The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #81
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It's the same thing with TMNT - it's a story about four humanoid turtles rised by a rat, fighting against guy who covers himself in cheese graters, leading a clan with a hilarious name.
It would be rather hilarious to convince me, or anyone else for that matter, that such premise is anything but parody-tier. Yet, it doesn't mean that it should effect your or anyone else's enjoyment of stories about them.
We call that Crisler's Law around here...
Old 01-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #82
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Of all people, I never suspected Sumac would succumb to it...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #83
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I personally suspect that you like getting a reaction, and otherwise wouldn't bother posting a lot of what you do about things you only half-care about, but if you say that's not true, then fine, I guess I have to believe you. "May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house", and all that jazz.
Someone who loves to provoke shouldn't point about it at other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Of all people, I never suspected Sumac would succumb to it...
Admitting absurdity of the premise shouldn't intervene with enjoyment from the story.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #84
Leo656
The Franchise

l actually don't, I just speak my mind and am forever on the defensive against people who 1: Don't agree (which is technically fine), and 2: Firmly reject anything that challenges their pre-formed opinion and start insulting me for not sharing their views (which is NOT fine).

That's hardly provoking. The person who replies to the slings and arrows of others in a dismissive or even hostile manner may be hyper-defensive, but not a provocateur. I've never once in 15 years instigated anything around this place. Fan the flames once the fire's already lit? Sure, but we all do that.

Long story short, the person who pushes back, by definition, cannot be the instigator. I treat everyone exactly the same around here. You're projecting.

It would go a long way if you'd simply admit that you engage with me (and others) in a semi-antagonistic manner, and always have before we even "met", simply because you get a kick out of it. You wouldn't be the first or last to poke me just to see sparks. I'm used to it. But I don't respect the "I didn't provoke, you're just sensitive" routine. Again, you lashed out at me when I didn't even know you, when I wasn't here to reply or defend myself. You were reprimanded for it. We got off to a bad start, and years later we're still here. I'm just being honest: I have done my level best to be "neutral" with you until it became clear that you simply find it more fun to try and get my goat. If other people see it, it's not in my head.

We'll never be friends, but I only respect people who are honest. If your problem with me is because I'm "dismissive" or "elitist" or whatever else you've accused me of, you should know it's because I remain highly suspect of your intentions. Not because of your political views or your taste in movies or games or whatever. If I've sassed you, it's because you come off to me like a sh*t-disturber.

The burden of proof is on the accused, in this case, since many people feel even more strongly than I do about it. As I said once before, I've defended you many times. Why I bothered, given our interactions, I don't know. "It's what Christ would do," I guess is as good a reason as any.

I don't know, man. My PM box is completely full, so we can't hash it out in private. But I know I speak for everyone in saying that this thing with you and I has run its course, and it would be nice if it stopped ruining threads.

That's all I got. Other than, if you can find it in yourself to NOT call the above plea for sanity simply me "running away from an argument", I will find a way to buy you a drink. Your choice. Beer or vodka or anti-freeze or whatever the hell it is you people drink. I'll make it happen.

Meanwhile, I'm sure everyone would prefer this thread go back to talking about how ugly Captain Marvel's "boot" things are and how cheap the shoulder pads look. Y'know, things that matter.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 01-26-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #85
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Leo, I think you're beating a dead horse. Or yelling at the clouds. Well, something like that. Ain't ever gonna happen. The sign is literally right there for EVERYONE to read.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #86
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
- snip -
The guy who spouts 50 shades of different **** and when called out, backtracks with "it's just irony, muh dude" reads me a lecture on how my intentions are suspect and dishonest. I'd find it funny, if it wasn't so sad.

Maybe when you get over your own ego we can talk normally, until than, I will take an immense pleasure by having fun at your expense, by seeing how you trip over your own ego, size of Jupiter.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:10 AM   #87
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Yeah, men in bright tights and women in bikini armor averting end of the world from the crazy scientists, psychotic aliens and whatnot is an pinnacle of dramatic writing.
there is nothing wrong with playing things straight, with things like TMNT the show is best when it is, the funniest part is when it is taken straight faced without chuckling.

Some of my favorite stories of recent years has been coming form Kamen Rider (Gaim, Ex-aid, and Build) and by concept alone it is hilarious but it being played straight is what really keeps the attention.

Sometimes you can get some deep characters like Kamen Rider Baron who is a Banana Knight and his dream of eleminating the concept of weakness by becoming the very idea of power that would crush any poor man's idea to usurp him, it's the same thought process that leads to those types of stories where a dictator would create a faux utopia by eliminating negative emotions

Show like the above can be silly at time by can still be taken serious because of it's writing are the best.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #88
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Show like the above can be silly at time by can still be taken serious because of it's writing are the best.
That's what I am talking about: silly concept doesn't mean that the story itself should be silly.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #89
Leo656
The Franchise

In defense of my ego: I'm undefeated in the Carolinas. Nobody else here can say that.

