kids show, and the IDW comic will probably make it to issue 100 (and if you count their specials and mini's there are already nearly 100 IDW TMNT comics).

The only other older TMNT universe that can still continue is Mirage, and that's only until PL finishes Volume 4 anyway.

Tags
april o'neil, idw, nickelodeon, unpublished material