It's an astonishing 1-0 record, but it's gonna stand forever so long as I never go back.

GOD OF THUNDAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #90
Leo656
The Franchise

https://screenrant.com/shazam-movie-...ption-preview/

Nothing we don't already know, really. Just extended descriptions of scenes from the trailers, mostly.
Spoiler:
I like the Black Adam tease that sets up that film, given that he's allegedly not in this film at all, besides being hinted at.

It's also not mentioned in this article, but other articles have come out where the filmmakers won't confirm or deny using a Fake Shemp in order to show a Cavill-less, chest-only "Superman" cameo, but according to test screenings that's a scene near the end of the film. Which sounds like a terrible idea (and allegedly didn't go over well at the aforementioned test screenings, either).

Altogether, it sounds alright but it still feels like Levi's just too much of a goof. My expectations for this one are moderate but hopeful, with the hopes for a much better and less "silly" sequel after the Black Adam film comes out. I imagine the plan has always been to do one movie each, and then the movie where they finally fight, which should be suitably epic if both of these films do alright. That will ultimately be an interesting contrast in styles, since this movie is very explicitly going for comedy and Black Adam... well... absolutely no room for comedy whatsoever in that. Especially if his film goes into all the stuff with Isis and all that. Really more "tragic horror" than anything.

Spoiler:
Since it appears that he won't be in this one - at least not a major presence - I strongly feel that the Black Adam movie will be a "flashback prequel" similar to Wonder Woman, explaining the full story that The Wizard only hints at to Billy.

Which should be really cool to see. But it'll then take a delicate hand to weave this movie and that movie into a "balanced" movie that finally has them fight.

We shall see. Pretty sure I can guess what the long-term story they're planning is, and I'm looking forward to it. Those boots, though... blech! Fix that and we're good.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #91
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 03-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #92
drgon78
Mad Scientist

This movie looks like it will be a lot of fun.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #93
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Jim Vejvoda
‏Verified account @JimVejvoda
3m3 minutes ago

Zachary Levi was born to play #Shazam He delivers lots of laughs alongside co-star Jack Dylan Grazer. The film packs some big surprises for comics buffs and offers enough mainstream appeal to win over new fans. Shazam’s strengths definitely outweigh its weaknesses.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #94
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

http://collider.com/shazam-reviews/?...twitter#images

Everyone is loving Shazam so far
Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #96
Turo602
The King of Kings

Just saw Shazam. It was pretty good. Shazam lends himself pretty well to humor and it was done really well without compromising the serious moments of the film, except for maybe one scene that was addressing a supervillain trope in the middle of a fight for comedic effect. I'm still not the biggest fan of Zachery Levi as Shazam but whatever, the film works. It wasn't amazing but it does have heart. I liked it a little more than Captain Marvel. There was a couple of surprises I didn't see coming at all, and there was a mid and post credits scene so stay for both.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:51 AM   #97
neatoman
Emperor

I haven't bothered much with the character since the official name change. How do writers get around Shazam being both his name and the code word for the transformation? How can he say "My name is Shazam" without turning back into Billy?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #98
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't get that either. Granted, I haven't read much DC since the New 52 disaster.

I assume it's one of those, "The gods somehow understand whether or not he's saying the word with intent" kinda things. Which is stupid, but it's really all they can feasibly come up with.
----------

The reviews for this are giving me "Ragnarok" flashbacks, in that, they're all positive, BUT, more or less saying "It's great when it tries to be a goofy comedy, and bad when it tries to be a super-hero movie". And whenever I watch the trailers, I'm loving the parts that are played straight (like the transformation scene when he jumps off the roof, for example) but the "funny" bits are just cringe.

You cannot do Shazam/Captain Marvel without SOME humor, it's always been more lighthearted than most super-hero fare, but my fears were that it would be overdone and misplaced, and that seems to be the case. At least based on what the critics are saying.

I'm generally used to Cap being the "straight man" and the situations around him being what's absurd, but the trailers all make him out to be a total clown, which I don't care for. I'll probably like it fine, but going by the reviews, I have no idea how this one is ever gonna reconcile with a "Black Adam" movie down the road. Black Adam is a character who literally rips people in half for mildly annoying him, so his eventual film should by rights be pretty dark. I'm not sure how the two movies would flow into a team-up (or "Vs.", rather) movie that was anything less than complete tonal whiplash from scene-to-scene.

I'll probably go see it when I get paid but I'm not expecting more than a B+ out of it. I wish they'd used Jerry Ordway's stuff as the base rather than the New 52.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #99
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Shazam Certifed Fresh at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes

Its higher than Captain Girl Power
Old 04-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #100
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Going to see Shazam in 3d because my movie theater's 2d showings don't work for me timewise

Tags
cuckam!, edgelordsliketags, sjwazam!